Suikoden V thread - Post your impressions, reviews and etc here!

I tried Jubei's
Who the hell is Jubei?

I liked III. No, it wasn't as good as I, II or V, but it was still better than most RPGs. Storywise that is. That's what I play RPGs for.

Obviously he should play I and II first, but from the way he asked I don't think he'll be acquiring them unless those PSP games come to the US.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Who the hell is Jubei?

I liked III. No, it wasn't as good as I, II or V, but it was still better than most RPGs. Storywise that is. That's what I play RPGs for.

Obviously he should play I and II first, but from the way he asked I don't think he'll be acquiring them unless those PSP games come to the US.[/QUOTE]

Geddoe maybe? I dunno, whoever that damn guy with the eye patch was.

unfortunate...cant find this game anywhere (eb, gamestop, target) :(

i wanna drive up to best buy, but their website says it wont come out until 3/29...which makes me wonder if the stores got it...

[quote name='blackjaw']unfortunate...cant find this game anywhere (eb, gamestop, target) :(

i wanna drive up to best buy, but their website says it wont come out until 3/29...which makes me wonder if the stores got it...[/QUOTE]

I saw it in stock at Best Buy today.

[quote name='Roufuss']I saw it in stock at Best Buy today.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, after I posted that I was like "wtf...im just gonna go up there"...and go figure, it was there.

Im gonna pop that bad buy in tonite to de-virginize my new ps2 slim (frekin roommate stepped on my other one..idiot).

There are a couple of good characters in IV if you ask me. I loved Kika and there were maybe two or three more I liked. But on a whole it was a weak cast.

I finally picked it up, and though things are slow right now, I'm enjoying it. I can't put my finger on it, but it *feels* like a Suikoden game, something I felt 3 didn't quite capture.

Obviously without spoilers (I just got to the Stadium that hold the Sacred Games, so I'm not that far in), is there anything I should know about doing to get a "best" ending? Kind of like in 2, when you had to recruit everyone by a certain point and then jump in front of Nanami?

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Who the hell is Jubei?

Obviously he should play I and II first, but from the way he asked I don't think he'll be acquiring them unless those PSP games come to the US.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm not going to be playing I or II any time soon. I mean, sure, I could probably track down copies and pay not too much for them due to my CAG training, but it simply isn't worth it as I have a huge stack of PS2 and GC games to play right now. If they come out for PSP then I will definitely pick them up. So it looks like I might just start on V, then go back to III. However, I decided last night to crack open Grandia III, so I'm playing that instead of any Suikoden for the time being :lol:.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']I finally picked it up, and though things are slow right now, I'm enjoying it. I can't put my finger on it, but it *feels* like a Suikoden game, something I felt 3 didn't quite capture.

Obviously without spoilers (I just got to the Stadium that hold the Sacred Games, so I'm not that far in), is there anything I should know about doing to get a "best" ending? Kind of like in 2, when you had to recruit everyone by a certain point and then jump in front of Nanami?[/QUOTE]

As far I know, there isn't. But to get the best ending you have to get all 108 SoD. There are several that have small time frames to recuit, like when you had to recruit Leon Silverberg in Suikoden I.

There is a point where you can see the worst ending, very earlier in the game. Before a certian major battle someone will ask you if you want to become king. If you say "yes." then that's the end. Just a heads up.

What's your guys favorite character so far? My favorite so far is Zweig, just cause he looks like me.

My favorite character is definitely Lucretia. I always like the strategists, but we haven't had a really good one since Shu in II. Lucretia is excellent, and I think she could give the Silverberg family a run for their money.

Quick question: the only game in the series that I've played is III, and its battle system where you can only control half the party you bring into battle at one time put me off the series from then on. Does this one still have that tomfoolery, or if I take 6 people into battle, can I have 6 different commands per turn?

[quote name='jmcc']Quick question: the only game in the series that I've played is III, and its battle system where you can only control half the party you bring into battle at one time put me off the series from then on. Does this one still have that tomfoolery, or if I take 6 people into battle, can I have 6 different commands per turn?[/QUOTE]

Can use all 6 members.

I personally think Suikoden V has the best battle system of the series. The only draw back is the load time, so getting in and out of battles takes a bit of time.

