Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

Fargo:

Loved it. Everyone in it was great,along with the usual dark humor that the Coen brothers love to have in their films.

From Here to Eternity:

Deserved it oscar wins. Phenomenal performences from everyone,along with having such well done characters.

The Guest - Good throwback film with a cool soundtrack. Totally different type of film from Drive but will at the same time remind you of it so much.

The Guest - Good throwback film with a cool soundtrack. Totally different type of film from Drive but will at the same time remind you of it so much.
Saw this recently as well, really liked it too.

Also saw Gone Girl recently, really good. I wasn't expecting it to be so good. And how it all ends, wow!

The Interview ...j/k

Watched Let's Be Cops tonight...not bad, felt a little long.

Aww.. 3/5 into the woods? I love the musical...so I'm probably gonna hate the movie version.

I didn't know Into the Woods was a musical. Perhaps instead of a big budget movie crammed with CGI, they should've had the actors perform it in a modified stage with practical special effects and film that.

Caught up on a short backlog.

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes - 4.5/5 - For the most part, I really enjoyed this movie.  I'm glad they acknowledge the prequel in some way and mostly do a good job of advancing the timeline from where the first left off.  The one thing that bothered me was:
The "Ape Virus" felt like a bit of a crutch for explaining how humans were dwindled to such a small population. I can forgive it for the most part, because I would probably have a harder time accepting another scenario, considering humans outnumber them by billions.

Guardians of the Galaxy - 3.5/5 - Unfortunately, I was really expecting it to be great and it turned out "just okay".  Not bad though, considering it's meant as an introduction to this group of characters.  I hope the sequel does a good job of building on this.  I hope to learn more about Star Lord.  It makes me want to read the comics.

X-Men: Days of Future Past - 4/5 - I have never read the original comic book storyline so I can't compare the two.  This definitely feels more like a First Class sequel, which I loved.  I don't know what, but something felt like it was missing.  More storyline maybe? It could be what felt like a lack of characters that should have made appearances.  Quicksilver was great; his wig is horrendous.  I was afraid I would be turned off by Jennifer Lawrence because of over saturation, but I still enjoy here very much as Mystique.  I'm glad they fused all X-Men properties and made one fluid continuity.  Looking forward to what I assume is an AoA storyline.

The Expendables 3 - 2.5/5 - I get exactly what I want from this series.  Lots of action icons from the 80s/90s making cameos.  Makes me nostalgic and there's nothing like a big dumb action movie as a pallet cleanser.

How To Train Your Dragon 2 - 4/5 - This movie lived up to my expectations where the first fell a bit short.  The animation was stunning.  The one thing that I hated was:
They killed off Stoick. It's the only downer moment in the movie for me personally.

Captain America:  The Winter Solider - 4/5 - Marvel does a great job with it's movie universe IMO.  Chris Evans always does an amazing job playing Captain America.  I'll be sad to see him give up that role after 3.  I'm excited to watch the next Avengers movie and how the two characters at the end of this film play into it.

Jersey Boys - 4/5 - Wow, what a great watch. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it was fun learning about The Four Seasons. 

TMNT (2014) - 2.5/5 - Didn't hate it. Didn't love it.  I hated the design choice they made for the turtles.  It could have been a MUCH better film.  Nothing against Megan Fox, but they could have obviously made a better choice for the role of April.  It was okay for what it was.

Sin City: A Dame To Kill For - 3.5/5 - Mickey Rourke stole the show.  The first movie was better overall, but that's probably because the stories being told were more interesting.

I must be the only person who thought days of future past was grossly over hyped - don't get me wrong i really like it, it's the whole importance mystique gets through the film really bothered me. I'm not the biggest Jennifer Lawrence fan, she's just alright. 

Recently checked out John Wick.  Thought it was going to be a generic action movie but ended up being really damn good.

Troll Hunter -- 4/5. Great Flick, but make sure you avoid the English dub -- it's crap. Watched it with my eldest son -- he loved it.

