Super Street Fighter 4 - $39.99 (GS)

in regards to price,

you can say that I spent a lot of cash buying two copies of the game, a new joystick, two gamepads I still havent even taken out of the package, and a cthulu board to dual mod the stick.

if that sounds like a lot, it doesnt compare to the amount of cash I spent at the arcade playing, on tournament entrance fees, on gas to go to various SF events, and even for hotels!!

the game is a culture and that's why these rebalances come out. Regardless of price I'm there.

[quote name='firenze']
The 10 stated new characters are:
* From SF3: Dudley (HELL yes!), Ibuki, Makoto
* From SSF2: DeeJay, T.Hawk
* From SF Alpha: Guy, Cody, Adon
* New characters: Juri, Hakan (an Arabian grappler)
[/QUOTE]

Wait, 10 new characters? What? Everything i'd read said there would only be 3 or so new characters. Before it sounded like far more of a rip off, but if there really is this much new content being added, then I think I could justify the 40$ price tag for another disc.

$60 for SF4, a game that I've played more than any other game this generation.

$40 for an improved version of said game, count me the hell in.

I'm definitely getting this day one/preorder. However, not from GS unless come holiday shopping time there's a B1G1 at BBV with good trade promos at GS. Any word on what the bonus for having the original is yet?

I'm glad this isn't DLC. Having bought many fighting games over the years I just hope that the game is balanced.

Eight new characters in one year is pretty hard to pull off in such a competitive game.

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']Wait, 10 new characters? What? Everything i'd read said there would only be 3 or so new characters. Before it sounded like far more of a rip off, but if there really is this much new content being added, then I think I could justify the 40$ price tag for another disc.[/QUOTE]

No it's gonna be 8 or 10 (not yet confirmed which number is correct since we do not know if Ono meant 8 new total or 8 more after he revealed 2) new characters. Most people only think it's 3 cause only 3 have been revealed. Supposedly there is so much new content on this disc that DLC would not be feasible. Here's hoping that's true. :pray::pray::pray:

A used copy of the PS3 version of SF goes for about $25 so I am planning on selling my copy there and then picking up Super at Amazon as well. They will probably have it for around $30 after discount/goldbox/ECA so that would mean about about a $5 upgrade for me. Total no-brainer at that point.

[quote name='Rozz']The old version will be worthless by the time this re-release comes out... It already only gets $5.50 at Gamestop in credit and about $15 on eBay right now, I can only imagine how much it'll dip in the next few months.[/QUOTE]

Yep when SSF4 comes out, I can pretty guarantee the original won't even be worth its weight in toilet paper. However there are "rumors" (most likely true) that keeping the original disc will net you something good when SSF4 debuts. Whether or not it's anything good or worth it doesn't really matter to me. I don't think I'll sell or trade my copy anyway. Probably if nothing better, I'll frame it and hang it on my wall.

Yeah ive played sf4 more than any game so for 40 bucks or around 30 at amazon its a no brainier. Once you get to G1 and up the game is pretty competitive and so much more fun than it was g2 and prior or even ranked.

[quote name='theloserboy']Huh? What are the new gameplay elements? Are you talking about they mentioned that they're probably going to give some of the "old" characters new ultras? Let's hope by rebalanced, they don't mean they made Sagat even better.[/QUOTE]

You don't want a better, stronger, faster, more powerful, taller, extra eyed, better looking, etc... Sagat??? You sir, are in the minority. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty good if you don't have the game and Capcom has been repackaging SF3 for years, I don't know why people are complaining now

[quote name='Rozz']The old version will be worthless by the time this re-release comes out... It already only gets $5.50 at Gamestop in credit and about $15 on eBay right now, I can only imagine how much it'll dip in the next few months.[/QUOTE]

Worthless in value, but not if you want to play. The game's moved a ridiculous number of copies, and I guarantee that there will still be people playing the original online for a long time to come. Not everybody's going to want to upgrade, especially not for $40.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Worthless in value, but not if you want to play. The game's moved a ridiculous number of copies, and I guarantee that there will still be people playing the original online for a long time to come. Not everybody's going to want to upgrade, especially not for $40.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, I still play on a daily basis and will so up until SSF4. Then I'll sell it, but by then I will have already gotten a lot for the $60 I paid for it.

