Sushi!!!!!!

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I've never had sushi, so I am not able to make a proper decision on the matter.[/quote]

You are seriously missing out. Make sure that your first time is at a legit place though or you might get turned off of it for life.

I just ordered a Futomaki Roll - I've never had it but I'm trying as much of the menu as I can. I also got the old standby of the spicy crunchy salmon roll with avocado - I'm so addicted to the crunch.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I've never had sushi, so I am not able to make a proper decision on the matter.[/quote]

Some beginner tips:

- When ordering sushi, if you want a roll (fish wrapped by seaweed wrapped by rice), you'll want to order 'maki'. If you want the kind of sushi that has a piece of fish on top of a small clump of rice & usually no seaweed present (there are some exceptions like unagi), you'll want to order 'nigiri'.

Ex. If you wanted to get a eel roll, you would ask for an 'unagi maki'. If you wanted the eel on top of rice, you'd ask for an 'unagi nigiri'.

- Most of the time you don't need to say nigiri but it's useful when you want to differentiate what to get. I myself, on occasion, get both unagi nigiri & unagi maki.

- Westerners have a tendency to dip ALL their sushi in the soy sauce and this isn't how it's suppose to be. I think this is how some ppl get turned off of sushi (besides the myth of raw fish). For example, unagi isn't meant to be eaten with soy sauce as the sweet flavor is killed by the saltiness. If you MUST dip, dip gently so the saltiness is 'hinted' rather than overwhelming.

- Also, the wasabi isn't supposed to be poured in the soy sauce. It's supposed to be put at the edge of the soy sauce pool so it slowly mixes in giving a gradual change so the taste is never the same throughout your meal. If you want your sushi to be spicy, request it (although there's generally enough wasabi in many sushi types for a hint of spiciness).

- sushi isn't always raw fish. Case in point, unagi is already cooked before it's served. Sometimes even before the restaurant receives it. Ebi is another example. The shrimp is boiled before serving. If you want truly raw shrimp, ask for ama-ebi.

- the stuff that IS raw fish is called sashimi and is typically served with no rice/seaweed whatsoever.

- when they hand you a towel, it ISN'T to clean your face. :roll: It's for your hands. You're dealing with potentially raw food!

- if you can't master the chop sticks (aka hashi), it's perfectly acceptable to use your hands... just don't do it like a 5 yr. old.

- when dipping the sushi, dip it meat side down. You want to enhance the flavor of the fish, not have salty rice.

- each restaurant has their own take on specialties so you're encouraged to try them out (though I'd suggest bringing some bank if you want to indulge). My own personal fav is called a Superman. It's spicy tuna wrapped in seaweed & vinegared sweet rice topped off with white tuna on the top. It's lightly glazed with sweet unagi sauce which is then glazed over by some pink & green cream (I think it's a mustard/mayo mix of some sort). It's served on a plate with a side of shredded & fried potato flakes & a crunchy cabbage leaf. It's good for eating in between sushi pieces.

basic terms (my personal favs in yellow):

unagi - freshwater eel
anago - saltwater eel (I really don't see the difference in flavor as they both taste sweet to me)
uni - sea urchin
maguro - tuna
shiro maguro - white tuna
meji - young tuna
toro/otoro - fatty tuna (this is quite rich and I only recommend getting no more than 2 pieces)
sake - salmon (and no, it has no relation to the japanese hard liquor, though
they are the same in spelling)
ikura - salmon roe
masago - smelt roe
tobiko - flying fish roe
bincho - albacore tuna
ebi - boiled shrimp
ama-ebi - raw shrimp
hamachi - yellowtail
kanpachi - young yellowtail
saba - mackerel
hirame - flounder
hokkigai - surf clam
mirugai - large clam
hotategai - scallop
mekajiki - swordfish (expensive even for sushi, I hope you've got bank)
makajiki - blue marlin (ditto for this)
ika - squid
kani - crab
suzuki - sea bass
tako - octopus
tai - red snapper

All this talk of sushi is making me hungry so I'll probably end up getting some today. :drool::drool::drool::drool::bouncy:

[quote name='jaykrue']Some beginner tips:

- When ordering sushi, if you want a roll (fish wrapped by seaweed wrapped by rice), you'll want to order 'maki'. If you want the kind of sushi that has a piece of fish on top of a small clump of rice & usually no seaweed present (there are some exceptions like unagi), you'll want to order 'nigiri'.

