Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='Wolfkin']to negate a variety of moves? is it like the Roy/Marth Counter? like Dr/Mario Cape?
[/quote]
I think it might mean that Wario-Man isn't completely invincible, but he is able to resist (either actively or passively) certain attacks--projectile/other ranged attacks, if I had to guess.

If it's a passive defense, it's probably just (effectively) an always-on version of Fox's Deflector, automatically blocking ranged special attacks.

If it's an active defense, it might be just like Fox or Ness' special deflectors, but it might also be more powerful; perhaps it works like Fox's shield but blocks all attacks, like an R-Trigger shield that has no timer.

I'm basing these guesses off of the fact that he said "negate" instead of "counter," or "reflect." To me, negate implys that Wario merely blocks attacks, instead of counter-attacking or reflecting opponent's attacks.

[quote name='maigoyume']i was thinking wario man's moves just outprioritize 95% of the other movesets[/QUOTE]

Warioman is the new Princess Peach, and/or Samus's natural air.

[quote name='mega_n00bzer']turns out, there are two other unanounced trophies: jill, from drill drozer, and metroids from, er, metroid. no screen shots though. this is weird. very weird. also, Doomed, I like typing in red :D[/quote]We already knew these. Including the Advanced Wars one.

[quote name='dallow']We already knew these. Including the Advanced Wars one.[/QUOTE]

damn.....

yet again, I look like a dumbass. me is embarresed :(

[quote name='lilboo']Dec 3rd's update will be "LOL! JK! It REALLY came out today! GOTCHAAA!"[/quote]
The December 3rd update will be this:

We are happy to announce that, in celebration of Super Smash Bros. Brawl's previously announced release date, we have produced 23 advance copies of the game, and we are prepared to sell them to you RIGHT NOW!* But since we can't just distribute these copies off of the backs of flying pelicans, we have decided to hold a Smash Bros. Tournament to decide who gets the privilege of buying these copies!

No, not a video game tournament. I'm talking about actual hand-to-hand combat. In an actual underground street fighting tournament. Where people will punch each other. In the face. Or in the groin; we don't really have any rules prohibiting low blows. AEEEEEUGHHhhh!

This is going to be a no-holds-barred UFC-style combat deathmatch, complete with body slams, elbow drops, and those Jujitsu chokeholds that can kill people. Note that we allow, and encourage, contestants to hire actual trained UFC warriors to fight for them in the tournament. But since we don't want to be held responsible for all of the deaths that are likely to result from this contest, all contestants will be required to sign waivers.

From time time, if I'm feeling bored, I'll throw a few items into the ring. You might recognize some of the items from your favorite games! For example, you can expect to see brass knuckles, switchblades, or revolvers inside blue hamster balls. We're calling them "Final Smash orbs." And guess what we're using for Hammers? That's right, hammers! We're still working the kinks out of the motion-sensing mines. Do you feel lucky, punk? Well, do yah?!

At the end of the match, the last man standing will receive the privilege of buying all 23 advance copies of Super Smash Bros. Brawl! One for yourself, and 22 for eBay!

I can't wait to see you all there!

* Note: Copies will be shipped February 10, 2008. Please allow 4-8 weeks for delivery.

[quote name='mega_n00bzer']damn.....
yet again, I look like a dumbass. me is embarresed :([/quote] Why?
[quote name='mega_n00bzer']turns out, there are two other unanounced trophies: jill, from drill drozer, and metroids from, er, metroid. no screen shots though. this is weird. very weird. also, Doomed, I like typing in red :D[/quote] [quote name='Killer Rabbit']The December 3rd update will be this:
RIGHT NOW!*
* Note: Copies will be shipped February 10, 2008. Please allow 4-8 weeks for delivery.
[/quote]
[quote name='mega_n00bzer']*signs up*[/quote]
At least your username is fitting.

[quote name='Wolfkin']
what about the Bike?

where did that come from? does it come with the smash? or can you summon it like Peach and her Turnips[/quote]

The Bike is Wario's Side Special.

I'm sure this question has been asked somewhere in this thread, but there's no way I'm reading through 171 pages to find it.

