Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
Plus it's been in promotions like the "free game with Bioshock Infinite" thing so it's not like they're jealously guarding the IP's "value".

I liked Mafia II quite a bit -- probably more than most people. It's definitely past due for an MSRP drop and some $5 sale pricing though.
<cough> GMG giveaway <cough>

2014 is better than 2015 just because it's an all around better game. The interface and UI is better, the AI is better, etc. 2015 got bogged down in trying to make it flashy at the expense of being playable and enjoyable.

You want 2014 Gold and not 2014 Gold Complete because the "basic" Gold edition gives you all the expansion decks to play with but you still have to unlock the extra cards through playing the campaign. Gold Complete gives you all the cards unlocked from the start, removing any reward for playing the campaign. Granted, it's a personal choice but I think most people would rather have the game's rewards unfold more organically versus being given everything upfront.

I don't think 2013 goes on sale any more (it's not on sale now) so it's possible that 2014 might be taken off the sale rotation in the future. It's 66% off now for Gold so if you're interested that's not a bad price even if it's not "75% or bust" pricing.
Thanks for the explanation, I'll definitely add 2014 Gold to my wishlist. Not sure if I can violate my 75% off or GTFO rule though.

Mafia II is one of the worst GTA clones I've ever played.
photo-thumb-288229.png

Mafia II is extremely linear, has virtually no side-missions, and it's not a sandbox. The similarities to GTA are that it's third person and it has cars you can boost. It is also extremely cinematic, profane, and sociopathic, and has one of the best mafioso storylines in video games—way better than the extremely cliched Mafia 1. In fact, I was surprised to learn that they were written by the same dude.

Somebody needs to get a clue and lower the MSRP on Mafia II. There's no way a game that's over four years old should still be 30 bucks.

Also, Steam needs to have a complete edition instead of that piece of junk "Deluxe" (yeah, right) edition.

Gamestop has the base game for 5.99 online right now. Looks like 1.97 if somebody could find it at a store.
There will never be a "complete" edition in the true sense of the word, anyway. Betrayal of Jimmy has always been exclusive to russia.

There will never be a "complete" edition in the true sense of the word, anyway. Betrayal of Jimmy has always been exclusive to russia.
Well there is one way to get a complete edition of Mafia 2.

Buy the Greatest Hits or Platinum Hits version for Xbox 360 or PS3.

They both contain all the dlc.

There was supposed to be a PC version called Directors Cut but that only seems to be available in U.S. on Mac or Europe for PC. It appears however that both Mac and PC versions regadless of region were printed in very minimal quantities.

Last edited:
I love Mafia 2, wish I had bought the deluxe edition back then, there's no way to upgrade, I want that soundtrack

Mafia II is extremely linear, has virtually no side-missions, and it's not a sandbox.
That's the "problem". People see that you can drive around and assume it's an open-world sandbox style environment. But it's not, really, and there's little to do outside the story missions except drive around and cause mayhem (and buy new suits, I guess) and the save point system actually discourages even doing that since dying in a police chase for laughs might mean redoing a mission.

The game does have other flaws such as virtually no melee combat, the amount of driving you have to do and the mentioned checkpoint saves. And it does the player no good by combining the somewhat wonky vehicle controls with icy streets and 1940s era cars right from the start. Once you hit the 50s and get sunny streets and better handling cars it gets much better.

But I liked the story and how it wasn't a typical "Become Crime God!" setup, I thought the shooting was fun and the guns felt different enough even within classes (grease gun vs Tommy gun vs army SMG) and the setting was well executed. It seems to be a love it or hate it sort of game though depending on what you're looking for in a game. But tempering your expectations that this will be 1940s GTA is a good place to start.

I never played the Joe DLC but the "import only" Jimmy DLC isn't really worth it in my opinion. Just a bunch of loosely connected timed missions like "Steal a red Smith Thunderbolt and drive it to the garage. No, not the red Smith Thunderbolt in the parking lot two feet from you, the identical-yet-special one across town and as far as possible from the one garage you can return it to. You have two minutes..." The one upside is that you can "free play" (although again there isn't a ton to do) since the game saves your progress every time you hit your apartment.

