Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

[quote name='Malik112099']what boggles my mind is that he still makes it into movies with big names after doing stuff like this[/QUOTE]

Has he made anything other than garbage so far... ?

[quote name='VipFREAK']Has he made anything other than garbage so far... ?[/QUOTE]

it's not your typical "great movie", but The Rundown was pretty GD entertaining and fun.

Jennifer's Body - Diablo Cody must have used up every cleaver phrase that she knew in Juno because everything that tried to be cleaver in Jennifer's Body became super cheese. If you are interested in seeing this watch Heathers or even the campy Jawbreaker instead.

[quote name='chimpster1313']it's not your typical "great movie", but The Rundown was pretty GD entertaining and fun.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. That was a very good action movie with great one liners.

planet bboy - 10/10 - a documentary about break dancers. they go into the lives of these bboys (international) and how they manage to struggle with their lives and getting into the biggest bboy event in the world, battle of the year. this movie depicts the "crazy" moves that most people associate with break dancers but i felt that it tried to show more of the non dancing side of their lives. i can even describe some parts of this movie as emotional and touching which really shocked me. I was expecting battles and stuff but got something very different. go watch it!

A Serious Man-Probably the most divisive film I've seen in years. It is fantastically well made but I'm not sure if I can figure out whether I enjoyed it. I think I would recommend it just because of the personal thought I've had to devote in trying to figure out certain scenes and especially the ending.
Fantastic Mr. Fox-THE best children's movie of 2009. I cannot recommend this movie enough. It was, to quote every goddamn film critic's headline in the world, fantastic.
Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans-One of my favorite films of 2009. I have really grown to dislike Nicholas Cage and his acting choices over the last few years but Lieutenant is a return to form for him. It's very hard to explain why this movie is so good but it just is. See this movie, you will probably be very glad you did.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Has he made anything other than garbage so far... ?[/QUOTE]

Be Cool
The Other Guys
Faster

and a few more coming up....i just dont get how he lands in movies with bigger name actors

World's Greatest Dad - liked it..a LOT....best robin williams movie i have seen in a while (minus seeing his junk)

Watched Police Story II last night, and I'm happy to say that it's just as good as the first.

I have my doubts about the goodness carrying over to the third installment though.

The Road - very good....post apocalyptic done well and realistic...i wish there was more detail on how the world became what it was but the actual story you follow is good...left me with odd feelings and I like when a movie does that

[quote name='Malik112099']The Road - very good....post apocalyptic done well and realistic...i wish there was more detail on how the world became what it was but the actual story you follow is good...left me with odd feelings and I like when a movie does that[/QUOTE]

Haven't seen the movie, but that would be due to the source material. The book gives no indication of what caused the apocalypse.

Ichi -Film about Zatoichi's kid (though he never had one in the films that I recall). If it wasn't for Riki Takeuchi and all of the other actors seriously overacting the villain parts, this movie would be perfect. That being said, its a great flick either way and it's one of the better entries in the Zatoichi series. Haruka Ayase did an outstanding job as Ichi. Though I understand some complaints in that the didn't make her into a serious bad ass (as in the later Zatoichi films), people seemed to have over looked that this was an origin story and Zatoichi was a bit fragile in the early films. Looks gorgeous on blu-ray. Though some stuff is eh, I think it's a must watch even if you don't like the Zatoichi flicks. Hopefully this is a concept that they go back to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFSN5AF2Zq8

A Serious Man - good flick....drama about a man's life falling down around him when he thought everything was fine...has some good dark comedy in it too....very good watch for those that like dialogue driven movies

Three comedies in two days:
Funny People - I absolutely loved this movie. A great mix of drama and comedy. I loved the cast and I can't believe it it came from nearly the same talent as the god awful You Don't Mess with the Zohan. Funny People ranks as one of the best movies I have seen from 2009. The only downfall is that it does go on about 15 minutes too long.

Hangover - Yet another generic comedy that is 95% recycled materiel. Not a bad comedy forsay it's just a boring 'saw that coming a mile away' sort of comedy. It had a few funny parts but the majority of the jokes you can see a mile away but not one gut busting laugh. I may have liked this a tad more if I didn't watch Funny People the night before or Very Bad Things ten years ago.