Does anybody know if Brawl will have the same "advanced techniques" as Melee does? I finally got the hang of bomb jumping and missle canceling with Samus. (I've almost got wavedashing down too). Were those things actually considered "problems" with the game? I'm worried that after all the time I've spent learning how to do those techniques, they're going to be removed from the game. That would suck.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']I'm sure this question has been asked somewhere in this thread, but there's no way I'm reading through 106 pages to find it.

Does anybody know if Brawl will have the same "advanced techniques" as Melee does? I finally got the hang of bomb jumping and missle canceling with Samus. (I've almost got wavedashing down too). Were those things actually considered "problems" with the game? I'm worried that after all the time I've spent learning how to do those techniques, they're going to be removed from the game. That would suck.[/QUOTE]

Short answer: Don't know.

I imagine you're including things like Wave Dashing, Dash Dancing, L-Cancelling, L Techs, etc.

All the hardcore crowd threw a fucking fit at the E for All thing, claiming the game is slower, easier, more casual, etc.

There's honestly little way to know until the game is released in full. Comments on a demo tend to be poor at best.

You have to keep in mind that the majority of the advanced techs in Melee were mostly exploits - they weren't put into the game with the intention of being used and/or discovered. They were left over bits of code that weren't shut tight enough to keep some very observant and hardcore players from being able to use them.

That is my understanding, anyway.

If I remember correctly, L-cancelling is still in, wavedashing is out.
But if you want a deep, complex fighter, get VF5. Brawl is about simple, awesome fun.

[quote name='Doomed']
At least your username is fitting.[/quote]
Right, because the long shipping time is really the part of the tournament that would make signing up for it stupid:

Where people will punch each other. In the face. Or in the groin; we don't really have any rules prohibiting low blows.

This is going to be a no-holds-barred UFC-style combat deathmatch, complete with body slams, elbow drops, and those Jujitsu chokeholds that can kill people. Note that we allow, and encourage, contestants to hire actual trained UFC warriors to fight for them in the tournament. But since we don't want to be held responsible for all of the deaths that are likely to result from this contest, all contestants will be required to sign waivers.

Groin kicks and lethal chokeholds? P'shaw!

event matches

various16_071129a-l.jpg

It’s the return of Events! This is a single-player mode in which you battle through predetermined situations.
This is the Events selection screen.​
Oh! The pictures make it easy to understand.
And it has different difficulty settings!​
For these, a harder setting is probably more exciting, but you can go ahead and set it however you like.
For example, you’ll find these kinds of situations:

Two Trouble Kings​
Character: Mario​
Bowser and King Dedede battle as a team!
And Mario stands alone against them.​

Pink Ball Repulsion​
Character: Meta Knight​
Kirby must not be allowed on the Battleship Halberd!
Blast Kirby off before the platform lands on the Halberd!​

Cleaning House in Skyworld​
Character: Pit​
Destroy all the terrain in Skyworld!
Wario both gets in the way and helps out?​

Sleeping in the Eggs​
Character: Yoshi​
Using Yoshi’s Egg Lay standard special move,
put both enemies inside eggs simultaneously!​

Dark Link Duel​
Character: Link​
It’s a fated battle with your own shadow.
This is a stamina based match.​
High scores are recorded for each challenge at each difficulty level. You don’t just clear these challenges—competing for time will magnify the fun.
Enjoy Smash’s chance meetings between a variety of characters!

Cool.

Event matches look fun, hopefully we'll get tons of them. I also hope that they will include an event match editor, and let us download each other's events, the daily event similar to the daily level, and more official Nintendo created events.

These dont look all that exciting. the melee events were just awesome and each was unique. the parody names were funny to. some events were called things like ''kirbys air-raid'' a play on the GC game air ride, and involved crashing warp stars into multicoulerd kirbys. another,''Mario 128'' involved beating 128 tiny marios, a play on the GC game that never was.

judging from the screenshots, most are just slightly altered ''fight the baddie and ____ ''. but hopefully, later levels be more interesting

Event number ONE puts you against those two behemoths simultaneously - they're not messing around...

Something tells me that event 51 is going to be against 2 Giga Bowsers, Giga Master Hand, and Giga Dr. Kawashima's Disembodied Head, complete with OHKO eye lasers.

[quote name='mega_n00bzer']some events were called things like ''kirbys air-raid'' a play on the GC game air ride[/quote]

Kirby's Air Ride came out a couple years after Melee.

