Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

[quote name='Tsel']At the time, I didn't think it was anything special, but I've literally been running through a bunch of the scenes in my mind ever since I watched it. That one right there is definitely one of them. He was probably my favorite character.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed the movie but didn't, until this moment, realize that was Chris Evans. Awesome! his stock just went up a whole new level with me ^^

[quote name='VipFREAK']The Darkest Hour - 4/10

Even though it was just like ur typical Armageddon/War of duh Worlds movie I give it a little credit for being a little original in the enemies and all, but the ending was asine stupid. I see a sequel possible too which lowered the score. Nice to see Olivia Thirlby.[/QUOTE]

fuck this movie. fuck this movie in the ass. So bad. Sooooo bad.

There is this point in the last fifteen minutes where the two main characters (male and female) are 200 feet from the submarine they intend to reach. A nearby building collapses and the boat they're on tips over. Everyone from the boats swims to the submarine and climbs on... except the girl. A flare shoots out... FROM HALF A MILE IN THE CITY.

WTF?!

How did the hell did this chick end up half a mile away from her group when they both fell in the water at the same place? I was legitimately angry at this film as it ended.

Yeah, that's why I said the ending was lame. Actually, it makes war of duh worlds (aka aliens chasing cruise) and other movies like it more believable.

[quote name='VipFREAK']The Darkest Hour - 4/10

Even though it was just like ur typical Armageddon/War of duh Worlds movie I give it a little credit for being a little original in the enemies and all, but the ending was asine stupid. I see a sequel possible too which lowered the score. Nice to see Olivia Thirlby.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Golden Idol']fuck this movie. fuck this movie in the ass. So bad. Sooooo bad.
There is this point in the last fifteen minutes where the two main characters (male and female) are 200 feet from the submarine they intend to reach. A nearby building collapses and the boat they're on tips over. Everyone from the boats swims to the submarine and climbs on... except the girl. A flare shoots out... FROM HALF A MILE IN THE CITY.

WTF?!
How did the hell did this chick end up half a mile away from her group when they both fell in the water at the same place? I was legitimately angry at this film as it ended.[/QUOTE]

based on what I'm seeing in here and the trailer I thought this might be good to watch when some people were coming over last night. It was perfect. A great movie to talk through. Good enough to watch, bad enough to openly comment on as it's running. The actual creature design was pretty interesting
until we see what they look like, it was better when they were actually creatures MADE of energy. Instead they just made them creatures with shields made of energy
. I haven't been that surprised by an alien design since Attack the Block.

But honestly, I thought it actually was a pretty decent movie until that terrible ending. I mean seriously they went from holding hands to a half mile away in 20 seconds. Speaking of which
I've seen good open endings (The Matrix, and Terminator 2 for example) so I can tolerate a "the fight has begun" ending but
this ending was just bad (like Skyline).

-----
2j1sufc.jpg

Can I also quickly chime in that Chronicle was surprisingly bad? I can't remember where I just read it but someone pointed out that unlike say Cloverfield, this movie uses the found footage technique but omits the part about the footage being found. In Cloverfield the camera is found, in this movie some of them aren't. I didn't like that. Especially when the first camera was destroyed. It doesn't make sense that I'm seeing footage that was completely destroyed. There were other problems as well but I thought the FX were good, the characters were good, the story (start to finish) was (sum total) decent. I think I wouldn't have had such an issue if they had done a mix like say District 9 which was partially based on "footage" and partially just telling a story. I kinda wanted all this footage to end up being like a library archive of where our greatest SuperHeroes "The Mighty Trio" came from or something like that
at one point I was really hoping this would end up being the footage found that tells the tale of how the villain came to power, maybe the Hero releases this footage to show why the Villain became evil. I held on to that hope until pretty much the end of the movie
. Something to explain WHY I'm watching all of this video footage. short version is that it does nothing of the sort.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's cool, glad it went well. Yeah, they had some really interesting ideas that could've been really uniquely good then they threw it all away in the end.