Escanaba in da Moonlight
- Many belly laughs, Jeff Daniels with another great comedic performance. I expected nothing from this and came away pleasantly surprised. If you are a Netflix subscriber check this out on instant queue.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Watched Police Story II last night, and I'm happy to say that it's just as good as the first.

I have my doubts about the goodness carrying over to the third installment though.[/QUOTE]

Supercop is badass. You shouldn't worry about anything ;)

Law Abiding Citizen - was great up until the ending. Its almost as if the director didn't have the balls to pull off the "right" ending.

Funny People - should be called unfunny people. This was such a boring movie that I ended up falling asleep about 30 minutes into it.

[quote name='Mex25']
Funny People - should be called unfunny people. This was such a boring movie that I ended up falling asleep about 30 minutes into it.[/QUOTE]

You did realize who the "funny" people were in it right... ? Anyway, could've told ya that would happen.

[quote name='Mex25']Funny People - should be called unfunny people. This was such a boring movie that I ended up falling asleep about 30 minutes into it.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed it. I saw it as a light hearted look at a guy facing the end of his life and dealing with regrets. I can understand how someone would go into it thinking it was suppossed to be a full on comedy and coming out disappointed.

[quote name='VipFREAK']You did realize who the "funny" people were in it right... ? Anyway, could've told ya that would happen.[/QUOTE]
Pretty much nobody from what I've seen.......unless you count sandler who was funny back in the 90's.

[quote name='Malik112099']I enjoyed it. I saw it as a light hearted look at a guy facing the end of his life and dealing with regrets. I can understand how someone would go into it thinking it was suppossed to be a full on comedy and coming out disappointed.[/QUOTE]
I guess I can see how some people would like it but the trailer was a little misleading in that it made the movie look like another comedy flick.

[quote name='Mex25']Funny People - should be called unfunny people. This was such a boring movie that I ended up falling asleep about 30 minutes into it.[/QUOTE]

Adam Sandler being in it should have been your first sign of it not being funny.

9 - Disappointing. I thought it was too blunt until the end, which was just weird. It's an alright adventure, I guess, but I didn't feel that it had "enough" of anything.

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - I don't know why I watched this. I don't have any particular appreciation for The Beatles, or much familiarity with the celebrities. That said, I don't think this movie lives down to its reputation. Sure, it has no plot, but that's not really the point. If you want to see a bunch of famous people from the 70s covering Beatles music, this movie has it. Steve Martin's Maxwell's Silver Hammer was pretty good, at any rate.

Daybreakers - Really, surprisingly good. It has an awesome premise, and the plot allows for some satisfying exploration of the interesting world the film sets up. It's got some stupid moments that are kind of unavoidable using classic (and then some) vampire mythology, and the movie loves cheap scares (even though it's not a horror movie). But it's an original, well executed vampire movie, which is saying something.

Fatal Attraction - Eh. Basic Instinct wins.

Revolutionary Road - April (Kate Winslet) really bothered me in this. She's supposed to be feeling trapped in suburbia, but I thought she came off as crazy. That might just be the male perspective - identifying with Frank as his wife goes off the rails for no apparent reason. The guy at the end seems to have the right idea (
He turns down his hearing aid as his wife starts ranting, although I guess that's missing the point
).

The Book of Eli - I thought it was awesome. The religious aspects were really satisfying - I felt it spoke to the power of faith, more than the facets, which kept the movie appealing for the non-religious (me). The only part of the movie I really disliked was Mila Kunis - it's not that she's a bad actress, she just cannot fit into that world. I liked her in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, so I don't know why she keeps signing up for action roles that are out of her range. It's her looks more than anything, but I guess her valley girl voice doesn't help. Anyway, I thought the ending was really satisfying - discussed in spoilers -
It's a pretty awesome realization that he's blind, and he's been echo-locating the entire movie. It adds depth to a lot of the scenes. He kept pressing the play button on his iPod, because he couldn't see the dead battery symbol. In the shoot-out, he only shot at people after he heard them shoot. And he shot that guy in the crotch because he heard him unzip his pants.