Having four extra slots for reserves is awsome. When you have to drag someone along for a story event and know their stats suck, you can just dump em' in the reserves and continue on.

does this game get any better after the first 2 hours.... i played it last night for 90 mins and its more like Reading a freaking book then playing a video game..... 90 mins into the game and your not even into the Battle part of the game... i expect this game to fall very quickly in price almost 2 hours into the game and your still not really into the game but just READING AND MORE READING AND MORE READING if i wanted to read this much i would of got a book instead of a video game

[quote name='slidecage']does this game get any better after the first 2 hours.... i played it last night for 90 mins and its more like Reading a freaking book then playing a video game..... 90 mins into the game and your not even into the Battle part of the game... i expect this game to fall very quickly in price almost 2 hours into the game and your still not really into the game but just READING AND MORE READING AND MORE READING if i wanted to read this much i would of got a book instead of a video game[/QUOTE]

It's an RPG, they all tend to start slow. It gets better for sure.

[quote name='greendj27']It's an RPG, they all tend to start slow. It gets better for sure.[/QUOTE]

i have played plenty of rpgs that didnt start this slow and was this freaking boring..... i got it from blockbuster and was hoping to keep renting it till i beat it, BUT it seems it will be going back after the first rental period (goes back next monday)

very boring game .. would rather have dragon quest 8 before this

[quote name='slidecage']i have played plenty of rpgs that didnt start this slow and was this freaking boring..... i got it from blockbuster and was hoping to keep renting it till i beat it, BUT it seems it will be going back after the first rental period (goes back next monday)

very boring game .. would rather have dragon quest 8 before this[/QUOTE]

It does get better, I can tell you that. I remember thinking the same thing. I guess this does start slower than most but I like the story so far.

[quote name='slidecage']i have played plenty of rpgs that didnt start this slow and was this freaking boring..... i got it from blockbuster and was hoping to keep renting it till i beat it, BUT it seems it will be going back after the first rental period (goes back next monday)

very boring game .. would rather have dragon quest 8 before this[/quote]
Seems to me in just about every new rpg thread you are always bitching about something. The first 6-8 hours has more plot than all of Suikoden IV. Calm down and take your ADD medication.

If you've read the thread or did any research you'll know that the first 10 hours are very slow. Most RPGs do start out slow, but this one takes the cake, I know.

I was falling asleep at start too, but if you stick with it, Suikoden V does get better. If you don't want to stick with it, then....... who cares?

[quote name='Msia']Seems to me in just about every new rpg thread you are always bitching about something. The first 6-8 hours has more plot than all of Suikoden IV. Calm down and take your ADD medication.[/QUOTE]

true cause there really hasnt been a truely great RPG in years..

last few rpg games i found i like

Dragon quest 8 -- though the random battles are insane

disgaea --- loved this game put over 150 hours into it only rpg game i ever did put that much time into it

newer rpg games hated

this one...
Shadow hearts 3 --- too many random encounters
tales of ??? the ps 2 game
sulk tatics --- never liked it

guess i got to wait till AUG when disgaea 2 comes out and hope it ROCKS

[quote name='slidecage']true cause there really hasnt been a truely great RPG in years..

last few rpg games i found i like

Dragon quest 8 -- though the random battles are insane

disgaea --- loved this game put over 150 hours into it only rpg game i ever did put that much time into it

newer rpg games hated

this one...
Shadow hearts 3 --- too many random encounters
tales of ??? the ps 2 game
sulk tatics --- never liked it

guess i got to wait till AUG when disgaea 2 comes out and hope it ROCKS[/QUOTE]

So you've played an 80 hour game for 2 hours and don't like....it must be shitty!

[quote name='greendj27']So you've played an 80 hour game for 2 hours and don't like....it must be shitty![/quote]
srsly go play Halo 2 and stfu.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']If you've read the thread or did any research you'll know that the first 10 hours are very slow. Most RPGs do start out slow, but this one takes the cake, I know.

