Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Gen. Discussion & Info

Wow. It's been a while since I've played Melee, so I forgot how much I suck. I played Dedede for the first time against a lvl 5 Cpu, and I lost. I realized the main problem was that I didn't know how to use the new character. Later on, I also realized I hated using Dedede. Oh well. After that, I played using a Melee character I knew well, and I did considerably better, which was reassuring. Thankfully, by the end of the night, I was able to whoop lvl 9 Cpu's one one one. Hopefully, I'll be able to do fairly well online soon. You know, once the servers are actually working. I was never that good at Melee, but this a cleaner slate, so hopefully I'll improve.

In case anyone was wondering, or having difficulty unlocking chars, here's the Brawl central unlock list: http://www.brawlcentral.com/content.php?p=hidden_characters

Snake is so easy to unlock!

Also, I noticed that Brawl Central also says to beat Event 20 to unlock Jigglypuff. I believe the strategy guide says to be Event Match #22. Would that make more sense (Is it a Puff-related match?)? You do have to beat Subspace Emissary in order to unlock Events 21-30, though.

[quote name='dallow']Oh, no wonder Spectator mode always works quickly.

It's not even live matches, it's replay data from old games.[/quote]

Those scoundrels!

[quote name='dallow']Oh, no wonder Spectator mode always works quickly.

It's not even live matches, it's replay data from old games.[/quote]

I can't even see the option for Spectator mode. :bomb:

I have yet to be able to play a match online that wasn't with friends. Can't find a single person when trying the random people matchups. I get in the lobby and wait a few minutes, before being kicked out.

[quote name='Scorch']Added everyone who sent me a PM about it.

Feel free to add..

3523-1694-2649[/quote]

I added you Scorch, but your PM box was full.

i give it a 9/10 it would get a 10/10 if the speed was like melee, man i miss being able to run like in melee, i'm glad hyrule castle made it in the game though(one of my favs)

also the build a level is pretty nice, i can picture some good levels being made

SSBB was well worth the wait, time to retire melee
best thing was i didnt have to wait to purchase it in store and it wasnt sold out
walked into wal mart at 12:05am and was home by 12:15am

[quote name='KhaosX']Odd... i havent beaten SSE yet, but i unlocked Sonic after playing about 3-4 hours of 5 stock 4 player vs brawl. I very highly doubt i did 300 matches in that sort of time. There has to be an alternative way to unlock him...[/quote]

Ok now i am positive there has to be an alternative way to unlock Sonic. I just checked my records, and my current vs play match total is 59. My guess is that i got him at 50?.

according to brawl central:
Complete Classic Mode with 10 characters
Play 300 matches in VS Mode
Complete the Subspace Emissary
Ive only completed classic mode with 2 characters
Ive 59 vs mode matches
im 72% done with SSE

I can't believe after all these delays that Nintendo still can't get online right. fuck you Nintendo. Such bullshot. It's bad enough we have to deal with 16 digit friend codes, and then 12 digit game codes; but we can't even do a quick match on the launch day. What a crock.

I love this game and I want so smash some people with a bat, and yet I can't. I guess my 12MB connection isn't good enough for Gamecube 1.5. :bomb:

I think what you need to do to allow spectator mode is go into options after entering the main WFC menu. And select allow spectators, choose one of the options and after that it might show as one of the random matches options. Again, I'm not %100 on that.

[quote name='dmunkee']I think what you need to do to allow spectator mode is go into options after entering the main WFC menu. And select allow spectators, choose one of the options and after that it might show as one of the random matches options. Again, I'm not %100 on that.[/quote]

But, there is no options area after entering the WFC menu (on mine). All I see is the battle with friends and battle random people buttons.

[quote name='zerowing']How do I do Snake's CODEC?[/quote]

Someone said to do a taunt on the Shadow Moses level.

I've unlocked everyone via SSE mode.. yay

[quote name='dmunkee']I think what you need to do to allow spectator mode is go into options after entering the main WFC menu. And select allow spectators, choose one of the options and after that it might show as one of the random matches options. Again, I'm not %100 on that.[/quote]

See, I've read this elsewhere too, and I'm starting to get a little worried that either I'm a moron or my game is wonky.

From the main menu I click on Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. It asks me if I want to connect. Yes.

After I connect, the only choices are "With Friends" and "With Anyone." If I click on them, the choices are:

With Friends
Brawl
Friend Roster
Team Multi-man Brawl
Home-run Contest

Going into any of those says nothing about Spectator mode, only setting up the game you chose. Nothing about Spectator.

