Steam Weekend Deal: Mass Effect - $9.99 (50% off)

DukeEdwardI

CAGiversary!
Feedback
59 (100%)
header.jpg

Mass Effect - $9.99

[quote name='InFlames215']I bit. Had the 360 version and sold it, but I noticed a friend playing the PC version and I was blown away by the improvements. I couldn't resist at this price, thanks OP.[/QUOTE]

what were the improvements? Does anyone know if you can use a XBOX 360 controller on the PC version of Mass Effect?

Is anyone else having trouble launching into the game. My comp is plenty good enough. It does say a warning at the bottom of the store page that might be the cause but I don't understand what to do, can someone help a stupid person?

MICROSOFT VISTA USERS: Launching “Mass Effect” from Steam requires the setting “Run as Administrator”. If the User Account Control feature of Windows Vista is enabled, launching “Mass Effect” from Steam will result in failure. For users with User Account Control enabled, launch Steam using the “Run as Administrator” option or launch from the windows shortcut

[quote name='tenzor']what were the improvements? Does anyone know if you can use a XBOX 360 controller on the PC version of Mass Effect?[/QUOTE]
They graphics are a bit better, the jazzed up the UI and the frame rate issues are gone. I just got so there could be more but this is what I noticed. The 360 controller isn't supported in Mass Effect PC sadly btw. :(

I have this on the 360 and PC now, I wove this game. Thanks for the heads up dudes! :applause:

[quote name='jason506']Is anyone else having trouble launching into the game. My comp is plenty good enough. It does say a warning at the bottom of the store page that might be the cause but I don't understand what to do, can someone help a stupid person?

MICROSOFT VISTA USERS: Launching “Mass Effect” from Steam requires the setting “Run as Administrator”. If the User Account Control feature of Windows Vista is enabled, launching “Mass Effect” from Steam will result in failure. For users with User Account Control enabled, launch Steam using the “Run as Administrator” option or launch from the windows shortcut[/QUOTE]
Your not stupid! O_O

I fail when it comes to explaining computer things, I just do it but I'll try....
Close Steam then do this: Go to Start>Computer>click on your main Hard Drive>Program Files>Steam>right click on the file that opens Steam>Click Run as Admin

There has to be an easier way but like I said, explaining isn't my thing :p If your computer explodes, find's Xion or whatever it's not my fault. :hot:

[quote name='jason506']Is anyone else having trouble launching into the game. My comp is plenty good enough. It does say a warning at the bottom of the store page that might be the cause but I don't understand what to do, can someone help a stupid person?

MICROSOFT VISTA USERS: Launching “Mass Effect” from Steam requires the setting “Run as Administrator”. If the User Account Control feature of Windows Vista is enabled, launching “Mass Effect” from Steam will result in failure. For users with User Account Control enabled, launch Steam using the “Run as Administrator” option or launch from the windows shortcut[/QUOTE]

Two methods of dealing with this:

1.When installing Mass Effect, check the box that says "Place shortcut to game on desktop". If done correctly, you should be able to simply run the program, and UAC will automatically kick in. (Note that by "done correctly", I mean the installation by steam, not some user malfunction)

2.Much more complicated now.

[quote name='USB Cable']
Close Steam then do this: Go to Start>Computer>click on your main Hard Drive>Program Files>Steam>right click on the file...[/QUOTE]

After you get to this point, make a shortcut to the file onto your desktop. Right click the shortcut on your desktop, and Run as Administrator.
"Wait, why do I have to do that? There's already a shortcut that does it on my desktop!"
That shortcut has been configured so that it will never run as admin. Requiring the reacharound. Sorry. You're welcome to try, however, perhaps my default icon just hates me.

Third bonus method:Disable UAC. I won't say how, because I think that UAC is fine for actually doing it's job(no matter how irritating), but if you really want an unintrusive experience, disable it, play your game, and re-enable it one day. A quick google search should give you what you want.

Last note:If you have no access to admin privileges at all(like an account meant for a child got locked by a parent), you have no chance of running the game. However, you don't appear to be in this situation.

DDrpower, is there truly no way to run the game on non-admin accounts? I want my son to be able to play it, but I can't trust him with admin privileges.

[quote name='ddrpower']Two methods of dealing with this:

1.When installing Mass Effect, check the box that says "Place shortcut to game on desktop". If done correctly, you should be able to simply run the program, and UAC will automatically kick in. (Note that by "done correctly", I mean the installation by steam, not some user malfunction)

2.Much more complicated now.

After you get to this point, make a shortcut to the file onto your desktop. Right click the shortcut on your desktop, and Run as Administrator.
"Wait, why do I have to do that? There's already a shortcut that does it on my desktop!"
That shortcut has been configured so that it will never run as admin. Requiring the reacharound. Sorry. You're welcome to try, however, perhaps my default icon just hates me.

