Street Fighter II coming to the VC (COMPLAINT!)

jkam

CAGiversary!
Feedback
262 (100%)
http://www.codenamerevolution.com/?p=3467

Hmmm...now I like Street Fighter II and all but will this be the old SNES version? I think this is the one area where the VC will be annoying. Getting an inferior version to the arcade version on such a capable system. It's kind of like getting the Donkey Kong Jr. NES version instead of the arcade one. It really wouldn't hurt to see this online either. I wish they would just put alpha anthology or something like that on a disc and add some online via wiiconnect. Anything less seems kind of meh at this point.

[quote name='jkam']http://www.codenamerevolution.com/?p=3467

Hmmm...now I like Street Fighter II and all but will this be the old SNES version? I think this is the one area where the VC will be annoying. Getting an inferior version to the arcade version on such a capable system. It's kind of like getting the Donkey Kong Jr. NES version instead of the arcade one. It really wouldn't hurt to see this online either. I wish they would just put alpha anthology or something like that on a disc and add some online via wiiconnect. Anything less seems kind of meh at this point.[/QUOTE]

On the flip side, on the 360, we get arcade versions of games like Contra when the NES one is clearly superior.

So it works both ways, I guess.

[quote name='maigoyume']its been a long time since i've seen any kind of SF game on a nintendo system (CvS2 EO Edition doesn't count)[/QUOTE]

It does if you use the Hori Controller instead of the regular gamecube pad. It made it much more playable.

[quote name='Roufuss']On the flip side, on the 360, we get arcade versions of games like Contra when the NES one is clearly superior.

So it works both ways, I guess.[/QUOTE]

Yeah true...kind of like the capcom classics collection getting the arcade Bionic Commando.

[quote name='Roufuss']On the flip side, on the 360, we get arcade versions of games like Contra when the NES one is clearly superior.

Rofl.

This makes the VCs the Bizarro Worlds of each system.

Now we just need the PS3 to get an arcade version of FF7.

Oh, I'm sure one exists.

[quote name='Strell']Rofl.

Oh, I'm sure one exists.[/quote]

You'd be right prolly... because the FF64 (that was basically FF7) was never ported to anything, just ran on a SGI workstation... which I had a chance to see as kid (totally by chance) at a computer confrence in LA. So basically it was an arcade machine.

Final_Fantasy_SGI_demo.png

I dont remember too much about it, but I do remember that you had to draw things on the screen (using the mouse) to use the magic. Very DS like...

I would love to see this go back in to development for the DS.

I don't think there's a substantial difference b/w the arcade and NES Contra.

Now, Contra III: The Alien Wars? I'll buy the hell out of that shit.

As for SFII, I can understand people's irritation with that. Welcome to Xbox Live Arcade. Companies are testing out the market, because it is all brand new and unknown. Can they sell NES titles for $5? Can they sell uniforms to Madden players for $3? Can they make you pay to unlock cheats in Tiger Woods? Will people buy the original version of SFII?

Well, will you? It's up to you to skew their data and let them know what you will and will not pay for. It's up to you to decide if you want something, and to buy it or not. Just because SFII is available doesn't mean you'll always get "the shit version" from now on, or that a precedent is being set.

The precedent is being *tested*. If nobody buys Bradygames' hint guide video on XBLA, they'll stop doing it. If nobody buys extra stadiums in Madden (because they're already available for free on the other versions of the game), they'll stop doing it. This isn't a sign of the imminent downfall of digitally delivered content; it's a sign of what you will buy as a consumer. Do the right goddamned thing then.

[quote name='mykevermin']I don't think there's a substantial difference b/w the arcade and NES Contra.
[/QUOTE]

Trust me, there is.

The arcade game, the one I played on the 360, the levels are significantly shorter. Hell, on the arcade, levels 5 - 8 are all mashed into one giant level. On the NES, each level is made about twice as long with alot more detail put into it, as well as seperating them into their own distinct levels.

I'd say the NES version of Contra is about 2 to 3 times longer than the arcade one is.

[quote name='Roufuss']Trust me, there is.

The arcade game, the one I played on the 360, the levels are significantly shorter. Hell, on the arcade, levels 5 - 8 are all mashed into one giant level. On the NES, each level is made about twice as long with alot more detail put into it, as well as seperating them into their own distinct levels.

