Sushi!!!!!!

[quote name='CitizenB']Soy sauce just covers the flavor of the fish. I never use it. I still can't believe this thread it alive, and well.[/quote]
yea, that's why i only use a little bit...i only use it on the raw fish, not the stuff that's already cooked like eel

[quote name='JEKKI']ayo JEKKI creepin up in dis thread like a fuckin chester

only to find 10 pages of no pics whatsoever,

except for a confederate flag and a girl next to a man w/ a blurry head...

355535581_e31b336967.jpg

338877573_69552b0b38.jpg

338873972_a810329534.jpg

I only like to eat rolls...

the only time I will eat sushi is when I'm sittin at the all u can eat bar.

the kinds where sum drunk ass dude makes dat shit rite in front of u[/quote]

What are the rolls in the top pic on the right and in the bottom pic? They look fantastic. I'm definitely getting sushi for lunch today. There's a Monster Sushi near work that's decent (there are 2 other locations in NYC that I know of). $25 for lunch is steep but well worth it in the end.

[quote name='jPoD']It shows Beacon in Brookline. Is there a new one besides this and the one in Sudz?[/QUOTE]

Oops, sorry you're right, it's on Beacon St. in Brookline but easily accessible by the T on the Green Line.

[quote name='dopa345']Oops, sorry you're right, it's on Beacon St. in Brookline but easily accessible by the T on the Green Line.[/QUOTE]

np. I google'd the directions. It's like 7 mins. from West campus @ BU :)

[quote name='javeryh']What are the rolls in the top pic on the right and in the bottom pic? They look fantastic. I'm definitely getting sushi for lunch today. There's a Monster Sushi near work that's decent (there are 2 other locations in NYC that I know of). $25 for lunch is steep but well worth it in the end.[/quote]
The bottom roll looks like eel. I like how the fish is wrapped on the outside of the roll. Looks absolutely delicious!

[quote name='javeryh']What are the rolls in the top pic on the right and in the bottom pic? They look fantastic. I'm definitely getting sushi for lunch today. There's a Monster Sushi near work that's decent (there are 2 other locations in NYC that I know of). $25 for lunch is steep but well worth it in the end.[/QUOTE]I donno what the top right one is... my sister ordered it...

bottom one is Dragon Roll as Kendro and moiety posted.

top middle is firecracker (spicy tuna on top, I think scallop inside),

top middle is albacore.

middle is spider (soft shell crab)

What is also good is I had this roll called a Volcano roll. It was a California roll topped with spicy tuna chunks smothered in spicy mayo sauce. What was great was mixed in that spicy tuna were also little flakes of Tempura fried batter to make it crunchy, so when you ate the roll, you had the mix of spicy, crunchy, and creamy (from the mayo) on top of a California roll.

I had a roommate that was a sushi chef and he showed me a cool sauce made from sriracha and mayo. That's all I can stand to put on my shushi now, either that or nothing.

I had a "Grilled Ocean 5 Roll" for lunch. It's soooooo good. It's essentially a spicy crunch rainbow roll (tuna, salmon, yellowtail and snapper with tempura flakes, roe and avocado) but they add grilled whitefish on top of it and some sweet sauce. The contrasting taste of the cold sushi and the hot whitefish is unbelievably good. $15 though.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']went to an all you can eat place on sunday, almost died from all the sushi

had Alaskan Rolls, Spice Tuna Rolls, Spider Rolls, Philly Rolls, Tuna Nigiri, Salmon Nigiri, Yellow Tail Nigiri, Octo Nigiri, Eel Nigiri, Shrimp Nigiri, Red Snapper Nigiri[/QUOTE]

yeah dude.. i totally shit like crazy aftewords... i think you heard it too.

MmmMm all you can sushi joints are the best!

I definitely need alot of wasabi when i eat my sushi, almost to a paste like sauce when mixed with soysauce but i'd def say that soysauce > wasabi.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']I had a roommate that was a sushi chef and he showed me a cool sauce made from sriracha and mayo. That's all I can stand to put on my shushi now, either that or nothing.[/QUOTE]o my!!! I gotta experiment soon.[quote name='twanky']MmmMm all you can sushi joints are the best![/quote]if it's not all u can eat, it's not worth eating at.

that is, unless the restaurant serves other shit (and sushi is nothing more than another menu item)

I had some sushi yesterday for lunch and I already have plans to go again tomorrow but I also want it again today! What to do... what to do?

