Super Mario Galaxy 2 - New Trailer! - Out now

This game makes the first Mario Galaxy feel like a tutorial. I've died once already a handful stages in :lol:

The only used resources I see are are character models, no familiar old levels. Stages are much longer than I expect them to be. Their still is a hub and you select stages like the traditional stage to stage system that has been around since Mario 3.

I didn't really like the first Galaxy as much as some people, I even played it 120 stars through. This one is much better. Gives me the same feel I had when I played Mario 64 for the first time. I'm enjoying it so much.

[quote name='FallMoon']The Yoshi gameplay is too fun. Don't you guys agree?[/QUOTE]

Nope. Nintendo should release new Yoshi's Island on Wii :)

Man I wish I had release date delivery from Amazon with all the praise it's getting. It's currently sitting on a 98 on Metacritic tied with GTA 4 for the best rated game of the generation. Epic stuff.

[quote name='Masterkyo']Nope. Nintendo should release new Yoshi's Island on Wii :)[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with you. Yoshi's Island had the most delicious platforming.

Looking really forward to this, should arrive from Amazon tomorrow. I'm going to wait to start it until I finish 3D Dot Game Heroes, and man do I love that game.

Yoshi is great so far. The game feels VERY familiar and definitely more of the same but it is really really awesome. Pure fun.

[quote name='cgarb84']Looking really forward to this, should arrive from Amazon tomorrow. I'm going to wait to start it until I finish 3D Dot Game Heroes, and man do I love that game.[/QUOTE]

I was going to do the EXACT smae thing, but Amazon fucked me over and my 3D Dot Game Heroes took forever to come. I started Darksiders while waiting (awesome game!)... and I will just start Galaxy 2 once it comes, followed by 3D Dot Game Heroes.

I love me some Zelda clones!

Up to 64 stars at the moment, working on doing 100% on World 4 before I move on. I've put about 9 - 10 hours into it since Saturday night, so it's a long game.

Game is fantastic, but not quite as hard as the hype wanted me to believe. Some of the purple coin challenges are a bitch, though.

Too bad the surprise for getting 120 stars was ruined for me... by the back of the Prima game guide I looked at while waiting in line. I guess I can put it as a spoiler if anyone wants to see -
Apparently, there are 120 green stars as well... and getting everything unlocks a final, hidden galaxy

I didn't feel like the first game was all that great either, but that's because I barely was able to play it, since my brother was on it all the time, lol.

From what I hear from a lot of people is this game is amazing and I'll pick it up eventually, or just ask my friend to gamefly it for me.

Played the first one for about an hour and couldn't get into it. 24 stars in on SMG2 and I'm hopelessly addicted. Game is awesome.

Just turned the game back on and somehow I went from 51 lives to 10. I didn't lose any stars or anything else, just lives. What gives?

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Just turned the game back on and somehow I went from 51 lives to 10. I didn't lose any stars or anything else, just lives. What gives?[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the double post. I think MG1 did this too-- you will always have a default number of lives when you restart the game. Kind of lame-- but the lives really don't effect anything. Just another number slowly moving towards infinity.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Just turned the game back on and somehow I went from 51 lives to 10. I didn't lose any stars or anything else, just lives. What gives?[/QUOTE]
It means that the developers didn't want to balance the game so you don't get a shit ton of lives, so they take them away from you because they didn't want to fix anything on their end.

I'd have thought that they could do better than increasing the amount of lives you're reset with when you return to the game. Just got my copy from Gamefly, so I'm hoping to put some time into it in a bit.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It means that the developers didn't want to balance the game so you don't get a shit ton of lives, so they take them away from you because they didn't want to fix anything on their end.

I'd have thought that they could do better than increasing the amount of lives you're reset with when you return to the game. Just got my copy from Gamefly, so I'm hoping to put some time into it in a bit.[/QUOTE]

The game is awesome so far, but resetting your lives every time you load the game is total bullshit.

The last couple of times I've turned it back on, the toad with the mail has given me a letter containing a 5 up everytime.

And besides, the game is EXTREMELY generous with lives, so you'll get a ton again in no time. It's not a huge deal unless you burn through lives like crazy (and at 101 stars, I haven't done that yet). In areas where you are going to lose a few lives going for a star, Nintendo made sure there is a 1up you can keep getting, or in one case there were 3 of them.

