Surprisingly the Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got around to watching I Am Legend last night. I didn't really like the two different endings. It made it too much like a choose your own adventure story they were so different. If I had just watched one and never thought to try the other, I probably would have enjoyed the movie a lot more.

But for the record, I liked the theatrical more than the alternate one.
The alternative ending was too cheesy, and plus with him not killing himself or finding the cure, what really made him a 'legend' like the title states?

Into the Wild - I enjoyed it, beautiful camerawork and very good music. Why Chris thought Alaska was a better idea than say, some super-secluded woods out in Washington state, I'll never know.

[quote name='Halo05']Into the Wild - I enjoyed it, beautiful camerawork and very good music. Why Chris thought Alaska was a better idea than say, some super-secluded woods out in Washington state, I'll never know.[/quote]

Go to Alaska and you'll know.

[quote name='rabbitt']Atonement

Excellent.[/quote]

I enjoyed the first act (
gotta love any British period pic in which the C word plays a major role
), but after that it just fell deeper and deeper into cliche and melodrama. The ending was so heavy handed and trite that I kept having to ask my wife, "Did they really do that? Really?"

Didn't help that we saw it immediately following "The Diving Bell & the Butterfly," which was an infinitely better film.

[quote name='Tybee']Go to Alaska and you'll know.[/QUOTE]

Too cold, I live in Virginia and hate the winters as it is, no way I'm going anywhere colder.

My point was mostly that there are isolated places in North America that aren't freezing cold in addition to being isolated.

[quote name='Tybee']I enjoyed the first act (
gotta love any British period pic in which the C word plays a major role
), but after that it just fell deeper and deeper into cliche and melodrama. The ending was so heavy handed and trite that I kept having to ask my wife, "Did they really do that? Really?"

Didn't help that we saw it immediately following "The Diving Bell & the Butterfly," which was an infinitely better film.[/QUOTE]

I slept through the last half hour of the movie. I woke up for the very end, which I felt could have been left off. So, what I meant to say was "What I was awake for was excellent." :D I really liked the camera style and the multiple perspectives it took on.

This past week I saw the first two Bourne movies. Hopefully I'll catch the third by the end of this week. Good stuff.

I just watched Southland Tales. I have no idea what the fuck that was.

Thank You for Smoking. Entertaining movie and I liked how the movie was about the power of language.

Waitress - Mixed movie for me - I couldn't stand the characters and was disgusted by their actions. I didn't feel sympathy for anyone in that movie.

Jet Li's Fearless - Was expecting it to be more dramatic (something like Hero), but it was just an old school kung fu movie.

I didn't think The Departed was as good as everyone raved it to be (not sure if it was because I saw infernal affairs). IA seemed to be more grittier/moodier/more cinematic. I didn't feel Leo's fear or weariness of being an undercover cop; Tony Leung looked more vunerable. However Matt Damon's character was more of an ass than Andy Lau's. I also liked how they developed the role of the psychiatrist.

Simpsons Movie was mediocre.

It takes more than one viewing of a movie to move it into my top 10.... it has to hold up over repeated viewings like Pulp Fiction... certain movies wow you the first time, but seeing as youve seen it already, lose a little bit the second time

As for myself, watched one of the true all time classics last night: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest in HD.... this movie never gets old, gotta love HDnet movies, they play better stuff than the "premium" channels like HBO

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Finally got around to seeing Pan's Labyrinth.[/QUOTE]

D'joo like it? I need to re-watch that one again sometime soon, as I enjoyed it the first time through.

As for me...Oldboyhttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364569/

I like when later parts of a film can change how you view previous scenes:
The sex scene between Dae-su and his daughter made me grit my teeth a little.
It was a pretty decent revenge film that portrayed itself as more complex than it actually was (that's Korean film for ya).

[quote name='rabbitt']D'joo like it? I need to re-watch that one again sometime soon, as I enjoyed it the first time through.