[quote name='moiety']Ahh nice. I had sushi for lunch today. Tuna roll, eel+avo roll, and eel nigiri. 15 pieces, $10. :drool: Yum![/QUOTE]

I never cared for eel but only because it turns to mush in your mouth.

hey guys, i'm gonna go up to NY to get some sushi sometime in the next few weeks...or maybe in the spring...

do you guys have any suggestions on where to go for good authentic sushi? i'm more into the buffet sushi's since i eat a lot of sushi, but i wanna also make sure that it's good sushi and that they're not just putting on a bunch of rice to make you full quick ;)

any suggestions on places in NY? preferabbly not TOO far from La Guardia airport

thanks!!! i wanna try my first sushi buffet that's not just "part of the menu," i want the place focused on making good sushi :D

EDIT: searching on the internet, it seems like Todai or Minado Seafood Buffet are good for sushi buffets around manhattan...is there enough of a difference b/t the lunch and dinner sushi buffets to warrant the huge price difference? how much is missing from the lunch buffet sushi-wise?

[quote name='swetooth9']hey guys, i'm gonna go up to NY to get some sushi sometime in the next few weeks...or maybe in the spring...

do you guys have any suggestions on where to go for good authentic sushi? [/quote]

Nobu is the trendy sushi place in the city right now. You are almost guaranteed to see some random celebrity there but the food is just average, IMO. I'd try Jewel Bako, Yasuda or Samba Park. If you get a chance, Tao has some good sushi too but it's more of an Asian restaurant (the food is excellent there). Actually, I'd recommend Robangi in Hoboken on Washington Street for the best sushi around. It's seriously better than anything I've had in the city.

I'm eating some sushi right now for lunch. A new place opened up by work - it's OK but I had to blind order since I didn't have a menu... I'm a bit disappointed in my order - they put a TON of ginger in one of my rolls. It might as well be called a ginger roll...

[quote name='javeryh']Nobu is the trendy sushi place in the city right now. You are almost guaranteed to see some random celebrity there but the food is just average, IMO. I'd try Jewel Bako, Yasuda or Samba Park. If you get a chance, Tao has some good sushi too but it's more of an Asian restaurant (the food is excellent there). Actually, I'd recommend Robangi in Hoboken on Washington Street for the best sushi around. It's seriously better than anything I've had in the city.

I'm eating some sushi right now for lunch. A new place opened up by work - it's OK but I had to blind order since I didn't have a menu... I'm a bit disappointed in my order - they put a TON of ginger in one of my rolls. It might as well be called a ginger roll...[/quote]

how far are those places relative to la guardia airport?

thanks for all the suggestions

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']i went to Minado for all you can eat lunch. It was amazing for only 16 bucks. Worth it to try it at least once.[/quote]

i'm thinkin about doin that; is there a big difference in the types of suchi for lunch and for dinner? is there at least a decent selection for lunch? about how many different types?

thanks

[quote name='MorPhiend']Soy sauce. Although, I would keep soy sauce in the fridge (unless there was no fridge at work, I guess). So I wouldn't be worrid about that. I wish I had money for sushi...[/quote]
You really don't need to refrigerate soy sauce, that stuff has so much salt, it will keep. But I would invest is a tupe of wasabi paste just in case they ever forget to include it again.

[quote name='swetooth9']

i'm thinkin about doin that; is there a big difference in the types of suchi for lunch and for dinner? is there at least a decent selection for lunch? about how many different types?

thanks[/QUOTE]

well at minado they prob had like 7-10 different types of nigiri, and prob 15 types of maki, plus they have a bunch of cold and hot foods.

i had the feeling they have better stuff out for dinner since its like 10 bucks more for dinner. From there site "*Please note, our menu items are rotated frequently. As such, not all listed items are available at any given time.
Lunch and dinner menus differ."

[quote name='swetooth9']how far are those places relative to la guardia airport?[/quote]

Hmmm.... LaGuardia is kind of far from EVERYTHING! It's actually easier to get to Manhattan by flying into Newark Airport and taking the PATH to the city. Actually, I've never been to LaGuardia so I don't know first hand (everyone I talk to seems to think this though). If I had to guess I bet you are looking at a 40 minute subway ride to the city... maybe? If you are going to Manhattan at some point then pretty much everything is a 10-15 minute cab ride away.

*seconds EWR over LaGuardia*

I'm not reading through 12 pages of a thread on sushi to see if someone already said this, but most "wasabi" is just colored horseradish paste. You typically have to go to a nice bar and request real Japanese wasabi before you get it.

And soy sauce, totally. Wasabi is nice for plain rolls, like ordinary tuna maki, to make them a lot more interesting, but soy sauce is required to make a sashimi platter livable after the first few pieces.

(I guess a purist may disagree and be all omg, raw fishz0rz, but come on. If you're going to do that, buy a sushi-grade filet wholesale and go at it. You save money and get to look like a polar bear.)

