Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe it when Rockstar themselves announce it on their site; and when every major publication like Polygon, PC Gamer, Joystiq, IGN, GameSpot, etc is running the story.
You mean you don't believe a non-gaming Korean site where all the comments talk about how the site is notorious for fake articles? I wouldn't either, but it's not like they wrote the article in YCS or something.

You mean you don't believe a non-gaming Korean site where all the comments talk about how the site is notorious for fake articles? I wouldn't either, but it's not like they wrote the article in YCS or something.
We have a better chance of getting LA Noire 2 and GTA6 first on the PC.

The best hope for a RDR PC port is if they remake it for XBO/PS4. iirc the code was so FUBAR that it being released in the first place was a miracle.

The best hope for a RDR PC port is if they remake it for XBO/PS4. iirc the code was so FUBAR that it being released in the first place was a miracle.
RDR is the 3rd best selling franchise for Rockstar. No doubt that there'll be sequel.. for the console crowd at least

RDR is the 3rd best selling franchise for Rockstar. No doubt that there'll be sequel.. for the console crowd at least
Yup, I don't see them leaving it untouched for too long... I also think RDR will get released on the XBone and PS4 (and PC just because the architecture is pretty much the same) as I'm sure it will be extremely profitable with console gamers being so willing to buy the same game over and over again.

Re: Red Dead Redemption sequel speculation

I'm surprised there hasn't been any official announcement, or even any confirmed rumors. RDR came out almost 4.5 years ago and sold great. For comparison, the gap between GTA IV and V release dates was about five years. It's been almost that time since RDR was released without a peep regarding a future installment.

I'm going to move the discussion away from never-happenings to totally-happenings for a moment, if that's ok. I'd like to talk about gem sacks. In particular, the price of gem sacks.

When gems returned to the market, they were around £0.33, I think? I checked this morning and they're £0.50 and rising.

The auctions go live tonight so I'm just wondering if we're seeing a spike in the gem price? At these levels it's cheaper to cash out of gems and buy the game you want (with a discount) as opposed to bidding in gems.

Example: I've bid 1897 gems on TinyKeep (RRP £10.99) which placed me #13 in the bidding order. At this level, I'm paying just under ~£4 for the game. But when I placed the bid, it was more like £2.50.

I think we'll get a clearer picture when the first auctions end tonight and prices settle down a bit (I suspect a number of "high bids" are unrealistically high) but in the meantime it does throw up an interesting point of what to do with gem sacks; I'm sat on around 29000 gems in total and have more stuff I can cash in if needs be.

giphy.gif

p.s. Yes, I've finally seen that film and yes, that's absolutely what I do all day.

I only saw the Honest Trailer and it reinforced my conviction that I never wanted to see the film in its entirety.
I can at least confirm that I've never eaten a live goldfish.

Occasionally at work I get calls from people who've been shafted by firms exactly like Stratton Oakmont (DiCaprio's firm). I used to have to spend half an hour explaining how they'd never see their money again. Now I just tell them to watch Wolf of Wall Street instead. I'm sure that little old lady (Doris) I spoke to last week will be really happy about it and find it very informative.

When gems returned to the market, they were around £0.33, I think? I checked this morning and they're £0.50 and rising.

The auctions go live tonight so I'm just wondering if we're seeing a spike in the gem price? At these levels it's cheaper to cash out of gems and buy the game you want (with a discount) as opposed to bidding in gems.

Example: I've bid 1897 gems on TinyKeep (RRP £10.99) which placed me #13 in the bidding order. At this level, I'm paying just under ~£4 for the game. But when I placed the bid, it was more like £2.50.

I think we'll get a clearer picture when the first auctions end tonight and prices settle down a bit (I suspect a number of "high bids" are unrealistically high) but in the meantime it does throw up an interesting point of what to do with gem sacks; I'm sat on around 29000 gems in total and have more stuff I can cash in if needs be.
The two options are keeping the gems and using them to craft boosters for high-priced cards or selling them at peak. Right now I'm seeing card prices drop on the few that I've checked and I think the booster-creator has all but guaranteed to dampen prices for the foreseeable future. My inclination right now is to sell the gems.

But you're right, we'll have a much better picture of things once this first inflated auction concludes. It's very clever of Valve to have non-winning bids carry over because they've effectively made a buying-queue for overpriced games, while giving you the sense that you've "won" something. My guess is that right now people are buying the sacks in fear of not having enough to "win". Once things settle down we'll see whether or not the winning bids gradually decline or if they spike again.

Someone said it here earlier though, that gem sack prices would gradually fall in line with booster pack prices, and I think that's probably right. Now that the rock-bottom-priced community items have been obliterated (turned in to gems), that just leaves badge crafting as the sole source of gems (grinding cards has to low of a yield, imo). I'd be surprised if, in the end, they don't raise booster creation prices because in the process of burning the bottom layer of community items, they've also harmed the booster and high-tier card prices.

During the summer sale, foil badge crafts for the summer event yielded 5 times the swag that regular event badges did. Can anyone recall if that applied to non-event foil badges as well? I don't think it did, but I'm not 100 percent certain.

[SIZE=12pt]I find myself halfway to completion on the SpaceChem foil badge after an amazing run of luck between my main & alt account. The foil card prices are so cheap, that I think I'm just gonna buy the missing cards (for about 45 cents total) and craft the badge. I'm gonna do it either way, but if there is an upside to crafting it during the sale, I might as well wait a few days to craft it.[/SIZE]

I can at least confirm that I've never eaten a live goldfish.