Part of me wants to trade it in now... i honestly cant wait for the game to comeout just cause they said they be fixing the online play. However... with all the NEW games coming out 40 bucks compared to maybe a 50 dollar new game... ehh iono how much enjoyment ill get from new characters.

[quote name='Kamelot']Pretty good if you don't have the game and Capcom has been repackaging SF3 for years, I don't know why people are complaining now[/QUOTE]

It's been basically a decade since SF3. Granted, they did this with 2, and then with 3, but as Jeff Gerstman's said, fighting games aren't the huge deal now that they were back in '92. It's not necessarily a great idea to piss off people who just bought a game, even if they used to do that all the time.

[quote name='Nohbdy']Now we know not to buy Dead Rising 2 on day one.[/QUOTE]

I guess the problem is trying to figure out if a game will get rereleased. Dead Rising 1 wasn't...but Lost Planet was. Force Unleashed, who knew? Fallout 3 (I'd better be able to buy a pack with all the expansions without rebuying a game I HAVEN'T EVEN CRACKED OPEN YET!)

It's just kind of obnoxious. Buy a game on day 1, or wait a year and get a better game for less (often before I'd have actually cracked open the original).

At least I seem to be safe on Bionic Commando (which really was a fun game...and this coming from someone who holds the original almost sacred).

Its not a suprise really given Capcom's history.

But they are doing this stuff all over. PS3 owners are getting improved versions of Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean and what not a year later on the PS3. Hell even Eternal Sonata had extras.

What's next? Demons Souls Omega edition for PS3 and 360?

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Worthless in value, but not if you want to play. The game's moved a ridiculous number of copies, and I guarantee that there will still be people playing the original online for a long time to come. Not everybody's going to want to upgrade, especially not for $40.[/QUOTE]

Good point. However one thing will invalidate that argument for me. I highly doubt that hardcore players will not be buying SSF4 as soon as possible. Maybe causal players (I'm thinking they're the majority). No offense to them, cause some might be really good, but I'm almost certain that most of the good competition will move to SSF4.

[quote name='LordSMVS']Good point. However one thing will invalidate that argument for me. I highly doubt that hardcore players will not be buying SSF4 as soon as possible. Maybe causal players (I'm thinking they're the majority). No offense to them, cause some might be really good, but I'm almost certain that most of the good competition will move to SSF4.[/QUOTE]

Most definitely since most hardcore guys frame count already and with the new frames and the revision to some moves, it definitely is a must to move on. Also since new characters are being introduce it means a whole new set of characters to relearn and compete against.

It is a day one pick up for me since both dudley and adon are going to be in the game.

Having bought SF4 when it came out, I can still say this has some value. There is some added content, plus the game is largely based on multiplayer and will have replay value based on that. This is the kind of game you could play for hundreds of hours if you wanted. Plus, I can't help but think it COULD be more expensive.

With the flood of returned SF4 copies I've seen at Blockbuster and Gamestop, I am a bit suprised Capcom isn't giving some kind of discount to SF4 owners. Maybe they can send their disc in and get Super SF4 for $25?

Why bitch about the price? If you don't like it don't buy it. There are plenty out there who are going to pick it up and I doubt you will be missed. Lots of fighters get this treatment and have been for longer than most of you have been alive. Whats wrong with retooling a game and making it better.

To many people here want shit for free, fuck if you don't like it don't buy, your Ken wont be missed.

[quote name='Dhuk']With the flood of returned SF4 copies I've seen at Blockbuster and Gamestop, I am a bit suprised Capcom isn't giving some kind of discount to SF4 owners. Maybe they can send their disc in and get Super SF4 for $25?[/QUOTE]

There is rumored to be a bonus/incentive for keeping the original, but no word on it yet and most probably not a discount. I'm thinking it's a free SF4 beverage coaster.

