Taking the jump into Microsoft gaming

zerowing

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Well I finally decided to jump into Microsoft gaming to complete the other half of the Wii60, mainly for the lower price point compared to the PS3 and that most of the big games will be multiplatform between the PS3 and 360. Problem is I've been way out of the loop of X-Box and X-Box 360, only games I really know of are Halo and Rainbow 6: Vegas. Along with my new fancy 360 I plan on getting at least 4-5 games to complement my purchase, but like I said, I'm out of the loop.

So what I need from CAG is a short list of fun, enjoyable games, whether they be rated high or rated low, just something that you have enjoyed and would reccomend to a new X-Box (360) gamer. I have a short list including Half-Life 2, Rainbow 6: Vegas, and Fable, but I need some more suggestions, feel free to suggest stuff from 2001 to the future (things currently on sale = big plus of course). Thanks.

Have a nice day.

Halo 1, Ninja Gaiden Black, Crimson Skies, and Panzer Dragoon Orta should catch you up on Xbox exclusives pretty well.

Crackdown, Guitar Hero 2, R6: Vegas, Burnout Revenge, NFS: Most Wanted, and Tomb Raider: Legend have all been solid titles (some with versions you may have played elsewhere).

Personally, I was really let down by Saint's Row, Gears of War, and Dead Rising. Not all for the same reasons, but they weren't nearly as fun as I had heard or hoped. Especially odd with the latter 2 as they're the reason I wanted a 360 in the first place.

Get yourself Geometry Wars and Pac-Man C.E. too on the Live Aracade. :)

Gears of War; Catan; Dead Rising: DoA4 (if you like deep fighters); Viva Pinata; Marvel Ultimate Alliance; Geometry Wars; Hexic HD; Cloning Clyde; Uno; Carcisonne.

some older ones you can probably find some good deals on:

Saints Row
Dead Rising
Condemned
Viva Pinata
Oblivion
Burnout Revenge
Prey

then some others that you should pick up

Gears of War
The Darkness
Forza 2
DiRT
Guitar Hero II
Crackdown

DO you feel lucky, OP ? I ask you that question because Xbox 360 have failure rate of 33%. To make it easier for you, one out of three Xbox 360 will break. ^__^. Just a friendly advice

[quote name='nonggame']DO you feel lucky, OP ? I ask you that question because Xbox 360 have failure rate of 33%. To make it easier for you, one out of three Xbox 360 will break. ^__^. Just a friendly advice[/QUOTE]Source or GTFO.

OP:

Gears of War
Uno
Geometry Wars
Call of Duty 2/3
Guitar Hero II
Rainbow 6: Vegas

and as all neogaffers say neogaf>internwebs.

If i were you i would make sure you play all these games before halo 3 because afterwards there i no point in having those games anymore.

Games i liked (in decending order)
Hitman Blood Money
Perfect Dark Zero
Dead Rising
Gears of War
Oblivion

360 Games:

Gears
Lost Planet
Burnout Revenge
Call of Duty 2
Fight Night Round 3

BC Games:

Psychonauts
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
Crimson Skies
Phantom Dust
Jade Empire
KOTOR
Mercenaries
Indigo Prophecy
Unreal Championship 2
Mechassault 2
Halo series
Prince of Persia series
XIII

I just picked up MechAssault 2 at Fry's for $4.99 and added it to the pile of Xbox games I'll probably never play ;). I am actually playing Star Wars Battlefront II, but I played that extensively on the PS2. I would recommend that if you didn't get it for PS2.

As for 360 - definitely Viva Pinata if you had any liking at all for Animal Crossing. In some ways it is better because it is a bit more goal oriented (though also an endless game). You can collect all the pinatas and get all the achievements, then keep playing if you wish.

I'm also enjoying Chromehounds. Snag Virtua Tennis 3 at CC for $16.96 if you can find one at this point. I haven't played it yet but that seems like a good deal.

