Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

[quote name='Halo05']I'm halfway through...

Letters from Iwo Jima

It's pretty awesome so far. Oddly way better than Flags of Our Fathers despite Clint Eastwood directing both (I think). I think the presence of known actors in Flags really hurt it. The whole point of the book that it is based off it to show the sort of 'everyman' nature of the Marines and Corpsmen that raised the flag on Iwo Jima and in many cases, died there afterward. Having (allegedly) hunky Ryan Phillipe there sort of impedes any kind of immersion in the story.

In summary, read Flags of Our Fathers and (barring some horrible second-half breakdown), watch Letters from Iwo Jima.[/QUOTE]

I liked Letters MUCH better as well. I don't think it's the actors. It's that letters is a great war movie, and Flags was mainly the story of some fake heroes being used as PR to sell the US war effort.

Letters did a great job of showing the impact of war on soldiers--and from the other side so not just the usually "ra-ra go US" jingoism we get in most war movies.

Silent Night Deadly Night - 4/5 - classic christmas themed horror movie. Kid is afraid of Santa because when he was younger his parents are murdered by a man in a santa suit. Long story short, he becomes dressed as santa and murders all the "naughty" people. SNDN has some creative kills and a lot of laughs. The pacing is good so you dont find yourself waiting for something to happen. It fully delivers on the promise of being one of the best Christmas horror films.

Black Santa's Revenge - pretty funny short w/ Ken Foree as black santa. Ken Foree kills a group of people who stole presents from charity.

GI Joe - I enjoyed it :) cheesy, bad acting, over the top. Honestly, it was what I expected, a live action version of the cartoon. Not sure what others were looking with a movie based on toys & a cartoon.

10,000 BC - Everything that is wrong with Roland Emmerich movies.

2012 - Everything that is right with Roland Emmerich movies! If you want to make a movie with tons of special effects and no substance, this is how it's done. I don't think Independence Day holds up, and Stargate is better as a TV show, clearing the way for this to be his best movie. The world being destroyed is the best part, but I was surprised to find myself entertained through the last hour on the boat as well.

Seeing 2012 gives me the opportunity to bring up this article: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/2012/news/1854593/five_favorite_films_with_roland_emmerich

Roland Emmerich is a fucking liar. Lawrence of Arabia? Citizen Kane? Yeah right. I'm sure he likes those movies, but they're pretty generic answers for a guy that's leveled at least 1 city in 4 of his last 6 movies. Where the hell are The Towering Inferno, Poseidon Adventure, and Earthquake?!

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey - What's to say?

Jumper - I really wish this was good. It's a good a concept and it's directed by Doug Liman. The special effects and fight scenes are pretty good. Unfortunately, it stars Hayden Christensen - a giant douche. I get that Rice is supposed to be a kind of douche since he only uses his powers to selfish ends, but the role can not handle the level of douchiness that Christensen brings to the table.

I'm inclined to say the plot makes no sense, mostly thanks to the film's characterizations. After narrowly escaping from Roland (Samuel L. Jackson), an assassin for a cult or something that wants him dead, Rice decides it might be a good time to try to woo his high school crush. Thankfully, by dragging a helpless girl into the mix for no reason, the film gets a damsel in distress. We're never given a good reason as to why anyone wants all the Jumpers dead, other than they're "abominations." Yeah, history's settled for less, but guys, this is a movie. It's not that big of a hole from the Roland aspect, but it really screws with the end of the movie.

Yes Man - How... optimistic. Granted, I'm just hateful and angry, but I was annoyed by the concept of saying yes to everything and having it all turn out just peachy. Relevant. Really though, this is pretty good. There's no magic curse or anything, so it's less goofy and a more heartfelt, but it feels like a return to form for Jim Carrey. If you want a slightly more adult version of Liar Liar, watch it.

RocknRolla - It's a Guy Ritchie movie, and the style does not stray from Lock Stock or Snatch. It is different enough though, so it avoids feeling stale. I thought the Johnny Quid character was a little underdeveloped - he's the title character, and he's pivotal towards the end of the movie, but it all comes as a surprise because we don't really know anything about him at that point. If you like Ritchie's other movies you might as well see this. And once again, why is Ludacris in this?

The Savages - I was a little slow warming up to this one. I'm not sure if anyone under 40 will be able to connect to this right away. But Laura Linney ends up carrying the movie.

8 1/2 - I think movies about movies have a leg up with critics, but this was good. I have a feeling I'll enjoy it more on subsequent viewings - you don't really know where it's going the first time, so it can be hard to follow. Can't wait for the remake.

Showgirls - I watched this because it was the only Paul Verhoeven American release I hadn't seen (except for Flesh+Blood, apparently, which I've never heard of). Also, tits. Not worth it.

They Shoot Horses, Don't They? - This struck me as an emo-teenager movie of 60s - although the people in this movie have pretty good reasons to be sad and dark. As I was watching, I was thinking the movie was directed by Sidney Lumet, and I saw strong similarities to Network (how people exploit each other, etc). I had the wrong Sidney, but I can't shake the connection. Guess I need to watch Network again.