I'd say the NES version of Contra is about 2 to 3 times longer than the arcade one is.[/quote]

Yeah, but does the NES version show your 2nd player guy jumping around frantically for no reason at the bottom of the waterfall getting killed on the 2nd Stage? No? Then we obviously know that the XBL port rules all.

*Sarcasm

I don't know about you guys, but I love the SNES cart of Street Fighter 2. Especially the TURBO edition. Call it nostalgia.

And I think the reason the arcade version won't be available for download is because the Virtual Console uses eumulator software in the Wii to emulate the NES, SNES, TG-16, etc. I may be wrong, but if it wasn't on one of those systems, then you're outta luck.

already got this on XBLA with online play. If that only held my interest for a short time, then this one isn't worth it to me.

Now, Contra III: The Alien Wars? I'll buy the hell out of that shit.

I like the way you think, good sir :)

Hmmm... $8 for a shitty port of SFII or $20 for CCC Vol. 2 with an arcade perfect SSFIIT and 20 other games... somehow, paying $8 for a watered-down port is sorta like getting raped.

[quote name='mykevermin']

Well, will you? It's up to you to skew their data and let them know what you will and will not pay for. It's up to you to decide if you want something, and to buy it or not. Just because SFII is available doesn't mean you'll always get "the shit version" from now on, or that a precedent is being set.

[/QUOTE]

I definitely understand where you are coming from... but I would hope that if I didn't buy Street Fighter II for the SNES that the possibility of seeing an online version of say Alpha 3 wouldn't be squashed because they would feel no one would care about it or buy it. If you told me if I buy Street Fighter II now which would mean down the road I'll get Alpha 3 online or something then I would go for it. It's kind of shitty logic but I would think some sort of demand would need to be there for them to bother.

[quote name='Cambot']I don't know about you guys, but I love the SNES cart of Street Fighter 2. Especially the TURBO edition. Call it nostalgia.

And I think the reason the arcade version won't be available for download is because the Virtual Console uses emulator software in the Wii to emulate the NES, SNES, TG-16, etc. I may be wrong, but if it wasn't on one of those systems, then you're outta luck.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying that SFII on the SNES is bad per say but if I can get an arcade perfect version over the SNES version then I would prefer it. I would also assume if they can get all these games to run on compilations like alpha anthology then they could emulate them on the Wii and wouldn't be a problem.

I don't mind, I loved the SNES versions and they were pretty damn perfect. Mortal Kombat II was great for SNES as well.

[quote name='Chacrana']Hmmm... $8 for a shitty port of SFII or $20 for CCC Vol. 2 with an arcade perfect SSFIIT and 20 other games... somehow, paying $8 for a watered-down port is sorta like getting raped.[/QUOTE]

Yes exactly. Why release inferior versions when the original arcade versions are already being released elsewhere? I mean when it comes down to it...a game like Street Fighter II is not something like Super Mario Bros. It isn't as it should have been in its original form. It was dumbed down a bit due to limitations of the SNES at the time.

[quote name='jkam']I definitely understand where you are coming from... but I would hope that if I didn't buy Street Fighter II for the SNES that the possibility of seeing an online version of say Alpha 3 wouldn't be squashed because they would feel no one would care about it or buy it. If you told me if I buy Street Fighter II now which would mean down the road I'll get Alpha 3 online or something then I would go for it. It's kind of shitty logic but I would think some sort of demand would need to be there for them to bother.[/QUOTE]

Ah, the perils of rational choice. Which decision (buying or not buying) will lead down the path with the results we want?

I'm not convinced, personally, that we'll ever see any additions/online play for VC titles. That's not a huge deal to me (though Tecmo Bowl online - the NES version, mind you - might just end me ever buying new games to play ever again), but the way I understand it, the virtual console is not meant to bring new or updated content - just the classics as they were meant to be. That's not to say we'll never see a new game here and there, but as for updating old games...I never expected it, and I won't.

