Super Mario Galaxy 2 - New Trailer! - Out now

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I got 120 in the first one. I'm already pretty sure I won't in this one. Most of the prankster comet stars that I've attempted have felt impossible so far.[/QUOTE]

I also got 120 in the first one. I'm up to 14 I think in SMG2 and haven't found a comet yet... but impossible sounds kind of fun to me!

I beat the game with 72 stars, but I went back and got 4 more so I have 76 in total now. I'll go for all the stars
once, but I doubt I'll do them again
so I can see if it gives me a special ending like the original Galaxy. Also, in regards to the ending
That little bastard stole my hat!

Something I noticed which I thought was a little odd. Beat the game the other day and working on stars. Well, on occasion I'll get the letter from Peach that says about her being kidnapped and gives you 5 1ups. Did I miss something? I thought I freed her. :razz:

Then again, this is Peach we're talking about here.

Now I know why Luigi went for Daisy. She never (seemingly) gets caught all the time.

Happened in the first game too. You know, now that I remember that, I wonder if by switching to Luigi I'd get 25 1ups like in the first game too.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I got 120 in the first one. I'm already pretty sure I won't in this one. Most of the prankster comet stars that I've attempted have felt impossible so far.[/QUOTE]

They feel to be about the right difficulty to me. Still working on getting through World 3, but I'm already up to 45+ stars and have completed all of the Prankster Comets that came up thus far.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Draekon']They feel to be about the right difficulty to me. Still working on getting through World 3, but I'm already up to 45+ stars and have completed all of the Prankster Comets that came up thus far.[/QUOTE]

I have only had one that I gave up on so far (will likely go back to it later)

Collect the purple coins on Flip-Switch Galaxy (I think thats the name of the galaxy, the one with all the rotating platforms that you spin to flip.)

I got 71 of the coins, then moved the remote ever so slightly and dropped the floor out from underneath of me. Damn I hate motion controls sometimes. Tried a few more times but never got back to that point.

I loved the huge slide level, and the comet for it. I hope there is another one like it.

I'm up to 19 stars and I'm in World 3. It has been EXCELLENT so far. I love games like this where you don't have to pay attention to anything and you can play for 10 minutes at a time if you want. It's about as perfect as a video game can be.

[quote name='javeryh']you can play for 10 minutes at a time if you want.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that is great. I have the Wii set up in a non-gaming room so that others in the house can use Wii Fit and Wii Sports, so it's nice to be able to tackle the game a few minutes at a time.

The last battle with Bowser is way too easy compared to the rest of the game. I found getting through the World 6 Castle was harder than fighting Bowser there.

118 stars. So close.
Both in the Special World, I'm not sure how to do that boss blitz in 5 minutes. I can do the first two pretty quickly and sometimes that mole in a decent phase, but once I get to the rock guy, I pretty much get stopped in my tracks.

[quote name='JStryke']118 stars. So close.
Both in the Special World, I'm not sure how to do that boss blitz in 5 minutes. I can do the first two pretty quickly and sometimes that mole in a decent phase, but once I get to the rock guy, I pretty much get stopped in my tracks.
[/QUOTE]

The mole can be done quickly if you realize that he pops up only when he's close to you. For the rock guy, it's pretty much the luck of the draw though. If you can get 2 at once, the first phase should go by pretty quick. He took me a little over 2 minutes to beat. I made it to the last boss without about 75 seconds left, and I ended up beating him with 55 seconds left.

Maybe these last few stars won't be so bad, but they seem rather tedious to find. I wish
they'd just give me an open level where I could go to and from wherever I wanted and get them that way.

[quote name='KingBroly']
The mole can be done quickly if you realize that he pops up only when he's close to you. For the rock guy, it's pretty much the luck of the draw though. If you can get 2 at once, the first phase should go by pretty quick. He took me a little over 2 minutes to beat. I made it to the last boss without about 75 seconds left, and I ended up beating him with 55 seconds left.

Maybe these last few stars won't be so bad, but they seem rather tedious to find. I wish
they'd just give me an open level where I could go to and from wherever I wanted and get them that way.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I figure if I can finish the rock guy with 40-50 seconds to spare, I might be alright with the flaming plant. He gave me a little trouble on the normal run, but that was probably just fighting him for the first time. For the rock guy, his first phase doesn't really give me problems at all. Don't know if it's as fast as it could be, but once he summons those hands, ugh.

For that part you shouldn't charge in until your Ghosts are at about 9 o' clock. Hard to describe, but you'll know when the time is right.

Currently at
141 Stars.
. I've also deposited about 4800 star bits. I've got to get 9999 to see if I gives me anything
yeah, I know it does.

Ended up getting it this morning after work so sitting at 120 right now.
Funny about the rock guy though. His 2nd phase went by quicker for me than his first phase. Then again, I got a really nice start as well.

