Steam: UT3 Free Weekend, Other Unreal Deals

hal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
I haven't seen it advertised at Steam yet, but this weekend will be a free Unreal Tournament 3 weekend (play free all weekend) with accompanying deals on Unreal Tournament ($1.99) and the Unreal Deal Pack (60% off).

To download Unreal Tournament 3 Black, visit store.steampowered.com/app/13210.

Here's the press release:

Unreal Tournament 3 Black Gets Free Steam Weekend, New Mods

Tomorrow Marks 10-Year Anniversary of Unreal Tournament Demo

CARY, N.C. – September 16, 2009 – Epic Games, Inc. invites everyone to check out Unreal Tournament 3 Black, the premier first-person shooter with more official content and community mods than ever before, completely free of charge starting tomorrow.

Thursday, September 17, marks the 10-year anniversary of the original Unreal Tournament demo release, and to celebrate Epic will kick off a long weekend in which anyone can log onto Valve’s Steam digital distribution service (www.steamgames.com), download Unreal Tournament 3 Black and play the game through the weekend free of charge. Preload for the Free Weekend begins today.

In addition, the original Unreal Tournament will be on sale for $1.99, and both Unreal Tournament 3 Black and the Unreal Deal Pack will be available for 60% off through September 27.

Unreal Tournament 3 Black comprises Unreal Tournament 3 together with the free Titan Pack, a massive bonus pack with countless enhancements and new environments, the Titan mutator, the Greed and Betrayal gametypes, the Stealthbender vehicle, weapons, deployables, characters and more. Unreal Tournament 3 Black also includes over 50 Steamworks Achievements.

Players who purchased Unreal Tournament 3 at retail can enter their retail key by using the "Activate a product on Steam" feature in the Steam client, and Steam will automatically update them to Unreal Tournament 3 Black for free.

In addition to Epic’s internal efforts to support Unreal Tournament 3, hundreds of mod authors have created new levels, characters, weapons, vehicles and total conversions for the game as part of the $1 Million Intel Make Something Unreal Contest (www.makesomethingunreal.com).

Phase 4 submissions are being judged now, and notable entries include:
∙ The Haunted (www.moddb.com/mods/the-haunted)
∙ Prometheus (www.moddb.com/mods/prometheus)
∙ The Ball (http://theball.toltecstudios.com/)
∙ Angels Fall First: Planetstorm (www.affuniverse.com/)
∙ Sanctum (blog.sanctum-game.com/)
∙ UT2D Killing Time (www.game-wizards.com/about_game.php?gameid=11)
∙ Steam Racers (www.steamracers.net/)

Much more is available at www.makesomethingunreal.com and www.fileplanet.com/unreal.

[quote name='acdcrocks1980']Sweet, I have had UT3 preloaded from the last Free Weekend, but still haven't had a chance to try it. Is it alot like Gears of War?[/QUOTE]

Sorry to sound like a gaming snob but how do you go this long without playing the Unreal series?

Anyhow, I hope this isn't the weekend deal. This'll of been the third Unreal weekend deal this year IIRC.

Yeah I have to agree actually this isn't much of a deal. You can get UT III for really cheap (I think it was around $4.90 on GoGamer Labor Day sale) and I got the Unreal Anthology for $4.90 via the same GoGamer sale.

[quote name='acdcrocks1980']Sweet, I have had UT3 preloaded from the last Free Weekend, but still haven't had a chance to try it. Is it alot like Gears of War?[/QUOTE]

No, Unreal Tournament 3 is good. If you've ever played an Unreal Tournament game it's like that. In fact it feels almost identical to UT2004, in a good way.

If you can't run UT3 on your PC I would recommend saving your money, there isn't much point to these games outside of the multiplayer and Unreal 1 and 2 are probably not worth the time to play just because there are so many more recent shooters to play and only so much time in a day.

As far as this deal, if I'm not reading it incorrectly this gets you the Unreal Deal Pack for $16. If you missed out on the GoGamer.com sale it's not a bad deal for all of those games, though only one is really worth your time. I'd rather have seen them bring back the $12.99 deal on UT3 that they had back in the spring but I'll probably bite anyway since I've been looking to pick up a copy and hate using my disc drive.

Sweet. I already own UT99 six ways to Sunday (original retail, GOTY retail, Unreal Anthology, GOG.com, et cetera), but for two bucks, I'd love to have it on my Steam games list. One of my all-time favorites. Many, many great memories.

[quote name='Doomed']How is UT1 today? Worth $2? Multiplayer? Better/worse than Half-Life?[/QUOTE]
UT99 is the greatest multiplayer FPS of all time. Period.

[quote name='hpv'] I'd rather have seen them bring back the $12.99 deal on UT3 that they had back in the spring but I'll probably bite anyway since I've been looking to pick up a copy and hate using my disc drive.[/QUOTE]

60% off UT3 would be like 8 dollars. Much better than 13.

[quote name='lhfan04']Yeah I have to agree actually this isn't much of a deal.[/QUOTE]

The Unreal Deal pack is currently $40. 60% off would bring it down to $16, for...

Unreal 2: The Awakening, Unreal Tournament 3 Black, Unreal Tournament 2004: Editor's Choice Edition, Unreal Tournament: Game of the Year Edition, Unreal Gold

Seems like a decent deal to me. :whistle2:s

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']60% off UT3 would be like 8 dollars. Much better than 13.[/QUOTE]

It's 60% off of the Unreal Deal Pack, not UT3. The Deal Pack has UT3 in it but is regularly priced at $39.99. Since I'm only interested in UT3 I'd rather save the 3 bucks as I'm going to get hit with 9.5% sales tax.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']The Unreal Deal pack is currently $40. 60% off would bring it down to $16, for...

