Street Fighter IV - Gen Discussion & Info

Well as for the TE stick I have to say it is the best stick I have used. However I should say I have only used the ones for the 360 from Hori and one for the Xbox, PS2, and GC that the buttons were all really really stiff and got it just because I wanted a cheap stick and well I got what I wanted. 150 was worth it for the TE stick I think. I would have never bought it if I had built my own though.

Good assement GuardianE. I agree and its exactly what I did. I knew Madcatz where making them....waited for some user reviews saw a lump of complaints and then wrote them off as more Madcatz trash. It kinda strange because for everything else I am a hardcore gamer but for SF I am straight casual so for the first time in a long time I am thinking like one.

You guys where going to get the sticks regardless (most of you at least) because you are hard core SF fans. But myself and others like me is where Madcatz needed to prove they had changed their ways with a flawless release if they wanted my greenbacks and as a business I am guessing they do.

They were also kind of rushed because of SF4's release date. Say it takes a full year to make a flawless product and they only got 8 months or something. I believe this to be the case because of how their preorders exploded and Madcatz discovered they wouldn't have enough product to meet demand. So I think it's clear that quality control took a hit because of their rush to produce enough product. But they're not being an irresponsible company, either. They have a very good warranty policy for the problems that have shown up. Nobody's going to buy a pad or SE stick that's messed up and have no recourse.

I must reiterate that the SE is not a bad controller. That minor defect that keeps being mentioned is easily fixable by anyone with a screwdriver. You can also easily fix it by putting in a Sanwa or Seimitsu stick and end up with arcade-quality control. That costs a little more, but for people that are serious about the game it's worthwhile. I actually prefer the SE with arcade parts to the TE stick - it's smaller, weighs less, and slightly cheaper to boot.

I had a pretty good day today. I fought a dhalsim who was really good at baiting me with slow fireballs/leg stretches, but I got him with EX fireballs - I was lucky he wasn't teleporting on me :p. Then I fought 4 matches with a guy who beat me with ryu in match 1, then I beat his Ken in round 2. Round 3 was guile vs sagat and he got me again. Round 4 he picks Sagat so I'm thinking he's trying to show me up/toy with me. We spam fireballs for 2 rounds but I finish him off easily because he didn't know how to use EX fireballs which was a little shocking since he was firing the normal ones faster than I could. I was proud about that last fight.

[quote name='Rig']Soooo...

I went to BB and they had one last SFIV FightPad (Ken). I was actually hoping to find Chun-Li.

Now, to sell on eBay, or to open and use it? Nobody happens to have a sealed Chun-Li they want for Ken, do they?

For anybody that has used one, how's the D-pad?[/QUOTE]

The d-pad is great, I can actually pull off the Zangief,Guile,Vega Supers/Ultras now.
A lot better than using the analog and d-pad on the 360 controller. Much more responsive.
And having all 6 buttons on the face is very nice.

I recommend it, and trust me I haven't used a mad catz product since the N64 days.

You don't need to modify an EX2... with an EX2 you just want to use it till you get a better one and then sell it on ebay. :D

[quote name='PhrostByte']You don't need to modify an EX2... with an EX2 you just want to use it till you get a better one and then sell it on ebay. :D[/QUOTE]

hahahahaha yeah thats a good point. you can never beat money :lol:

Well that and an EX2 is a pain in the ass to mod.

Was at 8 ranked in a row and took a very cheap loss, never going to get that achievement. On the upshot over 1,000BP as Rose now and gone from about 35% win before I switched to back over 45%.

Thanks byte will check it out.

Amusedtoe just do quick matches (unless that is what you are doing already) because it picks out only new players that you should be able to beat pretty easy.

[quote name='amusedtoe']Well that and an EX2 is a pain in the ass to mod.

Was at 8 ranked in a row and took a very cheap loss, never going to get that achievement. On the upshot over 1,000BP as Rose now and gone from about 35% win before I switched to back over 45%.[/quote]

I got mine right away, like the first day. 11 wins. Since then, the other day I had a 27 game streak going.

7. Exactly 7. Three of them were sweet as hell though.

But I think a lot of people pick joke players when they see me pick Blanka for some reason.

[quote name='TruVisionary']quick question: How many Gens have you guys faced online?[/quote]

Never played against a Gen online. In fact i bet half the roster has never been picked from ranked matches ive played. Its usually Ken, Ryu, Akuma, Gouken, with the ocasional Balrog, Zangief, Sakura, Cammy, Ehonda, Blanka, Sagat, and Vega.

I am approaching 3000 BP.

I have run across a string of guiles and let me tell you...this guy is tougher to beat for me than any 1 other player. Dont know what it is but when they turtle up it can be damn hard to get into them.