Ninja Assassin - This movie has a lot of cheese and a lot people getting cut in half. So much, in fact, it makes me wonder why Tarantino had to make that scene in Kill Bill black and white. It does a pretty good job of dispensing with the plot and getting on to the action. I don't think this movie has the endurance of a good martial arts movie, where the effects and camera work are toned down so you can see what's going on, and what's going on is more interesting beyond the gore.

Bolt- Average animated movie, nothing really special.
Fantastic Mr. Fox- I liked it, but the plot was okay at best.
Ninja Assassin- I thought there was too much gore, okay for a martial arts movie.

Saw Fight Club for the first time in a long time. I don't know why but this time it pissed me off. I think it was because I knew that he was just in his head. I like the movie and think it is great but this time it just pissed me off.

Just got back from seeing 2012. I liked it and didn't expect it to be as good as I thought it was. I don't know why but I liked seeing everything go to hell.

Away We Go - about as good as i was expecting, and i was expecting it to be really damn good. jeff daniels has the best 'cameo' in the movie, in my opinion.

Blind Side, surprisingly good for a sandra bullock flick! My gf wanted to see it and im glad we did...

[quote name='beach_BumX']An anime movie called Grave of the Fireflies. I really enjoyed it, and it made me tear up a bit at some parts.[/QUOTE]

Grave of the Fireflies is probably one of the most depressing movies that I've ever seen. The movie where nothing good ever happens. But the story is still really well told.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some how I missed this new thread.

Bruno - It wasn't as good as Borat but it was still awesome. Now go make an Ali G movie!

Sunshine Cleaning - A very solid movie with great acting. Sure the story was a bit thin but I would call it a must see.

The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard - It started very strong but as the movie progressed the cheese started overflowing out the sides. The Goods is an awful movie but I did find myself laughing rather hard at some stuff. See it if you are a Piven fan but watch PCU afterwords to get the bad taste out of your mouth.

L.A. Without a Map - A neat late '90's indie love story. It is what it is.

Food Inc. - Yet another one sided documentary that used a very large amount of stock video footage.
Living here in Iowa I know many farmers (My wife grew up in a farm town of 450 people) and this documentary is very lopsided. I built chicken houses one summer during college so I have been inside chicken houses and the one that the lady farmer owned are no longer used but for different reasons then she stated. The real reason why the open chicken houses aren't used is because the new chicken houses (the dark ones as they called it) are much safer with much better ventilation and that equals less diseases and a lower chicken fatality rate. On a side note the smell from the chicken houses is the absolute worst smell ever, even worst than hog lots.

Another major fail is the organic section of the movie. It didn't explore how these enormous 'organic' farms are not any safer for consumption or have any known health benefits than non-organic foods. On top of that some organic foods can be dangerous, large farm free range chicken eggs for example. And I won't even go into the soy seed fiascos that have gotten a ton of press here in the last ten years.

All in all Food Inc. had a few good messages but in the end it was yet it was exactly what it was preaching against; Not letting the people know the whole truth but only telling the people what they want the masses to hear.

[quote name='spoo'] The real reason why the open chicken houses aren't used is because the new chicken houses (the dark ones as they called it) are much safer with much better ventilation and that equals less diseases and a lower chicken fatality rate. On a side note the smell from the chicken houses is the absolute worst smell ever, even worst than hog lots. [/QUOTE]

I think you totally missed the point there... So, how much in debt are the farmers that you built these houses for?? Yeah, it's better because the higher ups made it a law and are FORCED to because they'll be fined if they don't "upgrade". The corporations are making money hand over fist while the consumer and farmer get assed out. Moreso for the Farmer since they have to do all the damn work for not only the consumer but the corporation they are stuck under.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I think you totally missed the point there... So, how much in debt are the farmers that you built these houses for?? Yeah, it's better because the higher ups made it a law and are FORCED to because they'll be fined if they don't "upgrade". The corporations are making money hand over fist while the consumer and farmer get assed out. Moreso for the Farmer since they have to do all the damn work for not only the consumer but the corporation they are stuck under.[/QUOTE]

I totally understand that point but I have a hard time with it because many of the film makers' points where making about animal safety and general health concerns. I know it is just a 90 minute documentary on a very, very complicated subject but you can't have it both ways. You can't argue for the farmer that doesn't want to upgrade because of costs but then later argue that food needs to be safer for consumption no matter the costs.

The film makers make some valid points in the 90 minutes but overall I was disappointed with a few segments that didn't fit in or the few segments that made invalid points. Because of some flawed reasoning it makes me question all the reasoning. With all the hype around Food Inc. I was expecting it to be...better but it seems that King Corn is the only must see food documentary.

You have to take these kinds of films with a grain of salt, but are you saying the companies that are getting money hand over fist can't help the farmers that are barely keeping afloat? I mean, I know they are a business to make money but no farmers, no supply, and no nothing after a while.

GI Joe.....it was entertaining but thats about it....5/10

Also, the nanomites or whatever is a direct rip off of fox dye (metal gear) and the cobra soldiers looked ripped from Army of Two

Lord of the Flies 1990 - I haven't seen this version since it was a new release but it still holds its own. I wouldn't call it better than the 1960's version but it stands on it's own for the most part because it doesn't follow the novel as closely.