Mafia II is one of the worst GTA clones I've ever played.
I played this one game I thought was a horrible GTA clone one time. It had horrible driving, boring story, and whiny NPCs. I never cared enough to finish it. Oh wait, that was GTA IV. :)

Thanks to the groupees holiday sale, I now have another 10 games to idle for cards. Which will get added to the 350 cards that I already have sitting in my inventory. Is there a firefox extension that will let me just list all of these frickin' cards on the market without having to list them all one by one? I don't even care if it lets me select the asking price. Listing them for current market value is good enough.
This plus Greasemonkey: https://github.com/tboothman/steam-market-seller

I never played the Joe DLC but the "import only" Jimmy DLC isn't really worth it in my opinion. Just a bunch of loosely connected timed missions like "Steal a red Smith Thunderbolt and drive it to the garage. No, not the red Smith Thunderbolt in the parking lot two feet from you, the identical-yet-special one across town and as far as possible from the one garage you can return it to. You have two minutes..." The one upside is that you can "free play" (although again there isn't a ton to do) since the game saves your progress every time you hit your apartment.
Great points.

The Jimmy DLC is basically a score attack mode, but the Joe one fits much better into the main game's story. It takes place during the time the protagonist is locked up and
bb9c5ba488.jpg

Mafia II is extremely linear ... extremely cinematic...
It's no Telltale YouTubeable, but what I mostly meant was that it had really spiffy presentation (music, voice-acting, shiny graphics, cutscenes, writing). It was also late and my brain was fading; shoulda gone with more
1269537fe8.jpg

Is this the new Bad Rats? It's all in Russian, only costs a dollar, and promises

- hundreds of quests;
- free exploration of open world, divided into seven large locations with many PvP and PvP-free zones;
- flexible leveling system with dozens of abilities and skills;
- ten professions and thirteen specializations (from sniper and assaulter, to scientist and engineer), depending on the preselected character's origin;
- thousands of items of equipment, dozens of artifacts and anomalies

It sounds great, and only for 100 Metros!

Oh geeze, someone reported my post because I said the word that rhymes with hop that refers to Italians that no one really gives a shit about anymore. Are white people slurs still even still a thing?

Also, FWIW 1st generation Italian-American here so I was using it in jest obviously.

Oh geeze, someone reported my post because I said the word that rhymes with hop that refers to Italians that no one really gives a shit about anymore. Are white people slurs still even still a thing?

Also, FWIW 1st generation Italian-American here so I was using it in jest obviously.
I used the word caucasian in the groupees thread and it got deleted. Figure that one out.

"But I have Italian friends!!"

:D/

I googled the word, which reminded me of South Park, which led me to Urban Dictionary:

Stupid Wop Dago

A person of mediterranean heritage usually seen sporting tracksuit pants and a greasy mullet. Also enjoys working on a variety of highly inefficient vehicles not limited to muscle cars but also japanese brands commonly associated with ricers, although these will have that unique stupid wop dago touch added to them.

Oh, UD, you never cease to amuse.

Is being linear really such a bad though? I've played and enjoyed linear games as they tend to be shorter and more focused, which is good for someone like me with a large backlog and short attention span. Granted, I don't want all my games to be like that but they can still be enjoyed as long as you play it for what it is rather than wishing it was something it isn't.

edit: sorry for breaking the flow of the important discussion guys. I r slo at typing

Is this the new Bad Rats? It's all in Russian, only costs a dollar, and promises

- hundreds of quests;
- free exploration of open world, divided into seven large locations with many PvP and PvP-free zones;
- flexible leveling system with dozens of abilities and skills;
- ten professions and thirteen specializations (from sniper and assaulter, to scientist and engineer), depending on the preselected character's origin;
- thousands of items of equipment, dozens of artifacts and anomalies

It sounds great, and only for 100 Metros!
FSL.gif

If a game is linear, then people bitch. But if a game is open then people bitch about that too.

I can't tell you how many posts I've seen about Dragon Age Inquisition that are all 'therz 2 much 2 do. h@!!pppp1111111'

It's not rocket science. Pick something and do it. If you don't like it pick something else.

OTOH, some story based games are going to tell a story without the side stuff and it doesn't mean they suck just because you can't run off the path and pick flowers or go see hookers.

If a game is linear, then people bitch. But if a game is open then people bitch about that too.

I can't tell you how many posts I've seen about Dragon Age Inquisition that are all 'therz 2 much 2 do. h@!!pppp1111111'

It's not rocket science. Pick something and do it. If you don't like it pick something else.

OTOH, some story based games are going to tell a story without the side stuff and it doesn't mean they suck just because you can't run off the path and pick flowers or go see hookers.
If I can't pick flowers in a game, why am I even playing that game??

Obviously, everybody should vote for Hatoful Boyfriend.  Look at all those bright colors!  No, no, I didn't just say that because it's on my wishlist. (the bottom of it)  :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back