Tales from the Pawn Shop(s)!

[quote name='cranguy']Did it give you 3rd degree burns? :p[/quote]

I was thinking way too hard about that one. I thought it was a reference to a scene in the movie or something, haha.

I was very surprised to see it in such a barren shop; it was behind the counter on a shelf looking all lonesome :lol:

[quote name='cranguy']Did it give you 3rd degree burns? :p[/quote]

:whistle2:?

Can someone give me a spoiler tag on what this means? Spoiler tag it because im sure there are people around here not as slow as me.

[quote name='schuerm26']:whistle2:?

Can someone give me a spoiler tag on what this means? Spoiler tag it because im sure there are people around here not as slow as me.[/quote]

He's saying it was a hot deal. At least, I hope he was

Did well today:

-DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3 $3.00
-Zelda Majora's Mask $2.50
-.Hack//G.U Volume 1 $10.00
-Final Fantasy 7 Crisis Core: $15.00
-Smash Bros Brawl $25.00 (this wasn't really the best deal, especially since it had hollywood video packaging and no manual, but the guy held it for like 2 weeks because I remarked that I wanted a copy, and he always hooks me up with great deals so it pays off in the end)
-.Hack Infection Volume 1 $5.00
-Gears of War $5.00 (this wasn't from a pawn shop but a local music store that's always reliable for ridicuously low used prices so I figure that's close enough)

The best deal though was a "broken" xbox 360 pro, complete with hdd, controller, cables(even the box!) for $69. The problem was that it wasn't reading discs, so I took it home, shot some compressed air in the open tray hole, and voila works like a charm! If that wasn't enough, I registered it and it still has two years left on the warranty!

Got Uncharted complete and mint for $15 last week

This week I also bit on a Flip camcorder for $40, passed on a complete xbox karaoke revolution with mic, and a disc/case Jedi Knight Jedi Outcast for xbox

made a HELLUVA haul today. Total spent: $38.49

Got the following:
The Office season 1 BBC version $3
The Office Season 2 BBC Version $3
One Upon a Time in China Trilogy $3
The Mummy Legacy Collection (minus slip cover) $3
Sanjuro Criterion dvd original release $3
The Hidden Fortress Criterion dvd original release $3
Seven Samurai Criterion dvd original release $3
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed xbox 360 $15

Last week I got (from the same pawn shop I got Left4Dead for $20 a month or more ago):

NGC Super Smash Brothers Melee $4
NGC Super Mario Kart Double Dash $4
NWii Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess $13

Back at my favorite pawnshop in the past few days, and have picked up both Saints Row 2 and Call of Duty World at War for 360 for $15 each.

I love that pawnshop.

There are a couple of pawn shops that I go to on a regular basis.

Let's see I got the greatest hits version of FF7, Orge Battle PS and Dragon Warrior for $7 each a while back. I also got the triple pack of Hitman for $5.

However, the other day the guy who works in the pawn shop was complaining that he didn't want to buy a mint Xbox with cords and controllers for more than $10. So the dude selling went outside and offered it to me for $20. Then the pawn shop owner went outside and started bitching at me...

So I guess the pawnshop guy was just trying to do a hard buy with the Xbox seller. I don't understand why he got mad at me though. I spend a lot of money in that place and I wasn't trying to buy stuff from his customers! The Xbox seller offered it to me because it really seemed like the pawnshop wasn't interested in it. I dunno. It's a pain dealing with pawnshops sometimes.

I also went to what was probably the very first garage sale the other day and got a model 2 Sega Saturn (power cord only) and a Gameboy Advance SP (without charger cable) for $15. Pretty good deal? The Saturn is in decent shape and works well enough.

Found some great games, but had to pass:

-All 3 Castlevania DS games
-Rondo of Swords
-Legend of Kage 2
-Ninja Gaiden DS
-Another Atlus game that is escaping me at the moment

They were all priced at $19 each, since I was going to buy quite a few I asked if they could knock it down to $15(which personally I thought was fair), but the guy said "no can do, I just put them out here for sale". Unforunately, they seem to tell me that everytime I go there... it kinda ruins the fun of shopping at pawns if they're never willing to haggle. Anyways I passed, normally I cave in to their prices but dammit I'm making a stand!

Speaking of which, I noticed an interesting thing... it's kind of like all of my local pawns have sort of flipped the script when it comes to deals. This pawn used to sell all of their PS2 games at $5 a piece, but now they hesitate to go below $10, wheras another local pawn used to stick with a B2G1 at $12 each price but now they do $5 each or 5 for $20. This happen to anyone else?