It is a problem when they're punishing the player for legitimately collecting 1ups like they've done in every Mario game before this. If you're getting 50 1ups in two hours with the game and are maybe using 5 at most during that time, it's a balance issue that makes those lives so worthless that they might as well not even be in the game.

When they encourage replaying levels to build up your lives in the NSMB games, why are they sending a completely different message with the Galaxy games?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It is a problem when they're punishing the player for legitimately collecting 1ups like they've done in every Mario game before this. If you're getting 50 1ups in two hours with the game and are maybe using 5 at most during that time, it's a balance issue that makes those lives so worthless that they might as well not even be in the game.

When they encourage replaying levels to build up your lives in the NSMB games, why are they sending a completely different message with the Galaxy games?[/QUOTE]

You are really nitpicking about a non-issue, game-overs aren't even a concern in this game because you get 1-up's up the wazoo. By the 2nd Galaxy you can get a handful of 1-ups just by messing around on Starship.

The only punishment is not giving the player the satisfaction to see 99 next to the lives indicator. Yes, they might as well have removed the concept of lives and 1-ups but they didn't, does it make a difference in the way the game is played? No. Once the player knows the 1ups reset, they might stop going after them, or just grab them before difficult sections.

If it bothers you so much just put some tape on the lower left hand corner of your TV and ignore the green mushrooms.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Played the first one for about an hour and couldn't get into it. 24 stars in on SMG2 and I'm hopelessly addicted. Game is awesome.[/QUOTE]

How is this possible??? It is the SAME GAME!

I just got to World 2 last night and I'm loving it so far. Maybe it is better than the original but I don't know yet. Super Mario Galaxy is one of my all time favorite game and more of the same is fine with me!

[quote name='javeryh']How is this possible??? It is the SAME GAME!

I just got to World 2 last night and I'm loving it so far. Maybe it is better than the original but I don't know yet. Super Mario Galaxy is one of my all time favorite game and more of the same is fine with me![/QUOTE]

Agreed-- it's the same game, except I think the presentation in Mario Galaxy 1 was much better. The intro to Galaxy 1 where you are approaching the castle and bowsers war ships come in is epic- and it sets the tone for the whole game- and this one is seriously lacking so far (I'm only 8 stars in)

[quote name='nbballard']Agreed-- it's the same game, except I think the presentation in Mario Galaxy 1 was much better. The intro to Galaxy 1 where you are approaching the castle and bowsers war ships come in is epic- and it sets the tone for the whole game- and this one is seriously lacking so far (I'm only 8 stars in)[/QUOTE]

I agree but I like the World Map WAY better than the hub from SMG1 - it makes the game easier to play. You probably wasted 3 hours moving around the hub in the last game.

[quote name='javeryh']I agree but I like the World Map WAY better than the hub from SMG1 - it makes the game easier to play. You probably wasted 3 hours moving around the hub in the last game.[/QUOTE]

I think that's why I didn't like the first one. To be fair, I didn't really give it much of a chance, but I do remember thinking the hub was pretty cumbersome.

$50 actually (or was the price on k-mart a sale price and I didn't realize it?) I've only gotten 40 some stars so far and somewhere in world 4, but I'm definitely enjoying it thus far.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']So, let me ask now to people who are close to finishing the game: Was it worth $60?[/QUOTE]

It was $50, and it certainly would have been worth $60.

Easily better than almost anything else put out this gen. I'm at about 105 stars or so, fully completed every level except for the castle in level 6, and loved every minute of it.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']So, let me ask now to people who are close to finishing the game: Was it worth $60?[/QUOTE]

when has a mario platformer not been worth msrp? oh wait- i just remembered sunshine... continue.

[quote name='nbballard']when has a mario platformer not been worth msrp? oh wait- i just remembered sunshine... continue.[/QUOTE]

? Sunshine was awesome. One of the best games of last generation.

Sunshine was awesome - a little offbeat but still great platforming. In fact, I don't think there was a better platformer released for the Gamecube.

[quote name='javeryh']Sunshine was awesome - a little offbeat but still great platforming. In fact, I don't think there was a better platformer released for the Gamecube.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Whoops, I meant 50. Lol.

