Tales of Vesperia NEW at GameCrazy for $29.99

Pck21

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
My buddy has been looking for a new copy of Tales of Vesperia forever and a day now so he decided to just pay full price for the thing. He went to his local GameCrazy and the game was marked at $39.99 brand new. When the guy scanned it, it came up as $29.99, which is what he paid. I'm trying to get him to scan the receipt for proof so I can post it on here, but he's at work right now so that's why I posting this as YMMV. He's definitely not someone who makes up anything and rarely hunts for deals so I believe him 100%. Call your stores and see if this is indeed the price. I hope this helps a few people...

[quote name='lord_ebonstone']a.) Not that limited of a print, unlike DDS.
[/quote]

The premium edition sold 6,700 copies according to the NDP. Since it's now out of print, I don't think that all that many more were made. I imagine that most of the ones on shelves have been sold, and retailers that don't provide numbers to the NDP probably didn't even carry the premium edition at all.

You could be right, of course, since it's all speculation anyways. This is the first special edition of a Tales game, after all.

[quote name='Antic']Yes, there are.[/quote]

Since the one right next to me in Arlington closed down, the closest one is in RI. What a bitch :/

[quote name='weeitzme']is it possible to get a manual from this game from like gamestop or something?[/quote]

Bresoftware, $2.99 + shipping. Dunno if it's still on their website I called since I needed 12+ manuals and/or cases and they said they had it.

EDIT: Not on their site but on their eBay account, which unfortunately means no combined shipping which may ruin the deal.

[quote name='weeitzme']is it possible to get a manual from this game from like gamestop or something?[/QUOTE]

I just went next door to hollywood video and took it out of the display case.

[quote name='RandyTsai']I just went next door to hollywood video and took it out of the display case.[/quote]
LOL i tried that but it was gone

Thanks OP. Grabbed the last copy at my local GC - used unfortunately, but the case/manual were intact and everything was basically mint, so good enough for me.

[quote name='RandyTsai']I just went next door to hollywood video and took it out of the display case.[/quote]

Isn't that stealing?

[quote name='Denbo32']Isn't that stealing?[/quote]

Seriously. There's a difference between cheapassgamer and ethicallyvoidgamer.

The only GameCrazy near me didn't have any new or used :(. I kinda hope this is a universal drop so I can get it somewhere else.

I just had a shady experience at my Gamecrazy.

First, is it $29.99 at all Gamecrazy's?

If so, this was my very odd/shady experience.

1) I took the lone used copy to the checkout (stickered at $49.99 w/MVP)
2) Employee rings it up and does a double take (at the price I'm assuming)
3) Employee then fiddles around with the register for approx. 1 minute, looking a bit uncomfortable
4) Employee tells me my total is $54.xx
5) I question the total, employee assures me price is correct
6) I pay with cash, exit the store, walk to my car, and place my son his car seat
7) I then walk back into the store and ask to return the game (left wife in car with child)
8) Looking uncomfortable again, employee is curious as to why
9) My wife is having a cow that I spent so much (how true! I told her it was $30 brand new)
10) Employee does NOT have $54 in his register, only $30, had to get a manager to unlock the second register for the rest

Keep in mind, I was the only person in the store, and was outside for about 45 seconds. Now, I'm used to games not getting marked down around here in a timely manner, but this employee really struck me as odd. I swear he looked clammy as hell and was sweating a bit.

Is this guy ripping people off or am I a paranoid mofo?

Did you get a receipt? I'm guessing not. It's pretty obvious that he's charging you sticker price even though it's $30 in the sytem and he's pocketing the difference.

I don't see how he can do this consistently though. It would only work on people who don't ask for receipts.

I had a similar experience today. Eventhough I called ahead to conferm the price and it was marked at $29; they tried to sell it to me for 50-something. I reiterated that it was $29 on the phone and that the sticker clearly marked it at $29. He did change the price, but I had to fill out some type of paperwork stating that I purchased it at a different price.

[quote name='Serialkilla']I just had a shady experience at my Gamecrazy.

3) Employee then fiddles around with the register for approx. 1 minute, looking a bit uncomfortable
6) I pay with cash, exit the store, walk to my car, and place my son his car seat
7) I then walk back into the store and ask to return the game (left wife in car with child)
9) My wife is having a cow that I spent so much (how true! I told her it was $30 brand new)
10) Employee does NOT have $54 in his register, only $30, had to get a manager to unlock the second register for the rest

Keep in mind, I was the only person in the store, and was outside for about 45 seconds. Now, I'm used to games not getting marked down around here in a timely manner, but this employee really struck me as odd. I swear he looked clammy as hell and was sweating a bit.

Is this guy ripping people off or am I a paranoid mofo?[/QUOTE]

Is this guy ripping people off or am I a paranoid mofo?[/QUOTE]

All the GCs I went to, even the ones without stock stated that the new price was $29.99 in the system and $24.99 used. If you guys don't mind used, I believe the Colton, CA GC has two used copies (at least they did on Saturday afternoon at ~5PM). The sticker price for the used copies DID say $49.99 though.

If they are giving you a hard time, you could try calling up another Game Crazy while you're there to confirm the pricing. I'm pretty sure prices are universal among the stores.

[quote name='henhowc']All the GCs I went to, even the ones without stock stated that the new price was $29.99 in the system and $24.99 used. If you guys don't mind used, I believe the Colton, CA GC has two used copies (at least they did on Saturday afternoon at ~5PM). The sticker price for the used copies DID say $49.99 though.

