Steam Weekend Deal - Crysis games 50% off (Crysis Maximum Edition for $30)

buckythekat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/987/

ignore the original package price, it's been $60 (lacking the $20 retail discount) since it went up

both games for $30 is a damn good deal :D

edit: just a warning both games are some of the few on Steam that have third-party DRM, SecuROM in this case

but the retail versions have the same

spotlight_crysis.jpg

crysis_spotlight.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Err, hasn't this always been $30 everywhere else?

Guess Amazon has it for $37, but this really isn't that great of a deal for no physical copy.

according to CamelCamelCamel the Maximum edition's lowest price on Amazon was $33.99

edit: and can we please not have a physical vs. digital debate?

Hmm, if this is all they'll offer this weekend, then I guess my money is safe! Can't wait to see what they have for the holiday sales.

I only buy on Steam if the deal is outrageously good, and this isn't that great. My Target has about 10 copies of the Maximum edition for $30.

[quote name='shingletingle']A 5-machine activation limit? No thanks. Otherwise, they would have had a sale.[/QUOTE]

Oh please. You wont install it on more than one MAYBE two hard drives anyway....dont give us that excuse.

Ya know what, I already downloaded the trial version and played though the entire thing just a month ago. They deserve my money. Actually I've installed this in over 5 machines already to just benchmark. FYI a Geforce 6800 isn't fast enough. :)

[quote name='Cragvis']Oh please. You wont install it on more than one MAYBE two hard drives anyway....dont give us that excuse.[/QUOTE]

What happens when I upgrade my machine, which is guaranteed to happen multiple times over the course of a couple years?

Hopefully it is like Spore and you can "deauthorize" an install or whatever.

Wow, I was about to jump in until I saw the SecuROM. I didn't realize they would use additional DRM on a steam title.

[quote name='Cragvis']Oh please. You wont install it on more than one MAYBE two hard drives anyway....dont give us that excuse.[/QUOTE]

A comment from a naive person unaware of the PC hardware enthusiast community. Nice. I upgrade my hardware somewhat often including the motherboard. That means re-installing the OS and essentially creating a new machine, therefore a new activation. You may want to be more aware of the subject matter before making ignorant comments.

[quote name='NutManIV']What happens when I upgrade my machine, which is guaranteed to happen multiple times over the course of a couple years?

Hopefully it is like Spore and you can "deauthorize" an install or whatever.[/QUOTE]

If youre swapping out new hard drives more than 5 times in 2 years, you have bigger issues than securerom...

It's a reason, not an excuse as far as I'm concerned. I love Steam deals, but it's tough to bite on a game that has activation limits on top of Steam's DRM.

[quote name='Cragvis']If youre swapping out new hard drives more than 5 times in 2 years, you have bigger issues than securerom...[/QUOTE]

Errr...what part said he was just swapping out hard drives? You do realize that a computer is composed of more parts than just hard drives, right? You should just stop now because you keep making comments that show you have no knowledge on the subject of PC hardware and DRM.

[quote name='Cragvis']Oh please. You wont install it on more than one MAYBE two hard drives anyway....dont give us that excuse.[/QUOTE]Just because you're willing to bend over doesn't mean everyone should.

[quote name='Cragvis']If youre swapping out new hard drives more than 5 times in 2 years, you have bigger issues than securerom...[/QUOTE]

Securom detects ANY new hardware change as a new machine. If I upgrade my RAM, CPU or Graphics card or anything else, it needs a new install.

Of course, if Crysis allows you to de-authorize installs it wont be a huge deal, but still a bit annoying.

I would've bought it, but I really don't like the five machine limit either. On top of that, I don't like that I'm forced to install securerom onto my pc.

I hear the steam version only comes with the 32bit executables, and the retail version contains both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions and the 64 bit versions have been reported to be a lot faster on some 64 bit systems. Is this true?

[quote name='buckythekat']http://store.steampowered.com/sub/987/

ignore the original package price, it's been $60 (lacking the $20 retail discount) since it went up

both games for $30 is a damn good deal :D

edit: just a warning both games are some of the few on Steam that have third-party DRM, SecuROM in this case

but the retail versions have the same

spotlight_crysis.jpg

crysis_spotlight.jpg
[/QUOTE]

So it's still got activation on TOP of Steam activation? :hot: Thanks, that's what I came to the thread for :whistle2:/

I bought the (activation-less) original Crysis years ago, but wouldn't mind having Warheard. Oh well.