Ex. If you wanted to get a eel roll, you would ask for an 'unagi maki'. If you wanted the eel on top of rice, you'd ask for an 'unagi nigiri'.

- Most of the time you don't need to say nigiri but it's useful when you want to differentiate what to get. I myself, on occasion, get both unagi nigiri & unagi maki.

- Westerners have a tendency to dip ALL their sushi in the soy sauce and this isn't how it's suppose to be. I think this is how some ppl get turned off of sushi (besides the myth of raw fish). For example, unagi isn't meant to be eaten with soy sauce as the sweet flavor is killed by the saltiness. If you MUST dip, dip gently so the saltiness is 'hinted' rather than overwhelming.

- Also, the wasabi isn't supposed to be poured in the soy sauce. It's supposed to be put at the edge of the soy sauce pool so it slowly mixes in giving a gradual change so the taste is never the same throughout your meal. If you want your sushi to be spicy, request it (although there's generally enough wasabi in many sushi types for a hint of spiciness).

- sushi isn't always raw fish. Case in point, unagi is already cooked before it's served. Sometimes even before the restaurant receives it. Ebi is another example. The shrimp is boiled before serving. If you want truly raw shrimp, ask for ama-ebi.

- the stuff that IS raw fish is called sashimi and is typically served with no rice/seaweed whatsoever.

- when they hand you a towel, it ISN'T to clean your face. :roll: It's for your hands. You're dealing with potentially raw food!

- if you can't master the chop sticks (aka hashi), it's perfectly acceptable to use your hands... just don't do it like a 5 yr. old.

- when dipping the sushi, dip it meat side down. You want to enhance the flavor of the fish, not have salty rice.

- each restaurant has their own take on specialties so you're encouraged to try them out (though I'd suggest bringing some bank if you want to indulge). My own personal fav is called a Superman. It's spicy tuna wrapped in seaweed & vinegared sweet rice topped off with white tuna on the top. It's lightly glazed with sweet unagi sauce which is then glazed over by some pink & green cream (I think it's a mustard/mayo mix of some sort). It's served on a plate with a side of shredded & fried potato flakes & a crunchy cabbage leaf. It's good for eating in between sushi pieces.

basic terms (my personal favs in yellow):

unagi - freshwater eel
anago - saltwater eel (I really don't see the difference in flavor as they both taste sweet to me)
uni - sea urchin
maguro - tuna
shiro maguro - white tuna
meji - young tuna
toro/otoro - fatty tuna (this is quite rich and I only recommend getting no more than 2 pieces)
sake - salmon (and no, it has no relation to the japanese hard liquor, though
they are the same in spelling)
ikura - salmon roe
masago - smelt roe
tobiko - flying fish roe
bincho - albacore tuna
ebi - boiled shrimp
ama-ebi - raw shrimp
hamachi - yellowtail
kanpachi - young yellowtail
saba - mackerel
hirame - flounder
hokkigai - surf clam
mirugai - large clam
hotategai - scallop
mekajiki - swordfish (expensive even for sushi, I hope you've got bank)
makajiki - blue marlin (ditto for this)
ika - squid
kani - crab
suzuki - sea bass
tako - octopus
tai - red snapper

All this talk of sushi is making me hungry so I'll probably end up getting some today. :drool::drool::drool::drool::bouncy:[/quote]

This is the greatest post ever. Some awesome tips there and even stuff I did not know about that I am going to have to try. My mouth is seriously watering right now after reading that.

I might be a bit of an anomaly in that I spread the wasabi directly on the sushi to make it as spicy as possible instead of mixing it with the soy sauce. I don't think it kills the flavor but I do think too much soy sauce does...

