Study Finds High-Fructose Corn Syrup Contains Mercury

Hopefully something will happen with this. Probably not, but there's not doubt that HFCS is one of many things linked to higher obesity rates.

Is everyone else as annoyed by the ads as I am?

"Our chemically created synthetic bullshit is just as good for you as natural sugar."

fuck off. One bottle of Mexican Coke is all the proof I need to shoot that stupid argument down.

Not to mention all the people in them sound like douchebags, especially the "big brother" one. To say nothing of the retarded notion that there are people sitting around having this discussion, and one person just happens to suddenly know a lot of shit about it and can TELL YOU THE WEBSITE TO CHECK OUT.

One person on Digg.com (I think) said "you can't have it in moderation when it's in EVERYTHING we eat."

Which is surprisingly poignant and scary.

Well, you can avoid it completely if you're able to pay more and shop at Whole Foods all the time or something. But especially with the recession, I imagine that would be difficult for many.

Just cutting back on soda could make a big difference for a lot of people. (That doesn't mean switch to diet!)

I'm also annoyed whenever I see those new commercials talking about how we shouldn't be worried about hfcs. No amount of that junk is good for someone. It's why my family always checks what ingredients the food we buy has, and if there is hfcs, we avoid it.

[quote name='Strell']

fuck off. One bottle of Mexican Coke is all the proof I need to shoot that stupid argument down.
.[/QUOTE]

no doubt, mexican coke ftw, i always buy it when i can. its sad that lobbyists have single handidly created a health epidemic.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']no doubt, mexican coke ftw, i always buy it when i can. its sad that lobbyists have single handidly created a health epidemic.[/QUOTE]
They couldn't have done it without our friends in the government. ;)

Ugh. Jeez when I think of how much soda I've consumed before with HFCS. shudders.

Well everything...aw fuck. I'm going to have to check the Tomato Sauce too. -_-

Do we have to bring this stuff to a Poison Control Center in case? I imagine dumping it down the sink wouldn't be wise.

Read the label on Mexican Coke. Now what it says is sugar OR High Fructose Corn Syrup.

[quote name='freakyzeeky']The taco truck down the street from my house sells Mexican Cola-Cola... convenient Mexican Coke ftw :)[/QUOTE]
Oh, it's Mexican all right...but are you sure it's Coke?

:D

[quote name='Strell']Is everyone else as annoyed by the ads as I am?

"Our chemically created synthetic bullshit is just as good for you as natural sugar."

[/quote]

I was suprised by those ads when I first saw them as well... I'm always read that HFCS is not good, so I try to avoid eating stuff with it, but sometimes it's hard, because it is in almost everything I eat. :(

[quote name='rickonker']Oh, it's Mexican all right...but are you sure it's Coke?

:D[/quote]

Sure am. :)
It has 'Coca Cola' printed right on the glass bottle. It's also says 'Hecho in Mexico', and uses Cane Sugar instead of HFCS. ;)

[quote name='Strell']Is everyone else as annoyed by the ads as I am?

Not to mention all the people in them sound like douchebags, especially the "big brother" one. To say nothing of the retarded notion that there are people sitting around having this discussion, and one person just happens to suddenly know a lot of shit about it and can TELL YOU THE WEBSITE TO CHECK OUT.[/quote]

Sugar in general is bad for you, whether it is cane sugar, beet sugar, of high fructose corn syrup. You do realize that "natural sugar" is sucrose, which is simply a disaccharide composed of glucose and fructose. It gets cleaved into your intestine into these two compounds. HFCS contains mainly monosaccharides: fructose, glucose, etc.

Limiting sugar intake in general is a good idea...

[quote name='rickonker']
Just cutting back on soda could make a big difference for a lot of people. (That doesn't mean switch to diet!)[/QUOTE]
Why not? You goona lecture us about aspartame?

[quote name='VipFREAK']I don't drink soda so I'm good.[/QUOTE]
You are probably one of those people that only drinks $3.99 organic juice and Fiji water (shudder).