I just barely beat 3 of them just now.

[quote name='amusedtoe']Well that and an EX2 is a pain in the ass to mod.

Was at 8 ranked in a row and took a very cheap loss, never going to get that achievement. On the upshot over 1,000BP as Rose now and gone from about 35% win before I switched to back over 45%.[/quote]

I'm in the same boat. I thought I had won about 6-8 in a row a couple times and I just went into the player records and saw I had 9 straight wins. Ugg...

I just got back up to 900+ BP. Some of you guys have some crazy BP counts going. Nice job.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I am approaching 3000 BP.

I have run across a string of guiles and let me tell you...this guy is tougher to beat for me than any 1 other player. Dont know what it is but when they turtle up it can be damn hard to get into them.

I just barely beat 3 of them just now.[/quote]

I play Guile and I've had fairly good luck (55% win/loss anyway), against the onslaught of Ken/Ryu's.

The great thing about Guile is, even if you mess up your combo or special, you still have a strong regular move. And I've always felt like charge characters force me to be more defensive and I know I play too aggressively.

You know what I just noticed. The Super Moves are the exact same as the Ultra moves, they simply do less damage.

Why didnt they go with the classic setup with them being 2 separate moves? For example Ryu shooting the ultra Hadoken but having a spinning kick (not even going to try to spell it) as his secondary like in other games?

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']I play Guile and I've had fairly good luck (55% win/loss anyway), against the onslaught of Ken/Ryu's.

The great thing about Guile is, even if you mess up your combo or special, you still have a strong regular move. And I've always felt like charge characters force me to be more defensive and I know I play too aggressively.[/quote]

Yeah as a Blanka player its just hard to decide what way to go about fighting him. I usually abandon all of my air attacks because the Flash Kick is simply to strong and seems to take up 1/4 of the screen.

I try to guess the sonic boom and slide under and when that isnt working just do Blanka quick jump in and out to bait them into flash kicks or sonic booms for easy grabs.

Well I've been playing online recently, and I have to say, the 360 controller is quite a hindrance. I can't seem to pull off the moves I want, when I want to. If I want Sagat to throw a fireball, he does an uppercut and vice-versa.

I usually play as Dan online though, so it's fun to know that people are probably upset losing to me.

EDIT: I just beat an Akuma player with Dan. He missed both his ultras, lmao

Just got the game but I got some questions (probably really basic but..)

I keep playing normal on arcade mode and the CPU keeps grabbing me almost the whole round. Is there a way to cancel this while your getting up?

Having problems using the ultra move, when it shows 3 punches, does that mean I have to use all 3 punches or just hit the punch button 3 times?

[quote name='Darkchaos91']Just got the game but I got some questions (probably really basic but..)

I keep playing normal on arcade mode and the CPU keeps grabbing me almost the whole round. Is there a way to cancel this while your getting up?

Having problems using the ultra move, when it shows 3 punches, does that mean I have to use all 3 punches or just hit the punch button 3 times?[/QUOTE]

if its a command grab like Giefs 360 pile driver..cant be canceled. its its a normal throw..just cancel it with your throw. basically just press lp+lk at the same time and press that when they press it. You will cancel it.

Yes, to do an ultra you have to press all three buttons or if your on the 360 controller which im assuming your on? just do the motion and press LB on your controller and your golden.

[quote name='Darkchaos91']Just got the game but I got some questions (probably really basic but..)

Having problems using the ultra move, when it shows 3 punches, does that mean I have to use all 3 punches or just hit the punch button 3 times?[/quote]

Hit all 3 of the punch buttons at the same time.

[quote name='integralsmatic']if its a command grab like Giefs 360 pile driver..cant be canceled. its its a normal throw..just cancel it with your throw. basically just press lp+lk at the same time and press that when they press it. You will cancel it.

Yes, to do an ultra you have to press all three buttons or if your on the 360 controller which im assuming your on? just do the motion and press LB on your controller and your golden.[/quote]

Alright thanks, had no idea you can just press LB. That should make it easier.

Well make that three loses in a row at number 9. On the upshot I'm winning at least 90% now so could be worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Darkchaos91']Alright thanks, had no idea you can just press LB. That should make it easier.[/QUOTE]
no prob ;) yeah remember that for characters with a kick command. its LT.

I hate it when people use ken and use that same gay move. nothing else. and this chart is perfect at explaining that. LOL!!
Street-Fighter-IV-Ken-Ryu-.jpg

Just started playing the game today and I'm horrible at it. Haven't won an XBL match yet with 24 straight losses.

