Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is arguably the most head shaking decision Valve have ever made.
All this does is increase scamming, not prevent it. And now Steam Support doesn't have to reverse any scams since people will be sending via gift.
Nope, This is a smart move by Valve. It "encourages" people to buy directly from Steam instead of people circumventing the regional price differences of games and trading cheaper Steam games for keys. Its not like Valve is blind and doesn't know Russians are buying cheap games and selling them to other Steam users vai the "trading" system. It also cuts down the Steam Support of people getting revoked gifts from issues with purchaser's payment method (ie stolen credit cards)

Increased Scamming? That's the risk cheapasses takes.

Though people can still "trade," they just have to wait 30 days so I doubt key trading will die. Also, there is always the options of the old-school "middle-man" in terms of trading just like the good old days.

Nope, This is a smart move by Valve. It "encourages" people to buy directly from Steam instead of people circumventing the regional price differences of games and trading cheaper Steam games for keys. Its not like Valve is blind and doesn't know Russians are buying cheap games and selling them to other Steam users vai the "trading" system. It also cuts down the Steam Support of people getting revoked gifts from issues with purchaser's payment method (ie stolen credit cards)

They could just region lock everything if they wanted to stop russian traders. They don't have to kill trading off.

They could just region lock everything if they wanted to stop russian traders. They don't have to kill trading off.
How is trading "killed off?" You just have to wait 30 days and you can always "gift" the item. Furthermore, before Valve implemented the trading system on Steam, people trade keys and games too. It was either done via trust or via a middle-man.

Bit of a exaggeration to say "trading" is now dead.

How is trading "killed off?" You just have to wait 30 days and you can always "gift" the item. Furthermore, before Valve implemented the trading system on Steam, people trade keys and games too. It was either done via trust or via a middle-man.

Bit of a exaggeration to say "trading" is now dead.
Having to wait 30 days to trade = trading killed off. Ain't nobody got time for that. Gifting isn't trading, technically. I'm talking about the trade feature.

No, it's not an exaggeration. The trading "feature" will be dead.

Having to wait 30 days to trade = trading killed off. Ain't nobody got time for that. Gifting isn't trading, technically. I'm talking about the trade feature.
Semantics

the-farside-labels.jpg

You can still gift games but you can't trade them? What's to stop people from just gifting the games in separate transactions
absolutely_nothing.png

Alright, spoder, quit whispering your terrible ideas in Gabe's all-too-receptive ears.
the Emperor Gaben is all knowing and all seeing... and starting Nov 26, our tributes to him will be inevitable.

(seriously, Steam has nothing to do with their time than limiting trade? How about increasing their customer service quality? Crack down on Early Access scam? Have better scrunity over Greenlight program? Offer grace period for game purchase and better term of refund? and the list goes on and on and on....)

the Emperor Gaben is all knowing and all seeing... and starting Nov 26, our tributes to him will be inevitable.

(seriously, Steam has nothing to do with their time than limiting trade? How about increasing their customer service quality? Crack down on Early Access scam? Have better scrunity over Greenlight program? Offer grace period for game purchase and better term of refund? and the list goes on and on and on....)
Well now that those trading thugs have been put in their place they can finally focus on some of those less important things you mentioned

Why do all that work? All people seem care about is where to get the cheapest Steam games.

What are you going to do about it? Start using ORIGIN? Or UPLAY? or Rockstar Social Network? Or Stardock's Impulse? or whatever that Gamefly desktop app was? Or GMG's Capsule? (almost forgot that one...lol)

w7hCL6z.png

No, it's not an exaggeration. The trading "feature" will be dead.
agree rip valve it going to hell to i make movie call the rise of facebook and the fall of facebook the rise of steam the fall of valve wiat i mean umnnm cyrus rise to power cyrus rise um....
GOG Galaxy.
i use cd of backyard baseball destoryiing pitch with 5hrs a game 20-25 runs a game oh yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Anyone in denial that the 30 days rule will kill "trading" isn't thinking about it from the standpoint of the seller.

If I were a seller, I certainly wouldn't want to have unproductive inventory sitting around for 30 days. Not only would my money be tied up for a long time, but there's always the risk that the game might drop in price in that 30 day period. Plus a lot of activity takes place right around the time a game is released, a sale occurs, or a price glitch makes a game especially attractive.

I can't say that I'm surprised. There's quite an industry that has built up around game resale and gifting is the safest and most attractive way for most buyers.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/11/25/expanded-dark-souls-2-coming-to-smite-xbox-one-ps4-owners/

Hey, an updated version of Dark Souls II is coming out. It's a little confusing (Japanese publishers, ladies and gents!) but basically it's a GOTY edition with all 3 DLC, improved graphics, rebalanced gameplay, and better matchmaking. And all that stuff (except the DLC) will be available as a free update if you already own the game. Cool.

