Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

The Narrow Margin:

A classic noir.

Scaramouche:

Has one of the best sword fights in a film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuSU9mdm-Lg

Really impressive stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pitch Perfect - After hearing so many good things about this movie, I went in expecting to like it but came out hating it.  It was boring, unfunny, Anna Kendrick's relationship with that guy was cheesy as shit, the whole underground acapella culture was totally ridiculous and unbelievable and all the acapella puns were groan worthy.  And who cries at the end of The Breakfast Club?  It's not that emotional.

Man On Fire

I turned this one off at the 100 minute mark. I just couldn't finish it. HATED the wonky shaky opening sequence, hated the subtitles on certain random dialogue, the cinematography for the most part was absolute crap with jarring effects and sloppy editing. The Equalizer is SO much better. 2/5

McConkey

Amazing documentary on an extreme sports pioneer in skiing and BASE jumping. The stuff this guy and his friends were doing is amazing. I am always blown away by people who push the edge of what humans are capable of. Check this out if you want a little insight into the mind and lives of extreme sport athletes. 4/5

Interstellar - 7/10. I thought it was grossly over-hyped. It was alright, the central performance by Mathew 'alright-alright - McConaughey was great but I had problems with the script. I felt that the son was an ancillary character and it could have done without him, instead using that time developing Murph's growing problems with her dad. 

Interstellar - 8/10  I really enjoyed it quite a bit. Yeah there was some problems, but I was heavily invested in it while I was watching it. I prefer Inception though over it. 

In contrast to Clyde above, I watched Interstellar last night and loved it. It just hit the right notes for me. McConaughey turned in an awesome performance and the tension was good. Mind bending space travel and exploration of the unknown were just right.

That said:

Matt Damon took me out of the action for a bit. It was too jarring to see him show up, and of course his character ends up being an intergalactic dickhole of the highest possible order. I suppose his whole sequence was to prove a point about evolution being uneven or messy, which was fine.

Also:

I thought the ending sequence starting with the black hole was really well done. Farfetched, sure, but I expected a cop-out ending where Cooper becomes the martyr to save all mankind. The fact that he survived was cool IMO. And I'm usually a fan of the good-guy-dies scenario.

Worth a watch. Much better than that Sandra Bullcock Gravity shit.

Oh; last thing:

The robots were pretty cool. Early on I felt there was a threat that they might go all Skynet on the humans, but they turned out to be really chill. :)

I wasn't impressed with Interstellar personally. Found it to be incredibly predictable
when they say there's three possible planets, of course it's going to be the last one they check. Matt Damon lying was also pretty obvious.

It looked nice though.

White Zombie:

One of the first zombie films ever made. Other the atmosphere and some shots, I thought it was shit. The acting is horrendous(Bela Lugosi is good). Then the narrative which is extremely weak. The zombies themselves were creepy though.

I live in the area where they filmed the chase scene and I call bull on it. Then again earlier in the movie, Popeye and his partner dragged a dude from Bushwick to East Harlem. WTF.

And did you notice that Popeye lives in the Projects?

Interstellar

I didn't know what the hell was going on. Time travel movies leave me confused and frustrated. All that space lingo ticked me off. If it wasn't for Ann Hathaway's cute self I would've turned this off at the 2 hour mark.  2.5/5

I live in the area where they filmed the chase scene and I call bull on it. Then again earlier in the movie, Popeye and his partner dragged a dude from Bushwick to East Harlem. WTF.

And did you notice that Popeye lives in the Projects?
That didn't take away from the scene for me. The same thing happens in the famous Bullitt car chase.

I did notice that about Popeye,I thought that was pretty strange.

I looked it up, and there was a time when the police were allowed to live in the projects for reasons of affordability and such. Believe it or not, White People, like Italians and Irish, regularly went to the projects. Somethings must have happened in those four decades where public housing became only for the "lowest of the low" when it could've clearly supported the middle class. Of course one can say living stuffed in apartment buildings hasn't gotten much better considering how people are now willing to live in deathtraps 20 stories from the ground and are shelling out half their paycheck for them.

Mutiny on the Bounty(1935 version):

Excellent production values. Has a lot of great performances too.

The Wages of Fear:

I prefer the remake "Sorcerer" over this.Both are masterpieces though.

Finally watched Interstellar, but some asshole kept cutting onions though.

Yeah, Jason Bourne was a little jarring, but overall, I'm glad there was somewhat of a happy ending. I guess we won't need a sequel because we already know that he's going to find Selina Kyle and bring her home

Lucy was fun too...kinda like the action version of Powder.

John Wick is next.

9104031998_9939fbc21c_b.jpg

Wayne Brady, please stop harrassing women on the street. Wayne Brady, you are a squirrel and she is a human this isn't going to work. Charlie Sheen, you are a dog and she is a human this also isn't going to work. Would... guys, could you stop trying to put your dicks into something of a different species for five seconds and tell me why you're all dressed like Nazis?

Birdman - Pretty good. I got bored a bit during the beginning, not sure why. Otherwise it was a really good movie. 

Birdman

I have mixed feelings on this one. On one hand, I love the way the film is shot. It really gives you that voyeuristic vibe as if I'm controlling a RC plane with a camera attached to it. I had no problems with the casting and screenwriting too.

But on the other hand, I was not a fan of the underwear scenes. There were two of them, one in the changing room and one outside the theater. It's not a film I would watch with friends or family. There was also a scene with tons of explosions and fake CGI which completely took me out of the movie experience. It was really odd and almost ruined the movie for me. Fortunately it only lasted for a couple of minutes.

3/5

Age of Ultron - 9/10. It was thoroughly entertaining and I enjoyed it very much, wish it was longer. Despite some flaws I thought it was much better than the first one. I can see people having issues with it but as a casual viewer I enjoyed. It pretty much sticks to the Marvel formula but that doesn't bother me. 

Age of Ultron - 9/10. It was thoroughly entertaining and I enjoyed it very much, wish it was longer. Despite some flaws I thought it was much better than the first one. I can see people having issues with it but as a casual viewer I enjoyed. It pretty much sticks to the Marvel formula but that doesn't bother me.
Is there a credits or post credits scene?

Is there a credits or post credits scene?
I didn't stay through all the credits since I heard there's no post cred scene but did till the mid credits scene. It's only like 10 seconds long, pretty much in the same vein as the mid credits scene as the first avengers.

For what it's worth the audience at my screening seemed to really respond well to the film. Definitely not like the negativity on the imdb boards.

Whats everyone's opinion on Jared Leto's Joker?

Jared Leto's Joker is what I expect from Jared Leto.

Oh I have little hope for the Suicide Squad movie as well. I just watched Assault on Arkham and can't see those stupid WB movie execs doing any better than the animated division's 70 minute movie. I mean look what they did to Man of Steel.  CCH Pounder and Kevin Conroy for the win. A bit odd to see Deadshot so cool outside of Arrow, considering I thought he was a schmuck in that getup in City. Man, when the hell did Joker learn martial arts? I always thought he was a pretty savvy guy, just not somebody to be so skilled in combat.

I don't really feel strongly either way about the color thing. It improves some scenes, but not others.

Also Jared Leto will probably shirtless for a lot of the movie, so that's pretty stupid.

Everyone hated Ledger as Joker too before they saw it. Let's just all relax and see what the finished product is.
Didn't realise that Ledger got a lot of hate pre-release. I actually liked it from reveal. I'll give this the benefit of the doubt but as initial impressions go it's not good.

bread's done
Back