If they are giving you a hard time, you could try calling up another Game Crazy while you're there to confirm the pricing. I'm pretty sure prices are universal among the stores.[/quote]

I think they're universal prices too. In my (admittedly few, for a reason) experiences with GameCrazy, I've found that most of the employees are really strange. None of them have tried to rip me off, but some try persuade me not to buy a game or talk to me like I'm an idiot. I'd call them out on it, but they might try to pull some lame excuse saying that the price was changed before you bought Vesperia and they can only give you $25 back

Last edited by a moderator:
Either he pocketed the money or he's the dumbest person to ever work in retail. But if you paid cash and 45 seconds later there's not enough cash in the register, then it's likely the former. Especially with him doing the shifty-eye cartoon thing.

[quote name='albino_hippo']I think they're universal prices too. In my (admittedly few, for a reason) experiences with GameCrazy, I've found that most of the employees are really strange. None of them have tried to rip me off, but some try persuade me not to buy a game or talk to me like I'm an idiot. I'd call them out on it, but they might try to pull some lame excuse saying that the price was changed before you bought Vesperia and they can only give you $25 back[/QUOTE]

My GameCrazys are weird too. All the employees are usually douchebags (or douchebagettes) who don't know anything about games unless they're called Halo or Call of Duty.

Is this guy ripping people off or am I a paranoid mofo?[/quote]

You got hosed. He manually marked up the price. I'd definitely ask to speak to the manager, then the district manager.

Either way, he won't be working there long. Every manual edit is sent to DM's for reviews, someone will definitely wonder why he marked a game up double.

Did you get a receipt?

Sorry, I'd like to reiterate that all GameCrazy's in my area (Sacramento, CA) have this game for $59 new and $49 used.

I don't know where this sale is happening but well done if you can find it at that price.

It should scan at this price. I double checked it again this morning to make sure it was still this price and it is. Even if it's marked $59.99 new/$49.99 used, when scanned, it will show up $29.99 new/$24.99 used.. multiple people have confirmed this.. GameCrazy price drops aren't YMMV.. though some deals are, like B2G1F, etc.. but price drops aren't..

I have the receipt and tried talking to the manager tonight, but he was swamped and wants me to get with him tomorrow.

There is no way that money still shouldn't have been in there (the till). Hell, I even re-upped my MVP card so there should have been $10 extra.

I just wanted to make sure that Gamecrazy drops were universal before I talked with management.

Thanks all!

The Game Crazy near me had a used copy that rang up for $49.99 at about 8:30PM.
The employee even showed me the register screen to prove it.
I had called on Sunday, and it was $24.99.

[quote name='Optical']Anyone pick it up for $30 at a Hollywood Video? I was going to stop by tonight, but didn't have time.[/quote]
don't bother, it's $60 still at hollywood

yea prices went back up in the system. Manager there even showed me the screen but she gave it to me for 30 because display was stickered at 30.Remember if the prices are back up make sure you check the display box (some might have the 30 dollar price on it) because some stores are to lazy to change the price. Definitely hurry before stores noticed.

[quote name='emperorx']The Game Crazy near me had a used copy that rang up for $49.99 at about 8:30PM.
The employee even showed me the register screen to prove it.[/quote]
This is what happened to me. It's not $24.99/29.99 at any GameCrazy in the Sacramento, CA area.

Damn, that sucks... I guess I should consider myself lucky that I got it for $30 then. Too bad too as I was hoping to try and find a used copy of the special edition.

[quote name='62t']If it is tagged at $29.99 most store would give it to you at that price[/quote]

This is definately YMMV though because Game Crazy pricing policy is that whatever it scans for in system is what they have to sell it at.
This is a CYA policy for stores too lazy to change prices or because game crazy seems to have a lot of phantom price changes that never make it to the price change sheet.

If any CAGs picked up an extra copy and would be willing to sell it to me for a finders fee, PM me so we can talk.

Weird, why was my "I'll check tomorrow" post deleted!?

Anyway, I've been under the weather but I got out of the house just for you guys.. yes, it's back up to $59.99 new/$49.99 used. Deal dead.

I managed to find a Premium edition at a nearby store. It's still 69.99, but is it worth getting a sealed copy to trade/sell? I already have a premium copy that I got at launch. Is the premium version that rare to be actually selling for $100+, or is it just hopefuls trying to get the most out of it?

Edit: And what's with the outrageous price on the strat guide? It's not even that great of a guide... same deal as the premium version of the game?

I picked this up earlier this week as part of the sale, and had a difficult time looking for the strategy guide (cheapest place I could find it was online at half.com, ebay, and amazon.com for upwards of 30-40 bucks or more). Today I got the bright idea of checking the publisher's website (Bradygames) and lo and behold they have it for $19.99! If you join the site (it's free) it takes it down to $16.99, and with shipping and tax made it around $20! So, anyone looking for the strategy guide should look into this!

[quote name='brennjc']I picked this up earlier this week as part of the sale, and had a difficult time looking for the strategy guide (cheapest place I could find it was online at half.com, ebay, and amazon.com for upwards of 30-40 bucks or more). Today I got the bright idea of checking the publisher's website (Bradygames) and lo and behold they have it for $19.99! If you join the site (it's free) it takes it down to $16.99, and with shipping and tax made it around $20! So, anyone looking for the strategy guide should look into this![/QUOTE]

Well there is also the problem of the guide being complete crap. It haven't any map, doesnt explain how to get all the titles and other secret.

..I really wish I knew the ToV guide was hard to run across. We've had some in the back forever collecting dust. They're gone now though. Gah.

Are there any other rare guides!? lol

bread's done
Back