Oh and it's coming to next-gen kitty-cat scratching posts too but who cares.

Anyone in denial that the 30 days rule will kill "trading" isn't thinking about it from the standpoint of the seller.

If I were a seller, I certainly wouldn't want to have unproductive inventory sitting around for 30 days. Not only would my money be tied up for a long time, but there's always the risk that the game might drop in price in that 30 day period. Plus a lot of activity takes place right around the time a game is released, a sale occurs, or a price glitch makes a game especially attractive.

I can't say that I'm surprised. There's quite an industry that has built up around game resale and gifting is the safest and most attractive way for most buyers.
Valve doesn't give a shit about the "seller" and people who resells games for profit. A for-profit company caring about profits and changing policies to increase profits? Of course, they are going to limit trading.

But Seriously, unless you are in denial about the new policy (or choose to remain ignorant to continue pouting over the trade policy change), gifting HASN'T changed so traders will still be able to trade (money, keys and etc).

Glitches will happen, Traders will take advantage of said glitches and buy multiple gift copies. Traders will sell the gift copies and buyers will have some risk (in being scammed) in buying from said trader as oppose to safely buying from Steam.

It'll just be more risky and take more 2 seperate transactions like the old-days before Valve implemented trade system and just has the gifting system.

But whatever, trading is now dead as declared by CAG so it must be true.

Valve doesn't give a shit about the "seller" and people who resells games for profit. A for-profit company caring about profits and changing policies to increase profits? Of course, they are going to limit trading.
Well, Valve should care. They profit every time someone buys keys off of the market, along with anything else on the market.. The main reason they're going along with this change has to be the reduction in chargeback fraud. I think if that wasn't an issue, they'd keep trading as it was, because it'd be more profitable for them.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/11/25/expanded-dark-souls-2-coming-to-smite-xbox-one-ps4-owners/

Hey, an updated version of Dark Souls II is coming out. It's a little confusing (Japanese publishers, ladies and gents!) but basically it's a GOTY edition with all 3 DLC, improved graphics, rebalanced gameplay, and better matchmaking. And all that stuff (except the DLC) will be available as a free update if you already own the game. Cool.

Oh and it's coming to next-gen kitty-cat scratching posts too but who cares.
I'm wondering whether they'll address the lighting issue or not in the graphics upgrade. Also wondering what they mean by rebalanced gameplay. Either way it's worth waiting for if DS2 is on your wishlist. The DLC was great....the level design was much, much better than in those dlcs than the base game. I'm still crossing my fingers for more dlc...there was that Steamdb update that got my hopes up for it, so we'll see.

Edit: I'm actually really interested in this now. The link claims that there will be new npcs, item descriptions, and an expanded story. Wondering what that's about. Also claims there will be improved lighting effects.

Dispenser.tf and TF2 Outpost are surely going to take a big hit on any upcoming game sales with the new trade rule. Brutal.

I wonder how this will affect the key buying & selling market on Steam. Historically prices adjust during the bigger Steam seasonal event sales. 

Well, Valve should care. They profit every time someone buys keys off of the market, along with anything else on the market.. The main reason they're going along with this change has to be the reduction in chargeback fraud. I think if that wasn't an issue, they'd keep trading as it was, because it'd be more profitable for them.

Though people can still "trade," they just have to wait 30 days so I doubt key trading will die. Also, there is always the options of the old-school "middle-man" in terms of trading just like the good old days.
Already mentioned this in my 1st post but some people were too busy screaming bloody murder to trading games in Steam

In the end, all this bickering doesn't matter. Haven't dealt with trading keys for games for years so this policy changes doesn't affect me at all. :-({|=

Already mentioned this in my 1st post but some people were too busy screaming bloody murder to trading games in Steam
So? I implied it in my post too..

All this does is increase scamming, not prevent it. And now Steam Support doesn't have to reverse any scams since people will be sending via gift.
Are you Lord Gaben's official white knight?

So? I implied it in my post too..

Are you Lord Gaben's official white knight?
35t564.jpg

How cute, is this your first time on the Internet?

EDIT:

My other joke was that "I'm still mad over Be Mine 15" and want to some start shit with you

EDIT2:

Alt joke

Why don't you first stop being a white knight to Russian traders?

But seriously, I'm on break and bored on the Internet. Starting shit up over NOTHING is what the forums are for. Don't take anything so seriously dude (especially if its type in yellow). :lol:

I'm wondering whether they'll address the lighting issue or not in the graphics upgrade. Also wondering what they mean by rebalanced gameplay. Either way it's worth waiting for if DS2 is on your wishlist. The DLC was great....the level design was much, much better than in those dlcs than the base game. I'm still crossing my fingers for more dlc...there was that Steamdb update that got my hopes up for it, so we'll see.

