Super Mario Galaxy 2 - New Trailer! - Out now

[quote name='jterp7']lol the
fire dragon
was so annoying that I had to finish it when the kids went to sleep otherwise some words would have slipped. As a matter of fact..it was harder than
final bowser
which made no sense to me.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah. Hardest boss in the game, I thought.

[quote name='sciafb']That was the first star that made the cosmo guide show up for me lol. There never was any lvl quite like that one where you got to play with that power up so it was weird getting used to it. It made me initially hate it, but love it afterwards, it was a nice challenge and still fun to play.

Keep that place in mind its a good place to grind starbits if you need em.[/QUOTE]

hah same here..still love that level though

2nd time the cosmo guide showed up was for the
fire dragon
I tried doing it without the life powerup for the longest time, then gave in and bought it. Not surprisingly it made it much easier.

[quote name='sciafb']That was the first star that made the cosmo guide show up for me lol. There never was any lvl quite like that one where you got to play with that power up so it was weird getting used to it. It made me initially hate it, but love it afterwards, it was a nice challenge and still fun to play.

Keep that place in mind its a good place to grind starbits if you need em.[/QUOTE]

For sure! Now it's a lot of fun. I used this level yesterday to get up to 1800 stars to open up a level in World 6.

Star 242, you are a real fuck!

Do'h! I've had 9,999 star bits since I hit 200 stars or so. It took me forever to figure out that you had to deposit them in the toad bank in order to make the last star appear :wall:.

I can do the yoshi phase, the blue-to-yellow block phase, and the cloud phase pretty easily but that flip-flop one just keeps kicking my ass. It also messes me up having to do that part still wearing the cloud suit.

[quote name='jterp7']hah same here..still love that level though

2nd time the cosmo guide showed up was for the
fire dragon
I tried doing it without the life powerup for the longest time, then gave in and bought it. Not surprisingly it made it much easier.[/QUOTE]

That one was probably the hardest yeah,
it gave me trouble initially but it wasn't that bad to just rush your hits and not give him a chance to do anything. The last hit was always cutting it close because his face is like RIGHT there lol. Maybe it was easier if you left the first bubble alone until the last hit.

I have one major problem with this game. I can't get a close up shot camera like Super Mario 64. I am at this fucking star where I got to jump on heads for pts, and I keep missing the heads because my shadow is so hard to see far away and in water.

Otherwise I love the game, upto star 91 now.

I agree the chimp jumping stars are a bitch because of lining up properly.

I decided I would actually go for the 120 this time (dunno about 242...), and I'm at 117 now. Just a few comet S levels left and I foresee a lot of cursing.

You folks are all just a tad further along then me. I think I'm up to a star total of 17. :) I am loving every minute of it so far, and the second player is way more fun in this game. My kids and I like helping each other out, and that 2nd player does make the game a lot easier. If you're stuck on some star, maybe recruit a helper?

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I have one major problem with this game. I can't get a close up shot camera like Super Mario 64. I am at this fucking star where I got to jump on heads for pts, and I keep missing the heads because my shadow is so hard to see far away and in water.

Otherwise I love the game, upto star 91 now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's my biggest complaint with the game. Not being able to customize your view makes the chimp stomp stars hard to get and in the "second quest" it makes getting some of the green stars hard because it's difficult to judge your jumps.

[quote name='Corvin']What's different about player 2 this time around?[/QUOTE]

In the first one you basically just collected/shot star bits right? Maybe you could annoy enemies or something. In this one you do that and have a luma character that can grabs coins and shit to hold on to and give to P1 when they need it. I haven't actually played it, but it seems a lot more helpful.

I've been playing this game for several weeks now. Fun, typical mario. The level design is very creative, on a couple levels the camera angles were a bit awkward. I'm in my 20s and i'd say this game is semi diffcult i can imagine 8-10 yr old it would be difficult even more especially since it marketed to kid gamers too

[quote name='SpazX']Got 120, kept going. Finished the green stars in World 1, so now I'm at 138. I might actually go for 242.[/QUOTE]

Forewarning SpazX, #242 is obnoxiously hard.