Last edited:
I got a copy of Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 2 for PS2 in prisinte mint condition complete for $6.99 :D

Two of my best finds were Earthbound for $4.99 and 2 Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne Guides for $2.00 apiece!

Another pretty good one I had was a stack of PS1 games all complete for $20 (Xenogears, Legend of Dragoon, Hoshigami, Resident Evil 2, FF: Anthology, FF: Chronicles and Ogre Battle) :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Did pretty good today, would have done better if I'd had more money on me. Walked into a pawn shop and saw a bunch of games, mostly commons and duds, and then in the 360 section, amongst more commons and duds, were 3 PRISTINE condition copies of the following games

Street Fighter IV
Resident Evil 5
Left 4 Dead (which I already have, so this one didn't matter)

I took SFIV and RE5 up to the counter and asked how much. The guy said $20 a piece (which is fucking unbelievable as is), but all I had was $15, so he said he'd let me have one of them for $15. I took RE5 with almost no hesitation, and was on my way. I might stop back there in the next few days/weeks and see if they get anything else new like that in. He looked at the release dates for both games, saw they were new, and STILL said $20 a piece. Consider me floored.

The lesson: Don't be afraid to CIF at pawn shops (if it's within a couple bucks of an already amazing price).

Not really an amazing deal but today I got:

:ps3: Skate 2 (Marked $35)
:br: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - SEALED (Marked $15)

Asked the guy how much for both and he said $40, so I paid and left happy :bouncy:

Been looking to get either Skate title for a decent price, and Goblet of Fire is the only Harry Potter movie I didn't already have

[quote name='eastshore4']Found some great games, but had to pass:

-All 3 Castlevania DS games
-Rondo of Swords
-Legend of Kage 2
-Ninja Gaiden DS
-Another Atlus game that is escaping me at the moment

They were all priced at $19 each, since I was going to buy quite a few I asked if they could knock it down to $15(which personally I thought was fair), but the guy said "no can do, I just put them out here for sale". Unforunately, they seem to tell me that everytime I go there... it kinda ruins the fun of shopping at pawns if they're never willing to haggle. Anyways I passed, normally I cave in to their prices but dammit I'm making a stand!

Speaking of which, I noticed an interesting thing... it's kind of like all of my local pawns have sort of flipped the script when it comes to deals. This pawn used to sell all of their PS2 games at $5 a piece, but now they hesitate to go below $10, wheras another local pawn used to stick with a B2G1 at $12 each price but now they do $5 each or 5 for $20. This happen to anyone else?[/quote]

Both of the local pawn shops by me are run by the same people somewhat and I've noticed that unless I get the one guy who's been there from the start they won't go any lower on prices EVER.

I actually got into a bit of an argument with the one clerk at the further one the one day when I came back in to try and sell a few things I had lying around.

I asked if they could go any lower on the PS1 games they had left, since the other local pawn was doing them for $2 each. I was told no and then I remarked how they had a shitton of PS2/Xbox titles on the wall, to which the clerk replied 'yeah no one seems to want them'.

I was a little annoyed by their being so inflexible on the PS1 prices, so I shot back that it's because they're all priced higher than Gamestop and have no guarantee on them.

Honestly, the local pawns have 'buy*sell*trade' on their business cards AND signage, yet I've never seen them do a single 'trade' in the entire time they've been open.

Today I got a mint copy of :gc:Super Mario Sunshine, and a not so mint :gc:MarioKart: Double Dash complete with bonus disc. I payed $5.00 each.

My pawn has not had any good stuff lately, but friday i did manage to buy a wii for $100 and then sell it for $150 to the game store down the road!!

I picked up the following yesterday:

:360: Gears Of War 2 $9.99
:360: Fallout 3 $9.99
:dvd: Harold and Kumar: Escape From Guantanamo $3
:br: Star Wars: Clone Wars (Sealed) $5.99

got all of it for only $27.86 I almost fell on the floor when I saw Fallout for $.9.99 :hot::hot::whee:

I picked up :360: Tales of Vesperia(complete and mint) and :360: Call of Duty World at War(no instructions, cracked case) for $9 each at a local pawnshop.

