Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
4GB VRAM of GeForce GTX 650 required?

Are you freaking' kidding me?!?!?!
you know what's funny? you can't even get a 650 with 4gb. i mean you can but it's hard as hell to find, and it would cost more than a regular 650 (around $100) anyways hopefully they clarify and change it to a 2gb 750 or something like that.

And DSFix has already been updated to work with the Steamworks version.

DSFix 2.3

*Disclaimer - Haven't actually tested it myself.
AWESOME!

I got Dark Souls PC game updated to Steamworks-only; got my saves migrated over; and I'll be ready to go when I decide to get killed some more in Dark Souls PC.

#DarkSouls #PrepareToDie #PC #Steamworks #ScrewG4WL

So gem sax are approaching double their value since they were reinstated. I can only hope the Holiday cards perform as well with whatever pixel rewards the sale event brings, but I guess that depends on whether or not people blowing their loads on this auction have enough stamina for a second round.

I've asked 86 places and think I know the answer but if you opt into the Dark Souls 1 'beta' and install it will it install without crappy GFWL?  I'd like to avoid installing it altogether so wondering if that's possible.

So gem sax are approaching double their value since they were reinstated. I can only hope the Holiday cards perform as well with whatever pixel rewards the sale event brings, but I guess that depends on whether or not people blowing their loads on this auction have enough stamina for a second round.
I am interested to see what they do with the Winter Sale. They're spending a few days prior burning off excess community trash, and then it appears as though they're all set -- with the Sale Trading Cards -- to generate new piles of trash, with only Booster Packs in which to dump excess gems.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see them announce another (holiday) limited time use for gems once everyone has blown their stack of gems on this nutty auction.

Sometimes I have a hard time grasping the amount of money that people will spend on things like Steam trinkets. Seriously ... someone has bid the equivalent of $571 on a Holiday Profile Picture ?? ....

And $18 worth of gems on Space Engineers when you can buy it for $10. Why not sell the gems .. buy the game and have gems left over. 

Sometimes I have a hard time grasping the amount of money that people will spend on things like Steam trinkets. Seriously ... someone has bid the equivalent of $571 on a Holiday Profile Picture ?? ....

And $18 worth of gems on Space Engineers when you can buy it for $10. Why not sell the gems .. buy the game and have gems left over.
People probably want that Level 3 Auction badge (from winning an auction).

As for $571 on a holiday profile picture...I have a feeling money is a very, very small concern for some of the high bidders. It's really just gambling for them with little or nothing to lose.

Well, TF2 was just updated and this was in the release notes:

Updated Mann Co. Store prices for foreign currencies to current USD equivalents

This means that we're probably getting regional item prices in the store... which likely means regional TF2 key prices.

I've asked 86 places and think I know the answer but if you opt into the Dark Souls 1 'beta' and install it will it install without crappy GFWL? I'd like to avoid installing it altogether so wondering if that's possible.
No, you will avoid installing GFWL by opting for the beta. Those are separate downloads. That's the way to install DS1, if you don't want to get your save back from crappy GFWL version.

No, you will avoid installing GFWL by opting for the beta. Those are separate downloads. That's the way to install DS1, if you don't want to get your save back from crappy GFWL version.
Thanks. Yeah, my save is on an old computer and I never made an online GFWL profile so I'm fine with starting new.

Meh. I won the mess of Jagged Alliance Flashback auction for about $4 in card money. Not bad for a iffy looking game that is still intriguing me for some reason. I blame Flow for making this all seem so glamorous and exciting.

New Website for WGN: http://whosgamingnow.net
We have moved our site so update your bookmarks!

As requested, I added a page where you can view all your reserved keys:
http://whosgamingnow.net/redeem - should be useful for those who missed emails.

Unfortunately I have to move to .net instead of .com due to a dispute with a friend. Hope you guys like the new site and would really appreciate if you could help spread the word.

Note: Starting in the next few days, items purchased for Team Fortress 2/Dota 2/CS: GO either in-game or on the Steam Community Market will not be tradable or marketable for one week after purchase. We are making this change to combat fraud and scams, and to help maintain a safe and healthy item economy within Team Fortress 2/Dota 2/CS: GO.
I guess it's time to stock up with some keys/ToD tickets for the sale.

Unfortunately I have to move to .net instead of .com due to a dispute with a friend.
iIqYUCO.gif

in "i buy too many shitty bundles" news, i already have 10 of the 12 games in the weekly deals(missing Flashout 2 and Uprising 44). anyone else do better?
According to Enhanced Steam, because I cannot be bothered to check myself, I own none of them. Rather or not that's better than you... Highly debatable, I imagine, but I feel I'm doing better than you. :D/

Future Origin exclusive!
UPlay or bust...

