Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='The Crotch']... you don't think very much of me, do you?[/quote]
. . . well . . ..

:drool:

Perhaps I should stick to all-joking or all-serious, instead of half-joking as I was in that last post.

[quote name='The Crotch']... you don't think very much of me, do you?[/QUOTE]maybe it's because i too am Canadian but I understood you and the Do/Duex thing as well.

the one thing I want for brawl is character swapping. for EVERY mode. The final smashes look awesome, but think about it: if your freind mastered an unbeatable characters smash, things will be less fun. My freind still uses continous screw attacks as samus, and wins. swapping characters to a new one after every match? of course, it would be optional

I might not make much sense, so if anybody understands me, please post this idea in english.

[quote name='mega_n00bzer']the one thing I want for brawl is character swapping. for EVERY mode. The final smashes look awesome, but think about it: if your freind mastered an unbeatable characters smash, things will be less fun. My freind still uses continous screw attacks as samus, and wins. swapping characters to a new one after every match? of course, it would be optional

I might not make much sense, so if anybody understands me, please post this idea in english.[/quote]

If your friend just screw attacks all game, you should be able to crush him hardcore.

[quote name='BattleChicken']If your friend just screw attacks all game, you should be able to crush him hardcore.[/quote]

Eh, that could get annoying really fast, but you should be able to dominate him if that's all he knows how to do.

Use a character with lots of long range moves if you have to.

[quote name='Killer Rabbit']Eh, that could get annoying really fast, but you should be able to dominate him if that's all he knows how to do.

Use a character with lots of long range moves if you have to.[/quote]

that isnt the point- final smashes with some characters may be unfair, and if the player is forced to swap every now and then- WHAM. no more unfair deaths for me

[quote name='mega_n00bzer']that isnt the point- final smashes with some characters may be unfair, and if the player is forced to swap every now and then- WHAM. no more unfair deaths for me[/QUOTE]

Forced to swap out? No fighting game I'm aware of requires that you change your character during 2 player matches.

[quote name='The Crotch']
Deux. Remember: it's like "Deus Ex", but without the "s E".[/quote]

And without the "X" sound, right?

Otherwise, wouldn't it be pronounced DEW-X*?

* Well, more of a hissing, "KHSS" sound, but you know what I mean.

[quote name='Chronotrigga']Can't wait for this. This will be game of the year. Guaranteed.[/QUOTE]

its hard to say a game is GOTY before its out, or before the year comes. who knows, maybe we might get sin & punishment wii? :)

[quote name='The Crotch']If you lose to someone who does nothing but hammers on Up+B, the problem lies with you, not the game or your opponent. Also, you can probably turn off Smash Orbs in case a particular FS is too cheap.
Deux. Remember: it's like "Deus Ex", but without the "s E".[/quote]bah.. you know my spelling is even worse in english. sorry. Now that I'm awake it doesn't look right.

[quote name='Killer Rabbit']And without the "X" sound, right?

Otherwise, wouldn't it be pronounced DEW-X*?

* Well, more of a hissing, "KHSS" sound, but you know what I mean.[/quote]see now I hope that's a joke. please let that be a really lame joke.

[quote name='mega_n00bzer']the one thing I want for brawl is character swapping. for EVERY mode. The final smashes look awesome, but think about it: if your freind mastered an unbeatable characters smash, things will be less fun. My freind still uses continous screw attacks as samus, and wins. swapping characters to a new one after every match? of course, it would be optional

I might not make much sense, so if anybody understands me, please post this idea in english.[/quote]It took a few replies but I get you. I can tell you right now it's not going to happen. There has never been a fighting game that forced you to change characters. There are games where they force you to keep the same character until you end the series (which sucks). There are games where you can swap out characters each match until the series ends (pretty much all). There are no games where you have to swap out character each(or every other X) match until the series ends.

Your worry is FS. Final Smashes aren't going to be that serious from what I can tell. They're looking decently avoidable and none of them are insta-kill. Even if they do get the Link FS when you are >100% that's only one kill. So what if you have Meta-Knight and can't catch him with the cape. The whole point of FS is that they're rare. Like getting the hammer in Melee. Probably more rare. Unless you have Smashballs turned way up (which of course you do at your own risk) it shouldn't be that big of an issue.