[quote name='AEJustin1']I picked up the following yesterday:

:360: Gears Of War 2 $9.99
:360: Fallout 3 $9.99
:dvd: Harold and Kumar: Escape From Guantanamo $3
:br: Star Wars: Clone Wars (Sealed) $5.99

got all of it for only $27.86 I almost fell on the floor when I saw Fallout for $.9.99 :hot::hot::whee:[/QUOTE]

Nice fucking haul dude. My local pawnshop only has old crappy Ps2 titles that are ridiculously overpriced. Not to mention they hiked up the prices on SNES titles. They act like they are all rare :roll:

Yea, I've been looking for a copy of MNF!!!!!!:roll:

my sisters boyfriend sold his xbox 360 elite to the pawn yesterday for $80. He paid about $350 for it during the christmas season. I kept telling him he could get WAY more for it on craigslist but he didn't believe me. I should have bought it off him to flip but it was too late. They said if he wants it back he has to pay $110 within 30 days because he left one of his games inside the tray.

just how the wheel turns i guess

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']my sisters boyfriend sold his xbox 360 elite to the pawn yesterday for $80. He paid about $350 for it during the christmas season. I kept telling him he could get WAY more for it on craigslist but he didn't believe me. I should have bought it off him to flip but it was too late. They said if he wants it back he has to pay $110 within 30 days because he left one of his games inside the tray.

just how the wheel turns i guess[/QUOTE] Hell, you should give him $110 to go back and get it for you.

I live in Houston, Texas, and NEVER have any luck at pawn shops! They are all over the place, and they never have anything good, and when they do, it is usually priced just a couple of dollars below retail. What really kicks me in the ballsack is when I think I find a great game for a steller price and when I ask to take a look at it, I see the game disc has been cracked, mutilated, or includes a game disc that does not match the box art! I don't know why pawn shops carry discs that look like they went through a garbage disposal. Don't they inspect their stuff before they buy it, and don't they take care of what they buy? Obviously not. I don't understand it. It's not always a disappointment, though. I did find Halo 2 for $5 in like-new condition while Best Buy was carrying it for $10. Everyone here who posts finding Final Fantasy 7 for a couple of dollars is extremely lucky. I rarely have that kind of luck.

Has anyone here from Houston had any pawn shop luck?

Here's an example:

Call of Duty: World at War for Xbox 360 with disc and manual, $15 (can negotiate to include tax)
I open the case, and the disc has a deep scratch and probably will not play. I point it out to the pawn shop employee, show them the deep scratch, and explain it will not work, and what does she do? She puts it back under the glass case with the rest of the games so some other sucker will buy it!

You have to wonder sometimes, at the price you're getting it at, what price the seller was when they sold it. I mean, trading into GS and getting the cash option might be better in many cases from what it looks like.

The playstation gods truly favored me this weekend. They told me "my son, u R e"

FF7 GH - $5(seriously I've been looking for over a year for this and when I finally DO find one it's the day after I buy it on the PSN)
Tomba! - $5
Tomba! 2 - $3
Resident Evil 1-3 $5 each(all black label!)
Command & Conquer: Red Alert

I also managed to find some other less notable PSX titles: Doom, Mega Man 8, Mega Man X4, Toshinden 3, and Reloaded al for $3 each.

Not pawn related, but if that wasn't enough I also found a BRAND NEW PSone at a nearby FYE. They had them locked in a cabinent and forgot about them. Got one for $50! The manager approached me when I was walking out(I was expecting her to accuse me of stealing or something) but instead she thanked me for buying the system since apparently they were having a hard time selling it and now she's sending me "a bunch of old PS1 games I have rotting away in my basement". If that wasn't enough, at the pawn where I got RE 1-3 and C&C, ANOTHER woman took notice and offered to give me here old PS1 and N64 games! Sounds totally BS I know, but trust me it's true. Not PS1 games, but I also got Sega Bass Fishing 2 and System Shock 2 for $3 each as well!

This weekend is defnitely my second favorite pawn experience of all time, right behind my great Neo Geo score.

well, Last week I was sad because the ATF shut the local pawn down for selling guns to fellons, but today it was back up and running but with federal agents watching. I tried to get the owner to break apart a 360 bundle so i could get the wi-fi dongle, but had on luck.

I recently got a new bass at my local pawn shop for 125, haggled him down. Its an Ibanex SR300F fretless electric (of course). They usually got for 200 plus and its mint so I'm quite pleased.

The other day I got Silent Hill PS1(Black Label), Parasite Eve Greatest Hits, Abe's Odyssee, Syphon Filter, Tekken, Tomb Raider, and a Gamecube all for $20 at a yard sale.

I have about 3 pawn shops near me but I think they check the prices for all their games online so there is no fooling them =(.

[quote name='VA703']
I have about 3 pawn shops near me but I think they check the prices for all their games online so there is no fooling them =(.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat as you. My local pawn shop is filled with techies, they know the true values of everything, never get any good deals there.

PS2: (used complete, pretty to very good shape)
Tales of the Abyss
Haunting Ground
FF XI Vana'diel 2008
Zone of the Enders (w/o MGS demo)
Network Adapter

Gamecube platinum Wavebird (no receiver)

all for 47 yesterday

Bump this shit up! I forgot to post yesterday because I didn't see the thread.

