Street Fighter IV - Gen Discussion & Info

I just got the fight stick that I had on reserve at Gamestop. However, I have a TE on reserve at BestBuy that won't arrive until March 1st. Is there a real difference between the sticks, like Night or Day or kinda like evening or late night? I might stick to this one at launch and sell it on eBay later.

it depends on you.

if u play at a competitively high level then yes the difference is drastic.

if u play at a casual level and never push yourself to the top then you most likely will not notice.

[quote name='JEKKI']it depends on you.

if u play at a competitively high level then yes the difference is drastic.

if u play at a casual level and never push yourself to the top then you most likely will not notice.[/QUOTE]

Whenever people say that, I have no idea what kind of competitive level? Are we talking tournaments, or able to win consistently at online play in Ranked play? If it's the second, then it's bullshit. You can still be very competitive using a pad. It's not like you're some kind of fucking bottomfeeding player if you don't use a stick.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Whenever people say that, I have no idea what kind of competitive level? Are we talking tournaments, or able to win consistently at online play in Ranked play? If it's the second, then it's bullshit. You can still be very competitive using a pad. It's not like you're some kind of fucking bottomfeeding player if you don't use a stick.[/QUOTE]

There's just certain techniques that can only be accomplished with a stick, or only reliably. That's why I agree with Jekki - casual players won't lose out on anything by using a fight pad, but if you actually want to play at the fully advanced level, a stick matters. Apparently nobody has ever won a major tournament using a pad. I'm sure those tournament players also do very well with pads when they play that way though...

I don't like using pads at all. I played on a regular basis in the 90s w/ SFII and marvel vs capcom 2 years later and I do much better with a stick. I'm not a god but I'm certainly not a n00b.

Let's see if I can put a good spin on this discussion.

Let's say you had a dood. We'll call him Dood A. He gets cloned, so now we have Dood A and Dood A: The Clone, or Timmy for short. We have Dood A and Timmy.

If we set both of them against each other, and gave Dood A - who shall now be referred to as Hardspork Candyjaw - a pad, and then gave Timmy - now known as Boobelgoob - the TE stick, would Boobelgoob spank Hardspork? Assume all else is equal - they are both wearing neon green speedos, for example, and both had fights with their stupid girlfriends last night because neither of them bought the EXACT brand of lemonade she likes. Also, they have pet porcupines.

I imagine the stick player has a general advantage, yeah? "General" in the sense that I imagine people can control precise movements with their arms better than their thumbs. However, this does not mean that an exceptionally practiced pad player wouldn't take out a sticker.

Commence discussion! Also, please refer to Boobelgoob as Boobelgoob the Boobelgoob.

My Gamestop guy told me once they get it, they'll sell it. BUT they don't expect to get it until Wednesday because Tuesday's the ship date.

Capcom told us we weren't allowed to sell until Tuesday. It's possible that GameCrazy can sell it a day early due to the partnership with them (hence why we get exclusive preorder items and whatnot).

It's not streeted so it won't ship early (Tuesday is the ship date), but the RM told the DM to told everyone to expect it Tuesday morning or afternoon. MSU, I know you hate GC, but if you want it bad enough, I'd give GC a call around noon or one on Tuesday. I'll post an update to the status if I receive it.

[quote name='Strell']Let's see if I can put a good spin on this discussion.

Let's say you had a dood. We'll call him Dood A. He gets cloned, so now we have Dood A and Dood A: The Clone, or Timmy for short. We have Dood A and Timmy.

If we set both of them against each other, and gave Dood A - who shall now be referred to as Hardspork Candyjaw - a pad, and then gave Timmy - now known as Boobelgoob - the TE stick, would Boobelgoob spank Hardspork? Assume all else is equal - they are both wearing neon green speedos, for example, and both had fights with their stupid girlfriends last night because neither of them bought the EXACT brand of lemonade she likes. Also, they have pet porcupines.

I imagine the stick player has a general advantage, yeah? "General" in the sense that I imagine people can control precise movements with their arms better than their thumbs. However, this does not mean that an exceptionally practiced pad player wouldn't take out a sticker.

Commence discussion! Also, please refer to Boobelgoob as Boobelgoob the Boobelgoob.[/quote]

I disagree. I think it depends on how used to their respective controllers they actually are. To me it seems like the difference between pad and stick is that pad has a threshold level of mastery. Once you get to the level, you can't really advance anymore because of the limitations that the hardware puts on the player. Stick is less limited than pad since there are wider and more precise ranges of motion.