[quote name='javeryh']This is the greatest post ever. Some awesome tips there and even stuff I did not know about that I am going to have to try. My mouth is seriously watering right now after reading that.

I might be a bit of an anomaly in that I spread the wasabi directly on the sushi to make it as spicy as possible instead of mixing it with the soy sauce. I don't think it kills the flavor but I do think too much soy sauce does...[/quote]

:lol: No problem, always glad to help when it comes to my fav food. That is pretty interesting that you put the wasabi directly on there. I think that's the first I've ever heard of it. But yeah, most ppl end up making wasabi soup because they think since it's there, it MUST be used. They're there to enhance the flavor not kill it. That's why whenever someone does that I always comment "would you like some sushi with your wasabi soup?" For me, it's the same thing as ketchup on a hot dog - you don't need to pile it on to make it taste good. Otherwise you might as well skip the hot dog and just put ketchup on a bun.

Another tip:

most ppl eat the ginger because it's part of the meal but it's just there to 'reset' your taste buds when trying different pieces of sushi. If I've got unagi maki & some tuna nigiri, whenever I'm switching between them, I eat a piece of ginger. If all I have is unagi then I don't feel the need to eat the ginger.

:lol: I was wondering what that pink crap was. I just put a slice on each piece and ate it that way.

[quote name='jaykrue']:lol: No problem, always glad to help when it comes to my fav food. That is pretty interesting that you put the wasabi directly on there. I think that's the first I've ever heard of it. But yeah, most ppl end up making wasabi soup because they think since it's there, it MUST be used. They're there to enhance the flavor not kill it. That's why whenever someone does that I always comment "would you like some sushi with your wasabi soup?" For me, it's the same thing as ketchup on a hot dog - you don't need to pile it on to make it taste good. Otherwise you might as well skip the hot dog and just put ketchup on a bun.

Another tip:

most ppl eat the ginger because it's part of the meal but it's just there to 'reset' your taste buds when trying different pieces of sushi. If I've got unagi maki & some tuna nigiri, whenever I'm switching between them, I eat a piece of ginger. If all I have is unagi then I don't feel the need to eat the ginger.[/quote]

[quote name='Kayden']:lol: I was wondering what that pink crap was. I just put a slice on each piece and ate it that way.[/quote]

Hehe, didn't notice the strange looks you were getting? :lol:

I can't eat the ginger because when I first ate sushi my douchebag friend told me it was ham and what did I know so I put the whole thing in my mouth and wasn't expecting the taste.... I get chills just thinking about it...

[quote name='jaykrue']Hehe, didn't notice the strange looks you were getting? :lol:[/quote]

I was at work. I was getting strange looks because I was eating sushi near a bunch of mexicans. :lol:

[quote name='Kayden']I was at work. I was getting strange looks because I was eating sushi near a bunch of mexicans. :lol:[/quote]

What're you talkin' about? There are more mexicans who work in sushi restaurants than I can count. They were probably staring because they knew you were eating it the wrong way. :lol:

[quote name='javeryh']I can't eat the ginger because when I first ate sushi my douchebag friend told me it was ham and what did I know so I put the whole thing in my mouth and wasn't expecting the taste.... I get chills just thinking about it...[/quote]

Don't tell me, you also fell for the 'wasabi is japanese for avocado' trick. :bouncy:

[quote name='Kayden']:lol: I was wondering what that pink crap was. I just put a slice on each piece and ate it that way.[/QUOTE]

It's called "gari," but I used to ask for "geri" at the restaraunt I used to go to.

"geri" means "diarrhea."

:shock:

This is something I discovered on my own - body there told me about my faux pas, though I suspect they thought it was hysterical.

[quote name='mykevermin']It's called "gari," but I used to ask for "geri" at the restaraunt I used to go to.

"geri" means "diarrhea."

This is something I discovered on my own - body there told me about my faux pas, though I suspect they thought it was hysterical.[/QUOTE]

Probably the funniest post i've seen in a while.

As for me, my family goes out for sushi regularly here. We have a very good restaraunt. Unfortunatley, i'm not a fan of fish or sushi. I do eat tuna sashimi occasionally, as well as a VERY good roll: Vietnamese roll.

