Surprisingly the Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
La Haine.

Everything about this film was absolutely stellar. Also, I felt that it has relevance today because of its themes such as racism, power, injustice, and violence.

Definitely check it out if you have not.

Truth in 24

Good for people who love racing. I don't follow American Le Mans series too closely, I just knew that the Audi R10 TDI was the first diesel to win Le Mans and Audi won Le Mans a lot. (7 out of the 8 past years).

The movie follows briefly through Audis disappointing 2008 race season and mainly focuses on the 2008 24 hours at Le Mans race. Peugeot just released their own diesel car in 08 and begins to dominate the 3 year old Audi diesel. Overall a good documentary. Its narrated by Jason Statham which is sorta funny.

[quote name='Razzuel']La Haine.

Everything about this film was absolutely stellar. Also, I felt that it has relevance today because of its themes such as racism, power, injustice, and violence.

Definitely check it out if you have not.[/quote]

That's one of my all time faves. I first took it out from the library on accident, but then instantly fell in love with it and bought a copy at one of the DD sales. Such a great movie.

I caught I Love You, Man. I thought it was pretty funny. The first half was a little too awkward Meet The Parents-esque humor for me. Anyone else catch it?

Did anyone else see the ad with the hamsters before the movie, for the Kia Soul? Haven't been able to get the song from it out of my head since I saw it on Friday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxYyvwQxBdw

I've seen some really good movies recently:

Raising Arizona
A Clockwork Orange-wow, what a beautiful piece of art!
Kramer vs. Kramer
I love you, man- This movie was really, really, really funny!

If you haven't done so, I highly suggest your read the book. I don't care what anyone says the movie is a disservice without the last chapter being part of the film.

bhc.jpg

Beverly Hills Chihuahua - Much better than the Air Buddies (puppies) in space.

[quote name='homeland']If you haven't done so, I highly suggest your read the book. I don't care what anyone says the movie is a disservice without the last chapter being part of the film.[/quote]

Yea I agree it was still a good movie.

Synecdoche, New York (2008)

I don't know where to begin to describe this film. "Mindfuck" is a huge understatement. This movie gets your mind drunk, beats the shit out of it, and then rapes it. It's more than genius, it's genius in everything it does, and everyway way it does it. It's super-genius. Its total originality was the single most impressive thing to me. You have never seen a film like this before, (and if you have, please tell me about them). If you liked Being John Malkovich, Adaptation., or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, or just plain brilliant and original films, you'll love this. And if I haven't hyped this enough for you, this is my new #1 for 2008, every other film from 2008 is nowhere near the level of perfection in this masterpiece.

Black Snake Moan - 7/10

Ya know... I don't usually like Samuel L. Jackson, I sure as hell hate that douche Timberlake, and well... Ricci doesn't do anything for me, but this was a completely different movie than I though it was. It was also a very suprisingly better than I thought. I was thinking it was going to be like another stupid Tarantino film. Dunno wtf their problem was though...

[quote name='MisterModest']Synecdoche, New York (2008)

I don't know where to begin to describe this film. "Mindfuck" is a huge understatement. This movie gets your mind drunk, beats the shit out of it, and then rapes it. It's more than genius, it's genius in everything it does, and everyway way it does it. It's super-genius. Its total originality was the single most impressive thing to me. You have never seen a film like this before, (and if you have, please tell me about them). If you liked Being John Malkovich, Adaptation., or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, or just plain brilliant and original films, you'll love this. And if I haven't hyped this enough for you, this is my new #1 for 2008, every other film from 2008 is nowhere near the level of perfection in this masterpiece.[/quote]

did you get that
He was really his wifes housekeeper who in real life was a lesbian in love with his wife? And the daughter was never eal but just represented the child she never had and even if she had a child she would fail and have a fucked up kid?

The only reason I have this is from researching online. After watching the movie I appreciated it, though I had no fucking idea what happened, and my wife hated it. If only I did drugs I might have actually understood it better.

Watchmen was the last flick I watched.

I did not enjoy it one bit, except for the guy who played Rorshach. Everything else was GARBAGE.

Stop directing, Snyder!

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']
I did not enjoy it one bit, except for the guy who played Rorshach. Everything else was GARBAGE.
[/quote]

Watch Little Children. Guy is fucking awesome in that. If you can play a child molester and have viewers feel sorry for your character, you deserve an Oscar.

Dying Breed - Dying Breed is about a girl who goes to Tasmania to research about this extinct tiger which is supposedly still around. To make the long story short, she goes there with some friends and hillbillies make the whole trip uncomfortable since the hillbillies worship 'Pieman'; an old 1860s convict who so happened to be a cannibal. Dying Breed has creepy hillbillies, dude from Wolf Creek, and one creative death makes the film worth while. It is too bad its not over the top gory which probably would have made it more amusing or the story could have been more engaging which in turn would have made it a better Thriller or added more suspense to the film. Overall a decent horror film 3/5

Knowing- It was pretty good until the ending. I mean wow, WTF were they thinking? It's like they were making the movie and then went M. Night Shymalan and said "We have this good movie that has the potential to end on a good note. Can you give us a retarded ending with a twist that will ruin the movie? Thanks"

I know he had nothing to do with it, but still. It was that stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the point of the ending was making people in the theater laugh, then yeah. It worked well.

EDIT: And to be clear I'm specifically referring to
The aliens. The everyone on earth dying thing was pretty cool and epic. The aliens were not.

"In the Line of Fire"

A movie from 1993 with Eastwood and Malkovich.