[quote name='the_legend_of_drtre']umm no. when those games came out SEGA GENESIS was market leader. This reason for the high price were the carts and that quite a few had actual gpus IN THE cartridges to allow visuals snes couldn't do on it's own.[/QUOTE]

youre confused. the genesis was never the market leader in the states. it was definitely more popular in europe and substantially less so in japan (it had to compete with the tg16 there too, which was a substantial competitor there, unlike here). genesis was always playing catch up to whatever the snes was doing. sure it did some things better and had better marketing department (blast processing rofl), but the numbers dont lie. although sega fanboys will forever lament it's loss and demise.

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']Wait, 10 new characters? What? Everything i'd read said there would only be 3 or so new characters. Before it sounded like far more of a rip off, but if there really is this much new content being added, then I think I could justify the 40$ price tag for another disc.[/QUOTE]

3 NEW characters, 7 rehashes.

I bet they are going to let you import your save for unlocks.

I would have bought this at genesis era $70 championship edition prices, so 40 bucks tickles me just fine.

Street Fighter IV easily was my most played game of the year; many a fun night with friends and brews yelling at each other at the top of their lungs over close fights.

$40 is easily a fair price for the amount of content being added. If you don't think so, then either A) you haven't been reading about it or B) you're not that into fighting games. For people who aren't really into fighters, there's no reason for you to pick it up day one, in which case you can afford to wait, enjoy your copy of SFIV, and pick up SSFIV when it's at a discounted price.

[quote name='postulio']3 NEW characters, 7 rehashes.[/QUOTE]

None of this is confirmed. Only very strong rumors hint at 2 all new characters. And we know that a total of 8-10 characters will likely be added/announced to the roster over the course of development. We're getting balance tweaks, new Supers and Ultras for all characters, new stages, improved online play (all mentioned by Ono in an interview), and around 8 new characters. They could have easily charged $60 for this. Don't kid yourselves, whiners. People will eat this up (as they should), and your money is a drop in the bucket.

This is the perfect price point for people who don't currently have the game (a bargain, really), and for people who love fighting games. Everyone else will stick with SFIV for a while, and the online will still be semi-alive.

$40 seems fair. i don't have the orig game, but still i'm not a huge fan (as you can see since i don't have the original ha) so i'll probably wait until this one drops to $25 or below.

I'm down for one - although it's release is 3 days before my b-day, so maybe I'll request it from someone...but even if I didn't, I'd still buy it.

I don't understand why people get so bent...if you want it, buy it if you can, and if you don't want it, then don't. Capcom isn't forcing you to do shit.

There are precious few titles/series I buy on release day, and SF is one of them (along with EA's NHL, CoD games, Soul Calibur, and a few select others). I can pay full retail for a game once in a while, it doesn't bother me.

I hope they release another version after this one. Everyone knows Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Street Fighter III: Third Strike kick your ass. I wish they would include The SFIII characters.

[quote name='javeryh']I wish they would include The SFIII characters.[/QUOTE]

Too early to know if they have ruled it out -- I think there are still 6 more characters that have yet to be revealed. I'm personally hoping for Ibuki and/or Mokoto.

$40 is reasonable, IMO considering it would likely cost more if everything was sold via DLC. And with the usual Amazon.com discount with Golden Box & ECA, should come out to ~$30 shipped.

[quote name='Dhuk']With the flood of returned SF4 copies I've seen at Blockbuster and Gamestop, I am a bit suprised Capcom isn't giving some kind of discount to SF4 owners. Maybe they can send their disc in and get Super SF4 for $25?[/QUOTE]

Ono (producer of the game) said in an interview that SFIV owners will get a bonus. I'm not sure how that will work though.

I'm in for 1. I really enjoyed the SFIV and was very into the online component for the first few weeks after launch (when I could find decent matches. Sadly, the majority of the middle of the road players, like myself, have moved on).

At the very least, this purchase will validate my madcatz arcade stick that I bought and then modded.