[quote name='lorne']No spoilers please.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the warning...I almost read their posts. Luckily saw your post before theirs. Threw them both on ignore until I watch the movie so I don't accidentally read their spoilers.
[quote name='Wolfkin']
Can I also quickly chime in that Chronicle was surprisingly bad? I can't remember where I just read it but someone pointed out that unlike say Cloverfield, this movie uses the found footage technique but omits the part about the footage being found. In Cloverfield the camera is found, in this movie some of them aren't. I didn't like that. Especially when the first camera was destroyed. It doesn't make sense that I'm seeing footage that was completely destroyed. There were other problems as well but I thought the FX were good, the characters were good, the story (start to finish) was (sum total) decent. I think I wouldn't have had such an issue if they had done a mix like say District 9 which was partially based on "footage" and partially just telling a story. I kinda wanted all this footage to end up being like a library archive of where our greatest SuperHeroes "The Mighty Trio" came from or something like that
at one point I was really hoping this would end up being the footage found that tells the tale of how the villain came to power, maybe the Hero releases this footage to show why the Villain became evil. I held on to that hope until pretty much the end of the movie
. Something to explain WHY I'm watching all of this video footage. short version is that it does nothing of the sort.[/QUOTE]
I actually really liked it personally. I know they don't really give a good reason for us seeing a lot of their footage (the whole ending was through news cameras, so that makes sense at least), but I found the movie to be really interesting regardless. It was something different for a superhero kind of movie.

I don't know if anyone would call them the greatest heroes though, seeing as
Only one of them could kind of be seen as a hero. One died without really doing anything heroic and the other was pretty much a villain.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol.

Best of the series by far, and one of the better action movies I've seen lately.[/QUOTE]
I saw that the other day too, but I ain't gonna lie, 2 is still my fav due to the sheer ridiculousness of it.:lol:

I agree that Ghost Protocol is a pretty solid action flick though.

The original was still my favorite. It has aged surprisingly well and has the distinction of being an action movie where the main character doesn't fire a gun even once.

Something I miss from 3 and 4 which was present in 1 and 2 was a moment toward the end where Ethan Hunt starts running and the theme starts pumping up. I know that's a generic description but if you watch the movies again I think you'll be able to pick out what I'm talking about. Its a great moment in the first 2 that sadly isn't duplicated in 3 and 4.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']The original was still my favorite. It has aged surprisingly well and has the distinction of being an action movie where the main character doesn't fire a gun even once.

Something I miss from 3 and 4 which was present in 1 and 2 was a moment toward the end where Ethan Hunt starts running and the theme starts pumping up. Its a great moment in the first 2 that sadly isn't duplicated in 3 and 4.[/QUOTE]
Holy shit, you're right! But he certainly made up for it in 2.

[quote name='dohdough']Holy shit, you're right! But he certainly made up for it in 2.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I remember it being pointed out to me a long time ago and I always thought it was kind of cool for an action movie to be able to pull that off. He holds a gun a couple times and even points it at people but he doesn't fire one single shot throughout the entire movie. Now, the next 3 movies he more than makes up for it by single-handedly recession-proofing an entire ammunition factory but still it does show how unique the first one was.

Yeah, that was a cool thing about the first one, which is my 2nd favorite in the series.

I do like the whole series though. I enjoy 2 as I like John Woo action flicks for the pure cheesiness of them. Three I thought was solid, and that Hoffman was great as the villain.

[quote name='dohdough']I saw that the other day too, but I ain't gonna lie, 2 is still my fav due to the sheer ridiculousness of it.:lol:

I agree that Ghost Protocol is a pretty solid action flick though.[/QUOTE]

2 was beyond awful.