For the magma plant, when needing the last hit, I missed twice and got burned and with 35 seconds left finally got the winning hit. I was on edge the entire time afraid I was gonna choke.

Although if you ask me in retrospect,
the final star I got, cosmic clones on the flip in-n-out galaxy, holy hell that was frustrating at the last segment where you have to do the wall jumps + spin (plus the beginning section of that with the spikes). I got hit so many times, I personally think that was worse than the boss blitz.

Thinking of maybe taking a break for now however.

Am I the only one who's playing this game in short bursts? Seriously, for some reason, I just don't wanna sit and play this for an hour straight, like I do with other games I like.

[quote name='Vinny']Am I the only one who's playing this game in short bursts? Seriously, for some reason, I just don't wanna sit and play this for an hour straight, like I do with other games I like.[/QUOTE]

Funny you mention that. That was my original plan (to play on and off while playing Dragon Age), but I just got sucked into it and haven't wanted to put it down.

[quote name='Vinny']Am I the only one who's playing this game in short bursts? Seriously, for some reason, I just don't wanna sit and play this for an hour straight, like I do with other games I like.[/QUOTE]

I started that way, for the first 20-30 stars or so, doing 5 or so in a sitting.

Then last night I got sucked into it, and played for around 2 hours. This morning I got really sucked in, played for 4 hours finishing up getting my 70 stars and beating the game. Now I just have to go back to see how many of the 120 I can get this time around.

[quote name='Kaoz']I started that way, for the first 20-30 stars or so, doing 5 or so in a sitting.

Then last night I got sucked into it, and played for around 2 hours. This morning I got really sucked in, played for 4 hours finishing up getting my 70 stars and beating the game. Now I just have to go back to see how many of the 120 I can get this time around.[/QUOTE]

I see... I'm still haven't beaten World 1 so I can't I haven't seen anything yet.

I don't think it's too conducive to short sessions, considering you lose all your extra lives when you turn off the game. Why they do this when NSMB Wii had it right, I'll never understand. Now yes, you don't usually need all those extra lives, but I can tell some of these Prankster stars will be a pain.

[quote name='pete5883']I don't think it's too conducive to short sessions, considering you lose all your extra lives when you turn off the game. Why they do this when NSMB Wii had it right, I'll never understand. Now yes, you don't usually need all those extra lives, but I can tell some of these Prankster stars will be a pain.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, losing my extra lives was a surprise.

[quote name='pete5883']I don't think it's too conducive to short sessions, considering you lose all your extra lives when you turn off the game. [/QUOTE]
Maybe that's why it's better to play in short sessions? It's better to lose 2 lives than 20, right?

I'm up to world 6. It seems to me that you have to get a good percentage of the stars to move on in this game. I think I'm going to have to go back and do some of the prankster comets before I'll be able to get to the end of world 6.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Maybe that's why it's better to play in short sessions? It's better to lose 2 lives than 20, right?[/QUOTE]
No, because if you get halfway through a level and lose all of them, you'll get kicked back to the beginning.

I loved Mario Galaxy 1. Unfortunately nothing that has come out since MP Trilogy has been enough to get me to wipe the dust off my Wii. Ugh, double entendres ftw.

Anyway, I found some of the
Luigi
levels in Galaxy 1 to be especially difficult because he's a slippery piece of shit. Other than that the difficulty wasn't too bad.

I've heard this game is really difficult later on. Will I have trouble with it, given that I only found certain parts of 1 to be difficult?

How's the music in this game? I thought Galaxy's music was the best game music I've EVER heard. I think this was the first Nintendo game that had orchestrated music, and it really set the bar high. Its part of the reason I disliked TP so much (also bc Okami >>>>>TP.)

Are there any frustrating parts to this game involving motion controls? I think the most frustrating part of 1 was the part where Mario is on the ball and you have to control him like a flight stick or something.

Thanks guys, hopefully I'll get responses pretty quickly so I can possibly take advantage of the $20 amazon credit.

[quote name='IRHari']
I've heard this game is really difficult later on. Will I have trouble with it, given that I only found certain parts of 1 to be difficult?
[/quote]
Yes. It's not Mega Man difficulty for the sake of difficulty, but there are some problem spots in each world. Remember daredevil and purple coin stars? They're back, and the bosses are harder. (I haven't found a really hard purple coin level yet, but I did try one coin level 4 or so times)

I only had problems with the some comet levels, daredevil levels, and some assorted later game levels in SMG1.

SMG2 I have had way more problems.

How's the music in this game? I thought Galaxy's music was the best game music I've EVER heard.

If you're planning on buying SMG2, play it for a little bit before you read the next thing:
SMG1's music is better, but I think knowing that beforehand will make you think the music is worse than it really is.

Are there any frustrating parts to this game involving motion controls? I think the most frustrating part of 1 was the part where Mario is on the ball and you have to control him like a flight stick or something.