Edit: I'm actually really interested in this now. The link claims that there will be new npcs, item descriptions, and an expanded story. Wondering what that's about. Also claims there will be improved lighting effects.
Edit: Yeah, looks like the graphics and multiplayer updates probably *won't* be included in the free patch.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=140312641#post140312641

and

https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUS/status/537116722864467968

Sounds like a typical loyalty discount thing to me. I'd be pretty annoyed if I already had the season pass.

35t564.jpg

How cute, is this your first time on the Internet?

EDIT:

My other joke was that "I'm still mad over Be Mine 15" and want to some start shit with you

But seriously, I'm on break and bored on the Internet. Starting shit up over NOTHING is what the forums are for. Don't take anything so seriously dude (especially if its type in yellow). :lol:
I never took anything you said seriously, but maybe that's hard to know because I almost never use YCS

On the bright side, at least we are discussing (or arguing, however you want to look at it) about this as oppose to "what's happening in Missouri"  :whistle2:

Afterall, its just games and its all meaningless compared to ALL the other things

The main reason they're going along with this change has to be the reduction in chargeback fraud. I think if that wasn't an issue, they'd keep trading as it was, because it'd be more profitable for them.
They could have made 30-day-old wallet funds = instant tradeable (and limit marketability of keys, items, etc. to 30 days after purchase), but that would have been too sensible.

They could have made 30-day-old wallet funds = instant tradeable (and limit marketability of keys, items, etc. to 30 days after purchase), but that would have been too sensible.
Where the fuck were you? You're late!

EDIT:

Sense? Sense?... No one has time for that all that work! Valve's all about the dollars & "cents"

fuck you valve for destroying dreams.

Edit: Yeah, looks like the graphics and multiplayer updates probably *won't* be included in the free patch.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=140312641#post140312641

and

https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUS/status/537116722864467968

Sounds like a typical loyalty discount thing to me. I'd be pretty annoyed if I already had the season pass.
※Windows(DirectX.9対応)版からWindows(DirectX.11対応)版へのアップグレードはできません。

"- You cannot upgrade Windows (DirectX9) version to the Windows (DirectX11) version."

Maybe this means no loyalty discount?

4200 yen (~$40) for digital copy GOTY version, no boxed version = Dark Souls 2 + Season Pass

5200 yen (~$50) for digital copy DX11 version, 5520 yen for boxed version

I guess I'll wait for discount on DX11 version.

http://darksouls.jp/pc/scholar_of_the_first_sin_specmatrix.html

http://www.4gamer.net/games/196/G019662/20141125021/

I don't think I implied that Valve cared about the welfare of the seller, if that is what you are saying. Or maybe you're restating/rephrasing what I said as a point of emphasis -- can't tell.

But Seriously, unless you are in denial about the new policy (or choose to remain ignorant to continue pouting over the trade policy change), gifting HASN'T changed so traders will still be able to trade (money, keys and etc).

Glitches will happen, Traders will take advantage of said glitches and buy multiple gift copies. Traders will sell the gift copies and buyers will have some risk (in being scammed) in buying from said trader as oppose to safely buying from Steam.

It'll just be more risky and take more 2 seperate transactions like the old-days before Valve implemented trade system and just has the gifting system.

But whatever, trading is now dead as declared by CAG so it must be true.
Time will tell, but I think it'll make a bigger difference than do you. I've traded keys for gifts a number of times because that's a pretty safe transaction. Very rarely have I given anyone Paypal for a key/gift, and it certainly was not to a random trader. That just exceeds my comfort level.

I'm not "pouting", I'm just stating my position based on my own opinion, and I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't many more people that feel the same way. I do believe that it will affect the trading business and I know for a fact that it will affect my own willingness to jump in on the occasional price variance. By the time that 30 day window has closed, I expect trading inventory (reflecting the lower price) to be minimal or non-existent.

It is what it is. Valve isn't going to change their position because it benefits them, and I doubt I'll change mine either. //moving on

So sellers lose the convenience of those make-a-trade-offer unique links, and increase their risk of being flagged, but they benefit from a more loyal customer base. Guh.

In regards to that Steam gift card promo at Best Buy:

f164bd3fb5.png

Not that that's definitive but still, :poop:

Thanksgiving sale confirmed?  No Midweek Madness and a 24 hour daily.  I hope against hope they will bring back the Friends & Family sale from 2010 when you could buy like 10 packs of games.  Organizing group buys is fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back