I love Super Mario Sunshine, except always had trouble with the Clean the Beach mission... Never could do it. :/

Just saved the princess. Took me just shy of 15 hours to beat it and I absolutely loved 95% of it. I'll probably keep it on the shelf and try and get a few stars every now and then.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Just saved the princess. Took me just shy of 15 hours to beat it and I absolutely loved 95% of it. I'll probably keep it on the shelf and try and get a few stars every now and then.[/QUOTE]

Let me guess... the 5% you didn't love was Fluzzard?

I really hated how they shoehorned the motion controls in there for those two horrible levels.

[quote name='animalspinners']
I really hated how they shoehorned the motion controls in there for those two horrible levels.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the balancing on the ball levels.

[quote name='animalspinners']Let me guess... the 5% you didn't love was Fluzzard?

I really hated how they shoehorned the motion controls in there for those two horrible levels.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I wasn't a big fan of those levels but I think I hated the Spring Mario levels more. In the Fluzzard levels, I at least knew I was doing something wrong when I died. Spring Mario, on the other hand, often had a mind of his own. I died a bunch of times just because he wouldn't spring when I wanted him to.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Yea, I wasn't a big fan of those levels but I think I hated the Spring Mario levels more. In the Fluzzard levels, I at least knew I was doing something wrong when I died. Spring Mario, on the other hand, often had a mind of his own. I died a bunch of times just because he wouldn't spring when I wanted him to.[/QUOTE]

This. The first level I tried when popping the game in today was the spring level. I almost gave up in frustration and went to play something else in my backlog. The fluzzard levels have nothing on the spring level if you ask me.

Spring Mario is without a doubt the worst executed Mario power-up ever. I didn't mind the rolling ball levels at all though. Also, I hated it when the flip-panels wouldn't flip at the correct time due to the Wii Remote. Flip-top galaxy had me frustrated for the longest time.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Yea, I wasn't a big fan of those levels but I think I hated the Spring Mario levels more. In the Fluzzard levels, I at least knew I was doing something wrong when I died. Spring Mario, on the other hand, often had a mind of his own. I died a bunch of times just because he wouldn't spring when I wanted him to.[/QUOTE]

See, I never had a problem with Spring Mario, or the first Fluzzard level... but the second one, trying to get all 5 gates to get the comet coin, was maddening. Fluzzard seemed to have a mind of his own... I'd tell him to go left and dive, he would dive but not go left and die, or go right and die.

The ball level I was ok with because it only showed up once in all six worlds, and was relatively painless. But that Fluzzard level seemed to only be in there because Miyamoto and crew realized at the last minute "Crap... we barely have any motion controls in here!"

[quote name='maximumzero']? Sunshine was awesome. One of the best games of last generation.[/QUOTE]

To each their own. I'll admit that I didn't play past the 5th star.

I had a lot of problems with Nintendo's first party gamecube games. They all seemed to rely too heavily on a prop and not enough on the gameplay that we were familiar with (MS Fludd, Star Fox with the staff, Luigi's vacuum, etc).

Additionally, I didn't feel that the FLUDD controlled well, and i hate coin hunting missions.

118 stars... and the second to last star is a bitch to get just because of the way they made it.

And there we go, 120 stars. Epic game.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='javeryh']Sunshine was awesome - a little offbeat but still great platforming. In fact, I don't think there was a better platformer released for the Gamecube.[/QUOTE]

Sunshine was a great game, just not up to the standards of Mario. Some of the problems included...

- HORRENDOUS voice acting (Piantas, Bowser)
- 240 Blue Coins of madness (almost putting DK64 to shame)
- Extreme difficulty curve (You know which ones make this true)

I'm at 61 stars right now, and I just hit a start that took me at least 9-10 tries to do. I kinda don't like the premise of these levels to begin with. Also, I'm saying Galaxy 1's music > Galaxy 2's music so far. Nothing extremely awesome is coming to mind right now for Galaxy 2.

I should get my copy today. I never got the full 120 in the original Galaxy, we'll see if I try for it in this one.

[quote name='animalspinners']or the first Fluzzard level... but the second one, trying to get all 5 gates to get the comet coin, was maddening.[/QUOTE]

So that's how you get it. I never saw a comet coin, but that would explain why.

[quote name='SpazX']I should get my copy today. I never got the full 120 in the original Galaxy, we'll see if I try for it in this one.[/QUOTE]
I got 120 in the first one. I'm already pretty sure I won't in this one. Most of the prankster comet stars that I've attempted have felt impossible so far.

bread's done
Back