Surprisingly the Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Love You, Man - Funny, but did the whole awkward thing way too much.
The Incredible Hulk - Action scenes were pretty sick, everything else was fine.

[quote name='whoknows']I know it's surprising, but yeah, they didn't succeed in assassinating Hitler.[/QUOTE]

lol

Watched On the Waterfront for the first time ever this weekend. GREAT movie and incredible performance by Brando.

Also saw Funny People in theaters, and while I enjoyed it (7.5/10) I did think they could have edited it down to around 2 hours easily and made it a better paced theater flick and left the director's cut for DVD. Esp. the last hour in Marin County.

Finally saw hangover. Very funny crazy movie.

Also recently saw knowing It was alright, not what I was expecting. I think I got that movie confused with 2012.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished Observe and Report myself. Definately starts out poor, but it does get a bit better. Still a big letdown considering who is in it.

[quote name='lawdood']lol

Watched On the Waterfront for the first time ever this weekend. GREAT movie and incredible performance by Brando.
[/QUOTE]
I freaking love On The Waterfront.
One of my favourites :)

American Psycho (2000) - Awful. Barely worth the $2 I spent on it.

[quote name='Azumangaman']
American Psycho (2000) - Awful. Barely worth the $2 I spent on it.[/QUOTE]

oh come on! this scene alone is worth $2.
feedmeastraycat.gif

[quote name='naiku']oh come on! this scene alone is worth $2.
feedmeastraycat.gif
[/QUOTE]
LOL.
I admit, that and running naked with a chainsaw is absolutely worth $2.

Gigantic_poster.jpg

Gigantic (2008)

This was disappointing. Even for a Zooey Deschanel film. It's that kind of independent film, where instead of actually being original, you can tell it's really trying to be original, and it's just turns out as forgettable. It's wasn't a terrible film, just mostly boring, and any of the interesting things that happened (in relation to the plot) were pointless. I mean, Zach Galifianakis (from The Hangover) has a small part, as "Homeless Guy", who keeps turning up to beat up the main character (Paul Dano), without even having a line of dialogue. The most entertaining thing about the film, for me, was John Goodman playing Deschanel's quirky father.

rewatched Lady Vengeance and Gutterballs. Lady Veangeance still holds up but felt a little long during the second viewing. Gutterballs is way better w/ people. Hysterical, gory, graphic and great fun.

adventureland - i liked it
observe and report - kinda hard to stomach, but ultimately i found it watchable, if nothing else. did anyone else that see this
become really sympathetic to nell's character and find her really attractive?
i did. like, a lot.

[quote name='whoknows']I know it's surprising, but yeah, they didn't succeed in assassinating Hitler.[/QUOTE]
Based on his comment I just pictured something like a 2x4 covering up something that prevented what could've led to Hitler being killed or something. That would've ruined the movie.

Knowing 3.95/5 - Amazing action scenes, decent story but could've been put together better as it is a little disjointed at times.

[quote name='J7.']
Knowing 3.95/5 - Amazing action scenes, decent story but could've been put together better as it is a little disjointed at times.[/QUOTE]
Knowing is actually one of my favourite movies of the year. I wasn't really expecting to like it, but its had all the elements of a great sci fi movie.

I-Hate-Valentines-Day-poster-debut.jpg

I Hate Valentine's Day (2009)

Overly cliched romantic comedy, about a woman (Nia Vardalos, who also wrote and directed the film), who believes that the best way to achieve romantic fulfillment is to never go on more than five dates with the same man. This was no My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

^Sound good to me from just the title.

Vanishing Point - 5/10

Seriously, why is this movie so hyped up? Seriously?
A retarded black cop with an itch to throw someone behind bars for the hell of it? And a Father driving who knows where to meet his pregnant wife? Another thing I don't get is... how do you end up that far away from your pregnant wife when you KNOW pretty much when the due date is... (at least these days) Yes, I'm aware there are obvious exceptions like being in Iraq.
The cars are nice yes, but they aren't enough to justify such a rubbish movie.

Watchmen.

Thought it was ok. Will give it 3 stars on Netflix ratings.

Like most movies with mixed reviews/impressions, I didn't find it as bad as the haters or as good as the fanboys, just in the middle.

Nice art direction and a lot of good scenes. I liked the characters and the story was decent. But it was just overly long and the story could have been told in a much more focused and poignant manner.

[quote name='Azumangaman']Knowing is actually one of my favourite movies of the year. I wasn't really expecting to like it, but its had all the elements of a great sci fi movie.[/QUOTE]
It was solid, I just wish they elaborated more on the characters. Like his coworker, the daughters of Lucinda, and his mother and father. And there should've been more dates, I know why there was only that many, but still think more would've been better.