The good thing is that I'm having fun learning how to do moves instead of smashing buttons.

[quote name='bs000']9 in a row then I lost to a guy with 0 BP lol :([/quote]

I always wonder why these people have no BP, and they're really good. Makes me feel like crap when I have like 1k BP lose to someone who's insanely good and lose like 89BP. So much for searching for people equal or better.

Guess at this point the BP's don't mean much anyways.

Also the flow chart is the most accurate I've ever seen. That being said, tier wise, Ken is only a mid level ranked character according to this site.

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/oct/17/street-fighter-4-tiers-character-rankings/

Those rankings are a little old and are from arcade machines but I still think they're somewhat relevant.

That site doesnt seem to make much sense to me but hell they are the experts I guess.

God damn it I am so close to 3k BP but I went on one hell of a loosing streak yesterday. If I had some extra cash I would be getting one of those fight sticks quick because the 360 controller is just hell to play with. 1/4 of the time I am doing things I cant even understand how the game thought I imputed it. Back, Forward, RB = Cowards stance? Whaaaaa?

Bah...ah well.

For the people with no BP... I mean, even really seasoned SF players have no BP when they start, right? Someone has to lose to them first, after all.

As for the tier rankings, they're constantly shifting. It's still too early to have a completely accurate tier list... especially with the addition of the console exclusive characters + rebalancing. Ken's not top tier like he was in III.

[quote name='GuardianE']For the people with no BP... I mean, even really seasoned SF players have no BP when they start, right? Someone has to lose to them first, after all.

As for the tier rankings, they're constantly shifting. It's still too early to have a completely accurate tier list... especially with the addition of the console exclusive characters + rebalancing. Ken's not top tier like he was in III.[/quote]

Yea but the games been out for a while now, most seasoned people have the game by now. They need a better rating system, that's all there is to it.

I'm currently on a mission to beat the game with everyone on normal. Let me tell you that I hate Seth. I'm having real problems with Seth vs Seth. Player Seth takes a shit load of damage from Arcade Seth.

Also played a crazy Blanka today, I didn't know he could be so tricky.

[quote name='will52']Yea but the games been out for a while now, most seasoned people have the game by now. They need a better rating system, that's all there is to it.[/quote]

I really don't think that's true. I think that it'll take a few months before the numbers start to even out. If you're losing to a 0 BP player, then they're on their way up and used you as a stepping stone because they just started playing online. There are plenty of decent players who haven't picked up the game yet.

The rating system is fine. Stronger players will continue to ascend. The only complaints I hear are mostly from people stuck in the below 1000 range. Like I said, once good players keep rising up, the low rankings will be mostly devoid of players like that. It just takes time. But there will always be SOMEone better than you with zero BP at any given time.

If you're talking about the tiers need a better system, well, the system is derived from people playing competitively at tournaments. It takes years before all the tricks are known and the advantages are utilized in a fighting game.

[quote name='imacgod']So what's the verdict on the fightpads?[/quote]

I love my Chun Li fightpad. I mostly play shotos and it works great for them.

I main Ken, and after reading all the anti-Ken hate, and experiencing dozens of Ken spammers myself, I decided to switch it up online. So I tried out Sagat.

I have to agree with people who say that Sagat is broken. With Ken, I had a longest win streak of 6 matches. As soon as I started with Sagat, I racked up 14 wins in a row, then lost a match, then won 19 in a row.

Granted most of those wins were against 0bp players (around 1,500 myself), but it just seems that Sagat does more damage, and has more health, than alot of the other characters.

[quote name='imacgod']So what's the verdict on the fightpads?[/QUOTE]

Worked well when i first got it, hours into playing it broke and i could not do moves from one side anymore. Typical madcatz junk. I would stay away till they fix the problem (beat up the chinese sweat shop workers with bamboo sticks for higher quality control) or wait for a better solution. Believe me, other companys are going to see the demand for these and come up with a nicer controller.

Why didn't they put taunt on the back button? Or atleast make it a option?
Where is Parrying? (I forgot you get that one parry from doing your ultimate technique/two button attack, but still.)
How come some characters only have one super and one ultra move? Am I blind or does Gen have the same when he had, what, 3 supers in Alpha 3?
Why is the guy getting a ultra when his ass is getting beat down?
Why aren't people punished for quitting?
How come the roster is so weak compared to Alpha 3?
V-Ism. X-Ism. A-Ism I miss you so.

SFIV is really great game, probably my third favorite SF game right now behind Alpha 3 and Third Strike (which would be the ultimate SF if it wasn't for the weak roster) but these are the things that hold it down for me. If Capcom delayed the game and put those things (atleast Parrying and the ISMs as a option) imho we would have had the ultimate Street Fighting game.