Sherlock Holmes - It was okay

Daybreakers - Pretty good, I enjoyed it.

Spy Next Door - Can't resit anything with Jackie Chan in it :lol:

daybreakers - good movie. Not enough killing.

dusk till dawn - great movie. now this had just the right amount of killing. I hated the characters who die out of stupidity.

Finally got around to watching Avatar; it was pretty damn cool!

Went in with low expectations as I'm not a fan of most big-budget movies, and I was blown away. The 3-D actually helped immerse myself in the new world.

Snatch - I thought it was kinda stupid. Too many characters and most did not get enough screen time. I liked Vinny Jones and Brad Pitt but there was not enough of either. Jason Statham was a waste, he didn't do anything. The guy is a badass, make him a badass in all his movies.

[quote name='Mex25']
I guess I can see how some people would like it but the trailer was a little misleading in that it made the movie look like another comedy flick.[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen it yet--still on a wait on Blu on my Netflix--but that's why you can't just go by trailers.

Got to read a couple reviews, impressions in threads like this etc. for movies that aren't an absolute must see so you're expectations are in check going into the film.

Sherlock Holmes - Must say I was a bit disappointed, was expecting better.

Big Stan - Came across this by accident on the movie network today, wasn't nearly as horrible as I thought it would be (it's still horrible though). David Carridine is awesome, and I also love me some Jennifer Morrison.

[quote name='Pavel6969']Sherlock Holmes - Must say I was a bit disappointed, was expecting better.
[/QUOTE]

Kinda getting tired of Downey Jr. Him and Johnny Depp need to mix it up. Skip a blockbuster or two and do a low key project, pretty much what Val Kilmer did to revitalize his career.

I knew that movie would suck by just seeing the previews. It doesn't have any of sherlock holmes in it either. A "modern" sherlock reply would just be an excuse.

The Book of Eli - quite good, actually. the action sequences are varied enough in their time in the movie as well as what kind of action they present, so it never feels like there is too many or too few of them, and the story and climax are also quite great. if i were to have one complaint, and it's a minor one, i felt like mila kunis was out of place in this movie. everyone was so GD ugly and seemingly war-torn, and she's still a beautiful flower in the middle of an utter shit wasteland. not that i'm complaining about her beauty, but it was just very noticeable. or maybe that was the intention, was for her beauty to stick out and show that beautiful things do still exist. i don't know. that's open for interpretation.

either way, great flick.

Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel - pretty entertaining movie. I like Chris O'Dowd from The IT Crowd and I think he did a good job in this flick.

CJ7- It was an okay movie, it wasn't terrible, and it was better than some of his films from his heyday. People complained that there wasn't enough Stephen Chow, but for this movie it was enough, since he wasn't the lead.

Hurt Locker-- was like a Modern Warfare sidequest movie about EOD tech/bomb squad in Iraq. Nice. Jeremy Renner would be a intense Hawkeye. Also rewatched

Disturbia yesterday second time since purchase many moons ago. Taper Jeaned Girl by KOL never gets old. DJ Caruso is a capable director and Rear Window is a timeless premise.

Book of Eli-- its been said before but this is a early year treat. Almost like a graphic novel come to life. And the end pretty much guarantees you will want to see the movie at least one more time to rediscover the hidden gems you were given all throughout.

Book of Eli: Visually reminiscent of Fallout 3. I enjoyed the action, bits of humor, and performances by Gary Oldman and Denzel Washington. I felt glad
there was something worth traveling for '30 winters' when Eli reached the west coast and ocean. I love The Road, but if there was nothing for Eli when he reached the west coast, and the movie faded to a depressing, sorrowful ending, I wouldn't have enjoyed the film as much. Sometimes, a happy ending is a good ending.

The Hitcher - 3/5 - Rutger Hauer is a badass. I don't know if I really loved the ending but enjoyable film. Half way through the film I thought there was a chance it was going to end like Haute Tension which would have been a disappointment.

Couples Retreat - 3/5 - Vince Vaughn on an island with Malin Akerman. Has some genuine funny moments but overall I do not think it was a great romantic comedy or a great story about the truths in relationships. The one good thing about the film is Faizon Love is back!

bread's done
Back