I came in with low expectations, but it surprisingly didn't suck. Malkovich did a great job and Eastwood seemed perfect for the roll. It was kinda cheesy at parts and predictable, but I liked it anyway.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']Eagle Eye- Not as Bad as I thought it would be. Was entertaining if nothing else.[/quote]

Why was Floods banned? For liking Eagle Eye? (taste that bad is almost criminal)

[quote name='whoknows']If the point of the ending was making people in the theater laugh, then yeah. It worked well.

The aliens. The everyone on earth dying thing was pretty cool and epic. The aliens were not.
[/quote]

I'm actually glad I read your spoiler. That is terrible.

[quote name='camoor']I'm actually glad I read your spoiler. That is terrible.[/quote]

Agreed as well. Though, its a Nicholas Cage movie,you have to expect that at least some part, if not all of the movie to suck.

[quote name='whoknows']If the point of the ending was making people in the theater laugh, then yeah. It worked well.

[/quote]

You missed the point of the movie dude...those weren't
aliens, they were angels...Nic's character doesn't believe in heaven, when he tells his son to go, he knows that they're angels and there is a heaven, he tells him, we'll see each other soon along with mom...

If
Angels used spaceships, then maybe. Looked to me though that it was a bunch of aliens taking a few select humans/animals to another planet to restart everything and do the whole adam/eve thing. I can see how they are implied as being angels though.

Watchmen - finally got out to seeing this one (thank you spring break) at a decent IMAX 20+ miles away from where I am (I needed some traveling/driving time anyway). This was fucking awesome! I honestly don't understand what people are disliking about this film, or how they are feeling let down. I have read the graphic novel several times, so perhaps I had some extra back knowledge necessary to facilitate enjoying/understanding the film, but it was great. In all honesty, Zack Snyder needs to be commended for tackling such a project and producing the best translation of the graphic novel that I honestly think is possible. On a whole, the film just blew me away. I loved the accentuation of colors of the characters, and Rorshach's mask was cool as fuck. I've also come to the conclusion that afar too many men are insecure/unsecure (haven't seen themselves in the mirror) with their sexuality if they are making such a big deal about Dr. Manhatten being naked.

Slumdog Millionaire: had numerous counts of tasteful and easy to relate to humor, a solid love story that wasn't too cliche or over-the-top and a wonderful cast. The plot was perfect and I wasn't aware it was based on a novel. Overall an awesome movie that is worth a 2nd viewing and purchase in the future. Totally didn't see it coming...

:applause:

Big Stan

By industry standards, direct to dvd = suckage and rob schneider = suckage, but strange enough, direct to dvd + rob schneider = a decent movie.

[quote name='homeland']Agreed as well. Though, its a Nicholas Cage movie,you have to expect that at least some part, if not all of the movie to suck.[/quote]

I heard they initially just wanted to cast Cage's hair in the movie after its stunning performance in Bangkok Dangerous and Next. But it was a package deal so they had to take Cage too.

Dead Snow (Død snø) - I went into Dead Snow thinking it would be another serious European horror flick since they all seem that way. But Dead Snow has nazi zombies.... This movie ends up being a fun horror film which pay homage to many older movies. For instance the use a chainsaw on a large group of zombies(evil dead), wearing a Braindead tshirt or just finding ways to bring up other older horror films(f13, april fools day, etc). It has some over-the-top gore/blood which is adds to the fun. There are a few cool deaths, one of which had me pump my fist in excitement
when the army hero is being lifted in the air by a swarm of zombies... then simultaneously the zombies rip his legs, arms and head off. $$$$
. Dead Snow doesn't over use jump scares which is good. The one jump scare with the old man had me laugh out loud...those are the best.

I had a great time watching Dead Snow. I probably should have seen it with some friends so I didn't feel bad laughing at corny humor alone. Dead Snow is definitely my favorite "fun" horror movie of 2009.

Incase you didn't bother reading any of that...NAZI ZOMBIES! HELL YA!

Last edited by a moderator:
Little Children - 7/10

Not sure what to think of this movie.
Although, it's always nice to see Jennifer Connelly and even nicer to get a full on of her ass. xD

Gone in 60 Seconds off of Netflix Instawatch (Nick Cage version) - If you can forgive all the plot holes, inconsistencies, lack of characterization and depth, plot devices, etc. then there's a pretty solid action film with vehicles. I know it doesn't sound like I liked it, but I strangely did. Then again, I really like cars and especially car movies.

It's the only Nick Cage movie I'll ever watch... probably the only movie with Jolie where she ISN'T annoying.

Speaking of car movies, sadly I can't wait to see the new F&F movie. :sigh: can't believe I just said that.

[quote name='VipFREAK']It's the only Nick Cage movie I'll ever watch... probably the only movie with Jolie where she ISN'T annoying.

Speaking of car movies, sadly I can't wait to see the new F&F movie. :sigh: can't believe I just said that.[/quote]

She's unbelievably hot with Blond hair (dreads). I wish she would go blond mroe often. Brunette/Black doesn't suit her as much.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Gone in 60 Seconds off of Netflix Instawatch (Nick Cage version) - If you can forgive all the plot holes, inconsistencies, lack of characterization and depth, plot devices, etc. then there's a pretty solid action film with vehicles. I know it doesn't sound like I liked it, but I strangely did. Then again, I really like cars and especially car movies.[/quote]

I loved this movie because of when I first saw it. It was December 22, 2000 - the night of my last exam in my first semester of law school (Torts). I studied harder than I ever studied for anything in my life that semester - I was relentless. From mid-November until 12.22 I didn't watch a single TV show except for football on Sunday - I was studying the entire time. When the last test was finally over I went home and the wife had rented Gone in 60 Seconds and it was the greatest movie in the history of movies at that point in time - I could barely keep my eyes open but somehow I managed and with Christmas 3 days away and 3 weeks of vacation in front of me everything just felt great. It all paid off too - straight As!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back