Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy at a $6 special. Worth three times the amount! If I were to compare it to your 80s scifi movies, it would stand a hefty chance. But comparing it to every other comic book movie I saw in the last decade, beats them up and stomps on their head, especially Man of Steel.  Great use of surround sound btw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw 3 movies today:

Ninja Turtles - Meh. The Turtles were ugly but their personalities were OK. Problem is, the film lacked quiet moments with the Turtles themselves. One of the big reasons everybody loves the first movie was because there were tons of small scenes where the Turtles showed off their personalities and how they interacted with one another. In this film, the main plot started almost immediately with no chance to breathe. I do think Megan Fox was good, though.

Expendables 3 - Pretty good film. The new guys seemed underutilized and Wesley Snipes was wasted, but that final battle rocked. Did not expect the Captain Planet reference.

Guardians of the Galaxy - Awesome from beginning to the end. Can't really think of a negative.

Rarely in a non-chick flick movie these days do I see the importance of the Power of Friendship. It may be corny and sentimental, but trust is something people don't really understand anyway.

I loved that they got Michael Rooker and Sharif Atkins from White Collar. Rooker was really entertaining.

Agreed, I hated the first and begrudgingly watched the second and was pleasantly surprised. And unless they add tons of shit not in the book, the next 2 are gonna suck.
I disagree that the next two will suck. I think that Part 2 will be better than Part 1 for the last third of the book, though I think Part 1 will set a lot of people off for the non-action that would be in most of that part of the book.

Expendables 3 when Sly is the Flash in disguise and and everyone in his crew is invincible.
The Hangover the credits is da best.

What am I not seeing in the new Spider-Man movies? They're much better than the first trilogy, these movies nail the characters in a way the first ones never did.

There are small issues, but the first trilogy had them too.

The new spidey movies have some really bad writing and the villains are terrible. Also the first one was hardly fun or light hearted.

I didn't like the Lizard model but liked everything in the sequel. The writing is fine to me, again, in comparison to the first trilogy.

What is regarded as one of the best comic book movies, Spider-Man 2, I thought they totally misfired with Doctor Octopus and wasted him.

Overall, I like these new ones much better.

The characters transition into villains seems rushed each time and they don't stand out in any way. I don't care for comparisons to the original trilogy especially since superhero movies have come a long way since then. Amazing Spiderman 2 was a step in the right direction, but still not a great movie.

The original trilogy was dark and angsty. That, more than anything else, is why people prefer that one. True Art is Angst after all.

The Amazing Spider-Man was to me, pretty damn boring.  It had no right to be 2 hours long.  If I remember correctly, I had a problem with the overall pace of the movie and lack of action.  I'm not saying it had to be a non-stop roller coaster ride, but there just wasn't enough of it.  I also felt many of the scenes suffered from being too long and could have been condensed for better pacing.  I have yet too see 2, but I probably will by this weekend.  Hopefully it's better than the first, which I'm sure it will be.

I'm not sure how too comment on the original trilogy.  I enjoyed 1 and 2.  Even some of 3 was entertaining.  I personally loved sandman and I'm not sure if he needed anymore screen time then he received.  I'm not sure how actual Spider-Man comic fans would feel about his interpretation since I've never read any Spidey comics.  Venom was miscast unfortunately and I felt  James Franco was as well.  I also enjoyed Doc Oc in 2.

It's just my opinion of course and like I stated earlier, I have no prior Spider-Man comic reading experience to compare the movies to.

I'm with you on the first part of the post. I thought Amazing was awful. It moves in short unpredictable bursts and the dialogue was bad.

I liked the original movies better. My rank is 1>3>2.

The new Spider Man movies have the worst pacing ever.  2 felt like they had a bunch of scenes filmed and didn't know what order to put them in so they just threw darts at a board.  Also the fact I had to sit through an origin story again (even though it was slightly different) made the first one boring as shit.  The villains in both movies were one dimensional and had awful motivation.  The scripts overall were very poor too.

Foreign Correspondent:

One of Hitchcock's earlier films. The film has extremely well done setpieces especially the whole
plane crash
sequence which is amazing even today.

I hated Spider-man 3. From the mopey Spider-man, to the musical song and dance number, to someone scrawnier than Tobey Macguire as Venom. I think he would have worked as Carnage. The whole resolution with Sandman was bad too. They could have done so much more with the third movie.

I hated Spider-man 3. From the mopey Spider-man, to the musical song and dance number, to someone scrawnier than Tobey Macguire as Venom. I think he would have worked as Carnage. The whole resolution with Sandman was bad too. They could have done so much more with the third movie.
I remember watching in theaters on opening weekend and getting really sleepy halfway through. My friend had to wake me up and explain what happened in the car...

The new Spider Man movies have the worst pacing ever. 2 felt like they had a bunch of scenes filmed and didn't know what order to put them in so they just threw darts at a board. Also the fact I had to sit through an origin story again (even though it was slightly different) made the first one boring as shit. The villains in both movies were one dimensional and had awful motivation. The scripts overall were very poor too.
It's not too late to bring Meguire back and do a "deminsional crossover", killing Amazing(heroic death), and moving on to a middle aged Spidey. The original trilogy runners learned exactly what did and did not work, then Sony killed the franchise after the highest grossing movie. How has that ever made sense, even in Bizarro Hollywood.