------

For the record, I drove through Texas about 3 years ago helping my sister move to Houston and I stopped at this gas station out in the middle of nowhere in West Texas to wet my lips. They had this Dr Pepper that had a big sign on the label "made with pure cane sugar". Needless to say, it was a religious experience I've been unable to find again.

Oh and I don't why exactly, but the colas in Europe suck ass.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Why not? You goona lecture us about aspartame?

You are probably one of those people that only drinks $3.99 organic juice and Fiji water (shudder).

------

For the record, I drove through Texas about 3 years ago helping my sister move to Houston and I stopped at this gas station out in the middle of nowhere in West Texas to wet my lips. They had this Dr Pepper that had a big sign on the label "made with pure cane sugar". Needless to say, it was a religious experience I've been unable to find again.

Oh and I don't why exactly, but the colas in Europe suck ass.[/QUOTE]

Why the hostile attitude?

[quote name='thrustbucket']
You are probably one of those people that only drinks $3.99 organic juice and Fiji water (shudder).[/quote]

Sorry to disappoint you, but I only drink water ( well... ok filtered water. :sigh: ), Liquor, Wine, and if I have to Beer. Nice try though...

[quote name='BigT']Sugar in general is bad for you, whether it is cane sugar, beet sugar, of high fructose corn syrup. You do realize that "natural sugar" is sucrose, which is simply a disaccharide composed of glucose and fructose. It gets cleaved into your intestine into these two compounds. HFCS contains mainly monosaccharides: fructose, glucose, etc.

Limiting sugar intake in general is a good idea...[/quote]

Pfft. Like I'm going to take medical advice from a doctor. The farm lobbyists say everything is OK. I believe them because they make more (taxpayer) money than you.

Oh come on. Natural sugar from fruit can not be that bad. I understand if someone would eat like 12 apples in a day, a pineapple, a bunch of grapes, a few oranges, some bananas..etc..yeah

[quote name='rickonker']Why the hostile attitude?[/QUOTE]
I was teasing.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Sorry to disappoint you, but I only drink water ( well... ok filtered water. :sigh: ), Liquor, Wine, and if I have to Beer. Nice try though...[/QUOTE]
Fine, your better than us, happy?

[quote name='lilboo']Oh come on. Natural sugar from fruit can not be that bad. I understand if someone would eat like 12 apples in a day, a pineapple, a bunch of grapes, a few oranges, some bananas..etc..yeah[/QUOTE]
I agree.

I always read that for people who have sweet tooths (sweet teeth? :lol) that they should cut out all sugar (brownies, cakes, cupcakes, candy) and replace with fruit since the natural sugar is actually digestible.

But this is about HFCS. :lol: I get most of my food from Whole Foods so I'm good. When I don't, I do check labels. If it DOES contain it, I make sure it's one of the last few ingredients on the list.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Why not? You goona lecture us about aspartame?

------

Oh and I don't why exactly, but the colas in Europe suck ass.[/quote]
I don't drink soda except on rare occasions either-usually drink filtered water, and when that's not available, the tap is fine.

Oh, and the Dr.Pepper you're referring to is "Dublin Dr. Pepper". It's made in Dublin, TX. And it is fucking awesome. I had some in Ft. Worth when I was visiting my brother. It's the only soda he'll drink.

Back on topic, if they make advertisements telling you that it's good for you (or not terribly bad for you), it probably isn't. General rule of thumb.

I try to limit aspartame. If it causes cancer in lab rats it can't be the best thing to intake in large quantities. So I limit myself to one diet soda a day (usually Diet Dr. Pepper, sometimes Coke Zero).

I don't really care if people take care of themselves--they can eat what they want. We just need to reform systems so those of us who do take care of ourselves aren't paying higher premiums to subsidize the insurance of the unhealthy, having half our airplane seats taken up by the fat ass that didn't pay for two seats etc.

If you don't take care of yourself, pay the price yourself.