So Dood A and Timmy will be equal in skill up to a certain point, but then Timmy might be able to gain an advantage over time. That's my take on it anyway.

Hey Guile, clear up your PMs I wanted to msg you about something off topic but it said your PMs box was full. lol.

Anyways, when is Amazon shipping this game for prime members? Are we getting it Tuesday or Wednesday?

And that patch is due the week it comes out?

[quote name='Scorch']Capcom told us we weren't allowed to sell until Tuesday. It's possible that GameCrazy can sell it a day early due to the partnership with them (hence why we get exclusive preorder items and whatnot).

It's not streeted so it won't ship early (Tuesday is the ship date), but the RM told the DM to told everyone to expect it Tuesday morning or afternoon. MSU, I know you hate GC, but if you want it bad enough, I'd give GC a call around noon or one on Tuesday. I'll post an update to the status if I receive it.[/quote]

No don't worry about it. I have a PS3 LE and a PS3 TE stick paid off at Gamestop. I was just saying from what I was told they are having all the managers go to the UPS distributor in Earth City to pick up the games on Tuesday morning, then hold them until Wednesday. I was just pissed off.

Hey I did buy Burnout Paradise for 360 at my local GC, because they were the only ones who still had a copy that wasn't scratched to hell. They never responded to my BBB and MO Attorney General complaints though.

[quote name='eastx']There's just certain techniques that can only be accomplished with a stick, or only reliably. That's why I agree with Jekki - casual players won't lose out on anything by using a fight pad, but if you actually want to play at the fully advanced level, a stick matters. Apparently nobody has ever won a major tournament using a pad. I'm sure those tournament players also do very well with pads when they play that way though...[/QUOTE]

If we're talking about tournament players only using sticks that's fine. I wouldn't expect tournament players to use pads. But you also can't say that people who use pads are ONLY casual players of Street Fighter. I consider myself an intermediate player and I can usually end a night of HD Remix ranked online play with a ratio of 2:1 of wins to losses. My record right now is shit because of that achievement of winning with everyone in a ranked match....fucking lost like 12 in a row with Vega after winning my first 8 or 9 with a different character each time.

It just bothers me, not necessarily what you said eastx, but when people say you HAVE to have a stick just to be competitive which isn't true. I'll agree it's true in tournaments, but you don't need a stick to be competitive on XBL ranked matches.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']If we're talking about tournament players only using sticks that's fine. I wouldn't expect tournament players to use pads. But you also can't say that people who use pads are ONLY casual players of Street Fighter. I consider myself an intermediate player and I can usually end a night of HD Remix ranked online play with a ratio of 2:1 of wins to losses. My record right now is shit because of that achievement of winning with everyone in a ranked match....fucking lost like 12 in a row with Vega after winning my first 8 or 9 with a different character each time.

It just bothers me, not necessarily what you said eastx, but when people say you HAVE to have a stick just to be competitive which isn't true. I'll agree it's true in tournaments, but you don't need a stick to be competitive on XBL ranked matches.[/quote]

Should've done that achievement in player matches.

Sakura has a 3rd outfit? Heard this comes in the beauty pack.

Those shorts are nice..... :)

uts7q.jpg

[quote name='The 7th Number']Sakura has a 3rd outfit? Heard this comes in the beauty pack.

Those shorts are nice..... :)

uts7q.jpg
[/quote]

I hope its real I really like that one lol. Where'd you get that pic from?

Does anyone know anything on the free Chun-li figure that Toys R' Us is giving away with the game? If you check the online ad for the game it shows a nice figurine of Chun-li, however my only concern is the size (doesn't say how big it is).

The weird thing is, they haven't announced any more DLC besides those costume packs coming in the next few weeks... and they've already stated that those will be the ones in the arcade. Does that mean that the gym outfit Sakura above is a leak of future DLC? Or maybe there actually are alternate costumes included for free in the home version as well?

[quote name='GuardianE']The weird thing is, they haven't announced any more DLC besides those costume packs coming in the next few weeks... and they've already stated that those will be the ones in the arcade. Does that mean that the gym outfit Sakura above is a leak of future DLC? Or maybe there actually are alternate costumes included for free in the home version as well?[/QUOTE]

or a photoshop.