Sorry for the Food Inc. hijack:
[quote name='VipFREAK']You have to take these kinds of films with a grain of salt, but are you saying the companies that are getting money hand over fist can't help the farmers that are barely keeping afloat? [/QUOTE]
I'm not making any statements on the where I stand on this issue, I'm just stating that the film has some inconsistent messages. You can't preach food safety and cruelty but also fight for the farmer that doesn't want to upgrade for safety an humanitarian reasons. It is a very complex issue but like any thing else in life you can't have it both ways. I am just giving some insight that I have seen and experienced first hand. I'm getting more and more annoyed with these documentaries that have plot holes larger than your average James Bond movie.

The Monster Squad - I bought it on blu-ray this week and this movie is still really good. Its fun to watch and its got a lot of really funny lines. Creature stole my twinkie.

Extract - 2/10- absolutely hated it. I didn't even crack a smile, let alone laugh. The pacing was too slow, all the characters were frustratingly stupid and the story was just awful.

Quarantine - Better than I was expecting. I don't want to say too much because the way stuff develops is pretty cool. Gah, there are things I want to say but can't. Look, don't pay $4 to rent it from BB but if you have Netflix, you can watch it instantly. I thought it was worth the 97 minutes.

Law Abiding Citizen

Good, liked the ending alot.

Even with all the destruction taking place, I found this movie rather boring. And I know we are supposed to suspend our disbelief when watching movies like this, but certain things in this movie had me rolling my eyes big time.

had a movie with some friends last night. we watched:

Tropic Thunder
The Hangover
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

i had seen all 3 before. they still all rule, and i recommend those 3 for a comedy movie night.

Fantastic Mr. Fox was great fun for both parents and kids.

Gamer was indescribably awful... impossible to understand or care about, and incredibly vulgar. Just total suck.

Conan The Barbarian - It was pretty dumb but Arnold punching a camel made it an instant classic. I totally lost my shit when that happened.

The Good Shepherd - A film in 15 decibels. This movie tries really hard to go for a Godfather level of epicness. It does a pretty good job. I think the movie's biggest problem is the dryness of the characters - everyone is really subdued for the entire film, which does not help in keeping it afloat for 3 hours. I didn't like Angelina Jolie at all.

Death Race - I did not like this. The only draw for the movie is actual Death Racing, but it's not entertaining enough to justify sitting through the insultingly stupid script.
Statham: Hey, I'm glad we had that little chat.
Other Guy: Yes. All that trying to kill each other just now was part of a plan we put together prior to the race.
And the "happy ending" has Statham working next to a psychopathic murderer for the rest of his life.

Towelhead - Hey, ever wanted to experience every awkward moment a 13-year-old girl could possibly have? Then this is the movie for you. This movie is great, and surprisingly funny, given the content.

Elmer Gantry - fucking horrible. Great acting, direction, and writing, all ruined by the ending. For whatever reason, this movie ends in a digital corruption around the 1:45 mark. Symbolic of the corruption of Elmer Gantry? I don't know - it's all too artsy for me. I don't even know how they filmed a digital corruption in 1960.

Earthquake - An alright movie supported by some really great special effects.

Bee Movie - Better than I was expecting. The lawsuit plot (about half of the movie) is terrible. Still, I found this to be more entertaining than Kung Fu Panda, which was better-received. Everything Patrick Warburton says is hilarious.

The Brave One - I kind of liked it, except the ending was terrible and screws up the rest of the movie (seriously, this time).

Rendition - About as good as you'd expect a major Hollywood film about a major, current political issue to be. Well assembled, but... undaring. The subplot as told was unnecessary, and seemed to exist only because the main story wasn't beefy enough. The movie's worst sin is that it's directed by Gavin Hood, who went on to direct X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Congo - You know what a good movie was? Aliens.

Black Sheep (1996, Chris Farley) - Terrible. It gets mentioned along with Tommy Boy a lot, but that's an insult to a much funnier movie.

Black Sheep (2006, Killer Sheep) - This remake was much better. Instead of a plotless political thingy, it's instead a perfect horror-comedy. I love that it's played so straight. The only returning actor from the 1996 version is Garey Busey, in the role of a murderous sheep.

crank 2 - 9/10 - this movie is just pure fun if you are into action. The blu ray looks friggin awesome.

ninja assassin - 8/10 - i was expecting just straight fighting but they talked which kinda killed the moments. The action is good but not really martial arts since everything they do is NOT possible with CG. also, the main actor is Rain (korean pop star) which surprised me. My girl was going nuts over this guy. I reminded her i am also korean...no response.

double jeopardy - 8/10 - somehow this movie still holds it down today. Saw this one on VHS!

Dewey Cox Walk hard - 9/10 - i had no idea what this movie was about and was just confused. Then the comedy kicked in HARD. it was just toooo funny! especially with that black guy on SNL (i forget his name).

[quote name='mr_burnzz']The blu ray looks friggin awesome.
[/QUOTE]

Why don't ALL movies look this fucking awesome? Not to mention fill the WHOLE damn screen.

bread's done
Back