I usually eat chicken terriyaki or chicken tempura.

Is that a testimonial for 'being careful what you wish for?' ;)

[quote name='mykevermin']It's called "gari," but I used to ask for "geri" at the restaraunt I used to go to.

"geri" means "diarrhea."

This is something I discovered on my own - body there told me about my faux pas, though I suspect they thought it was hysterical.[/quote]

split assorted sashimi, a canada roll, and a spider roll the other day with my buddy for lunch. then i went longboarding with a female and had assorted tempura for dinner. i'd say it was a nice way to spend a day.

[quote name='darkmere']split assorted sashimi, a canada roll, and a spider roll the other day with my buddy for lunch. then i went longboarding with a female and had assorted tempura for dinner. i'd say it was a nice way to spend a day.[/quote]

It's most definitely a nice way to spend a day. I myself got a superman, tekka don, & chirashi (raw fish on a bed of rice) and shared it for lunch today with a cutie I met a few days ago. :bouncy: Yes, it most certainly a nice way to spend a day.:cool:

Ya know... every day you have a new cutie and we never have pictures.

i demanxxorz pix! :lol:

Or you could at least share...

[quote name='jaykrue']It's most definitely a nice way to spend a day. I myself got a superman, tekka don, & chirashi (raw fish on a bed of rice) and shared it for lunch today with a cutie I met a few days ago. :bouncy: Yes, it most certainly a nice way to spend a day.:cool:[/quote]

[quote name='darkmere']i need to get some pimp lessons from you jaykrue...could have made the day a lot nicer...[/quote]

Simple. Date more than one girl and be honest about it. But don't offer the info. Women like men with an air of mystery so stay aloof. Plus, knowing that you're dating more than one woman does a few things:

- the girl knows she has to compete for your affections. If you stuck with one girl, it'd be the other way around.

- girls who can't deal with guys who casually date more than one woman are generally jealous and insecure. This dating method automatically disqualifies them.

- 3ways & multiple partner sex (though it doesn't guarantee the 3rd party will be a girl but I'm adventurous) will become more common to you.

- you yourself undergo a personality shift - more confident and sure of yourself - attributes which women are highly attracted to.

[quote name='Kayden']Ya know... every day you have a new cutie and we never have pictures.

i demanxxorz pix! :lol:

Or you could at least share...[/quote]
Not every day... more like every 3 weeks but I gotta rotate them out of the stable since they start getting emotional and talk about 'where the relationship is going' and other BS.:roll: I'm not too fond of pics (especially when my identity is in there) but when I do take a pic, I always let her keep them. I'm not sentimental like that. I don't have even have pics of my parents or family in my place. Here's a rare pic I found on my comp of me with a cutie waaaaaaay back in college. She worked at Hooters at the time:

This was way before I started working out and learning about the intricate inner-workings of the fickle female. Notice the neutral posture, stereotypical asian piece sign, and the utter lack of masculinity... and then there's her. :lol: Quite the transformation in 8 years time. Huh... thinkin' about this stuff makes me wanna look up this girl. It's been a while but I think she just became free again. I should ask her out for sushi. :bouncy:

cool tips jay...i've never been the player type. i've tried going out with multiple girls, but never thought to play them against each other. makes sense...competition would yield better results.

[quote name='darkmere']cool tips jay...i've never been the player type. i've tried going out with multiple girls, but never thought to play them against each other. makes sense...competition would yield better results.[/quote]
that's the thing though. I don't think I'm a player either. I'm simply employing the same methods girls use to get the guy they want. You know how it is - girls can pick & choose who they want to go out with since it's the man's traditional role to pursue. I just kicked up a notch - when I pursue a girl, she better put her all because there's many waiting in the wings to give me a quick pick up. That way, even though I'm pursuing her, I'm relaxed about it since, if things don't work out with her, I'm not gonna be emo about it and slit my wrists over any one girl. Plus it allows me to date efficiently as I'm going through more women than the traditional dating method since most ppl prefer one-on-one dating. The only thing faster is speed-dating but even then you're still gonna end up w/ one woman at the end of the night (if at all). I figured it out why women want to date guys in relationships - the guys undergo a subconscious personality shift. They're more confident and don't worry about lookin' at a girl since they know they've got on-demand pussy. Guys don't realize this because their heads are swimming in hormones and they're still in that 'honeymoon phase' with their girl. All I'm doing is constantly maintaining that 'honeymoon phase'.