:ps3: Dead Space Marked $25
:ps3: MLB 09: The Show Marked $45

PAID: $60

I've been meaning to play Dead Space, and I've wanted to pick up the Show since it came out, so it seemed like a no-brainer. Games have some minor shelf wear on the cases, but overall they are both in great condition.

Great finds lolwut?. I went to a few pawn shops yesterday and had a decent haul:

$19.99- 1 wireless Xbox 360 controller w/charger, battery pack
$9.99- 1 wireless Xbox 360 controller w/charger, battery pack
$1.99- Marvel VS Capcom 2 (dreamcast-disc only)
$4.99- Phantasy Star Online 1 & 2 (GameCube)

Not much, but was happy with the price of the games.

Last Wednesday:

GTA IV (360) $10
Valhalla Knights 2 $10
Valk Profile Lenneth *UMD ONLY* $10

There was a rather irate fellow at that store with a copy of prototype in hand... I wanted to stick around and see if he was selling it to them so I could maybe pick it up on the rebound, but he just wanted to put it up for pawn. Considering they sell their 360 games for no more than $10-15, I could only imagine he wouldn't be too happy with the monetary figure they probably gave him.

Last Saturday:

Ratchet and Clank Size Matters (PS2) - $3
Bully - $3
Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland - $3
Metal Slug Anthology (Wii) - $12
Time Crisis 2 *CIB w/ Guncon 2* PLUS TC1 w/ Guncon1 - $15
Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis (PS2) - $5
Duke Nukem 64 - $5
Space Station Silicon Valley - $5
Snowboard Kids - $5

The N64 games were a pretty nice haul IMO, BUT it could've been way better. They had a bunch of AAA N64 games there too; Yoshi's Island, Kirby, Mario Party 1 etc. but they were all priced at like $19 each(Mario Party was $30 for cyring out loud... and this is the same pawn that sold me FF7 and Tomba for $5 each a couple weeks ago!). Even with a discount they were asking way too much so I had to pass.

Oh and just a quick update to my last post... of the two people that promised they would hook me up with free games only the FYE employee came through. There was some really generic pinball games and such in there but there was also a sealed copy of Spongebob Supersponge and complete copies of Spyro 1 & 2, plus you can't go wrong with free!

Just grabbed Motorstorm: Pacific Rift - $13

Flawless condition, never been touched, came with everything. In past weeks, at the same pawn shop, I've managed to grab -

Skate 2 (PS3) - $13
Rise of the Argonauts (PS3) - $10
Incredible Hulk (PS3) - $10
Dark Knight Blu-Ray - $10
DMC 3 SE - $5

Some other stuff I can't remember - the stuff I passed on that I already had was even better.. Uncharted for $7, Resistance 2 for $13, Prince of Persia PS3 for $12 before it got cheap.

I'm fairly certain, without a shadow of a doubt, that the games are being stolen from a nearby store and dumped at the pawn shop... because they had *multiple* copies of Pacific Rift when I went, always multiple copies of all the big PS3 games, but shit selection for everything else (and a ton of Wii shovelware... the kind they don't keep locked up at stores). But don't ask, don't tell, I suppose. A shame I no longer have a reason to go into the area now since I moved.. not driving 45 minutes just for a good deal that may or may not be there since I don't work next store anymore, haha. I kept hoping eventually they would get in a Little Big Planet, because at one point or another every single PS3 major release has filtered through this place multiple times.. but no luck.

At a different pawn shop, I managed to get Halo for $4, and Dragon Quest VIII for $4... both in perfect, complete condtion.

Tampa is the best

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Coper3000']Great finds lolwut?. I went to a few pawn shops yesterday and had a decent haul:

$19.99- 1 wireless Xbox 360 controller w/charger, battery pack
$9.99- 1 wireless Xbox 360 controller w/charger, battery pack
$1.99- Marvel VS Capcom 2 (dreamcast-disc only)
$4.99- Phantasy Star Online 1 & 2 (GameCube)

Not much, but was happy with the price of the games.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. You got those controllers for sweet prices.

Most pawns usually suck ass around here, or they overprice everything. That one has been good to me though, I also picked up Skate 2 on PS3 and one of the Harry Potter movies on Blu sealed for $45.

Best deals i ever got was at a neighborhood garage sale an i picked up final fantasy 7 for ps1 black label for (Drum Roll) A $1!!:hot:
I almost had a panic attack just seeing it and then after asking the dude how much oh lord i almost died:whee:
Posted & Sold On The Bay For $81.25 :D
God Is Good!!

bread's done
Back