[quote name='Azumangaman']Knowing is actually one of my favourite movies of the year. I wasn't really expecting to like it, but its had all the elements of a great sci fi movie.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was good...until the ending. What a way to destroy a potentially great movie.

This is Spinal Tap

8/10: kinda felt in dragged in parts but I thought it was really good.

Also, I agree with whoknows about Knowing, the ending completely ruined the movie.

Fast and Furious 4 - 3/10

Ugh... What a joke from start to finish. They really need to stop making these. Sad part is it looks like there are more in the works...

I thought it sucked, because of Nicolas Cage.

SLC Punk!- I have seen this movie many, many times but this is the first time seeing it in 3+ years (the first time I saw it was when it was a new release about ten years ago,) but is still as good as the first time. SLCP doesn't have a plot but it has some awesome character development with some great acting from mediocre actors. SLCP is the best college coming to age flick besides Animal House but this isn't your typical frat house college flick.

If you haven't seen SLC Punk! give it a shot but don't let me over hype it.

Funny People - It's good, but long. I think, like the director's cut of 40 Year Old Virgin, it would be better viewed at home. The laughs are small, but consistent. In comparison to 40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up, which are raunchy (but solid) comedies with strong drama, Funny People is more of a drama first. The drama just happens to revolve around... funny people, which make it funny.

Last House on the Left (2009) - 3/5 - I heard great things about the 1972 version of Last House, but summer classes weren't kind and never really got around to seeing it before viewing the remake. I did notice some things that were taken out and overall the remake felt like a run of the mill horror film. the original is more dirty and gritty and poorly shot which is supposedly part of its charm. Anyways it has a couple decent kills which yields very little camera time. The film does feel a little slow to start but once it gets going, it keeps a very good flow. Sadly most characters aren't that interesting and you find yourself not attached to them. So when they find themselves in peril you do not find yourself in any suspense.

one of the "WTF moments/highlights" of the original Last House is a part after the rape where they urinate on the girl. The remake didn't include that scene. I was looking for it since I heard about it from many people how screwed up the original film is because of that urinating on the rape victim. Not sure what else was removed from the remake/original but im interested if someone has more comparisons.

[quote name='becuzimbrown']Just saw Munich and thought it was one of Speilberg's best.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I love Munich. Seen it twice now I think.

Watchmen: Read the book a few months ago. The book was definitely better, but I think they did a good job moving it to the big screen. Definitely didn't capture some of the themes of the book, but it was an enjoyable movie nonetheless. I could have done without the stylized action, which in my opinion was the biggest contrast between the book and the movie.

Synecdoche, New York: I liked it a lot. I think it was best that I went into this blind without knowing anything about the story.

[quote name='becuzimbrown']Just saw Munich and thought it was one of Speilberg's best.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. Munich was truly a terrific movie.

And don't hate on Knowing for Nicolas Cage. It was one of the few times I actually liked him. And the ending wasn't so bad.

Adventurelandposter.jpg

Adventureland (2009)

The trailers and general similarities to Superbad, made this seem like a hilarious "Superbad in the 80s" comedy, (Greg Mottola directed both films). It's not like that at all. It's more a dramedy about young romance. Its comedy isn't hyper like Superbad. The two leads, Jesse Eisenberg and Kristen Stewart are adequate as the youths falling in love, but the supporting cast of Ryan Reynolds, Martin Starr, Bill Hader, and Kristen Wiig are much more entertaining. An above average film, with a very misleading promotion.

Bart_got_a_room.jpg

Bart Got a Room (2008)

One of the best experiences of watching films, is when one is so surprisingly great. This was one of those films. I did not expect this to be so hilarious at all. It's about a Jewish teenager (Steven Kaplan), that while divorced parents independently search for love, he is on his own desperate quest to find a prom date. His search becomes progressively more pathetic once he and his family learn that Bart, the school's biggest dweeb, not only secured a date for the prom, but got a hotel room as well, ("BART got a room?!?"). The main object of his desire is Alia Shawkat (Maeby Fünke, from Arrested Development), his mother is played by Cheryl Hines, and his father is played by one of the gods of acting, Mr. William H. Macy. At only 80 minutes, it has a frantic pace, with near nonstop comedy. It just came out on DVD last week, so go out and get it. Now.

Had no luck asking this in the should we have a movie subforum thread so I'll ask here:

Do any of you guys have any movie forums you frequent and enjoy? I'd like to find a site dedicated to movies that has active and mature discussion of films. I don't want something like AVS Forum where the discussion is more about A/V quality than discussion of films. So that rules out Home Theater Forum as well. DVD Talk is out as I quit posting there a few years back as it was just getting too many ads, adult content (though I think that is gone now) etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back