I missed all of the fallout talk of the game when the demo released. not sure if it needs a rehash, but there sure seems to be allot of the same people/sites that wanted freedom of speech protection for video games getting bent out of shape over this game... Honestly, you cannot have the good without the bad.

Anyhow, I'm back off to Marvel Heroes... See ya in a month or so. :lol:

Note: Starting in the next few days, items purchased for Team Fortress 2 either in-game or on the Steam Community Market will not be tradable or marketable for one week after purchase. We are making this change to combat fraud and scams, and to help maintain a safe and healthy item economy within Team Fortress 2.

Will gems be future trading currency?

Note: Starting in the next few days, items purchased for Team Fortress 2 either in-game or on the Steam Community Market will not be tradable or marketable for one week after purchase. We are making this change to combat fraud and scams, and to help maintain a safe and healthy item economy within Team Fortress 2.

Will gems be future trading currency?
This, along with the local price adjustment for keys, is making me think it's likely.

But how would they price gems? 1000 for a dollar, like Blue Coins?

This, along with the local price adjustment for keys, is making me think it's likely.

But how would they price gems? 1000 for a dollar, like Blue Coins?
Probably low value, like 0.4$-ish. Likely only way to gain is craft badges and scrap backgrounds/emoticons, which limits amount in circulation and thus makes it possible to have a value.

As for $571 on a holiday profile picture...I have a feeling money is a very, very small concern for some of the high bidders. It's really just gambling for them with little or nothing to lose.
Maybe ... Only took me $1 to get it and got a game that was normally $20. Crappy game yes but at least I wasn't paying twice the price for it.

New Website for WGN: http://whosgamingnow.net
We have moved our site so update your bookmarks!

As requested, I added a page where you can view all your reserved keys:
http://whosgamingnow.net/redeem - should be useful for those who missed emails.

Unfortunately I have to move to .net instead of .com due to a dispute with a friend. Hope you guys like the new site and would really appreciate if you could help spread the word.
Great site Coral! There's a key page and everything ... great stuff :applause:

Just to break the gem/auction/badge continuity...

Is there some sort of invisible ceiling on Bing reward searches? I got an email earlier today telling me I had completed 1 credit x 3 searches for a total 60 credits on Saturday and Sunday, with today, Monday still left. Now, when I sign in to inanely search poop and all it's synonyms, they trimmed me down to 1 credit x 2 searches for 15 credits. 15 fucking credits. So... what happened? Why are are they cutting off my Bing balls? I had plans, big plans, for these credits. Goddamnit, whatever, fist fuck, donkey bang. Ok, I'm over it.

It's usually only 15 per day plus 10 mobile (if you want).  Sometimes they have 'special' days where you can get 30 credits.  Every once in a while it's 30 per day for a week, or a month.  But normally.. just 15.

Edit: Oh, and if it really was just before you typed this, the clock resets at 12am EST for me, so it's technically Tuesday.

Technically, accounts start with 15 credits a day but are supposed to eventually get upgraded to 30 at some point after reaching gold status. I started in September with 3 accounts, two of them get 30 a day and one has been stuck on 15 the whole time.

Actually I'm down to just two accounts since they banned one of the 30-a-day ones this weekend for no apparent reason.

It's usually only 15 per day plus 10 mobile (if you want). Sometimes they have 'special' days where you can get 30 credits. Every once in a while it's 30 per day for a week, or a month. But normally.. just 15.

Edit: Oh, and if it really was just before you typed this, the clock resets at 12am EST for me, so it's technically Tuesday.
fuck...

The 10 per mobile has always been there, as well as the occasional 60 per of PC, usually over a weekend, but it's constantly been 30 per on PC for my last 3 months.

Technically, accounts start with 15 credits a day but are supposed to eventually get upgraded to 30 at some point after reaching gold status. I started in September with 3 accounts, two of them get 30 a day and one has been stuck on 15 the whole time.

Actually I'm down to just two accounts since they banned one of the 30-a-day ones this weekend for no apparent reason.
See, that's what I thought, but the random banning scares me.

Just to break the gem/auction/badge continuity...

Is there some sort of invisible ceiling on Bing reward searches? I got an email earlier today telling me I had completed 1 credit x 3 searches for a total 60 credits on Saturday and Sunday, with today, Monday still left. Now, when I sign in to inanely search poop and all it's synonyms, they trimmed me down to 1 credit x 2 searches for 15 credits. 15 fucking credits. So... what happened? Why are are they cutting off my Bing balls? I had plans, big plans, for these credits. Goddamnit, whatever, fist fuck, donkey bang. Ok, I'm over it.
I've always been at 15 credits per day. Honestly I'm okay with it because when they occasionally throw in a "special" for double credit Tuesday or whatever I get sick of doing searches just to reach the ceiling.