Can someone please pwn me seriously so I can forget all of this?

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Why didn't they put taunt on the back button? Or atleast make it a option?
Where is Parrying? (I forgot you get that one parry from doing your ultimate technique/two button attack, but still.)
How come some characters only have one super and one ultra move? Am I blind or does Gen have the same when he had, what, 3 supers in Alpha 3?
Why is the guy getting a ultra when his ass is getting beat down?
Why aren't people punished for quitting?
How come the roster is so weak compared to Alpha 3?
V-Ism. X-Ism. A-Ism I miss you so.
[/quote]

What's wrong with pressing HP+HK for taunt? I don't get it. That way, you don't have to take your hands/fingers away from the attack buttons.

Focus attacks are the new parry and carry a lot of depth, just not a lot of technical skill (aside from FADC).

I do wish there were more Supers/Ultras.

Because the Ultra is akin to the K-Groove in CvS2. Your opponent gets more dangerous and angry as he gets beat... in theory anyway. Focus absorbing/guarding builds Rage meter too. Capcom wanted a way for players to "bounce back" in a matchup, but not make it incredibly easy to connect with (they made it so that an Ultra will not connect with normal chains/cancels). The Super meter is still as versatile as it was in III.

People should get punished for quitting.

Alpha 3 had a beastly roster... a bit too beastly with many throwaway characters. Many of those were reused sprites too, easier to intergrate into the game. 34 (alpha3) vs. 25 (sf4). But seriously, how many fighting games out there have 34 characters now? I do love me some Alpha 3, though.

V-isms were considered to be pretty broken for a time. In competitive play, there was no reason to choose anything other than a V-ism, which left A-ism and X-ism as pretty worthless, though fun.

[quote name='GuardianE']I really don't think that's true. I think that it'll take a few months before the numbers start to even out. If you're losing to a 0 BP player, then they're on their way up and used you as a stepping stone because they just started playing online. There are plenty of decent players who haven't picked up the game yet.

The rating system is fine. Stronger players will continue to ascend. The only complaints I hear are mostly from people stuck in the below 1000 range. Like I said, once good players keep rising up, the low rankings will be mostly devoid of players like that. It just takes time. But there will always be SOMEone better than you with zero BP at any given time.

If you're talking about the tiers need a better system, well, the system is derived from people playing competitively at tournaments. It takes years before all the tricks are known and the advantages are utilized in a fighting game.[/quote]

I agree somewhat, but my issue with it is that I have played 250+ ranked games and no matter what I changed my search settings to, I almost never get people above 100BP, usually they are about 50BP. Literally I have played 5 people in the 500-1500BP range, which were equal to me.

So statistically that means that about 98% of people are less than 100BP?
I think not. The BPs gotta be going somewhere.

I admit I'm not the best player (although I don't use Ryu or Ken and I have a 15 ranked streak with randoms) but I'm not a scrub either. I also realize that the people that are top ranked, pretty much havent slept since the game came out to get where they are. It just bothers me to slowly build up my BPs only to have 2 matches (89BP+) worth taken away from me because some 'great' player is using me as a stepping stone apparently. Yet if I was to beat them, I would get almost nothing and there is no way for me to frequently get equal ranked players. Not a huge fan of risk alot to gain very little.

This all being said, at this point BPs mean little to nothing.

/rant

Point taken. But I do have some issues (maybe It's the 360 controller? I don't own a fightpad yet because of the stupid eBay scalpers atm) hitting them at the same time I end up getting a taunt half the time, and I leave my left triggers for PPP and KKK obviously.

I guess I prefer the technical skill though Focus attacks are way awesome I'll admit.

V-isms might have been broken but if It's a option like parrying is it wouldn't ruin the game.

[quote name='will52']I always wonder why these people have no BP, and they're really good. Makes me feel like crap when I have like 1k BP lose to someone who's insanely good and lose like 89BP. So much for searching for people equal or better.

Guess at this point the BP's don't mean much anyways.

Also the flow chart is the most accurate I've ever seen. That being said, tier wise, Ken is only a mid level ranked character according to this site.

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/oct/17/street-fighter-4-tiers-character-rankings/

Those rankings are a little old and are from arcade machines but I still think they're somewhat relevant.[/QUOTE]

wow i never knew Honda was low tier. Ive been winning with him but i guess its how you play and not what tier the character is.

man i wish i could play C.Viper like Kensou. He is really sick

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDJdBaKBZCo[/media]

I had originally wanted to make C. Viper my main - but I just couldn't get her timing down and had to give it up. She is a tough one to play! its great to see those who can

bread's done
Back