Steam Weekend Deal: $5 Universe at War

Actually this price is reeeeeaaaaaly good considering the reviews you are reading are from launch. The game had a shaky start but updates have fixed this on both the pc and 360 versions. I really love the diversity of each faction and I'm more of a single player kind of guy as this game has a good campaign.

[quote name='guyver2077']it was such a pain to run through steam.. just ended up dl'ing the game and putting in my key which is displayed through steam[/quote]

What do you mean dl'ing? You mean a torrent and then you used your key?
What was the problem with the steam version?

[quote name='eastx']Is something wrong with the multiplayer?[/quote]

Not so wrong, just unbalanced like many online RTS games and more so the single player is a better experience.

Eh, I've been playing the game for about an hour now and I have to say I'm not impressed. The graphics are pretty bad, the voice overs are pretty corny, it feels like there's no strategy, only point and right click. I'm glad I only payed 5$, maybe the game gets better though.

I've liked it so far. I only played as the Hierarchy though but what I experienced was epic. You have these three huge moving bases (like mechs) and since I was playing on easy mode (I wanted to get use to the game) I just stormed the enemy base. It was pretty awesome for $5 :D

I picked up the game over the weekend. I went thru all the problems and hassles last night trying to play it. Had to install GFWL to get into the game. I then had to use regedit to turn DX10 off. After that, I had to sit thru the updates for GFWL and the game itself. Then I had to wait for my gamertag to get downloaded.

Once I got in, I thought the game was decent. I will say I didn't play the game too long last night though.

Easily worth $5 IMHO.

[quote name='Hoffer']I picked up the game over the weekend. I went thru all the problems and hassles last night trying to play it. Had to install GFWL to get into the game. I then had to use regedit to turn DX10 off. After that, I had to sit thru the updates for GFWL and the game itself. Then I had to wait for my gamertag to get downloaded.

Once I got in, I thought the game was decent. I will say I didn't play the game too long last night though.

Easily worth $5 IMHO.[/QUOTE]

same here. had to go through those hassles. only, the key i was given would not work. so i'll have to try again when i am done work.

Put me down as thinking its easily worht $5 if you like RTS games. Maybe i got a little to much love for the EX Westwood guys, they made the RTS standard that "EVERYBODY" copied. But I will admit i would not put this game in the "good" or "great" area, its just OK, worth a play. If i didnt have it I would buy it in a second.

[quote name='turls']What do you mean dl'ing? You mean a torrent and then you used your key?
What was the problem with the steam version?[/quote]

yea i didnt have the patience at the time to get it working.. im sure its not worth the hassle...

just dl'ed the torrent for the game and used my legit key.. worked like a charm and dont need to go through steam

I got an email saying I need to run an integrity check or something like that on the files. I've downloaded around 11%...do I want to delete that and start over or something?

EDIT: It was just at 9%, so I just deleted it (causing it to crash Steam actually, but it worked the second time). Started downloading it again. If they did fix it, I'm really happy to see they emailed me about it proactively versus me having to contact them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished downloading it, and tried to launch it...and it crashes before launching. Do I need to hunt for GFWL as per below and install that FIRST to launch it? And if so, why on Earth doesn't the game install it if you need it? It's been years since I've had a game not even launch.

(This is on 64-bit Vista, if that matters.)

If I do need to install live first, separately, do I find that on Microsoft's site? Do I even need steam at that point? This is weird...

[quote name='Hoffer']I picked up the game over the weekend. I went thru all the problems and hassles last night trying to play it. Had to install GFWL to get into the game. I then had to use regedit to turn DX10 off. After that, I had to sit thru the updates for GFWL and the game itself. Then I had to wait for my gamertag to get downloaded.

Easily worth $5 IMHO.[/QUOTE]

It was crashing on startup for me and I had to install the GFWL client. And I found it on Microsoft's site somewhere I think.

Thanks! I'll give that a try. That is NUTS though. I'm sure the retail game triggers an install, but this one doesn't check?

bread's done
Back