[quote name='mega_n00bzer']my freind sure likes zero suit samus. today he said

'' I sure would like to screw ( attack ) her!''

:)[/QUOTE]

Your friend is a sad man on many levels.

[quote name='mega_n00bzer']my freind sure likes zero suit samus. today he said

'' I sure would like to screw ( attack ) her!''

:)[/quote]This made me laugh because it's just so freakin' sad.

Tomorrow's update WOULD have been the last update until the game came out (Oh man, that hurts saying it..:cry: )

I wonder what kind of update we WOULD of had.
...Really want a good update for the end of the week.

Though, I wonder how much stuff there is to report???
I just wonder what our next REALLY big "ZOMG!!!" update will be..:whistle2:k

[quote name='The Crotch']Wavedashing is out, I think. I'm okay with that. L-Cancelling - which was put into the first game and Melee intentionally - is, sadly, also out. Airdodging is in, but it's been changed. You can't change the direction of the dodge like you used to, so you'll just dodge in whatever direction/speed you were already going. On the plus side, it's no longer possible to accidentally suicide-dodge while trying to block an attack, as you can still do things after a dodge. Bomb jumps are still possible, but the timing has been changed, and no-one playing the demo was able to get it down. You can do a triple-jump by springboarding off an enemy's head now, which also works as a meteor smash. The number of characters that can latch on to cliff edges like Link and Samus could has increased. There's also a flying mechanic similar to The Thousand Year Door's paper airplane. No word on crouch cancelling, and I can't remember about wall-jumping.[/quote]

Damnit. Almost everything in that paragraph was a dissapointment. I can live with no wavedashing, I haven't mastered that yet anyway. I don't use L-cancelling often, but that still sucks. It's going to be a bith to try and get the hang of bomb jumping again too...

This is the first truly bad news I've heard about this game so far. Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to love every minute of this game, but I really liked having those special techniques. They added a whole new level of skill to the game.

Oh well, I'll get over it. I'm sure people will find a whole new set of exploits anyway.

I liked the "exploits". Not because I used them, but because the added bonus of rubbing that in people's faces when you beat them. "Lolz, u uze sploitz and still looze!>!>!"

Oh how I wish there was voice chat vs. strangers...

[quote name='lilboo']
I just wonder what our next REALLY big "ZOMG!!!" update will be..:whistle2:k[/quote]
I feel the need to beat my Hand-to-hand Combat gag horse here.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']
Oh well, I'll get over it. I'm sure people will find a whole new set of exploits anyway.[/quote]

Oh, without a doubt. I'm not eager to hear the whining that will take place once someone discovers a Final Smash exploit.

[quote name='Killer Rabbit']Oh, without a doubt. I'm not eager to hear the whining that will take place once someone discovers a Final Smash exploit.[/quote]

Oh god, I hadn't thought of that...

[quote name='Nohbdy']Dr. Mario + Peach Combo Returns[/QUOTE]

thats Nurse Peach to you, she didn't go to school all those years to be called just Peach

Melee Stages!

First, take a look...
Could this be...​
The Temple!​
This is the Temple stage from the last installment, Super Smash Bros. Melee.
I think that based on my updates so far, you probably understand that we’ve created plenty of stages.
But we wanted to do more, so we’ve brought back a number of stages that appeared in the last game.
It’s...big...​
It’s perfect for those who like pursuit.​
We’ve tried to create an exact replica, but there may be a few areas that differ from the last game. I hope you understand.
In general, the Melee stages have the same background music as in the last game, but we’ve also prepared some tracks like this.

There's also Zelda II music.

Good update today, nice to know some Melee stages will be returning.
Hyrule Temple was one of my favorite Melee stages, so I'm very happy we'll be seeing it again.

Same sentiments as everyone...favorite stage in Melee. Really happy it's in.

This id definitely the best update we've had in quite a while.

I have to say that this is my least favorite music update yet.

Considering I went apeshit for most of the other ones, it must be said that hoping for every bit posted to be as godlike as the Yoshi theme (and that new DK one that fuckin' staggers your shit megaton) is stupid, and contrary to popular belief, I izn't stupid.

Me? I knows what's up.

bread's done
Back