He's getting old enough that I can start showing him some of the (PG/PG-13) classics I grew up with: The Goonies, Gremlins, Strange Brew... regretting the last one as now he tells everyone to "Take off, ya hoser!"

Guardians of the Galaxy + Q&A w/ Director James Gunn & Host Jeff Goldsmith - 5/5

Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb - 3/5

American Sniper - 5/5

Last edited by a moderator:
Nightcrawler 4/5  Slow build but the last 30 minutes was pretty amazing. Gyllenhaal absolutely owned that role.  Deserves Oscar consideration.  Creepiest character on film in quite some time. 

The Interview - 6/10, not as funny as the usual stuff by these guys. The controversy was taken way too out of hand. 

Lucy - 5/10 - This was a pretty bad film, didn't like it at all. Could have been so much better.

Gone Girl - 8/10 - This film has certainly put me off marriage for a few more years haha.

Angry Video Game Nerd Movie - While not perfect and some of the humor wasn't to my taste, I enjoyed it overall. Though the ending kind of fell apart once they went to green screens and models.

14 Amazons. Holy crap this is one of the most brutal kung fu films I've seen in a while. It's about the revenge of the widows of a prominent family of warriors and they wage war against the barbarians that threaten their country's borders. Nobody in the movie gets away unscathed and people can get decapitated, disemboweled, and get their chests crushed at the firing of an arrow. It does have 1970s fx, but it doesn't make those old stories about warfare any less terrifying or valorous.

Most insane part of the movie was definitely the human bridge sequence, and how the hell they got out of it. That takes some training.

The Thing (1983) - first time seeing it. Awesome.
Check out the original The Thing from Another World which is also great.

Angry Video Game Nerd Movie - While not perfect and some of the humor wasn't to my taste, I enjoyed it overall. Though the ending kind of fell apart once they went to green screens and models.
The bad green screens and models were kinda of the point. It's a homage to what you would see in B movies.

The Drunken Master - 9/10 

Awesome film. I can't believe I never watched this film until now, such a fun movie. 

First date with my wife was watching Fellowship way back in 2001. We've seen every LOTR movie in the theaters since then. It's become full circle with the final Hobbit movie. Kinda bitter sweet.

Saw the final Hobbit film. Enjoyed it but thought the big fight scene was underwhelming. I would have liked more screen time with the entourage themselves. Felt like they made the first film so much fun but were disregarded in the 2nd and 3rd film. 

The Equalizer - really enjoyable but could have been cut 10 or 15 minutes. I hear Man On Fire is better so I should get to watching that.
It'll depend on taste. I would say there's more substance and the motivation seems more real.

Just saw Tusk, i dont even know what to say. Im so grossed out now lol
Can't wait to watch this.

What about Into The Woods?

No wait, that was terrible too.
Have you not seen The Tourist!?

No, but seriously, I'd have to check a list of what he's done in the last 5 years to say he hasn't been in a good film recently. I'm hoping I will like The Woods.

The Babadook- 8/10   was good, more of a symbolism story with some really good suspense, not that scary but it was a good one

The Guest- 9/10   really cool 80s B movie action/thriller. Self-aware and its fun and funny.  Goes from a normal movie to balls out craziness. dat synth soundtrack

Princess Mononoke A very violent Studio Ghibli film, no wonder Disney originally put this under Miramax the first time around. It echoes the same themes as Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and could be seen as a prequel of sorts.

Guardians of the Galaxy 3D - Third time watching, first time in 3D. The 3D added quite a lot, IMO. Not so much in the pop-out-at-your-face effect, but it really enhanced the feeling of the enormity of the world.

Watched before these got pulled off Netflix:

Big Trouble in Little China - Pretty entertaining. Holds up pretty well for a movie from the mid-80s. I can see why it's a cult hit.

Expendables 2 - Arnold can't even act as a tough guy character. Too little Terry Crews. (Never watched #1 or #3)

Expendables 2 - Arnold can't even act as a tough guy character. Too little Terry Crews. (Never watched #1 or #3)
This movie is a waste of Terry Crews' talents and I don't mean this:

A7fzhFB.gif

bread's done
Back