With Anyone
Basic Brawl
Team Battle

Both of those send me to the character select screen to start the fight. Again, nothing about Spectator.

Am I missing something, or is my game missing something?

[quote name='mikej012']See, I've read this elsewhere too, and I'm starting to get a little worried that either I'm a moron or my game is wonky.

From the main menu I click on Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. It asks me if I want to connect. Yes.

After I connect, the only choices are "With Friends" and "With Anyone." If I click on them, the choices are:

With Friends
Brawl
Friend Roster
Team Multi-man Brawl
Home-run Contest

Going into any of those says nothing about Spectator mode, only setting up the game you chose. Nothing about Spectator.

With Anyone
Basic Brawl
Team Battle

Both of those send me to the character select screen to start the fight. Again, nothing about Spectator.

Am I missing something, or is my game missing something?[/QUOTE]

That's weird, under the "With Anyone" choice I also have "Spectator" as an option.

[quote name='mikej012']See, I've read this elsewhere too, and I'm starting to get a little worried that either I'm a moron or my game is wonky.

With Friends
Brawl
Friend Roster
Team Multi-man Brawl
Home-run Contest

With Anyone
Basic Brawl
Team Battle

Am I missing something, or is my game missing something?[/quote]

Mine is the exact same way.

[quote name='godhatesjustyou']That's weird, under the "With Anyone" choice I also have "Spactate" as an option.[/quote]

I looked in the manual (page 22), and it says:

Depending on when you play, you may see options under the Nintendo Wi-Fi connection menu. The option Spectator may appear under the "With Anyone" menu in the same fashion.

Guess it's nothing wrong with the games. But I have tried throughout the day/night to see these options, and get nothing! :bomb:

Since me and my roommate are sharing Brawl, we're also sharing friend codes. How nice!

4081-5169-7703

Just PM me if you wanna go, or something.

[quote name='Rig']I looked in the manual (page 22), and it says:

Depending on when you play, you may see options under the Nintendo Wi-Fi connection menu. The option Spectator may appear under the "With Anyone" menu in the same fashion.

Guess it's nothing wrong with the games. But I have tried throughout the day/night to see these options, and get nothing! :bomb:[/quote]
Interesting. I've been looking all day/night also. I guess I'll just try again tomorrow.

Huh, that is odd. For me, the first time I jumped into wi-fi the option wasn't there. But it popped up later after adjusting my options. At the time I hadn't beaten any modes, just played a few brawls, so I know you don't unlock the option.

According to the manual: Depending on when you play, you may see options appear under the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection menu. The option spectator may appear under the "With Anyone" menu in the same fashion.

The whole "depending on when you play" part seems strange. Maybe it's dependent on server load? That doesn't really make since either though, since they aren't live matches you're watching or anything.

You have to allow spectators to watch matches, under options in Wifi check allow spectators, that may solve the problem. I can see it now.

Just got done with a couple random matches. Lag was noticeable, but otherwise very solid. I'm about to sleep in another 20 minutes, so if anyone wants to play, speak now, etc.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Just got done with a couple random matches. Lag was noticeable, but otherwise very solid. I'm about to sleep in another 20 minutes, so if anyone wants to play, speak now, etc.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just finished a few random matches as well. Best I've experienced so far with no major lag. Hopefully it starts to clear up in the near future.

[quote name='zerowing']You have to allow spectators to watch matches, under options in Wifi check allow spectators, that may solve the problem. I can see it now.[/quote]

Still not there for me. Ugh. Back to Classic mode, I guess.

4:08 in the morning (for me)...wouldn't expect them to still be getting hit hard!

Got the game this morning on the drive back from my friend's bachelor party. Fell asleep after playing like 3 or 4 matches and woke up much later (it was a LONG night last night).
Anyway, so I was playing it for a few more hours and decided to order some food. I had it on my large projector in my front room, and the delivery guy came and started talking about it while I was paying. We invited him in and asked if he wanted to play. He said he was just going to watch for a minute, but then after our match ended he jumped in on the next one. He was here for probably like 15-20 minutes.

Now I know why whenever I order delivery it always takes forever.

[quote name='Foo228']Just got mine up

0860-2941-4678

Anyone wanna play right now?

edit: name- Foo[/quote]
Sure, I'll go. Code is in my sig.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Sure, I'll go. Code is in my sig.[/quote]

just set up a room, joining?

edit: just got grounded by mr. beef

edit 2: 1 outta 3 ain't that bad..