As for me...Oldboy

I like when later parts of a film can change how you view previous scenes:
The sex scene between Dae-su and his daughter made me grit my teeth a little.
It was a pretty decent revenge film that portrayed itself as more complex than it actually was (that's Korean film for ya).[/quote]

I think it was a bit too hyped for me (even Netflix recommended it at 4.7 stars, just behind There Will Be Blood at 4.8). It was decent, but it wasn't the most amazing thing ever. Gave it four stars.

[quote name='jngx80']Waitress - Mixed movie for me - I couldn't stand the characters and was disgusted by their actions. I didn't feel sympathy for anyone in that movie.[/quote]

In case you didn't hear, the woman who wrote and directed this (it was her first time directing) who also played the awkward friend in glasses, was murdered shortly before the film was released. Pretty sad. But yeah, the film was kind of mediocre.

Incidentally, Vanilla Sky is cinematic diarrhea.

There Will Be Blood 5/5

This movie is beyond words, a true cinematic masterpiece. One thing I would particularly like to note is the Musical Score, it was extremely well done. It sent chills down my spine then and now just thinking about it, it does the same.

El Orfanato (The Orphanage) 4/5

This was a great movie, while it is not the cinematic masterpiece that Pan's Labyrinth was, but it is still a solid move from Guillermo Del Toro. This was one of few movies that actually made me scared it. It was a great combination of Psychological horror as well as jump in your seat moments.

However, I couldn't help but notice several scenes were vary similar to "Sixth Sense" and "Poltergeist".

Stuck in a hotel in beautiful downtown Scranton for most of the week, but at least they had HBO:

The Good Shepard (Much better than I was expecting.)
Galaxy Quest (Hysterical, even after repeat viewings.)
Disturbia (Meh.)

Also, it's not a movie but I got to see the new George Carlin special and I LMAO'd.

Carver was a decent slasher/gore flick.

Outpost is a good action/horror movie. Definitely worth a rent if you are into that genre.

Death at a Funeral is a good comedy. Had a lot of laughs watching it and I will say its one of the best comedies I have seen in a long time.

[quote name='darthbudge']
El Orfanato (The Orphanage) 4/5

This was a great movie, while it is not the cinematic masterpiece that Pan's Labyrinth was, but it is still a solid move from Guillermo Del Toro. This was one of few movies that actually made me scared it. It was a great combination of Psychological horror as well as jump in your seat moments.
[/QUOTE]

del Toro only produced that

Eastern Promises - I was expecting more ass-kickery. That being said, I think it was better the way it was, incredible movie despite (or because of?)
being exposed to tons of Aragorn's flopping dick

[quote name='naiku']Carver was a decent slasher/gore flick.

Outpost is a good action/horror movie. Definitely worth a rent if you are into that genre.

Death at a Funeral is a good comedy. Had a lot of laughs watching it and I will say its one of the best comedies I have seen in a long time.[/quote]

I'll second Death at a Funeral.........didn't go into it expecting much, but I laughed quite a bit more than expected.

"it's touch and go!"

Atonement 4/5

It was a good movie, the cinematography and the art of it all was excellent. I wish they would have had more WWII scenes, as I thought those were the best. Overall it was a great movie.

Sunshine

I really really liked the whole style of it, and god damn if it wasn't one of the prettiest Blu-Rays I've seen, but
why the fuck did they have to add a random slasher section. Pointless.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Sunshine

I really really liked the whole style of it, and god damn if it wasn't one of the prettiest Blu-Rays I've seen, but
why the fuck did they have to add a random slasher section. Pointless.
[/quote]

Yup, everybody feels that way. I just saw it myself about a couple weeks ago. The whole movie is on par with a 2001: A Space Odyssey, when all of a sudden, logic and rational thought get thrown out the movie.

Anyway, I just finished War, the movie with Jet Li and Jason Statham, and boy did that suck. Terrible. All I wanted was for some good action/fight scenes. It seems like they can't even deliver on that today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back