Hey guys, unfortunately I had my wallet stolen last sunday, and I had a pre-order for SF4 the collector's edition on amazon, so I had to cancel my order. Right now online it seems everywhere is sold out of the pre-orders. Where do you think would be my best bet to get my hands on a collector's edition. Any suggestions, a B&M and Online solution would be appreciated. Thanks all.

[quote name='Myzar']Hey guys, unfortunately I had my wallet stolen last sunday, and I had a pre-order for SF4 the collector's edition on amazon, so I had to cancel my order. Right now online it seems everywhere is sold out of the pre-orders. Where do you think would be my best bet to get my hands on a collector's edition. Any suggestions, a B&M and Online solution would be appreciated. Thanks all.[/quote]

I'm sorry to hear that. Best Buy will have plenty of allocations, I believe.

I see this comes up in the Best Buy inv checker, does this meant here is a chance they can have it on the shelves today ? (Monday, 16th)? if so I can pass by there after work! hehe

[quote name='guardkitty']I see this comes up in the Best Buy inv checker, does this meant here is a chance they can have it on the shelves today ? (Monday, 16th)? if so I can pass by there after work! hehe[/QUOTE]

Just call ahead and make sure.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Just call ahead and make sure.[/quote]

ok ty, any other retailers that might have it today? trying to score one a little early lol

[quote name='Interstella 5555']Does anyone know anything on the free Chun-li figure that Toys R' Us is giving away with the game? If you check the online ad for the game it shows a nice figurine of Chun-li, however my only concern is the size (doesn't say how big it is).[/quote]

4" tall.

[quote name='AlphaQSilly']I hope its real I really like that one lol. Where'd you get that pic from?[/quote]

A friend linked me to it, but i seen it on neogaf after that, which is probably where he got it from.

[quote name='zewone']They're 4" like you posted. :whistle2:s[/quote]

I read that from Kotaku about the free Chun-Li figure from TRU.

I assumed based off prior pictures of the CE that the Viper/Ryu figures would be bigger.

[quote name='guardkitty']ok ty, any other retailers that might have it today? trying to score one a little early lol[/QUOTE]

Everyone has said pretty much tomorrow, some stores are doing midnight launches according to GAF, but they're very few I'm pretty sure.

[quote name='sociopharm02']I think that Best Buy has it today, It is available for in store pick up if you go to the website.[/QUOTE]

Games that Best Buy have the pre-order boxes for will always show up as instock no matter what. Kind of silly, but for example Resident Evil 5 is also available for in store pick up right now.

[quote name='sociopharm02']my friend picked one up from there earlier today so it might be worth a call if you are dying to try it out today.[/QUOTE]

Really? Awesome, I'll have to check thanks!

Tite. My GC confirmed to me that they should get the shipment in by 11 AM. Whoever kept harping on people that it would 100% come on Wednesday because of the holiday today: STFU.

I just got off the phone with my local GC (N. Capital ave, San jose ca) They are going to have it by opening tomorrow and that they are actually currently picking up their boxes in San Fransisco.

I finally got a chance to play with the Fightpad over the weekend and it's excellent. Feels very comfortable.

It's probably me getting used to it but for some reason I'm having a harder time with the left diagonal down for moves like the dragon punch or Balrog's low rush. I can do it fine with the right side of the pad (if I'm on the left side of the screen) but not as consistent on the left. I have a feeling it might just take some getting used to but I'm just curious if anyone has any tips or has had similar experience?

I ordered mine from Amazon and it is saying that it will ship on the 23rd for the game and the 25th for the stick. I placed my preorder around the time that Amazon first posted about having the stick. Anyone else have this issue? I don't have prime and it is saying I should get them some time from March 2nd to March 10th. Even without prime that seems to be a long time.

[quote name='MtlTom']
It's probably me getting used to it but for some reason I'm having a harder time with the left diagonal down for moves like the dragon punch or Balrog's low rush. I can do it fine with the right side of the pad (if I'm on the left side of the screen) but not as consistent on the left. I have a feeling it might just take some getting used to but I'm just curious if anyone has any tips or has had similar experience?[/QUOTE]

This exact thing is going on with me. If I'm on the right side of the screen, it's that much harder to pull off hadokens/shoryukens and so on.

I plan on getting a stick later on, so maybe that'll help it out. Or maybe I'll just practice. Either way.

Do you guys recommend the fightpad? i've heard mixed reviews about it but I just tried to play sf2hd and err i can not pul any moves with the 360 d pad :(

bread's done
Back