[quote name='LostRoad']Why bitch about the price? If you don't like it don't buy it. There are plenty out there who are going to pick it up and I doubt you will be missed. Lots of fighters get this treatment and have been for longer than most of you have been alive. Whats wrong with retooling a game and making it better.

To many people here want shit for free, fuck if you don't like it don't buy, your Ken wont be missed.[/QUOTE]

Great post and all true.

[quote name='shouamabane']Ono (producer of the game) said in an interview that SFIV owners will get a bonus. I'm not sure how that will work though.[/QUOTE]

Probably send in the UPC for a download code of some costums or something for the new version. Don't expect much. Afterall, this is the nickel and dime you to death generation.

[quote name='postulio']youre confused. the genesis was never the market leader in the states. it was definitely more popular in europe and substantially less so in japan (it had to compete with the tg16 there too, which was a substantial competitor there, unlike here). genesis was always playing catch up to whatever the snes was doing. sure it did some things better and had better marketing department (blast processing rofl), but the numbers dont lie. although sega fanboys will forever lament it's loss and demise.

3 NEW characters, 7 rehashes.[/QUOTE]

it most definitely was market leader in the u.s. you're retarded.

and even if it wasn't(which is was) who cares? market leader means GLOBALLY , not whatever region you feel like including at the time.

and YOU are the fanboy here as shown in your response above. genesis was market leader until around early 1995.

I am also one of the most well known Nintendo fans in existence so don't even go there.

Yeah, I want to play this but I'm convinced that there will be at least one more iteration of this game before this console gen is over.

39.99 is a decent price if you didnt buy the original already.
(will probably be around 35 at amazon)

But capcom could easily just make this a 9.99 DLC add on for all the current owners.

Considering how much the DLC cost for the original game, this is reasonable for the amount of new content, and adjusted gameplay balance. Similar content would cost at least as much or morre as nickel-and-dime DLC, so this is much better.

I think $30 would have been more proper. Especially since there isn't any new stages added. Hopefully there would be more additions that will give this price more crediability otherwise that price is shite.

[quote name='Mindzeye82']At the very least, this purchase will validate my madcatz arcade stick that I bought and then modded.[/QUOTE]

What pac-man doesn't validate the buying of a madcatz arcade stick? :D
Also anyone know if the Madcatz sticks can be modded for the Wii (stupid question?)?

[quote name='LostRoad']Why bitch about the price? If you don't like it don't buy it. There are plenty out there who are going to pick it up and I doubt you will be missed. Lots of fighters get this treatment and have been for longer than most of you have been alive. Whats wrong with retooling a game and making it better.

To many people here want shit for free, fuck if you don't like it don't buy, your Ken wont be missed.[/QUOTE]

Give this man a god damned medal. :applause:

I just wonder what the SFIV owners will get. It's cool they balanced it, added more characters and did a couple other enhancements, but I don't like having a game I bought come out later repackaged. I wish they would have made it so it could have been patched, but I guess it works for the non-live people.

Eh I will most likely grab this when it is $20 and give my original copy to someone else.

Anyone know if it's new achievements also? I would think so.

The Genesis-SNES thing got me thinking...I mean, people would be upset if this was DLC, people would be upset if it's a retail disc...they can't win. At least there is the option for DLC these days. Back in the Geneis/SNES days, it was Brand new game time. There were no expansions, save for Sonic & Knuckles.

Really, I've bought Street Fighter so many times at this point that it's sick, and I'll keep on buying it, cause it's one of my faves.

Aren't there character specific stages in SSF4? I'm think I read there was... maybe I'm just remembering a SF fan's dreams.

I wish this would be $30. I'm more of a casual fighting genre fan so I don't know if I'll get this...

[quote name='Mako1215']I just wonder what the SFIV owners will get. It's cool they balanced it, added more characters and did a couple other enhancements, but I don't like having a game I bought come out later repackaged. I wish they would have made it so it could have been patched, but I guess it works for the non-live people.

Eh I will most likely grab this when it is $20 and give my original copy to someone else.

Anyone know if it's new achievements also? I would think so.[/QUOTE]

New title, new retail release, new achievements/trophies.

bread's done
Back