Suikoden V thread - Post your impressions, reviews and etc here!

[quote name='Chacrana']Finally got around to this game... I'm at the part where
Godwin has some assassains enter Sol Falena castle
and I'm pretty underwhelmed at this point... does the game get better and turn into something truly amazing, or is it like this (or maybe just a little better) for the remainder of the game? The story's good and all, but the actual gameplay is just so unremarkable... and the complete lack of any challenge whatsoever is kind of stupid especially given all the customization options available...[/QUOTE]

This is why I quit and sold it around 25 hours in...

The "gameplay", if you can even call it that, became more of a chore than anything.

I meant that Childerich was the Luca equvilant. If he had more scenes (and not that supid get up) he mightve reached Luca status. That final Luca fight in the forest was pretty cool though and will be very hard to top.

Considering that this game is going for $59 minimum on Amazon, half, and Ebay, I snatched it up for $27.99 at Gamefly. Can't wait to play it!

[quote name='boyward']Considering that this game is going for $59 minimum on Amazon, half, and Ebay, I snatched it up for $27.99 at Gamefly. Can't wait to play it![/QUOTE]

Whaa?? A quick search of completed auctions shows that while not many have been sold (only 3 sealed ones in the past month), the closing prices for new copies are around $30 - and this is pre-Christmas pricing too. "Like New" are running $20-$30.

Examples:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Suikoden-V-Sony...ryZ62053QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$38 with the strategy guide included:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SUIKODEN-V-Play...ryZ62053QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"Like New":
http://cgi.ebay.com/Suikoden-V-For-...ryZ62053QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Interestingly enough, there doesn't seem to be a single copy for sale on eBay right now that is "new" or "like new". There's one in a lot with III and Tactics, and that's it. Very strange. There's two available via an ebay store but both are non-US sellers.

[quote name='io']Whaa?? A quick search of completed auctions shows that while not many have been sold (only 3 sealed ones in the past month), the closing prices for new copies are around $30 - and this is pre-Christmas pricing too. "Like New" are running $20-$30.

Examples:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Suikoden-V-Sony...ryZ62053QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$38 with the strategy guide included:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SUIKODEN-V-Play...ryZ62053QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"Like New":
http://cgi.ebay.com/Suikoden-V-For-...ryZ62053QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/QUOTE]

Oops. Well... yeah. :oops: I think I must have checked Amazon and Half, but stopped short of checking on eBay. Regardless, I'm looking forward to playing this. I ordered both Suikoden III and V today, and it will be my first experience with this series. Hopefully one of them will turn out to be what I'm looking for. I've heard III streamlined the battle system of I and II, and while IGN loved it a good many CAGers despised it. V is supposed to be a return to the original style of battle, so I'm hoping to get a taste of what made the I and II so popular since I can't afford them.

[quote name='boyward']Oops. Well... yeah. :oops: I think I must have checked Amazon and Half, but stopped short of checking on eBay. Regardless, I'm looking forward to playing this. I ordered both Suikoden III and V today, and it will be my first experience with this series. Hopefully one of them will turn out to be what I'm looking for. I've heard III streamlined the battle system of I and II, and while IGN loved it a good many CAGers despised it. V is supposed to be a return to the original style of battle, so I'm hoping to get a taste of what made the I and II so popular since I can't afford them.[/QUOTE]

Well, regardless, it is difficult to purchase on ebay right now (no sellers of just the one game itself right now) and it isn't even listed new or used on EB, so you did OK. I got this game at release and it is one of the few PS2 RPG's I actually managed to finish. I quite enjoyed it - but I really can't compare it to any other Suikodens as it is the only one I've played (I've had a used copy of III for a a year and half now, and I also have IV sealed ;)).

[quote name='io']Well, regardless, it is difficult to purchase on ebay right now (no sellers of just the one game itself right now) and it isn't even listed new or used on EB, so you did OK.[/quote]

Yeah, I think I'm pretty happy with my purchase, especially since shipping is free at Gamefly, and Ebayers are charging as much as $12 for shipping.

I got this game at release and it is one of the few PS2 RPG's I actually managed to finish. I quite enjoyed it - but I really can't compare it to any other Suikodens as it is the only one I've played (I've had a used copy of III for a a year and half now, and I also have IV sealed ;)).

I had Suikoden III at one time also, but had an opportunity to sell it for $35 about a year ago. Just picked up a copy of III for $12 on Half. I'm not sure if that one's going to depreciate or increase in value, but I thought for $12 I couldn't go wrong.

[quote name='pete5883']I strongly recommend playing either I or II before III. You'll thank me later.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'm trying to win Suikoden I on Ebay right now. I can't justify paying over $100 for II though since I'm a player and not a collector.

Suikoden II blows I and III away in a heartbeat. It's one of the better games of last gen for me. V is pretty damn good also. I'd rank them II, V, I, III, Tactics, IV. Stay far away from IV.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']Suikoden II blows I and III away in a heartbeat.[/quote]

That may be, but is it 5 times better than Suikoden I, to justify the high price, which is usually 5 times more than I?

V is pretty damn good also. I'd rank them II, V, I, III, Tactics, IV. Stay far away from IV.

Well, then I feel pretty good about my purchases of the last two days. I got Suikoden I for $30 at Amazon, III for $13 at Half, and V for $28 at Gamefly. I can't afford II and I'm not interested in IV.

Should I play mine in order (I, III, V)?

So are we ever going to get the Suikoden I/II combo for the PSP? Or is that Japan only? That is the only way I'll ever play I and II. I'm holding off on playing III until I know for sure about those.

[quote name='boyward']That may be, but is it 5 times better than Suikoden I, to justify the high price, which is usually 5 times more than I?

Well, then I feel pretty good about my purchases of the last two days. I got Suikoden I for $30 at Amazon, III for $13 at Half, and V for $28 at Gamefly. I can't afford II and I'm not interested in IV.

Should I play mine in order (I, III, V)?[/QUOTE]

See, I played them out of order. I did II, V, III, I, Tactics.. and I never finished IV because it sucked that bad.

I would recommend playing III first because it's the least best out of the 3. You'll thank me later. It's a tossup after that. I personally would save V the last one. It takes awhile to get going, but once it does.. it's one hell of a ride.

And about II, I picked it up for 40.. So I can't say if it's worth the hefty price tag.. but I totally recommend it.

I played II after I, III, and IV, and I didn't think it was anything special. Prior experience with some characters greatly enhanced my enjoyment of III.

[quote name='io']So are we ever going to get the Suikoden I/II combo for the PSP? Or is that Japan only? That is the only way I'll ever play I and II. I'm holding off on playing III until I know for sure about those.[/QUOTE]
No. SCEA won't allow direct ports on the PSP.

[quote name='pete5883']I strongly recommend playing either I or II before III. You'll thank me later.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='calamityuponthee']I would recommend playing III first because it's the least best out of the 3. You'll thank me later.[/quote]

Hmm... which of you will I really thank later? :roll: Thanks for the advice guys. :lol:

[quote name='pete5883']I played II after I, III, and IV, and I didn't think it was anything special.[/quote]

Really?! So obviously you wouldn't recommend I pay upwards of $150 to get it then, eh? That actually makes me feel a little better that there's someone in this world that feels that way. I don't feel so much like I'm missing out. :D

bread's done
Back