[quote name='drfunk85']Got the game this morning on the drive back from my friend's bachelor party. Fell asleep after playing like 3 or 4 matches and woke up much later (it was a LONG night last night).
Anyway, so I was playing it for a few more hours and decided to order some food. I had it on my large projector in my front room, and the delivery guy came and started talking about it while I was paying. We invited him in and asked if he wanted to play. He said he was just going to watch for a minute, but then after our match ended he jumped in on the next one. He was here for probably like 15-20 minutes.

Now I know why whenever I order delivery it always takes forever.[/quote]

I would never invite a stranger into my house :/
Not even to play brawl

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Fun games either way. =D Nice playing, Foo.[/quote]

Thanks, right back at cha

Good times there, but that last match felt so laggy (or maybe I'm awful as Link ;))

I just maxed out my friend codes from this list so there is a good chance if you posted your code before this post, I added you. Feel free to add me my code is 4940 5095 7365 if it doesn't seem you are registering then pm me and I'll remove someone that isn't registering with me.

[quote name='Foo228']Thanks, right back at cha

Good times there, but that last match felt so laggy (or maybe I'm awful as Link ;))[/quote]It WAS pretty laggy....;)

Stuck in a part in SSE:

It's where you use Zero Suit Samus/Pikachu. I enter a door where you fight these HUGE replicating eyeball/pokeball things. I really don't know where to go after you fight those things. There seems to be a blocked off pathway in front of you, but I have no idea how to unblock it. This room seems to lead nowhere ATM.

help anyone?

Apparently, the no Spectator Mode/No Wi-Fi Options thing is a glitch, or something wrong. I have the same problem. A few accounts say it takes a few days if you signed on to WFC before the servers went up.

However, the one sure way to get them to pop up is something you don't want to do...delete your data.

[quote name='MusicNoteLess']Stuck in a part in SSE:

It's where you use Zero Suit Samus/Pikachu. I enter a door where you fight these HUGE replicating eyeball/pokeball things. I really don't know where to go after you fight those things. There seems to be a blocked off pathway in front of you, but I have no idea how to unblock it. This room seems to lead nowhere ATM.

help anyone?[/quote]

Go back to the room with the spinning platforms. Follow the bottom-right path. Eventually, you should hit a switch in there.

Then, move to the upper-right room. You will move a platform, which will open the area you are talking about in your post.

Went to Nintendo's site, and they had this:

All Problems with Super Smash Bros. Brawl

What type of problem are you experiencing? Playing online ("You have been disconnected" errors, slow connection, etc.)
  • "You have been disconnected from other players" errors The Wi-Fi Connection servers are unable to find a compatible match for you. At this time we are still compiling information on this issue. If you are receiving this error message, we would appreciate your assistance in providing us details by filling out our brief online form.
  • Are you getting Error Code: 86420? If so, Click here for specific troubleshooting.
  • All other issues: Due to the popularity of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, our servers may be experiencing a high amount of traffic. If you are experiencing any other connection issues, we ask that you try again later.
    If you are still unable to connect, we recommend trying the following tips to help improve your connection:
    • If you have never connected your Wii console online before, check here for first time setup help first time.
    • Try to set up a "With Friends" match with other players that you have exchanged Friend Codes with. For more information on setting up matches with friends, click here.
    • If you are using a wireless router, make sure that the router has the latest firmware installed. Visit your router manufacturer’s website and look for any updated firmware that may be available (these are typically found under "downloads" or by searching for your particular model number).
    • By default, most wireless routers broadcast on channel 6. Check to see what your router is set to, and change your router's channel setting to 1 or 11, as those do not overlap with other channels. (Router "Channel" settings are typically found in the "Wireless Settings" area of your wireless router's setup utility. For information on accessing your router's settings, click here to select the brand name and model number of your router (if available), or consult the owner's manual for your router.

[quote name='Rig']
Go back to the room with the spinning platforms. Follow the bottom-right path. Eventually, you should hit a switch in there.

Then, move to the upper-right room. You will move a platform, which will open the area you are talking about in your post.
[/quote]

Thanks!

quick question, when playing friends brawl online, does everyone need to be on each other's friends lists to play with each other? Like if 2 out of the 3 other people are friends with each other, does that 3rd person need to befriend the other two people to allow everyone to play together?

I can't seem to get a game going with other people. It says I connect and it is seeking other people, but just stays that way forever - I've spent an hour waiting for other randoms to connect... what the hell?!

If you added me Nickname - Tom from the OP or anywhere else PM me. I really don't want to sort through 14 pages of "I added the list add me too." If you take the time to add me then PM me, I'll add you right back once I get a PM.

bread's done
Back