Occasionally at work I get calls from people who've been shafted by firms exactly like Stratton Oakmont (DiCaprio's firm). I used to have to spend half an hour explaining how they'd never see their money again. Now I just tell them to watch Wolf of Wall Street instead. I'm sure that little old lady (Doris) I spoke to last week will be really happy about it and find it very informative.
This is exactly why I never wanted to see the movie. The idea of glorifying the lifestyle of this clown who f*cked over a whole lot of people to enrich himself (and I mean, seriously enrich himself) is more repugnant to me than 1,000 Horrid Henry-Bad Rats hybrids. The worst part is that he actually made money as a consultant on the film, so, in effect, every person who watches it is putting money into this dirtbag's pockets. As far as I'm concerned, this guy and everyone like him aren't worth scraping off the bottom of my shoe.

This is exactly why I never wanted to see the movie. The idea of glorifying the lifestyle of this clown who f*cked over a whole lot of people to enrich himself (and I mean, seriously enrich himself) is more repugnant to me than 1,000 Horrid Henry-Bad Rats hybrids. The worst part is that he actually made money as a consultant on the film, so, in effect, every person who watches it is putting money into this dirtbag's pockets. As far as I'm concerned, this guy and everyone like him aren't worth scraping off the bottom of my shoe.
I watched it, and I wish I hadn't. You've definitely got the right idea. I would have rather spent three hours farming cards, categorizing my backlog...or pretty much anything else, really. I would have rather read MysterD DRM rants for three hours, how's that?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/311340/

METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES

Minimum:
OS: Windows Vista SP2 x64, Windows 7 x64, Windows 8 x64 (64-bit OS Required)
Processor: Core i5-4460 (3.40GHz) or better *Quad-Core or better
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 (4GB) or better (DirectX 11 graphics card required)
DirectX: Version 11
Hard Drive: 4 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card (Surround Sound 5.1)

Core i5-4460 really?

We need MysterD to begin starting petitions on change.org.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/311340/

METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES

Minimum:
OS: Windows Vista SP2 x64, Windows 7 x64, Windows 8 x64 (64-bit OS Required)
Processor: Core i5-4460 (3.40GHz) or better *Quad-Core or better
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 (4GB) or better (DirectX 11 graphics card required)
DirectX: Version 11
Hard Drive: 4 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card (Surround Sound 5.1)

Core i5-4460 really?

We need MysterD to begin starting petitions on change.org.
Can I watch Wolf of Wall Street with those specs? Or do I need to upgrade?

Anyone in here still buying keys/gifts on TF2Outpost, Steamtrades, Dispenser, or any of those type of sites? If so, and you have a few minutes, please PM me, as I have a couple questions about all the changes that have taken place recently (and don't need to clutter the thread with my curiosity). Thanks.

Ikeda, you certainly are.

Also, Steam Auctions are now LIVE. We've had the first two rounds already and I'm finding it to be terribly engaging.

I'd also love to know who paid 9000 gems for Crimsonlabd - wasn't it bundled a couple of weeks back?

LET THE GAMES BEGIN.

:whee:

Also, Steam Auctions are now LIVE. We've had the first two rounds already and I'm finding it to be terribly engaging.

I'd also love to know who paid 9000 gems for Crimsonlabd - wasn't it bundled a couple of weeks back?

LET THE GAMES BEGIN.

same person willing to spend 60-80$ on a copy of CSGO

Prices look nearly as high (if not higher, in some cases) with each round. Gem prices are going up and the number of gem bags on the market has dipped slightly.

One nice thing -- I've already gotten a booster pack drop this morning. Thanks for crafting badges, guys!

LET THE GAMES BEGIN.

I kinda want to win an auction just to get the special badge. For someone like me who's really only interested in the badge, the best strategy is to bid on some crappy bundle game that isn't gonna cost them as much as the AAA games. Of course, even for me, 9,000 gems is frickin' crazy.

I'll wait and see if I can snag something for 1,000 or so. If not, oh well.

I want that badge too. But will wait until all this craziness stops. If not, I'll live without it

Prices look nearly as high (if not higher, in some cases) with each round. Gem prices are going up and the number of gem bags on the market has dipped slightly.

One nice thing -- I've already gotten a booster pack drop this morning. Thanks for crafting badges, guys!
Someone in the Poopees AOL 90s chat room claimed that there's still a gem exploit, and it's not really costing them anything hence the crazy bids, just that people found a different way around it than the previous exploit Valve fixed. Something to do with trading or some such.

He wouldn't give specifics and I'm too lazy and don't care enough to search around the net for more info.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN.

It is a great twin stick survival shooter though. Played it a bunch the other day and I highly recommend trying it to anyone that hasn't yet.

I'll have to see if I can get some local MP going with it later today

Someone in the Poopees AOL 90s chat room claimed that there's still a gem exploit, and it's not really costing them anything hence the crazy bids, just that people found a different way around it than the previous exploit Valve fixed. Something to do with trading or some such.

He wouldn't give specifics and I'm too lazy and don't care enough to search around the net for more info.
If I didn't have a steam account with over a thousand dollars sunk into it to risk, I might look into it and give it a try.

Gem sack prices have gone up 20% in the last hour or so.

It's clearly because of all of the Wolf-ness in this thread.

P.s. Anybody think this is a pump-n-dump scam? #conspiracy

Gem sack prices have gone up 20% in the last hour or so.

It's clearly because of all of the Wolf-ness in this thread.

P.s. Anybody think this is a pump-n-dump scam? #conspiracy
$0.99 was clearly a motivating factor to sell. I watched the number of sacks on the market jump from ~9,000 to ~11,000 in less than 30 minutes.

in "i buy too many shitty bundles" news, i already have 10 of the 12 games in the weekly deals(missing Flashout 2 and Uprising 44). anyone else do better?

I'm only missing Marine Sharpshooter which is quite an achievement considering ITAD is reporting it to have been bundled 8 times.

Then again, it's KISS and I've pretty much skipped their bundles for some time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back