If your worry is your friend who spams a power move like spin attack that's a different situation because they can camp out and just spin over and over again. This is where you have to find a character to counter the spin move. There are plenty of items that would counter it but for characters there's always Samus with her missles, Link with his boomerang. Zelda with her magic is even better. Good punch on that one. Personally I'd go with a heavy hitter like Koopa or DK. Koopa has fire. DK can ground pound. Peach has a down smash that's pretty nice. If you play a level with platforms stay above him. You should have a nice large window where he can't spin into you during your downsmash.

Final Smashes are an interesting take on the series. I guess it's mainly for those people who are behind, and want a quick way to catch up. There's also some strategy in it. You could just get them to waste them, forcing your opponent to outduel you. They're cool, as it adds an additional layer of complexity to the game.

Come on, where are Zelda's moves? We haven't gotten ANY information on her. The only character to receive nothing when it comes to her character page.

[quote name='Wolfkin']
see now I hope that's a joke. please let that be a really lame joke.[/quote]

Lame jokes are my specialty here on CAG. My jokes are usually pretty good, but if a lame joke is annoying enough...BAM!

Also, if you turn Tap Jump off, you can cut the jump function out of the up direction on the Control Stick. This means it’s easier to do an up attack without jumping into the air. Use whichever way you prefer.
Now this, I like!

After a moment, your name will be saved to the Wii Remote. Of course, you can expect your control settings to carry over along with your name!
This too.

Really great that you can fully customize the controls, for all schemes. The amount of polish on this is really showing.

I just want to pre-empt all the hardcore/tourney players who are goign to scream about how you can remove jump from the directional controls in order to make up smashes easier.

Also, interesting that they are allowing information to be saved to the Wiimote (as opposed to an SD card/Smash Bros data). I kept thinking that such things should be possible. I actually bet the Wii2 is going to take this idea much further, as I think it could be a potentially great idea.

Edit: Curses, evilmax. Curses.

This is pretty nice, I may actually have to try the classic controller and wiimote+nunchuk at some point, since I can configure them to this extent. I doubt I'll ever give up the GC controller though.

Not the greatest update today, but it's nice seeing the button configurations for all of the controllers, plus the ability to save your profile to the Wiimote to take over to a friend's house. I also like the test feature.
They really did think of everything. :)

Also, I have a suspicion that the "Shake Smash" will be horribly innaccurate. But I imagine most everyone knows that already.

Well, there goes every mystery about the controls, except how the hell you're supposed to press both the A and B button simultaneously with the NES-style Wiimote.

The captions remind me of that Sideshow Bob quote... "Especially Lisa, but especially Bart"

[quote name='Kyattsuai']Well, there goes every mystery about the controls, except how the hell you're supposed to press both the A and B button simultaneously with the NES-style Wiimote.

The captions remind me of that Sideshow Bob quote... "Especially Lisa, but especially Bart"[/QUOTE]

Thumb and pointer? I'm crushing your head!

[quote name='Strell']Also, I have a suspicion that the "Shake Smash" will be horribly innaccurate. But I imagine most everyone knows that already.[/quote]

Yeah, probably. But still, it's a nice addition. You know, it's the thought that counts.

Am I the only one who wasn't surprised that you could save profiles to the Wii Remote. I could have sworn this was already confirmed or heavily hinted at by official sources. I don't have any problem doing upsmashes.. I have problems doing short hops. This is an update I love. My only apprehension is that I'm worried about how configuration works. I hope it will be something simple. I hate complicated configuration screens.. but if that's the worst problem I'll be fine.

[quote name='KingBroly']Come on, where are Zelda's moves? We haven't gotten ANY information on her. The only character to receive nothing when it comes to her character page.[/quote]ditto. Zelda's moves will confirm Shiek. People want to know.

[quote name='mega_n00bzer']this update deserves a samus side boob :D[/quote]
This is a good update, but I think you're a little eager to whip out the ol' SSB.