Third bonus method:Disable UAC. I won't say how, because I think that UAC is fine for actually doing it's job(no matter how irritating), but if you really want an unintrusive experience, disable it, play your game, and re-enable it one day. A quick google search should give you what you want.

Last note:If you have no access to admin privileges at all(like an account meant for a child got locked by a parent), you have no chance of running the game. However, you don't appear to be in this situation.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for clearing that up! On a side note, I have Windows 7 and it ran fine without this extra step.

Glad I didn't buy this last week for $20! I played the 360 version when it came out, but remember nothing from it and wanted to replay it on PC so I can use the same character in the sequel on PC (and hopefully understand what's going on--how do they expect us to remember so long after the first one came out?).

I suppose now they'll release a $20 "Gold" version that comes with all the DLC.

[quote name='eastx']DDrpower, is there truly no way to run the game on non-admin accounts? I want my son to be able to play it, but I can't trust him with admin privileges.[/QUOTE]

The reason Vista fights you off is because of User Account Control. This means that a program cannot access Program Files and other major directories without you knowing it. Mass Effect likely writes to it's directory, for some reason(saves? inis? DRM?). As a result, it requires the authentication to run. This is to protect against viruses because you can cancel any program you don't know. Unfortunately, Mass effect requires it, so the only thing you can do is to remove UAC(which may be able to keep him from admin access, but also removes the point of UAC in the first place), or just give him admin. The alternative is that bioware can release a patch, but seeing as how the game is two years old...

Windows 7 probably got smart and changed the way UAC works, so that Mass Effect has no problem.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']

I suppose now they'll release a $20 "Gold" version that comes with all the DLC.[/QUOTE]

DLC is included in this version. Just have to register at Bioware for free download.

All in Steam forum sticky :applause:

Bought it. I have been interested in playing this for a while. It will be a nice diversion for a week or so until my CODMW2 comes in the mail.

So has anyone had any more major problems with it? Even ten dollars is too much for a bad port and I just want to make sure everything's working.

[quote name='kilm']Does any one know if there's some kind of additional DRM like install limits for the Steam version? I know retail version got some flak for its install limit, so I'm wondering if that transferred onto the Steam version.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Escargoexpress']So did they strip out whatever copy protection was on the disc version? I remember there was a huge hubbub about the PC release due to the activation process[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mythus']i bought it cause of that very reason. no drm in steam versions of ea games. Like i said before, i love having a physical copy, but in the case, i prefer stream[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MysterD']Steam itself is a form of DRM.
Mild, yes - but it still requires you to have an account w/ them.

I wish they'd strip the Securom DRM check out of the retail box version.

Mass Effect PC is definitely worth $9.99, if you ask me.[/QUOTE]

Okay, it sounds like this answers all my questions-the retail release DOES still have activation even though newer EA games removed it (GRR!) and the Steam version only uses Steam activation, not Steam + Securom (for those publishers where one layer of activation just isn't enough :lol: )

Dang...I'm really tempted by this for some reason. $5 I'd bite for sure.

[quote name='USB Cable']They graphics are a bit better, the jazzed up the UI and the frame rate issues are gone. I just got so there could be more but this is what I noticed. The 360 controller isn't supported in Mass Effect PC sadly btw. :([/QUOTE]

That's weird it's not supported. Too bad since it works well with the gamepad. Probably works as well or better with mouse/keyboard too, but considering it already HAD gamepad support...!

[quote name='ddrpower']Windows 7 probably got smart and changed the way UAC works, so that Mass Effect has no problem.[/QUOTE]

It can be (usually just a tiny bit) annoying, but UAC is a REALLY good thing, and really every other modern OS has something like it too (although UAC has some tricks that may make it more secure than how say OS X does it).

Windows 7 unfortunatly defaults to a lower level of security for it-the first thing I did with my 7 install was raise it up one level, which more or less makes it like Vista. The default level allows Microsoft programs to elevate themselves. The problem with that is malware while it may not be able to elevate itself, can just tap into a piece of software that IS allowed to elevate itself, thus totally bypassing security. It makes having UAC on but not full strength almost as bad as not having it on (aside from it catching "dumb" malware).

It's such an obvious flaw that it was actually exploited while 7 was still in BETA. But unfortunately Microsoft backed down with all the people whining about it, who really doesn't understand what it is or why it's a good thing (and should hardly ever be seeing it anyway).

[quote name='Thataznguy']Can anyone answer my question[/QUOTE]

If they accept amex you can use it. It's a major CC company so I don't see why not.

[quote name='sotc1988']So has anyone had any more major problems with it? Even ten dollars is too much for a bad port and I just want to make sure everything's working.[/QUOTE]

It's said more than once in this thread that the PC version is much better than the 360 version, so asking if this is a bad port is pretty silly.

Very overrated game. I lost interest in it on my initial playthrough mostly because I found the story uninteresting and the side quests an absolute bore.