I remember seeing it in the theaters, to this day I cannot believe that scene where cruise and thandie's share a smoldering eye lock as their cars careen off the mountain cliff. Also the scene where they sword fight with motorcycles somehow managed to be less believable then Torque.

smh

[quote name='whoknows']I don't know if anyone would call them the greatest heroes though, seeing as
Only one of them could kind of be seen as a hero. One died without really doing anything heroic and the other was pretty much a villain.
[/QUOTE]

It wasn't about them being heroes all said and done per se. But at about half way thru the movie when they're developing their powers. That was when I kinda hoped what would happen was that it would end up with them coming out with their powers. Maybe to save people from a building or something, and then we flash forward and we see school kids going thru a museum seeing the history of these heroes with "this movie" playing on monitors. I was thinking this before
the first kid died
. They were actually mostly balanced as a team. If they had done that then I understand why everything is just "camera footage" because that's what they would show in the museum or whatever. Of course it just becomes moot for reasons noone cares about unless you saw it.

I'm thinking back now and I literally can't think of any other "found footage" movie where there isn't an implied or explicit viewer for the footage.

Anyone seen Project X? I was supposed to see it at a screening and ended up missing it. After Chronicle I'm a bit worried about another "found footage" real life super powered teens flick. just a bit.

[quote name='camoor']Also the scene where they sword fight with motorcycles somehow managed to be less believable then Torque.
[/QUOTE]wasn't the bike scene in 3? I haven't seen them in a long time but I always preferred 1 > 2 > 3. Just found out someone I know on twitter likes them 3 > 2 > 1.

[quote name='camoor']2 was beyond awful.

I remember seeing it in the theaters, to this day I cannot believe that scene where cruise and thandie's share a smoldering eye lock as their cars careen off the mountain cliff. Also the scene where they sword fight with motorcycles somehow managed to be less believable then Torque.

smh[/QUOTE]
tumblr_m1d1en3Ion1qegw8v.gif

[quote name='Wolfkin']It wasn't about them being heroes all said and done per se. But at about half way thru the movie when they're developing their powers. That was when I kinda hoped what would happen was that it would end up with them coming out with their powers. Maybe to save people from a building or something, and then we flash forward and we see school kids going thru a museum seeing the history of these heroes with "this movie" playing on monitors. I was thinking this before
the first kid died
. They were actually mostly balanced as a team. If they had done that then I understand why everything is just "camera footage" because that's what they would show in the museum or whatever. Of course it just becomes moot for reasons noone cares about unless you saw it.

I'm thinking back now and I literally can't think of any other "found footage" movie where there isn't an implied or explicit viewer for the footage[/QUOTE]
I don't think I would have really liked it if it went that way personally, it sounds really really cheesy. None of them wanted to be heroes anyways from what I can remember, they were just messing around and having fun with the powers they had. I actually really liked that it didn't do that and instead did something sort of different. It was all just fun and games until one of them took it too far because he felt he had no choice..
I don't think the last guy would have ever revealed his powers if his friend didn't go crazy. I get the feeling he only did it because he felt he had to

[quote name='VipFREAK']I know Battleship isn't out yet, but can we give it a -1000000000000000/10 or epic fail now... ?[/QUOTE]

No, because if we get Liam Neeson yelling at the aliens "YOU SANK MY BATTLESHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!" then the entire movie will be worth it.

ah shit liam neeson is in that shit?fuck man cmon youre better than that id rather see a taken 2 that see him in that film. taken is so damn awesome. i will hunt you , i will find you and then ill kill you......good luck.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']No, because if we get Liam Neeson yelling at the aliens "YOU SANK MY BATTLESHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!" then the entire movie will be worth it.[/QUOTE]

They don't say the phrase in the movie once.

You couldn't pay me to see Battleship. I hate those kind of movies.

[quote name='camoor']What's better?[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen it yet, so I can't say, however IMO X-Men 1/2/First Class and Spider-Man 1/2 are better than the Marvel Studios movies.

I haven't been to the theaters in awhile sadly. I'm hoping to see The Cabin in the Woods, The Avengers, The Dictator, and that Chernobryl movie thise month.