I was falling asleep at start too, but if you stick with it, Suikoden V does get better. If you don't want to stick with it, then....... who cares?[/QUOTE]

I'm about 15 hours in, and I have to say, I don't see what everyone was complaining about in the start of the game. I really like how much time they took to set things up; if anything, it's made the part of the game I'm at feel slower, since I'm doing random battles on a regular basis now.

The entire reason I got into RPGs was plot and characters, and so far this game delivers.

[quote name='Msia']Seems to me in just about every new rpg thread you are always bitching about something. The first 6-8 hours has more plot than all of Suikoden IV. Calm down and take your ADD medication.[/QUOTE]

Not only that, but he makes the most generic comments about it... sometimes I wonder if he even plays these games.

the first 6 hours are all reading and backstory and setting up characters and stuff

right at 6 you start getting to explore and fight for real and what not

then at 8 the story REALLY picks up

moral of this post...just keep going...it gets really really good

since blockbuster dont give the books with the game

Is there anyway to change the camera.... some stuff looks hidden and might miss some paths..

80 hours???? i read over on another site this game was 20-30 hours long unless you do all the side quest then its longer..

[quote name='Roufuss']Not only that, but he makes the most generic comments about it... sometimes I wonder if he even plays these games.[/quote]
Good point. CAG will be a much better place the day he is banned.

[quote name='Msia']Good point. CAG will be a much better place the day he is banned.[/QUOTE]

Now, now, I think we all "enjoy" slidecage's posts - wouldn't want to see him banned :D.

OK, so I haven't played Suik V yet (or ANY Suikoden for that matter) but I have been playing Grandia III (just into second disc). And recently I've played Radiata, Tales of Symphonia, and DragonQuest VIII. I liked all of those games for various reasons, but DQ VIII is probably my favorite. How does Suikoden V (which I have sitting here and might play after Grandia III) match up to the rest of those? Like I said I know nothing about Suikoden. In particular, how do the battle systems compare? I like the battle engines in BOTH DQ 8 and Grandia III - I don't prefer one over the other, as I think they require different types of strategy.

I take it Suikoden V has a little more going for it in terms of side quests and optional portions than Grandia III, though, which is very linear. I don't mind that so much occasionally - it would be nice NOT to spend 80+ hours on an RPG for once :D. Radiata was only 20-30 hours and I even spent time getting all the non-human characters recruited.

i feel suikoden 5 is a nice change of pace from DQ8 (which i just beat last month)

the battles are faster paced with more options (ie runes, tactical battles, 1on1's, 60ish playable characters with their own fighting styles, and team attacks)

i personally feel the story in Suikoden 5 is probably one of the best in an rpg ive seen in the past few years...its riveting, twisty, and makes me want to play to see what happens next

i havent even gotten to the castle building part yet (i think its coming up in the next 30minutes to an hour) but that part is great...recruiting people to build your castle up, add mini-games, and beef up your army for tactical battles

i havent had a chance to play grandia 3 yet, probably wait for a price drop, but compared to DQ8, i think you will be very pleased with the 'modern' change of pace and the STORY

as for slidecage, i think we are all waiting for the day he learns english

[quote name='blackjaw']as for slidecage, i think we are all waiting for the day he learns english[/QUOTE]

Not to defend him, but perhaps you should use some punctuation in a post where you say something like that. Just a thought.

Other than that, I agree with everything you said. It's nice to see the faster-paced battles of the first two games return. I, too, beat DQVIII a little over a month ago, and it's definitely nice to have faster battles (although I really enjoyed how every battle in DQVIII could kill you if you didn't think about what you were doing). And the story is certainly better than DQVIII, though I think DQVIII has some of the best characterization I've ever seen.

[quote name='slidecage']
80 hours???? i read over on another site this game was 20-30 hours long unless you do all the side quest then its longer..[/QUOTE]
I'm already over 30, and I've barely done any side quests except some SoD recruiting. So whoever said that was lying.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']Not to defend him, but perhaps you should use some punctuation in a post where you say something like that. Just a thought.