Seems like a decent deal to me. :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

It's definitely a decent deal, but how much are you going to play any of the older content? I don't see any point in playing UT or UT2k4 (I'm assuming 2003 isn't in there because 2004 is basically like a re-issue bundled with an expansion pack) in 2009, nor do I see much value in playing Unreal or Unreal 2 when there are so many other games to play.

But don't get me wrong, I'm buying this as soon as the sale goes into effect. I'm mostly complaining about essentially free games because I probably won't get around to playing them and that feels like I'm getting cheated even though I'd pay the $16 just for a disc-free copy of UT3. Obviously that's an absurd way to be and anyone who wants these games and hates discs should jump on this sale.

[quote name='hpv']It's definitely a decent deal, but how much are you going to play any of the older content? I don't see any point in playing UT or UT2k4 (I'm assuming 2003 isn't in there because 2004 is basically like a re-issue bundled with an expansion pack) in 2009, nor do I see much value in playing Unreal or Unreal 2 when there are so many other games to play.[/QUOTE]

I still play UT2K4 occasionally, mainly on my craptop that can't handle most recent games.

Are they really so desperate in trying to sell this game? This is like the 3rd time Steam offer free UT3 weekend play.

[quote name='Raymond']Are they really so desperate in trying to sell this game? This is like the 3rd time Steam offer free UT3 weekend play.[/QUOTE]

Probably. It didn't seem to be a very big hit when it was released. It's a really good game that suffers for being a whole lot like the really good games that came before it.

Just so you guys know (the ones that are buying UT3 just so they don't have to use the disc), you can redeem your CD key on Steam to get a copy of UT3 for your Steam account. Just throwing this out there to save you some money (and time, really).

EDIT: And the anthology doesn't require a disc, so there's that, too.

[quote name='Katslover']Just so you guys know (the ones that are buying UT3 just so they don't have to use the disc), you can redeem your CD key on Steam to get a copy of UT3 for your Steam account. Just throwing this out there to save you some money (and time, really).

EDIT: And the anthology doesn't require a disc, so there's that, too.[/QUOTE]

Well , yep.The UT3 , I already have on steam registered...the others, since I bought them individually cant be registered , though...sad, eh...

I've played UT3 on the last 3 free weekends, it was never that great, I don't see why they keep trying to bring it back, I think they should just bring on a UT 2k10.

[quote name='hpv']It's 60% off of the Unreal Deal Pack, not UT3.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='hal']...both Unreal Tournament 3 Black and the Unreal Deal Pack will be available for 60% off through September 27.[/QUOTE]

I wish that UT2K4 was also individually discounted. I already have UT3 on Steam, am gonna buy UT99 for $2, and would gladly pay $5 for UT2K4 (which again, I already own several times, but would like to have on Steam, for convenienve). I could care less about Unreal and Unreal II, really. Great games, but no need to play them again.

[quote name='hpv']It's definitely a decent deal, but how much are you going to play any of the older content? I don't see any point in playing UT or UT2k4 (...) in 2009,[/quote]

Uh, you are aware that there is still a large community of people playing Doom multiplayer, right? Or that Counter-Strike, still one of the most played MP FPSes, is nearly as old at UT99?

Truly great multiplayer games can stick around forever. The point, is that they're still great, unique games.

[quote name='lhfan04']Yeah I have to agree actually this isn't much of a deal. You can get UT III for really cheap (I think it was around $4.90 on GoGamer Labor Day sale) and I got the Unreal Anthology for $4.90 via the same GoGamer sale.[/QUOTE]

Me too! I just wanted Unreal 2, don't care about the "Tournament" games.

This thread made me remember i got the unreal anthology from GS for 4.99...

Gamestop has the Anthology for 1.99 New if you can find one... Unreal 3 for 12.99, which can be loaded into steam...

so what is the price of this game on steam? it says $19.99 for the black edition, but the op mentions a 60% discount. is this not reflected in the $20 price? how do we get the discount?

[quote name='indianajonz']so what is the price of this game on steam? it says $19.99 for the black edition, but the op mentions a 60% discount. is this not reflected in the $20 price? how do we get the discount?[/QUOTE]

You wait until the sale goes live, for starters.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']

UT99 is the greatest multiplayer FPS of all time. Period.[/QUOTE]

SO VERY TRUE. Only thing it needs now is ported to Live Arcade or PSN.

[quote name='docvinh']So it is it worth it to get the unreal deal pack or should I just stick to unreal 3?[/QUOTE]
If you don't have any of them then buy the Unreal Deal. There are enough mods, maps, and other custom content to last you for years.

[quote name='docvinh']So it is it worth it to get the unreal deal pack or should I just stick to unreal 3?[/QUOTE]

Are you going to play the other games? If you think you might it's only $8, but if you're pretty sure you won't you might as well save your cash.

If you're only gonna get one, then get the original UT. But really, even if you totally disregard Unreal and Unreal II, the three UT games are totally worth $5.33 each. These are truly legendary games, especially UT99 and 2K4.

i wouldnt jump on it yet. chances are ut3 will get an additional discount in the future. dont forget, this is like the 4th free weekend/deal thats been up thhis year for this game

Went out and picked up the Unreal Anthology at Gamestop for 2 bucks, so I'm just going to pick up unreal 3. We should figure out a night for everyone who's getting in on this deal to play.

bread's done
Back