Mmmm... last night I had:

1. Spicy Dragon Roll Crunch
2. Chef's Special "Grilled Ocean 5 Roll" - Sushi roll wrapped with seared tuna
3. Spicy Alaskan Roll

I think I might get it again tonight - it was that good.

[quote name='javeryh']Mmmm... last night I had:

1. Spicy Dragon Roll Crunch
2. Chef's Special "Grilled Ocean 5 Roll" - Sushi roll wrapped with seared tuna
3. Spicy Alaskan Roll

I think I might get it again tonight - it was that good.[/quote]

Bastich! Now I have to get some sushi too.:lol:

Could someone please explain how it's possible to eat raw fish without getting sick? I always have my mom's nagging voice telling me not to eat raw stuff. If someone could put my mind at ease, I would be more willing to try the stuff out.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Could someone please explain how it's possible to eat raw fish without getting sick? I always have my mom's nagging voice telling me not to eat raw stuff. If someone could put my mind at ease, I would be more willing to try the stuff out.[/quote]

Well, for one, it's a popular misconception that ALL sushi is raw. Most of it is raw but there are exceptions such as freshwater/saltwater eel (known as unagi/anago respectively). They're cooked and a sweet glaze is put on them before being served. The texture is your normal fish texture but if you get some really good unagi, it'll melt in your mouth like cotton candy. Also, the chefs are trained to handle such foods & would be out of business otherwise. The chefs usually pick fish the same day/day after it's caught. They will look for fish with bright colors & clear eyes. If the skin is faded or the eyes are cloudy, it's usually an indicator of a sick fish and would otherwise not be used. If anything, the biggest thing to worry about is allergies. Make sure you're not allergic to anything as eating it will definitely multiply your risks at health... though that could be said about any food. Start out w/ a basic sushi dish such as tuna, salmon or freshwater eel. I've found most ppl who can't get past these 3 probably won't be able to stomach sushi in general. The eel is usually the biggest turnoff but if you can take it (don't worry, it's very sweet & quite addicting :drool: ) you can pretty much take most of the basic sushi dishes out there.

[quote name='jaykrue']Well, for one, it's a popular misconception that ALL sushi is raw. Most of it is raw but there are exceptions such as freshwater/saltwater eel (known as unagi/anago respectively). They're cooked and a sweet glaze is put on them before being served. The texture is your normal fish texture but if you get some really good unagi, it'll melt in your mouth like cotton candy. Also, the chefs are trained to handle such foods & would be out of business otherwise. The chefs usually pick fish the same day/day after it's caught. They will look for fish with bright colors & clear eyes. If the skin is faded or the eyes are cloudy, it's usually an indicator of a sick fish and would otherwise not be used. If anything, the biggest thing to worry about is allergies. Make sure you're not allergic to anything as eating it will definitely multiply your risks at health... though that could be said about any food. Start out w/ a basic sushi dish such as tuna, salmon or freshwater eel. I've found most ppl who can't get past these 3 probably won't be able to stomach sushi in general. The eel is usually the biggest turnoff but if you can take it (don't worry, it's very sweet & quite addicting :drool: ) you can pretty much take most of the basic sushi dishes out there.[/quote]

Uncooked fresh fish retains much more of the nutrients.. start with something like maguro that isn't all that fishy tasting. If you're eating at an established clean place you will be fine. My palate was completely changed by maguro tuna. Maguro is now my favorite food on earth... and to think I only tried it five or so years ago it's one of my favorite "new foods". I wouldn't blame you for being a little leery but give it a shot!

The only downside being is that I don't care for fish to be cooked as much any more!