I got my 360 over 2 months ago and play it a lot and so far have avoided any of the "big name" titles like Gears, etc... I have several "lesser" games still unopened thanks to CAG (up next is probably Tomb Raider Legend). My first new full-price purchase will probably be Blue Dragon. I'd get Oblivion (as that was my main reason for wanting a 360) but I've held off because I know it is a huge time sink and I'm hoping for a Game of the Year edition some time soon.

For XBLA I would recommend Worms and Carcassonne.

welcome aboard

i highly highly recommend reading through Tha Xecutioner's faq here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121734

He spent a lot of time making a great thread so although its big, it is very much worth the read.

As for a few of my personal favorites(that you wont find listed in most every other list)
Hitman
Splinter Cell DA

Also i recommend you don't actually go and buy 4-5 games with your 360. What i would do is read through the faq, check out the Official 360 game thread index(linked to in the faq + stickied) for impressions on the games im interested in, and play the demos to those games. One of the best parts of owning a 360 is being able to download a demo to almost every game released.

For me its the most precise method of making my decision on buying a game.
Example 1: Overlord impressions were good, i tried the demo and liked it so i bought the game.
Example 2: Hour of victory impressions werent so hot...demo is on marketplace and i agree. Stay away from that one!
Example 3: Tenchu Z impressions tend to lead toward the opinion that its a bad game, as do reviews. I am a tenchu fan and was worried so i tried the demo...love it!

Wow thanks for the suggestions and the demo idea there, totally forgot the 360 could do that, and I did read Tha Xecutioner's thread.

And while I did read about the fail rate on 360s I am looking into replacement plans, whether through Microsoft or 3rd party. I never had problems with any of my other systems, no DREs on my PS2, Cube, everything else worked perfect, so either I'm lucky or I'm just overdue for a messed up console.

Thanks for the ideas CAGs and I'll be sure to look into each of those games, such a great help for me.

Have a nice day.

[quote name='zerowing']Wow thanks for the suggestions and the demo idea there, totally forgot the 360 could do that, and I did read Tha Xecutioner's thread.

And while I did read about the fail rate on 360s I am looking into replacement plans, whether through Microsoft or 3rd party. I never had problems with any of my other systems, no DREs on my PS2, Cube, everything else worked perfect, so either I'm lucky or I'm just overdue for a messed up console.

Thanks for the ideas CAGs and I'll be sure to look into each of those games, such a great help for me.

Have a nice day.
[/quote]

don't forget to look into any warantee or replacement plan offered on your credit card if you'll be using one. they're usually pretty good and people forget about them. ...and you pay nothing extra for them.

SO many good games you've been missing. You will have an absolute blast catching up... I'll make a list and post back later.

Microsoft extended their warrantee to 3 years (now that's a warrantee you can have confidence in), so I wouldn't worry about buying an extended warrantee now.

Oblivion
Gears of War
Dead Rising
Rainbow Six Vegas
Viva Pinata
Lost Planet
Crackdown (didn't like it but many did)
The Darkness
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (and GRAW 2, if you can get it for cheap enough... very short game, but good multiplayer)

Arcade Games:

Geometry Wars
Settlers of Catan
UNO
Castlevania

Xbox Backwards Compatible games:

Ninja Gaiden
Fable
Halo 1 & 2
Jet Set Radio Future (not the one that's packed in with Sega GT, that one's not compatible)
Breakdown
Indigo Prophecy
Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
Panzer Dragoon Orta

[quote name='Dijital']You'll also be happy to know that microsoft's 360 warranty is now three-years![/QUOTE]

fuck! When did this happen? I bought one a few months ago and paid Gamecrazy an extra $40 for another year of coverage. It was kind of a requirement for purchase (since this was a launch day Elite and they only had 1 for sale). They forced the "bundle" with the extended warranty which was sort of OK because I was paying with credit (though still, that's 2 or 3 cheap games right there ;)). So I wonder if this gives me a 4th year now? :lol:

bread's done
Back