[quote name='rickonker']Just cutting back on soda could make a big difference for a lot of people. (That doesn't mean switch to diet!)[/quote]

I drink alot of diet soda and I've yet to run into someone who can give me conclusive proof why it is bad. I always get some vague response like "it's made of chemicals!"

[quote name='camoor']I drink alot of diet soda and I've yet to run into someone who can give me conclusive proof why it is bad. I always get some vague response like "it's made of chemicals!"[/QUOTE]

I am of the same opinion. The best argument I have heard so far is too much sodium. But even that is arguable.

[quote name='camoor']I drink alot of diet soda and I've yet to run into someone who can give me conclusive proof why it is bad. I always get some vague response like "it's made of chemicals!"[/QUOTE]

For me it's just:

1. Aspartame has been shown to cause cancer in lab rats, so that doesn't sound like something I want a ton of.

2. I try to avoid chemicals, coloring etc. and eat natural food as much as I can.

3. I try to limit caffeine intake in general.

That said, I'd never nag someone for drinking diet soda, that's just the reason I limit to one a day.

[quote name='The Crotch']Don't drink the stuff myself, so... how many bottles of Canadian coke for your PS3 there, Myke?[/QUOTE]

Three bottles. And my own Tim Horton's Franchise. You have enough to give 'em away, right?

And perhaps a crash course in the metric system and French.

And an autographed copy of "Strange Brew."

Y'know, I hate to do this, but I have to credit Rachel Ray for bringing Mexican Coke to my attention. She was really the first person to hammer home how fantastic it is (and why). Now, it doesn't make up for being a whore who will advertise any product you have, no matter how bad it is ("I'm Rachel Ray, and when I'm in a hurry, I eat flapjacks - on a STICK!"). Or that she brought the phrase "EEE-VEE-OH-OH" to the American lexicon. But, you know, she gets some credit.

Corn subsidies are interesting, and probably should go the hell away. Produce prices are much higher on average (as someone who buys a good bit of fresh and frozen produce each week, I've fuckin' noticed). Gas costs going up is one thing, but the subsidies, and the promise of the E-85 future, led to corn being produced in numbers to the detriment of other veggies. Fewer veggies of other types means, as you know, more 'spensive veggies of other types. $1 bags of frozen veggies (16-24oz, usually) are now $1.38-$1.66. Meanwhile, $1 microwave pizzas are still $1.

EDIT: I've heard that a study suggests that your body can treat diet soda like a regular soda if it's accustomed to processing the latter. It treats the diet as a working placebo, then. But I dunno. It seems plausible, but it also seems impossible (can't cheat caloric content and the actual makeup of foods, y'know?). Either way, I work out enough, so while I don't watch what I consume, I do. If that makes sense.

I've heard a lot of things about sodas (normal and diet). Regardless of sugar or sodium or aspartame, the one thing that bothered me was the amount of acid in it. It's really acidic and can like rot your teeth and fuck up your digestion. Again, I take these things lightly so who knows.

I can't imagine one can of diet being bad.

The one thing I have heard about diet soda and I actually believe: When the aspartame (or other artificial sweeteners) hit your tongue.. it prepares for something sweet. It prepares your body that it's going to use these calories..and you never get the actual sugar or calories. Because of this, it can cause your blood sugar levels to get goofy and then cause cravings---thus, a binge eating occurs.