Professionally prepared sushi is frozen, rather then cooked, to kill any harmful bacteria. They have specially made freezers that can reach much lower temperatures then your freezer at home. This is way I have no problems eating at a sushi resturant but I never eat home made sushi. Atleast, that was what I was always told. I've never worked at a sushi place so I couldn't verify this for sure.

[quote name='cletus']Professionally prepared sushi is frozen, rather then cooked, to kill any harmful bacteria. They have specially made freezers that can reach much lower temperatures then your freezer at home. This is way I have no problems eating at a sushi resturant but I never eat home made sushi. Atleast, that was what I was always told. I've never worked at a sushi place so I couldn't verify this for sure.[/quote]

If you're gonna eat sushi at home, except for flash frozen fish or specially-wrapped like eel, you're better off get stuff fresh from your local fish monger and eating that fish the very same day... of course it helps to be near a huge body of water. If you're not near one, like say, the east/west coast or the Great Lakes, you might have to settle for restaurant style sushi. I myself have been teaching myself how to make homemade sushi & while I haven't gotten the hang of it just yet, I'm quite confident about the fish I pick up at the fish market not to give me any food poisoning (cross fingers).

Make sure to use sushi rice with any homemade sushi/sashimi. Pretty much necessary and simple to do.

Just to note, technically if the wasabi is in the piece already, you're not supposed to add any to the soy sauce.

And as always, negitoro maki is the shit.

It sure has been a while... since I left NYC last October I've been hurting for some great sushi near my new job in NJ. Today I am finally starting the quest - there is a place about 10 minutes from here that I'm going to try. I didn't have a menu so I just ordered 3 rolls (Alaska, Spicy Tuna and Spicy Yellowtail Scallion). I hope it tastes good!

[quote name='javeryh']It sure has been a while... since I left NYC last October I've been hurting for some great sushi near my new job in NJ. Today I am finally starting the quest - there is a place about 10 minutes from here that I'm going to try. I didn't have a menu so I just ordered 3 rolls (Alaska, Spicy Tuna and Spicy Yellowtail Scallion). I hope it tastes good![/QUOTE] Where in NJ are you at now? My sister lives in Bayonne.

We've got a California-style "Japanese Fusion" restaurant a few buildings up from us, and they've got avocado in like 75% of their rolls. BLAH! I hate avocado!

They've got pretty decent teriyaki bowls, though. That shit'll fill you up nice and good.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Where in NJ are you at now? My sister lives in Bayonne.[/quote]

I'm in Short Hills. I was actually closer to Bayonne when I was in NYC than I am now but it's still only about 20-25 minutes away.

[quote name='javeryh']It sure has been a while... since I left NYC last October I've been hurting for some great sushi near my new job in NJ. Today I am finally starting the quest - there is a place about 10 minutes from here that I'm going to try. I didn't have a menu so I just ordered 3 rolls (Alaska, Spicy Tuna and Spicy Yellowtail Scallion). I hope it tastes good![/QUOTE]

Did lotsa cardio this morning, and didn't want to ruin it at lunch, so I stopped and picked up the set-price lunch (a couple rolls, salmon, whitefish, shrimp, clam, and tuna nigiri, salad and miso soup for $11).

fucking amazing.

[quote name='mykevermin']Did lotsa cardio this morning, and didn't want to ruin it at lunch, so I stopped and picked up the set-price lunch (a couple rolls, salmon, whitefish, shrimp, clam, and tuna nigiri, salad and miso soup for $11).

fucking amazing.[/quote]

Wow that's a really good price - I just paid $22 for my lunch (3 rolls). Everything around here is super expensive though. It tastes pretty good even though I've had way better. I'd give today's lunch a C.

[quote name='javeryh']I'm in Short Hills. I was actually closer to Bayonne when I was in NYC than I am now but it's still only about 20-25 minutes away.[/QUOTE]

Awesome. I know some people in SH. Nice place to raise a fam. Jav :)

I have not had any good sushi ever since I moved to Georgia. It's been suggested that I try a place called "Taco Sushi" but I'm wary about trying a place that's a Mexican/Japanese restaurant hybrid.