I just finished star 242 - it felt like giving birth. I thought I might never get it.

Quick tip:
you can make it to the platform stage with all three clouds.

[quote name='yeah-yeah']I just finished star 242 - it felt like giving birth. I thought I might never get it.

Quick tip:
[/QUOTE]

I was wondering about that.
I get there with two all the time but I guess I just need to time my final jump better on the fan stage to preserve all of my clouds.

[quote name='yeah-yeah']I just finished star 242 - it felt like giving birth. I thought I might never get it.

Quick tip:
[/QUOTE]

3 is above average. 2 is average. 1 is below average. I found that whenever I had 3 at that point, I screwed up more.

You can also get to the final part with Yoshi, but it requires some INSANE sequence breaking.

[quote name='Chitown021']I was wondering about that.
I get there with two all the time but I guess I just need to time my final jump better on the fan stage to preserve all of my clouds.
[/QUOTE]

Here's a cloud preservation tip:
Midway up the last electric hump, spin a cloud, then backflip to the top of the hump and spin another cloud. Hop off that one, grabbing the cloud powerup on the way down and land on the cloud you spun before the hump. Jump off of that cloud into the star.

I can only get Yoshi to the fan stage. Having him against the hammer brothers would be sweet.

[quote name='KingBroly']
3 is above average. 2 is average. 1 is below average. I found that whenever I had 3 at that point, I screwed up more.

You can also get to the final part with Yoshi, but it requires some INSANE sequence breaking.[/QUOTE]

seriously you can do that? I don't see how you'd get him through the fan stage.

For the final part
you only need to beat the last 3 enemies to get the Warp Star
. But I wouldn't recommend it.

[quote name='KingBroly']For the final part
you only need to beat the last 3 enemies to get the Warp Star
. But I wouldn't recommend it.[/QUOTE]

I disagree.
There are some hammer brothers that you can avoid easily and should as they're not worth the risk, especially the first four or so. I think I only got rid of 2-3 hammer brothers + the boomerang brothers when I finished the level.

I just played this over the past week or so and got star 242 tonight after losing like 7 million lives.

Those Green Stars were pointless and didn't add any enjoyment to the game to me. It was just forcing me to watch cut scenes again and play through small parts of each level over and over and over. Ugh. Seems like a lazy way to draw out the length of the game. I loved just exploring the levels in Super Mario 64 and it would have been fun to have hidden stars or something there, but this Green Star crap is lame in Super Mario Galaxy 2.

While I'm at it, the level design was particularly lazy in the last few worlds (not all of the levels, but a lot). Its like the designers ran out of good ideas.

Furthermore, I'm f-ing sick of Star Bits. Having to bank 9,999 was lame. This goes hand in hand with the motion controls. While I don't mind the waggle for Spin Jumps and other things, the actions the waggling cause negate the need to use other moves. I think 90% of all tough to reach spots can be accomplished by Backflip + Spin. I think I used the Triple Jump all of once this game and that was to get one Green Star. I suppose the Triple Jump doesn't lend itself to these small 'planets' within each level. I wish we could go back to a regular controller instead of the Remote/Nunchuck combo. New Super Mario Bros. Wii's waggle was pretty well done. If I could just hold a regular controller (i.e. Classic Controller) and do that waggle for some things some of the time, I think that would be a good compromise.

This game is a very natural extension of the first Galaxy game (only somehow the camera was pretty bad in this game compared to the first). I think it was just a matter of "Hey, we have some more ideas and more things we can do with this Galaxy stuff that we didn't put in the first game (for whatever reason)." So they made the sequel, then filled it with some less-than-good level design in the latter half, then dragged it out even more with the Green Star crap. They should have just played the "Complete the game again with Luigi" card from the first SMG instead of doing the Green Stars.

I'd advise most people to just get the 120 Stars and call it a day.

bread's done
Back