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']well at minado they prob had like 7-10 different types of nigiri, and prob 15 types of maki, plus they have a bunch of cold and hot foods.

i had the feeling they have better stuff out for dinner since its like 10 bucks more for dinner. From there site "*Please note, our menu items are rotated frequently. As such, not all listed items are available at any given time.
Lunch and dinner menus differ."[/quote]

alright thanks...i'll keep that in mind

[quote name='javeryh']Hmmm.... LaGuardia is kind of far from EVERYTHING! It's actually easier to get to Manhattan by flying into Newark Airport and taking the PATH to the city. Actually, I've never been to LaGuardia so I don't know first hand (everyone I talk to seems to think this though). If I had to guess I bet you are looking at a 40 minute subway ride to the city... maybe? If you are going to Manhattan at some point then pretty much everything is a 10-15 minute cab ride away.[/quote]

interesting...i'll try that

and yea, we get the little 1 day passes for tickets/busses everytime we come up to NY

[quote name='diaeresis']*seconds EWR over LaGuardia*

I'm not reading through 12 pages of a thread on sushi to see if someone already said this, but most "wasabi" is just colored horseradish paste. You typically have to go to a nice bar and request real Japanese wasabi before you get it.

And soy sauce, totally. Wasabi is nice for plain rolls, like ordinary tuna maki, to make them a lot more interesting, but soy sauce is required to make a sashimi platter livable after the first few pieces.

(I guess a purist may disagree and be all omg, raw fishz0rz, but come on. If you're going to do that, buy a sushi-grade filet wholesale and go at it. You save money and get to look like a polar bear.)[/quote]

EWR = Newark airport?

I finally went to Fugakyu in Brookline, MA on Monday. On Monday and Tuesday nights they have Kaiten sushi - conveyor belt sushi! A water-filled moat goes around the sushi bar with the chefs in the middle, and little boats each carry 2 small plates of sushi, maki, or sashimi. I was in heaven! Not only is their sushi delicious, but just having the sushi parading past me while I ate was a fun experience.

I don't even remember everything I tried. Idaho Maki (sweet potato roll), Ebi Tempura Futomaki (yum!), had to try their tuna sashimi and eel sushi - both excellent. The tuna pieces were big and thick. Even the eel pieces were big. Very tasty. Had a few other rolls I can't remember.

Each plate costs $4, no matter what is on the plate. They are a bit on the pricier side there, but I'd go every once and awhile. Definitely worth it.

[quote name='"CitizenB"']
I never cared for eel but only because it turns to mush in your mouth.[/quote]
Mush? I've never had that experience with eel.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']i went to Minado for all you can eat lunch. It was amazing for only 16 bucks. Worth it to try it at least once.[/QUOTE]

I was fairly impressed with the resturant... really decent sushi and also other hot food as well.

For 16 dollars.. its probably the best sushi deal i have ever seen.

[quote name='moiety']I finally went to Fugakyu in Brookline, MA on Monday. On Monday and Tuesday nights they have Kaiten sushi - conveyor belt sushi! A water-filled moat goes around the sushi bar with the chefs in the middle, and little boats each carry 2 small plates of sushi, maki, or sashimi. I was in heaven! Not only is their sushi delicious, but just having the sushi parading past me while I ate was a fun experience.

I don't even remember everything I tried. Idaho Maki (sweet potato roll), Ebi Tempura Futomaki (yum!), had to try their tuna sashimi and eel sushi - both excellent. The tuna pieces were big and thick. Even the eel pieces were big. Very tasty. Had a few other rolls I can't remember.

Each plate costs $4, no matter what is on the plate. They are a bit on the pricier side there, but I'd go every once and awhile. Definitely worth it.[/quote]

That sounds delicious. I just got sushi for lunch for the second time this week. It's from an OK place but it's close to where I work and that's what counts. I go for the good stuff on Saturday or Sunday night.

I can never eat just sushi as a meal. Every once and awhile I get a sushi craving, but I can only eat 2 or 3 rolls max. The only time I get any is at a local deli when I buy a sammich for lunch and I think, "hey a piece of sushi sounds good."

So I will buy like a little 6 pack of california rolls or something, just whatever looks good. I'll take it home and eat 2 pieces, put it in the fridge then toss it out as I will never get around to eating it.

And wasabi is the important part. I usually use both on my sushi but I would rather have the wasabi over soy sauce.