[quote name='whoknows']I don't think I would have really liked it if it went that way personally, it sounds really really cheesy.[/QUOTE]sure sure and for the story maybe it wouldn't have turned out that way. I'm perfectly happy with the story it was great, best part of the movie by far. But my alteration to the ending would have fixed the one glaring flaw "found footage" that was never /found/. It didn't have to be a museum of heroes it could have been a kid discovering his grandfather's collection of DVDs or what have you. Police records of what happened in the "Chronicle incident". Last night I had an idea where
it's the dead kid who is trapped watching his life but can only see thru the eyes of eletronic recordings
Anything to show me WHO was watching this footage.

Outside of that I'd have been perfectly happy if they had just shot the film normally rather than obsessing over the cameras. For instance the kid has this giant professional camera yet
cheerleaders call him creepy like he's using a cell phone for upskirt shots. On top of all the people (most not everyone but most) who apparently just ignore the giant camera casually unless they're important to the story/char development

They could have taken a lesson from Tarnation which is functionally this same technique but it's real. Some gay kid really used to tape himself like an emo kid and he stitched 10 years of footage into a movie about his crazy-sad life. #FilmClass

----
30cm907.jpg

Finally showed Johnny English Reborn to my Mom once I skipped past dudes hitting each other in the crotch we all actually had a good time. I thought it was a stupid stupid movie for a sequel and it was utterly fantastic.

----
9iwx8k.jpg

Gambit (1966)
Who knew Michael Caine wasn't always old? I remember hearing about this reading a review of Cougar Town and figured i'd check it out. It is a bit dated but only a little bit. It's mostly a very entertaining heist romp and I loves me a heist movie.

[quote name='bobo2k4']Hell and Back Again - Documentary on a Marine who got hurt in Afghanistan.[/QUOTE]

Man, that was quite a movie...
I dunno what's more effed up his head or his leg.

Man on a Ledge - My girlfriend and I went to a free showing in an auditorium to see this. I was expecting a pretty slow and lackluster movie, but I enjoyed the comedic bits and the nonstop suspense. I was honestly surprised to see it only got a 31% on RottenTomatoes. This seemed like one of those movies where users would hate it, but critics would love. I was dead wrong on that one, at least from my perspective.

My wife and I saw the Cabin in the Woods last weekend. It was not was I was expecting but I thought it was a great movie. Honestly it was one of the most funny movies I have seen all year
when the unicorn kills the guy I couldn't stop laughing same with when Thor kept bouncing down the canyon :applause:
. I am actually looking forward to possibly seeing this movie a second time.

I re-watched Thor, in preparation of The Avengers, and it was about still my 2nd LEAST favorite new Marvel movie (behind only the 2009 Hulk).

I watched X-men First Class, and that movie was far better that the last trilogy of them and I can not wait to see what they do next with that series.

Grizzly Man.

Entertaining documentary about Timothy Treadwell, the whack-job who lived with grizzlies in Alaska for several summers before finally getting eaten by one.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Grizzly Man.

Entertaining documentary about Timothy Treadwell, the whack-job who lived with grizzlies in Alaska for several summers before finally getting eaten by one.[/QUOTE]

Spoilers!

But seriously. It's a very good documentary everyone should show their kids. No violence or blood but some cursing. Sad film.

It was a big news story, no need for spoilers. I'm usually one to always use them, but this is a doc people watch because they want to see the story of the weirdo who got ate by bears he lived with. :D

Also, it's revealed very early in the film, so it's not like it's a huge surprise at the end or anything. As well as being mentioned in the Netflix description:

"Renowned nonfiction director Werner Herzog chronicles the tragic and untimely death of outdoorsman Timothy Treadwell, who devoted his life to studying grizzly bears living in the Alaskan wilderness -- only to have one of them maul him to death."

Last edited by a moderator:
Uncanny timing that you posted that a minute after I added the netflix blurb! :D

I watched it on Amazon streaming--their blurb doesn't mention his death though. I have a disc only Netflix plan as I don't watch streaming enough to pay for it (have Prime for shipping and the Kindle lending library).

bread's done
Back