[quote name='dopa345']I have not had any good sushi ever since I moved to Georgia. It's been suggested that I try a place called "Taco Sushi" but I'm wary about trying a place that's a Mexican/Japanese restaurant hybrid.[/quote]

Nice name - they might as well call the place Vagina McPussystien's.

It's funny how tastes can change. When I replied to this thread back in '05, I had no desire for wasabi. Didn't like the taste or the heat. As time went on though, I started to like it, and used more and more of it. Now I love wasabi. The only thing I still can't get into is the pickled ginger...

Anyone in the Boston area try the Sarku Sushi Bar at the Galleria? It's reasonably priced (small menu though) and surprisingly very good. I love their unagi maki. Popular spot for us local 9-5er's. ;)

went to an all you can eat place on sunday, almost died from all the sushi

had Alaskan Rolls, Spice Tuna Rolls, Spider Rolls, Philly Rolls, Tuna Nigiri, Salmon Nigiri, Yellow Tail Nigiri, Octo Nigiri, Eel Nigiri, Shrimp Nigiri, Red Snapper Nigiri

[quote name='moiety']It's funny how tastes can change. When I replied to this thread back in '05, I had no desire for wasabi. Didn't like the taste or the heat. As time went on though, I started to like it, and used more and more of it. Now I love wasabi. The only thing I still can't get into is the pickled ginger...

Anyone in the Boston area try the Sarku Sushi Bar at the Galleria? It's reasonably priced (small menu though) and surprisingly very good. I love their unagi maki. Popular spot for us local 9-5er's. ;)[/QUOTE]

Any good places in the Boston area for terriyaki? :)

[quote name='moiety']It's funny how tastes can change. When I replied to this thread back in '05, I had no desire for wasabi. Didn't like the taste or the heat. As time went on though, I started to like it, and used more and more of it. Now I love wasabi. The only thing I still can't get into is the pickled ginger...

Anyone in the Boston area try the Sarku Sushi Bar at the Galleria? It's reasonably priced (small menu though) and surprisingly very good. I love their unagi maki. Popular spot for us local 9-5er's. ;)[/quote]
pickled ginger is awesome; plus it cleans the pallate on your tongue for the next sushi roll :D...i dont like wasabi :p

I always top my sushi or rolls with ginger, it goes so well together. Damn this topic is making me crave some spicy tuna rolls and unagi.

Oh yeah, sushi without soy sauce is like a waste of $20.

[quote name='Kendro']I always top my sushi or rolls with ginger, it goes so well together. Damn this topic is making me crave some spicy tuna rolls and unagi.

Oh yeah, sushi without soy sauce is like a waste of $20.[/QUOTE]

Same. Spicy Tekka right now would be amazing.

[quote name='jPoD']Any good places in the Boston area for terriyaki? :)[/QUOTE]

Best Japanese restuarant for sushi or whatever you would want is Fugakyu on Commonwealth Ave. Pricey but well worth it.

Wow, guess the ginger is popular!

[quote name='dopa345']Best Japanese restuarant for sushi or whatever you would want is Fugakyu on Commonwealth Ave. Pricey but well worth it.[/quote]
I've heard so many great things about Fugakyu - I've been planning to go there for ages, it's just kinda out of the way from where I live. I'll get there soon I hope!

[quote name='dopa345']Best Japanese restuarant for sushi or whatever you would want is Fugakyu on Commonwealth Ave. Pricey but well worth it.[/QUOTE]

It shows Beacon in Brookline. Is there a new one besides this and the one in Sudz?

ayo JEKKI creepin up in dis thread like a fuckin chester

only to find 10 pages of no pics whatsoever,

except for a confederate flag and a girl next to a man w/ a blurry head...

355535581_e31b336967.jpg

338877573_69552b0b38.jpg

338873972_a810329534.jpg

I only like to eat rolls...

the only time I will eat sushi is when I'm sittin at the all u can eat bar.

the kinds where sum drunk ass dude makes dat shit rite in front of u

bread's done
Back