As for cambot's point about SNES version vs Arcade version, that's not the complaint. It's the the SNES had three (not counting SFA2) versions of Street Fighter II released on it: "Regular," Turbo, and Super. Regular, being based off of the pre-Champion Edition arcade version, is still fun, but (1) slow, (2) dated and inferior to other versions that were available on SNES. The argument isn't SNES versus Arcade, it's "well, should I spend $8 now when Turbo/Super will be the same price when it comes out on this date?" Or, perhaps, just a "What's the matter with companies that want to sell me shitty versions of games?" question. It has nothing to do with the arcade, IMO.

[quote name='Kendro']I don't mind, I loved the SNES versions and they were pretty damn perfect. Mortal Kombat II was great for SNES as well.[/quote]

hopefully they dont bring the mk1 snes version

Perhaps in the future, Nintendo will come out with a arcade system choice but until then you're getting the SNES version.

[quote name='guyver2077']hopefully they dont bring the mk1 snes version[/quote]

Why not? That version was great, a million times better than the Genesis version. What? You dont like sweat? Even the substituted fatalities were kooler. Sub Zero freezing a guy and then punching him into a little pile of icecubes? Awesome! Okay, so Kanos fatality blew, he reached into your chest cavity and pulled out... nothing? I'll take the great graphics and gameplay of the snes version over the big pixelly red blood squares of the Genesis version any day.

wow- a 15 year old fanboy argument just erupted out of me! :lol:

[quote name='Puffa469']Why not? That version was great, a million times better than the Genesis version. What? You dont like sweat? Even the substituted fatalities were kooler. Sub Zero freezing a guy and then punching him into a little pile of icecubes? Awesome! Okay, so Kanos fatality blew, he reached into your chest cavity and pulled out... nothing? I'll take the great graphics and gameplay of the snes version over the big pixelly red blood squares of the Genesis version any day.

wow- a 15 year old fanboy argument just erupted out of me! :lol:[/QUOTE]

just....no. MK1 snes should be taboo to even mention. ;)

[quote name='Puffa469']Why not? That version was great, a million times better than the Genesis version. What? You dont like sweat? Even the substituted fatalities were kooler. Sub Zero freezing a guy and then punching him into a little pile of icecubes? Awesome! Okay, so Kanos fatality blew, he reached into your chest cavity and pulled out... nothing? I'll take the great graphics and gameplay of the snes version over the big pixelly red blood squares of the Genesis version any day.

wow- a 15 year old fanboy argument just erupted out of me! :lol:[/QUOTE]

Sarcasm?

But seriously, this is a swift kick in the groin considering that Xbox Live not only a superior build of the game, but it also had online play, all for only 2 dollars more.

jkam - I'm almost positive that your best chance of an online enabled Alpha 3 is with XBL arcade. Maybe even PS3. Definately not Wii though.

[quote name='mykevermin']Ah, the perils of rational choice. Which decision (buying or not buying) will lead down the path with the results we want?

I'm not convinced, personally, that we'll ever see any additions/online play for VC titles. That's not a huge deal to me (though Tecmo Bowl online - the NES version, mind you - might just end me ever buying new games to play ever again), but the way I understand it, the virtual console is not meant to bring new or updated content - just the classics as they were meant to be. That's not to say we'll never see a new game here and there, but as for updating old games...I never expected it, and I won't.

As for cambot's point about SNES version vs Arcade version, that's not the complaint. It's the the SNES had three (not counting SFA2) versions of Street Fighter II released on it: "Regular," Turbo, and Super. Regular, being based off of the pre-Champion Edition arcade version, is still fun, but (1) slow, (2) dated and inferior to other versions that were available on SNES. The argument isn't SNES versus Arcade, it's "well, should I spend $8 now when Turbo/Super will be the same price when it comes out on this date?" Or, perhaps, just a "What's the matter with companies that want to sell me shitty versions of games?" question. It has nothing to do with the arcade, IMO.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jimfoley16']
jkam - I'm almost positive that your best chance of an online enabled Alpha 3 is with XBL arcade. Maybe even PS3. Definately not Wii though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree with you both...I guess I'm just a little upset because in a way I feel its untapped potential. I just wish all 3 companies would actually look at what is out there and make a decision on what the absolute BEST choice would be overall rather than just doing it their way.

[quote name='yukine']It is called "Virtual Console." I don't know why people expected arcade ports in the first place.[/QUOTE]

I think it's more of an issue of Nintendo wasting their time on something that nobody really needs at this point... or at least, SFII seems to be stealing away time that could be spent bringing something like Super Metroid or Super Mario RPG over.