I honestly believe it's Valve taking advantage of people with a certain level of OCD for collecting. I know I have it to an extent. Not here (thanks God) but in certain places I'll have the feeling if I miss it I'll never have the chance again.

I've just had a thought.

What are the odds that we'll get sacks of gems as a reward for crafting the Christmas badge? Think about it. There has to be some kind of incentive to craft the badge, and gem-sacks appear to be Valve's "new thing". It's not beyond the realms of possibility for a badge to be rewarded with 1 gem sack.

Now, can somebody who's more awake* than me tell me what that means for card/sack prices? I'm still waking up.

* - I realise this probably restricts matters to our friends in the Southern Hemisphere. Chop chop, Detruire.

I've just had a thought.

What are the odds that we'll get sacks of gems as a reward for crafting the Christmas badge? Think about it. There has to be some kind of incentive to craft the badge, and gem-sacks appear to be Valve's "new thing". It's not beyond the realms of possibility for a badge to be rewarded with 1 gem sack.

Now, can somebody who's more awake* than me tell me what that means for card/sack prices? I'm still waking up.

* - I realise this probably restricts matters to our friends in the Southern Hemisphere. Chop chop, Detruire.
I can see your logic, but this would seem more like a Valve to the past. Recent history of events and policy changes show Valve and Steam as being far less generous, to be just giving away sacks. I think they will stick to their formula of the reward being a time window limited badge, background, and emote.

They didn't come up with this clever idea for getting rid of market items, just to undermine themselves.

I honestly believe it's Valve taking advantage of people with a certain level of OCD for collecting. I know I have it to an extent. Not here (thanks God) but in certain places I'll have the feeling if I miss it I'll never have the chance again.
Yeah, they got me!

However, all I did was burn some backgrounds I'll never use. Or can rebuy for relatively cheap.

I've just had a thought.

That would be hilarious and sad for everyone who bought into these gems to resell at a later time.

I am so glad I cashed out early. I don't have to deal with this stuff anymore.

Progress so far:
Unclaimed World - 5750 gems, 74% discount based on net gem price (value less sale costs) at time of bidding
Fabula Mortis - 1650 gems, 90% discount
Tango Fiesta - 3300 gems, 82% discount
Kinetic Void - 4400 gems, 87% discount
TinyKeep - 2400 gems, 84% discount
Aarklash Legacy - 2900 gems, 86% discount
Wings HD - 2800 gems, 85% discount

The way I see it, yes I could've sold gems and made some cash but all that would've accomplished would be me sitting here, buying the exact same games at 75% (at best) in the proper sale. This way I've been able to get a deal that could only surpassed if the game was bundled - which it will be, you can thank me for my sacrifices now.

My only regret is that I started buying last night. If I held off until this morning, I would've been able to get the same wins but with less gems. Although I would've felt pretty foolish if the gem price collapsed overnight and I hadn't bought anything so I guess I'm happy.

Got 9k gems left, going to see how far I can stretch it. In some cases, it'll be cheaper to buy gems on the market and bid for auctions than it will be to buy a title at 75% off in the sale.

Pro tip: avoid AAA titles. Indies and bundle trash are where the bargains are to be had.

:whee:

Pro tip: avoid AAA titles. Indies and bundle trash are where the bargains are to be had.
And software. (Assuming you need one of those, these rarely get deep discounts like games).

My shame of winnings list:

Defense Techinca 1 101 gems

Proxy Blade Zero 1 200 gems

Total ~2€ worth of gems sold in market at current price. Scrapped from background & emoticons, so effectively these were free.

Fun fact: There are at least 1035 auctions, that has 75%+ discount assuming gems bought at $1.25

..but it's constantly been 30 per on PC for my last 3 months.

See, that's what I thought, but the random banning scares me.
Regarding Bing - that's odd. I am usually 15 per day with the occasional double weekend, week or month. I have been a member since the reward preview in 2010 and never let myself go below gold. My gf also does (she started in 2011) and she always has the same credit chances as I do... maybe they do it by IP address or something.

The bannings may have occurred as they have a limit of 5 (last I checked) per household. I rarely let my credits linger & grab an amazon card every chance I get, I did have an account closed once that had 500+ credits on it and that lost $5 still annoys me.

Entered the market from my phone browser... And it locked me out until December 23.

Edit: seems to be a device lock only. Nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back