Surprisingly the Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='crystalklear64']Anyone see Coraline yet?[/QUOTE]

Yes I went to go see Coraline 3D a few hours ago. It was much creepier than The Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride but it it was missing that certain charm that they had. I give it a thumbs up but it is far from being a masterpiece like the two previously mentioned movies like I was hoping it to be. With that said go see it for a good time at the movies. Unless you are taking some kids to see Coraline be sure to go to the late show.

Coraline should seriously be called Psychonauts: The Movie. I hope someone will agree with me on that.

It's also leagues ahead of Nightmare and Corpse Bride, and I absolutely loved the latter. That's subjective of course, but I always get the feeling with Tim Burton that he's Disney in the sense that the movie sometimes feels like little more than a vehicle for the songs. That's not necessarily bad, but after seeing it so much in movies, it feels gimmicky. Coraline doesn't feel like this, and has the added bonus of the music being really damn good, right on down to the TMBG's inspired ditty on the piano.

Great characters, brilliant animation, wonderfully imaginative. Again, this is what Tim Shafer would make if he were in the bidness.

Emo kids got a new movie to champion.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']Saw V- barf[/quote]

Hah, I just watched that too. They should be given an award for the Saw series, something like special achievement in surprising the audience. Just when you think they can't get any more terrible, a new Saw raises the bar for utter shit.

Aw, I actually liked Saw II, but it went downhill (or, more apt, went off a cliff) right after that.
I saw this movie called "Swimming With Sharks"- it came out about 15 years ago and stars Kevin Spacey as the worst boss ever. It was surprisingly funny and well-acted, with a disturbing but good ending.

[quote name='Danterandal19']I saw this movie called "Swimming With Sharks"- it came out about 15 years ago and stars Kevin Spacey as the worst boss ever. It was surprisingly funny and well-acted, with a disturbing but good ending.[/quote]

that's one of my favorite movies ever.

Paul Blart: Mall Cop (2009)

This was funnier than I thought it was going to be. I really like Kevin James in general, anyways. Much better than the last couple of Happy Madison films. Kevin James pretty much carries the comedy, in this good parody of action films like Die Hard and Rambo. It's already grossed triple its budget, so I await the sequel(s).

Coraline (2009)

I saw the 3D version of this. This movie was absolutely brilliant. The most beautiful and creepy at the same time film I've ever seen. Such a wonderful, crazy, and original plot. I'm a grown man, so I wouldn't say this actually "scared" me, but it scared me more than any horror film I've seen in a very long time. I imagine parents bringing their under 10 year olds to this, and being very pissed off, because I would probably have shit myself if I saw this when I was 6 or whatever. I loved this so much more than The Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride. Seriously, it was that good. I can't wait to get this on Blu-ray and watch it again and again. If you like animated films, 3D films, visually stunning films, or truly creepy films, go see this movie.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Hah, I just watched that too. They should be given an award for the Saw series, something like special achievement in surprising the audience. Just when you think they can't get any more terrible, a new Saw raises the bar for utter shit.[/QUOTE]

LOL
Right on the money. I'm glad they rushed through the sequels, that way we don't have to suffer a crappy new addition every 3 years. If you're going to eat a shit sandwhich, you might as power it down and not look back.

[quote name='Danterandal19']Aw, I actually liked Saw II, but it went downhill (or, more apt, went off a cliff) right after that.
I saw this movie called "Swimming With Sharks"- it came out about 15 years ago and stars Kevin Spacey as the worst boss ever. It was surprisingly funny and well-acted, with a disturbing but good ending.[/QUOTE]

Saw I was... okay. Danny Glover FTW.

Swimming with Sharks is an awesome film. Spacey really shines as the king of despicable bosses.

oops, double post.

[quote name='Danterandal19']Aw, I actually liked Saw II, but it went downhill (or, more apt, went off a cliff) right after that.
I saw this movie called "Swimming With Sharks"- it came out about 15 years ago and stars Kevin Spacey as the worst boss ever. It was surprisingly funny and well-acted, with a disturbing but good ending.[/QUOTE]

Saw I was... okay. Danny Glover FTW.

Swimming with Sharks is an awesome film. Spacey really shines as the king of despicable bosses.

Recent viewings:

The Wrestler = 7.5/10
Helvetica = 7/10
Man on Wire= 6/10
Full Metal Jacket = 9.5/10

Swimming with Sharks is a great movie... its been replayed alot on HDnet movies recently... I just upgraded my old dvd to the new SE. Oh the paper cuts!!!!

As for me... Midnight Run... solid film, very good (although some of the reviews I saw for it made me expect more.

[quote name='whoknows']Pink Panther 2 - Funny stupid humor. I really enjoyed it.[/QUOTE]

I have to go watch that tomorrow. Hopefully his stupid accent will humor me enough throughout the movie to keep me awake.

Cold Prey

cool little slasher flick from Norway. They do a lot of things right. The two girls, though still attractive, look like real girls. Everything they do is plausible and fits in with their characters. It takes place in a hotel/ski lodge that actually looks like an actual hotel. Plus, the cinematography is really good. One of the best slashers I've seen in a long time

Last edited by a moderator:
Hostel
Hostel II
The Omen

The Hostel movies are so much better than Saw. They make no attempts at "intelligent" plots and just go straight for the gore, they way Saw SHOULD do it.