I recently went to Minado, and am going back Monday. My sister says the dinner has a lot more variety, like lobster, although I don't think I need more. I personally don't like sushi, but the seafood at Minado is fabulous. Their corn crab cakes are truly excellent, especially with the sauce provided. I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, so I'll say it anyway: weekends are also jacked up in price. Try to hit Minado during the weekdays, around 12-2 PM, since they close at 2:30 until 5, or so I hear.

[quote name='Moses144']I recently went to Minado, and am going back Monday. My sister says the dinner has a lot more variety, like lobster, although I don't think I need more. I personally don't like sushi, but the seafood at Minado is fabulous. Their corn crab cakes are truly excellent, especially with the sauce provided. I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, so I'll say it anyway: weekends are also jacked up in price. Try to hit Minado during the weekdays, around 12-2 PM, since they close at 2:30 until 5, or so I hear.[/quote]

how much of a difference is "jacked up"? i might consider going on a weekday night if it's a large differential

2917 Swede Road,
East Norriton, PA 19401
Tel: 610-277-7375
Business Hours
Lunch Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 9:30pm Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm *Last seating 30 minutes prior to closing.
Prices Lunch Monday - Friday: $14.50 Saturday - Sunday: $16.50 Holidays*: $16.50
Dinner Monday - Thursday: $25.00 Friday - Sunday: $27.00 Holidays*: $27.00
*Price does not include tax or drinks. Children 4 1/2 ft & under: Half Price 3 1/2 ft & under: Lunch $4.50 / Dinner $5.50 2 1/2 ft & under: Free *New Year's Day, Valentine's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.

** Mother's day, Father's day
(Dinner menu served all day for $27.00)

This is all from the website, http://www.minado.com/

If that layout is a little weird, here are the prices, roughly: Dinner's $25, lunch is $15, if it's a weekend add $2. Not really jacked up as I said, but it's a little more. Even though it's my location, the prices are the same. I recommend you check out the website to see the menu. Also, I think my sister said sushi is the same day or night.

Took a day off and decided to get some takeout at a local restaurant I haven't been to in several years. Unagi+Avo, Yellowtail+Scallion, and Salmon Skin.

It was alright, there are other places around that I like much better. Different places taste different, and it's good to weed out the ones I prefer.

I finally went to a sushi place for lunch earlier in the week at the urging of one of my coworkers. He kept raving about this place called "Taco Sushi" (and yes they do serve mexican food as well as sushi, hence my skepticism). It actually wasn't that bad, though still far short of places in Boston (god, I miss Fugakyu).

Anyone here been to Robongi in Hoboken? It is some really good sushi albeit expensive...

I want to order sushi tonight since it's Good Friday and everything but I think the gang wants pizza so I might be SOL.

[quote name='javeryh']Anyone here been to Robongi in Hoboken? It is some really good sushi albeit expensive...

I want to order sushi tonight since it's Good Friday and everything but I think the gang wants pizza so I might be SOL.[/QUOTE]

say u also decided to keep passover for a change so you cant eat the dough in pizza

[quote name='Moses144']

If that layout is a little weird, here are the prices, roughly: Dinner's $25, lunch is $15, if it's a weekend add $2. Not really jacked up as I said, but it's a little more. Even though it's my location, the prices are the same. I recommend you check out the website to see the menu. Also, I think my sister said sushi is the same day or night.[/QUOTE]

I went to one Minado for lunch and a different one for dinner, and I found the dinner stuff was a much more expensive food. I really didnt see much of a difference in the Sushi, though they did have some Sashimi. Id say if someone is worried check out lunch, if you like it go from there to dinner.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']I went to one Minado for lunch and a different one for dinner, and I found the dinner stuff was a much more expensive food. I really didnt see much of a difference in the Sushi, though they did have some Sashimi. Id say if someone is worried check out lunch, if you like it go from there to dinner.[/QUOTE]

Well doesn't dinner have hibachi as well along with snow crab legs ? (@ minado)

yea, i'm still deciding whether to go to lunch or dinner next week at Minado...i want all the good sushi available but some people i'm going with arent targeting the sushi as much as i am...they're just their for seafood overall

[quote name='rajchakrabarti']Well doesn't dinner have hibachi as well along with snow crab legs ? (@ minado)[/QUOTE]

yea there was hibachi and snow crab legs, but it could change depending the day

Mmmmm... I'm enjoying a spicy crunchy tuna roll, an alaska roll and a hamachinegi roll for lunch right now. Delicious!

I can't believe this thread is still alive, but I can see why as sushi is damn good.

I got sushi last weekend and got Spicy Tuna(My normal) and Alaskan rolls. It was the first time I'd had alaskan rolls, but they were pretty good. Avacado, cucumber and salmon with a ton of soy sauce. Keep in mind I "don't like seafood." :lol:

bread's done
Back