[quote name='Chacrana']I think it's more of an issue of Nintendo wasting their time on something that nobody really needs at this point... or at least, SFII seems to be stealing away time that could be spent bringing something like Super Metroid or Super Mario RPG over.[/quote]
I don't think anyone is complaining about the game being on the Virtual Console in the first place, it's just about what version is getting ported over in which people are having a shit fit about.

I do agree with you, though.

[quote name='Yashouzoid']Be glad something notable is being brought to the VC.

Look at what we have now. Come on, F-Zero and SimCity?[/quote]

Nothing wrong with F-Zero, I wouldn't buy it though, since I already have it in cart form.

[quote name='Cambot']I don't know about you guys, but I love the SNES cart of Street Fighter 2. Especially the TURBO edition. Call it nostalgia.

And I think the reason the arcade version won't be available for download is because the Virtual Console uses eumulator software in the Wii to emulate the NES, SNES, TG-16, etc. I may be wrong, but if it wasn't on one of those systems, then you're outta luck.[/QUOTE]

Would LOVE LOVE LOVE the Turbo version...IF it would allow for online play! I think this is where Nintendo is REALLY missing the boat. Pro Wrestling online would kick 85,000 kinds of ass.

RD

[quote name='Strell']Rofl.

Oh, I'm sure one exists.[/QUOTE]

LOL! I don't know why I think that's funny, but I do. It has little arrows in it that light up and go "ding ding" when it's time to keep moving to the right. It's unbalanced though, just so you have to keep pumping in more quarters :D

I like Capcom Mini-Mix for the GBA WAAAAY better than Capcom Collection on the PSP even though that has 90x more games, just because the GBA one is NES games, which were better than their arcade counterparts. NES Bionic Commando is one of the best action games ever made (and I love that you can tell it's by the same company that's making Lost Planet-they both look phenomenal for their time, and have gameplay that's not quite normal and insanely memerable).

Regarding Street Fighter II, even the first SNES version is better than that monstrosity on Live Arcade. The 360's d-pad is almost unusable, the buttons aren't very good for it, it runs kind of weird and way too fast (with no options on that, at least in the demo) etc. I'd much rather play the first SNES game (of course I already own it...and online play WOULD be cool for it).

[quote name='yukine']Nothing wrong with F-Zero, I wouldn't buy it though, since I already have it in cart form.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, F-Zero and Sim City are better buys (if you don't already own them like I do) than Street Fighter 2, just because with Street Fighter 2 you can get 9 bajillion better versions since that came out, and F-Zero and Sim City in some regards haven't really been topped-at least they're still unique experiences that nothing else (not even their sequels) completely replaces.

Street Fighter 2-well, I already own Super Street Fighter 2 for the Playstation. And I own Alpha 2 and 3, and there's a bajillion other ways to get it (except through Live Arcade :D )

Also, anyone who has never played the SNES version of Sim Ciy should give it a download. The missions in the game are a blast and the fucking monster attack is Bowser. How can you get any cooler then that?

I still haven't finished all those missions. I should do that some day.

I remember renting it back in the day and being up until 3am with it. Same deal with Final Fantasy 4 (and to this day I vastly prefer the easy version we got to the "real" version. There's no strategy to the real version, it's just you have to spend hours leveling up or you lose)

[quote name='jkam']Yes exactly. Why release inferior versions when the original arcade versions are already being released elsewhere? I mean when it comes down to it...a game like Street Fighter II is not something like Super Mario Bros. It isn't as it should have been in its original form. It was dumbed down a bit due to limitations of the SNES at the time.[/QUOTE]

I have friends who FAR prefer the SNES version of SFII Turbo to the arcade. Diff'rent strokes.

RD

WrestleCrap'sRD;2483542 said:
Would LOVE LOVE LOVE the Turbo version...IF it would allow for online play! I think this is where Nintendo is REALLY missing the boat. Pro Wrestling online would kick 85,000 kinds of ass.

RD
Whoa, since when did RD post here? Geez, you and CheapyD together would create one of the best bald tag teams since the Harris brothers.......

bread's done
Back