Azumi 2 - 9/10

I LOVED the first one and this is just as good! Has the ball and chain chick from Kill Bill too! Just as dirty a biotch too!

[quote name='mr ryles']I have to go watch that tomorrow. Hopefully his stupid accent will humor me enough throughout the movie to keep me awake.[/quote]

I'm totally dumb founded as to how they didn't learn from the first one and still decided to make a second one...

Max Payne - Not as horrible as I thought it would be however some of the story line changes made me scratch my head(why was beginning of the story placed in the middle of movie). Another thing is why was Bravura saying not to shoot Max(when in the game he doesn't believe for a second max is innocent and is constantly gunning for him) and why didn't Max pop any pain killers? I also feel they should have done more with bullet time it was a huge part of what made the game awesome! Where was the monologues? I loved that about the game as well how the story boards were like a noir graphic novel. Overall it was a better than Hitman. Someday there will be a good video game movie.

Always meant to see Stardust, as I enjoyed the book (even if it was too brief).

Watched "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" yesterday. Exceptionally good, and I say that as someone who can't stand the sound of Jimmy Stewart's voice.

[quote name='yukafls']Wasabi, was pretty good but I would watch it in french the english dubed over is weird.[/quote]

Wasabi is the shit. I've watched it a few times of the years. One of my favorite Jean Reno films. Jean Reno in Japan, kicking ass.. how can you go wrong?

[quote name='VipFREAK']Azumi 2 - 9/10

I LOVED the first one and this is just as good! Has the ball and chain chick from Kill Bill too! Just as dirty a biotch too![/QUOTE]

Cool to hear. I have that coming in mail.

[quote name='chimpster1313']Clean, Shaven.
[/QUOTE]

Did the film ever stop jerking off to its art-$$$-ness?

My friends and I couldn't finish it because it seemed to love just showing off how schizophrenic the character the actor was playing was.

Space Battleship Yamato: The Movie - It sucked, but eh, you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes for a class. I wouldn't have watched this otherwise. I hear that the actual tv series is better, since of course it isn't condensed, but this one was just terrible. Simply far too abrupt, no character development, lack of coherency, etc.

[quote name='Strell']Coraline should seriously be called Psychonauts: The Movie. I hope someone will agree with me on that.

It's also leagues ahead of Nightmare and Corpse Bride, and I absolutely loved the latter. That's subjective of course, but I always get the feeling with Tim Burton that he's Disney in the sense that the movie sometimes feels like little more than a vehicle for the songs. That's not necessarily bad, but after seeing it so much in movies, it feels gimmicky. Coraline doesn't feel like this, and has the added bonus of the music being really damn good, right on down to the TMBG's inspired ditty on the piano.

Great characters, brilliant animation, wonderfully imaginative. Again, this is what Tim Shafer would make if he were in the bidness.

Emo kids got a new movie to champion.[/quote]

I thought that piano music sounded familiar to me.

I was, as were those that saw it in the theater with me last night, unprepared for the artistic renditions of a certain point in the movie. And "for those in the know" at the final curtain. Brilliant!

Taken. Just well done. Wasted no time getting into the story. And wasn't overly long. Crisp action scenes made me think of Bourne Ultimatum on a smaller scale sans irritating shaky cam.
Only irritating thing was who I went with that made me late. The first scene I saw was Liam BBQing with some old coworkers. If I missed anything substantial could someone pm me what I missed?

Stardust - 8/10

Not quite sure how I feel about this movie. There were some funny parts, but there was also some WTF moments like someone has been doin a wee bit too much crack. I will say Michelle Phiffer will continue to scare me.

[quote name='jlarlee']Taken. Just well done. Wasted no time getting into the story. And wasn't overly long. Crisp action scenes made me think of Bourne Ultimatum on a smaller scale sans irritating shaky cam.
Only irritating thing was who I went with that made me late. The first scene I saw was Liam BBQing with some old coworkers. If I missed anything substantial could someone pm me what I missed?[/quote]

Nah, (very minor spoilers)
IIRC we just saw him a buy a gift for his daughter, and show up at her party, only to be up-shown by her step-father who gave her a horse.

Paul Blart - was pretty bad but had a few chuckles in there

Doubt - well acted....leaves you thinking about stuff.....probably WAY better as a play though

Soul Men (2008)

Two former backup soul singers, Louis Hinds (Samuel L. Jackson) and Floyd Henderson (Bernie Mac), who have not spoken to each other in 20 years, reluctantly agree to travel across the country together to a reunion concert, to honor their recently deceased lead singer. This was a lot funnier than I thought it was going to be. Jackson played his usual comedic version of his tough guy character, but Bernie Mac, who usually irritates me, was especially funny.

Flash of Genius (2008)

True story about the life of Robert Kearns, who took on the Detroit automakers, namely the Ford Motor Company, whom he accused of stealing his idea for the intermittent windshield wiper. Greg Kinnear gives a powerful performance, playing the unusual man, Robert Kearns. It's a brilliant story of how Kearns was completely unrelenting in his pursuit of his recognition, and outing Ford as the evil company they were/are, and how this greatly affected his family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back