:(

Myke about the Mexican Coke. Unless there's a con going on now by Coke to get Americans to buy Coke with HFCS with a Mexican label I've seen Mexican Coke that specifically says "High Fructose Corn Syrup and/or Sugar" so take that for what it's worth.
I swear even in soda you can at times if not at all times taste the difference between if it has HFCS or Cane Sugar. HFCS tend to have a more syrupy taste in it, that's the best way I can describe it. The sugar one's just taste a bit more natural in my opinion or at least I prefer them.
I have issues with Aspartame because of the Formaldahyde bit as well as what it chemically is to begin with. Aspartame is just a combination of Amino Acids that happen to taste sweet. I don't know about you but compared to Saccarine and Aspartame I'll take the former. Too much can go wrong with having such similar if not identical chemical keys to the human body with Aspartame. I'm afraid it could so easily make certain systems go haywire much easier. If you really want to hear some of the problems about Aspartame watch "Sweet Misery". Rumsfeld was part of R.J. Searle at the time and ramrodded it through the FDA.
Phenylalinine(I might have spelled it wrong) you'll see in yogurts and other things including regular Dr.Pepper(I think here) which is either a derivative or synonym for Aspartame because in my opinion they taste VERY similar.
I also don't see the problem about using sugar and making your own desserts as long as it's ORGANIC sugar and not Genetically Modified Beet Sugar(It's happening now, don't buy Domino). I'll admit I get soda's from Whole Foods which uses Cane Sugar which has never been genetically modified(I plan to check on this). Also I occasionally have a Virgil's Root Beer.
One thing I will say on an off note is that you can definitely taste a difference in Cola's with Cola nut and without. I don't think Coke has had it for a while and I don't think Pepsi has it either.

There is a sunflower market (hippie store, as I call it) that opened a block from me. I have started buying this brand of soda called Blue Sky, anyone else ever tried it? It tastes really good and has all the natural/organic/healthy labeling shit to give a Berkley granola an orgasm and keep the price high. But when it's on sale, I stock up.

[quote name='mykevermin']Three bottles. And my own Tim Horton's Franchise. You have enough to give 'em away, right?

And perhaps a crash course in the metric system and French.

And an autographed copy of "Strange Brew."
[/quote]Alright, I'll need your address, then. The government provides every citizen with its own Timmy's, so that's no problem (hope you like Iqaluit). The metric system and French courses can start any time you want.

Strange Brew... that will cause some difficulties. I've got Rick Moranis locked up in the storage room, though, so I'll see what I can do.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Fine, your better than us, happy?[/quote]

I suppose although I wondering who stuck a stick up you're ass...?

Id bitch about this but I think the fact that I take in so much mercury from sushi weekly negates my right to bitch. Heh in all seriousness though it is sad that HFCS is allowed in everything we eat. Obama being a health nut could give a person some hope that he would do something about it, but then you look at him talking about American corn as a bio fuel and realize even he has the farmers of America's cock lodged deep in his throat.

[quote name='thrustbucket']There is a sunflower market (hippie store, as I call it) that opened a block from me. I have started buying this brand of soda called Blue Sky, anyone else ever tried it? It tastes really good and has all the natural/organic/healthy labeling shit to give a Berkley granola an orgasm and keep the price high. But when it's on sale, I stock up.[/quote]
Blue Sky is pretty good, I love their Raspberry soda.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I don't drink soda so I'm good.[/quote]
HFCS is in everything, not just soda.

I love fish and I eat tuna pretty often, so the more mercury I can get the better!

[quote name='yukine']HFCS is in everything, not just soda.[/quote]

I bet soda is the easiest as well as the most concentrated way to get it though.

[quote name='Koggit']Without sugar tariffs my dad would be out of a job.. all of my home town would be out of jobs[/QUOTE]
And? I think I know what you're getting at but I want to be sure.

Well played..

re: rick, there's a side to this many are too detached from to really see. That's all my point was. It's easy to sit in the city and say "yeah, get rid of those tariffs, just let the mexicans farm that cheap cane" but the fact is that's unrealistic, we can't do it that easily. Not without relocation and retraining subsidies to help those displaced farmers. Then, it's sort of just stoking the flames of the whole problem with agriculture globalization, which has enormous impacts both environmental and in global health. It's not as cut-and-dry an issue as it seems at first glance. There are both good and bad aspects of the tariff (and ag tariffs in general), but overall I'd say I lean somewhat anti-tariff. Somewhat. Both sides of the argument are quite solid.

bread's done
Back