Really enjoyed Crysis and have been meaning to pick up Crysis Warhead. But with all the games that just came out, I think I'll pass at this time. I think I'll wait for a $10 price as well.

Awful game, the graphics aren't even that great considering the type of specs it requires
Not a deal for $30, might be worth it for $10 or so...

[quote name='xGunCrazyx']Awful game, the graphics aren't even that great considering the type of specs it requires
Not a deal for $30, might be worth it for $10 or so...[/QUOTE]

Who cares what kind of specs are required. It's an incredible looking game that spanks anything out on consoles or PCs. And the single player is really fun on Delta mode.

[quote name='xGunCrazyx']Awful game, the graphics aren't even that great considering the type of specs it requires
Not a deal for $30, might be worth it for $10 or so...[/QUOTE]
Cool review of Halo, bro.

Seriously stop. You can't possibly make yourself look any dumber at this point.

Funny, the bundle is up there in the top sellers list, much higher than the individual games even though it's more expensive. Seems people just buy without even bothering to check the price it seems.

Not getting this myself. Price isn't low enough, I can't run it on high settings so it defeats the purpose, and above all; activation drm = no buy.

I know this isn't exactly relevant but I thought I'd ask, does Steam do a Black Friday deal or do they get all of that done with the winter holiday sale that happens in December? I can't quite remember...

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I know this isn't exactly relevant but I thought I'd ask, does Steam do a Black Friday deal or do they get all of that done with the winter holiday sale that happens in December? I can't quite remember...[/QUOTE]

I hope they don't do a black friday sale honestly, but I can't remember them having done one before anyways

the after Christmas one is more than enough of a wallet rape (plus they really just want all your Christmas money :p)

[quote name='TestType']Funny, the bundle is up there in the top sellers list, much higher than the individual games even though it's more expensive. Seems people just buy without even bothering to check the price it seems.

Not getting this myself. Price isn't low enough, I can't run it on high settings so it defeats the purpose, and above all; activation drm = no buy.[/QUOTE]

The bundle is the same price as both games added together. Unless I am misunderstanding your statement.

[quote name='buckythekat']I hope they don't do a black friday sale honestly, but I can't remember them having done one before anyways

the after Christmas one is more than enough of a wallet rape (plus they really just want all your Christmas money :p)[/QUOTE]

Yes the holiday sale last year was awesome. Can't wait for this one!

I'm thinking about getting Crysis Warhead and skipping Crysis, don't care much for the story and would rather enjoy the multiplayer. Are the multiplayer servers still active? And there's a revoke tool for the activation, yes?

[quote name='NutManIV']Securom detects ANY new hardware change as a new machine. If I upgrade my RAM, CPU or Graphics card or anything else, it needs a new install.[/QUOTE]

You clearly dont use any products with the newer versions of securom. By default it does not require a re-installation if a component or two are changed. The only things it doesnt like is a clean installation of windows [obvious] and a new HDD. You can swap your graphics card or ram out any time without an issue. If you wanted to upgrade everything just deauthenticate the machine.

I'm not saying the DRM is right or wrong in its restrictions but at least get your facts straight before you start the fear mongering.

[quote name='buckythekat']pretty sure they have a deauthorization tool

edit: found the page

http://activate.ea.com/deauthorize/gamesList.html

mind you not all games pictured there have the DRM on Steam, Mass Effect doesn't for sure[/QUOTE]

If you look closely you'll notice it only lists Crysis Warhead. I'm pretty sure there's still no revoke tool for the original Crysis you get on Steam. Once you run out of activations you apparently have the option to contact EA for an additional activation if they think it's warranted.
"Regarding the Digital Restrictions Management system in Crysis, please note that activation of the game can only be completed on 5 computer systems. Anyone should be able to reinstall the game as many times as they wish on any of the 5 computer systems it has already been performed on. However, when 5 installation will be over then you need to contact us, we are on hand to supply any additional authorizations that are warranted. This will be done on a case-by-case basis by contacting Customer Support.

However, in case of Crysis Warhead you can also use the Crysis Warhead DRM Deauthorisation tool to get additional authorization."
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9078290&postcount=8

[quote name='brettsp']I hear the steam version only comes with the 32bit executables, and the retail version contains both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions and the 64 bit versions have been reported to be a lot faster on some 64 bit systems. Is this true?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I think there's a conflict with the 'Steam Community' thing so they had to take it out. Not sure how much of a benefit there is to the 64 bit executable though. I've heard different things.

bread's done
Back