Pre-empt all the competitive players you want Strell, but I'm still hyped about removing jumps from the control stick. Makes them tilts easier. Although, it might take some getting used to, seeing as how I'm way too used to just tilting it as it is.

And where's a damn Kirby update already?

[quote name='Strell']I just want to pre-empt all the hardcore/tourney players who are goign to scream about how you can remove jump from the directional controls in order to make up smashes easier.

Also, interesting that they are allowing information to be saved to the Wiimote (as opposed to an SD card/Smash Bros data). I kept thinking that such things should be possible. I actually bet the Wii2 is going to take this idea much further, as I think it could be a potentially great idea.

Edit: Curses, evilmax. Curses.[/quote]

I AM GOING TO BEAT YOUR ASS.

[quote name='Wolfkin']Am I the only one who wasn't surprised that you could save profiles to the Wii Remote. I could have sworn this was already confirmed or heavily hinted at by official sources.[/quote]
I believe it was confirmed/heavily hinted at when the Name Update was made. Sakurai said that you could save a different control preference to each name, and I think he also said that they were thinking about letting you save profile to the Wiimote.

[quote name='tankexmortis']This is a good update, but I think you're a little eager to whip out the ol' SSB.[/quote]
What good is a rating system that contains the SSB if the SSB doesn't get tossed around a lot? Also, did the SSB really look "ol'" to you? ;)

[quote name='crystalklear64']Was up smashing ever difficult? A simple tap of the yellow stick = up smash.[/QUOTE]
Very true, but some people have trouble using the "tilt" moves, like Samus' leg drop.

I like no jump for tap stick. I can use Links up b without jumping.

Its pretty hard to not smash and just do a heavy attack in a game.

Does anyone know if there will be voice chat in Smash when it comes out? Has anybody heard any rumors or info about this at all?

[quote name='crystalklear64']Was up smashing ever difficult? A simple tap of the yellow stick = up smash.[/quote]but you can't charge a c-stick.

[quote name='pittpizza']Does anyone know if there will be voice chat in Smash when it comes out? Has anybody heard any rumors or info about this at all?[/quote]you must be new. Nintendo takes parental paranoia very seriously. Way too seriously. I'm still a little surprised Metroid Prime hunters had it but even then it's only between friends. Nintendo is going to wait till next generation for voice chat. by then more gamers will be parents and hopefully there'll be a lot less fear uncertainty doubt going around.

[quote name='Kaijufan']According to people on NeoGaf it's Link's Final Smash, but the site isn't loading for me.[/quote]

We already got that, though. Yesterday's was Lucas.

According to the GAF thread, they don't have it either.

So I checked other sites to see if any of them updated - nope so far.

Also, the word for "controls" in Dutch is "Knopfbelegung."

Goodness. I do not know if I could put up with that shit for long if I was living in Holland.

[quote name='EXStrike']We already got that, though. Yesterday's was Lucas.

According to the GAF thread, they don't have it either.[/quote]
You're right, I just saw the picture and assumed it was the update. I should know what happens when I assume. ;)

Widescreen Support:
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/various/various15.html

This title, like most Wii titles, supports widescreen display. In other words, you can enjoy the game with full display across televisions with wider screens, too.
This is standard display.​
This is widescreen display.​
The border off the screen that cues a KO is the same for both. Choose the display mode that matches the TV you have at home.
But some people may not know if they have a normal TV or widescreen TV, and may not even know what difficult terminology like 4:3 or 16:9 means. Right? Who knows all that stuff?
So, all you have to do is check the circle that appears in the background on the screen where you choose your display setting.
This is the correct standard ratio.​
This is the correct widescreen ratio.​
The two shots above... Wrong.​
Being able to just look at the image and know if you got your settings right is pretty huge, huh?
Ah, yes. If your television has screen-size settings called Wide and Full, set your TV to Full. If you choose Wide, there is a chance the image may be shifted toward the center of the screen.

DK Music:
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/music/music15.html

i like how sakurai takes into account those who are retarded when it comes to knowledge of 4:3 and widescreen junk, for that i thank him :)

Edit: if you look at the musician list now it got UBER long

bread's done
Back