Giving it another shot with this deal though, gonna stick to just the main storyline this time and want to see how the relationship aspect of the game plays out.

I went ahead and bought it. I'm kinda bummed that it's not a GFW Live game, but oh well.

Runs beautifully on my fairly outdated machine.

[quote name='eastx']It's said more than once in this thread that the PC version is much better than the 360 version, so asking if this is a bad port is pretty silly.[/QUOTE]
I've heard there were issues with installing the game on certain computers and after reading a few message boards not too long ago, it seemed as if the game had quite a few problems that may or may not have been fixed with a patch since the last time I read up on it. So drop the attitude alright?

[quote name='Wolfpup']That's weird it's not supported. Too bad since it works well with the gamepad. Probably works as well or better with mouse/keyboard too, but considering it already HAD gamepad support...![/QUOTE]

It's probably because they completely overhauled the UI and controls for the PC version, so going back and re-adding the clunkier Xbox 360 interface that would only be used when playing on a gamepad most likely wasn't deemed worthwhile.

I wasn't all that impressed with the controls on the Xbox 360 version though. The way you had to pause the game and view a menu to use abilities or switch weapons hurt the flow of the combat. It was always annoying having to aim at something, hold down a button, and then select your ability from a list instead of just being able to instantly use it (unless it was the last ability you used).

I know there have been some games that not only support both, the adjust the interface on the fly when you hit a button on the gamepad and vice versa, which is pretty cool.

I assume this is just fine with m/k but still it strikes me as a bit weird when the work's already done.
EDIT: If I'm remembering right, they quadrupled the number of items you can hold over the Xbox version, but still didn't fix the inventory, which was the game's only real issue (and hardly a game breaking issue).

[quote name='eastx']Nope. Read the thread.[/QUOTE]
So glad I could have this intelligent discussion with you. It's been a while since I've talked with someone who provided thoughtful recourse and backed up the pithy insults he makes.
Nah, I'm just kidding. Go fuckyourself. And I think you've wasted our time enough in this thread by not responding to my question in a simple way. So please don't let your ego trick you into making another pathetic attempt at arguing...I trust you'll take this advice seriously. You are only embarrassing yourself further

I'm definitely interested, but a little gunshy, given that there could be a crazy good preorder incentive for ME2 a little down the line.

Is it me or does this game crash a lot during conversations? I've had it crash to desktop about 5 times during the first 3 hours, all during conversations. Incredibly annoying.

I've never heard anyone else say anything about crashes, though haven;t played it. Are your drivers up to date?

I'm about 2 or 3 hours in and have not had a crash. I'm on Windows 7 64-bit with the latest Nvidia drivers.

Is anyone getting any sporadic noise errors? Like in Flux in the Citadel, there's no sound except for the sound of those gambling machines.

[quote name='sotc1988']I've heard there were issues with installing the game on certain computers and after reading a few message boards not too long ago, it seemed as if the game had quite a few problems that may or may not have been fixed with a patch since the last time I read up on it. So drop the attitude alright?[/QUOTE]

you know what? dont buy it then. its the PC, there will always be computer illiterates on forums complaining about this or that. there will ALWAYS be "issues with installing on certain computers" for EVERY piece of software.plus remember, the most vocal people on message boards are a) bored and b) experience difficulty X with product Y for reason Z, there could be 1000x that amount of happy customers but you'll never hear from them cause they are busy playing the game. if you have a halfway decent computer, and know your way around it, it will be fine. and if you did all this research on all these forums from all those users, WHY THE HELL are you here asking the question again? can one reply sway you? buy it or dont, we dont care.

its a great game at an unbeatable price. it was worth the 60$ at release and is worth a 10$ rebuy for a different [better] platform.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I've never heard anyone else say anything about crashes, though haven;t played it. Are your drivers up to date?[/QUOTE]

Aye, everything is up-to-date. Computer is relatively new too (Q9550, 8 Gig RAM, GTX 260.) The really weird thing is, I played again yesterday and it didn't crash once. VERY odd. Game is fun so far too.

Running fine for me, no crashes at all. A few sound bugs here and there but I assume that's been the case for most. Runs pretty good too.

Well, I buy it over the weekend, and initially it wasn't able to launch (I'm using Vista), but after tweaking around with the settings by using the MassEffectLauncher.exe, it works now!

[quote name='Takeda Kenshi']Aye, everything is up-to-date. Computer is relatively new too (Q9550, 8 Gig RAM, GTX 260.) The really weird thing is, I played again yesterday and it didn't crash once. VERY odd. Game is fun so far too.[/QUOTE]

Glad you're liking it! It's probably my third favorite game ever (behind Nethack and Deus Ex).

Hopefully I won't have crash issues. I'm STILL downloading it at night :lol: Got up to 80% last night.

bread's done
Back