Other than that, I agree with everything you said. It's nice to see the faster-paced battles of the first two games return. I, too, beat DQVIII a little over a month ago, and it's definitely nice to have faster battles (although I really enjoyed how every battle in DQVIII could kill you if you didn't think about what you were doing). And the story is certainly better than DQVIII, though I think DQVIII has some of the best characterization I've ever seen.[/QUOTE]

haha...its the internet...grammer and punctuation dont bother me anymore...proper use of the english language/spelling (or in slidecage's case: a complete BUTCHERING of the english language) get to me

maybe im just getting old, but when i read a post on a MB i like to know what the hell its all about without having to decipher it

and i agree with you, DQ8 had some of the most memorable (and loveable) characters in an RPG to date

Im in the last dungeon at 55 hours with all the stars. It's going to take me at least another 5 to get where I need to be to finish this game.

Instead of bitch'n about a guy who doesn't like the game lets get back on track. I thought this thread was for people who actually enjoy playing RPGs.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Instead of bitch'n about a guy who doesn't like the game lets get back on track. I thought this thread was for people who actually enjoy playing RPGs.[/QUOTE]

Technically, the thread title wants people's impressions and reviews so he's doing exactly that. Just his opinion doesn't jive with anyone else in this thread.

[quote name='Ecofreak']Technically, the thread title wants people's impressions and reviews so he's doing exactly that. Just his opinion doesn't jive with anyone else in this thread.[/QUOTE]

Wow, your right, I'm a moron. Who cares.....

anyone think the guide is worth it? I'm gonna start playing this after KH2 and the guides are becoming scarce, I've only seen them at a few places

[quote name='jer7583']anyone think the guide is worth it? I'm gonna start playing this after KH2 and the guides are becoming scarce, I've only seen them at a few places[/QUOTE]

If you like lots of artwork, then yea.

I haven't even played the game yet (its up next after KH 2) but I love the artwork for it... I have the guide, artbook, AND art cell.

am about 6 hours into it

just getting into where they hold the games to marry off the princess

will say this

I liked hour 3- now 100000x more then Hour 1-3

starting to get into the game now

[quote name='Roufuss']If you like lots of artwork, then yea.

I haven't even played the game yet (its up next after KH 2) but I love the artwork for it... I have the guide, artbook, AND art cell.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I got the art cell and the art book/CD. Very well done bonuses.. I think i'll pick up the guide sometime since i saw gamecrazy where i bought the game has them now, and they offered me 20% off since they didn't have them before.

I just heard EGM gave it a 6.5. Now I don't care about scoring, but what did they actually wrote about it? Does anyone know?

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']I just heard EGM gave it a 6.5. Now I don't care about scoring, but what did they actually wrote about it? Does anyone know?[/QUOTE]

i would give it around the same maybe a 7... nothing really new

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']I just heard EGM gave it a 6.5. Now I don't care about scoring, but what did they actually wrote about it? Does anyone know?[/quote]
Im not sure but OPM gave it a 3/5. Ziff-Davis can go to hell.

[quote name='slidecage']i would give it around the same maybe a 7... nothing really new[/QUOTE]

Now you're grading games after 3 hours?

That's like reading the first page of a book and saying it sucks.

[quote name='greendj27']Now you're grading games after 3 hours?

That's like reading the first page of a book and saying it sucks.[/QUOTE]

haha pwned

i would have to give the game an 8.5/10 right now...maybe a 9 for the fact that it is probably just slightly better than any other suikoden game in the past 4 years...i think the load time in and out of battles drops it .5 points for me...after a while you dont notice, then play somethign else and you will see it right away...ugh

im about to "save" lordlake...guess i get a castle soon and start recruiting

[quote name='greendj27']Now you're grading games after 3 hours?

That's like reading the first page of a book and saying it sucks.[/QUOTE]

up to around 7 hours now ...... what i play so far its like Part 1 and 2... nothing really ground breaking

im starting to like it even though some parts are plain stupid

like the scared games... you already know who put the sleeping stuff to the person before they even admit it ....

3 hours into it i would probally only gave it a 2-3

i figure if i play an hour a day i have it beat by say Aug 2006 LOL

this is maybe what i really dont like RPGS anymore if im lucky i can only play around 1 MAYBE 2 hours per day now ... thanks to school. work and other stuff i need to do

I remember playing Vandel hearts 1 for 12 hours in a row once and loved that game

same with FF 7

bread's done
Back