Watched The Tortured. Decent "gross revenge movie" until the end. The end twist was moronic, like a different writer did the last ten minutes of the movie and didn't read the whole script.

So, I guess it really did end up sucking in the end.

at the end they show they may have hurt, but its not clear, the wrong guy, but that means: 1.) The parents are so dumb they didn't remember what their sons killer looked like, 2.) The other prisoner randomly guessed the name of the dead child, or remembered nothing but the name for some reason.

It's not too late to bring Meguire back and do a "deminsional crossover", killing Amazing(heroic death), and moving on to a middle aged Spidey. The original trilogy runners learned exactly what did and did not work, then Sony killed the franchise after the highest grossing movie. How has that ever made sense, even in Bizarro Hollywood.
The backlash from emo Spidey killed the franchise.

Rashomon:

I thought it was genius how Kurosawa doesn't give you a definitive version of the events and just leaves it up to the audience.

So, Amazing Spider-Man 2 was definitely better than the 1st. If I gave 1 a 2.5/5, I'd have to give 2 atleast a 3.5/5.  The pacing was much better and I only suffered while watching the slow Peter Parker/Gwen Staci scenes.  A bit long, but it made you suffer less for it's length then 1.

Electro seemed a bit over the top, but I have seen a few images of what appears to be a similar looking version in the comics.  The rubber suit, though, was a bit dumb and I don't get how he traveled through power sources with it on.  Also, when he first shows up I sort of wondered if it had turned into an Infamous movie...  Still I loved his powers.  Harry Osbourne/Green Goblin seemed fine I guess.  No comments for now.  Rhino was god awful, holy shit lol.  What a horrible design.  If they ever did a part 3 and brought the sinister six into play they would have to replace the current Rhino with a proper version.  That might be the plan all along. 

I heard of Gwen Staci's death in the comics, so you kind of felt it coming near the movies end.  It was a bit brutal watching it.  I was wondering why Dennis Leary was in this movie.  Yes, the first movie was so boring that I forgot he played Gwen Staci's father..

How have you gone so many years without even seeing any spelling of Gwen Stacy?
I wasn't sure of the spelling and I didn't want to bother looking it up at the time. Did I not mention a few times that I've never read any Spider-Man comics? The only anime series I've ever seen was the one from the 90s, but thanks for being my personal spell-checker.

You could've visited your local library for Spider-Man comics, that's how I read that entire arc from the 1970s.
I've heard quite a few people mention the library as a good source for comic book reading. I have no passion to actually do it, but it's good to know if I ever changed my mind.

I have never read a single Spider-Man comic and only knew anything about him when I was a kid from the 90's cartoon and I still knew all about Gwen Stacy.

I have never read a single Spider-Man comic and only knew anything about him when Ibws a kid from the 90's.cartoon and I still knew all about Gwen Stacy.
Shit, you're right. I should have known then.

Edit: Enough about Spider-Man for now.

I wanted to mention a movie I saw recently titled Locke, staring Tom Hardy. A friend recommended I watch it and I found it quite enjoyable. I'd give it a 4/5, but it's not for everyone.

The Maze Runner - 2/5 - This film was laughable.

As Above, So Below - 5/5 - This film scared the f_ out of me! Not suitable for children or teen. Its 21+ over to view this content. Overall, I really enjoyed it!

The last movie i saw was the tmnt movie in 3d.. i thought it was ok, but my wife liked it even though she doesn't really know the story behing tmnt..i thought they may have overdone the jokes (seemed kinda lame)

I like how each of the Turtles had more than enough moments to show their personality. I enjoyed the movie a lot but then again, I've never been a hardcore TMNT fan so don't share the complaints as most of them too. To somebody who only played one video game and watched one cartoon series growing up, the movie was good.

Black Rain, the Ridley Scott movie starring Michael Douglas and Andy Garcia in Osaka, Japan was on the other day. Amazing how Yakuza 2 even got that atmosphere as well.

CUNY TV was showing the Swedish Wallander telemovies, not my cup of tea. Surprised what happened to the actress who played Linda Wallander.

Riddick - Dialogue was laughable, CGI effects were lame and the first half of the movie was boring and cheesy. At least it had Batista 2/5
I agree, the first half was so pointless. What a waste of a movie. The worst part IMO, was when Riddick tells the female crew member what he'd do to her after he escaped. Not only was it offensively over the top, but pretty damn embarrassing to watch.

Edge of Tomorrow (2014)
star.png
star.png
star.png
star.png
star_off.png

Action-Comedy | Sci-Fi
staring Tom Cruise

I was really apprehensive of seeing another Tom Cruise sci-fi movie after Oblivion (2013), but this one actually kept my attention through the end (every new CG scene was awesome). Never understood how the conflict started though.

Do you mean the war or the time loops? The war us just your standard "aliens want to conquer/kill/dominate humans" backstory.

Ya, I'd like to see a prequel detailing [customspoiler=" Edge of Tomorrow "]first contact with the aliens[/customspoiler], but heard the movie bombed badly.

bread's done
Back