YES. GameFAQs users (all Nintendo fanboys) think it's not a problem, I think they're fucking stupid. "Get better at the motion controls"! "Get Nintendo to let me use an analog stick and I will". I love Super Monkey Ball and hate the ball levels in SMG2. (Only saw 1 level that you play twice so far, probably one more level)

[quote name='Doomed']YES. GameFAQs users (all Nintendo fanboys) think it's not a problem, I think they're fucking stupid. "Get better at the motion controls"! "Get Nintendo to let me use an analog stick and I will". I love Super Monkey Ball and hate the ball levels in SMG2. (Only saw 1 level that you play twice so far, probably one more level)[/QUOTE]

I actually like the ball levels, but absolutely loathe the fluzzard levels. I want to fucking gut that bird. I especially hated getting the comet coin on the second world he shows up on...

[quote name='Draekon']I actually like the ball levels, but absolutely loathe the fluzzard levels. I want to fucking gut that bird. I especially hated getting the comet coin on the second world he shows up on...[/QUOTE]

I love the ball levels personally; didn't care for the Fluzzard ones, but wasn't terribly bothered by them either.

Favorite level was the big slide :bouncy:

edit: should be noted all I did was get the star from Fluzzard levels, I may still grow to hate him yet.

The Fluzzard ones aren't bad just for flying. But for finding Comet Medals and
Green Stars
they're bad.

Also, I changed my mind and I got
all 242 stars in a little under 30 hours

What I did for the new game + in SMG1 (and what I will do for this one as well) is I waited a year between the first 120 and the second 120. It's like a whole new game!

I have 8 stars to go and 3500 star bits for some Luma levels. I think I'll cheat for those star bits, thanks.

[quote name='RchrdJ']
The last battle with Bowser is way too easy compared to the rest of the game. I found getting through the World 6 Castle was harder than fighting Bowser there.
[/QUOTE]

What's really disappointing with the last battle is the awesome theme; however the battle doesn't last long enough to get to listen to the whole thing.

[quote name='Doomed']How's the music in this game? I thought Galaxy's music was the best game music I've EVER heard.

If you're planning on buying SMG2, play it for a little bit before you read the next thing:
SMG1's music is better, but I think knowing that beforehand will make you think the music is worse than it really is.
[/QUOTE]

You have no soul.

I'm up to 100 stars, and while I've hit some frustration, I've found nothing as bad as that purple coin level with the disappearing platforms in SMG1.

Edit: Of course, minutes after posting this, I find the
Mario Squared galaxy. fuck you, Nintendo.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='pete5883']I'm up to 100 stars, and while I've hit some frustration, I've found nothing as bad as that purple coin level with the disappearing platforms in SMG1.

Edit: Of course, minutes after posting this, I find the
Mario Squared galaxy. fuck you, Nintendo.
[/QUOTE]

If you think that's hard, I can't wait for your reaction to the final star.

[quote name='KingBroly']If you think that's hard, I can't wait for your reaction to the final star.[/QUOTE]
#120, or #242? I edited my post before I actually tried Mario Squared, it wasn't hard at all. I now have 120* stars. After dying 25 or so times trying to get the Prankster star in the last level, I just used the Cosmic Guide. I might come back some day and do it right, but I didn't really need to curse at it for another hour. The CG was actually very helpful though, I kept running into my clones on the final ascent, I didn't think to keep sticking to the sides.

That tree slide level is pretty hard; probably took me 20-25 times to beat it. SMG2 is deffinatley one of the smartest games I've played in a long time, the level design is just awesome.

Just got the third Grand Star, taking me to 50 stars. I haven't run into any trouble yet. This game is just pure fun, I love it.

[quote name='Rocko']Just got the third Grand Star, taking me to 50 stars. I haven't run into any trouble yet. This game is just pure fun, I love it.[/QUOTE]

I just hit 26 stars and finished my 3rd comet - everything has been pretty easy so far but I'm looking forward tot he challenge in the later levels.

[quote name='pete5883']
#120, or #242? I edited my post before I actually tried Mario Squared, it wasn't hard at all. I now have 120* stars. After dying 25 or so times trying to get the Prankster star in the last level, I just used the Cosmic Guide. I might come back some day and do it right, but I didn't really need to curse at it for another hour. The CG was actually very helpful though, I kept running into my clones on the final ascent, I didn't think to keep sticking to the sides.
[/QUOTE]

What part of the "final star" do you not understand? I'd honestly say it's tougher than getting all 240 Blue Coins in Sunshine.

I just started playing this... no... Super Mario Galaxy (1) over the weekend. What took me so long? I've actually got a copy of SMG2, but it's not going to show up in the house until later, either as a Christmas present for the boys, or perhaps a Father's Day or birthday present for me. :) I am a bit worried, though, that after I finish SMG1, I'm going to be burnt out and not really want to play SMG2 yet.

depends on your definition of finish. If finish = 120, then yes u will be burnt out..otherwise the minimum needed for bowser isn't really that bad.

bread's done
Back