Tales of Xillia coming to the US/EU in 2013

KillerRamen

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
I was wondering if this was going to get released. I was hoping it would have been announced at E3, but Namco announcing it on Facebook works too.

399413_470685492960997_1893711131_n.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.470685462961000.118576.171035032926046&type=1

Ha, going through Graces F right now. I'm on chapter 5.

Took me forever to get to the game since my sister likes the Tale series and she got to it before I could.( was playing another game at the time I bought it)

Is Xillia considered Better or worse than Graces or Vesperia?

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Ha, going through Graces F right now. I'm on chapter 5.

Took me forever to get to the game since my sister likes the Tale series and she got to it before I could.( was playing another game at the time I bought it)

Is Xillia considered Better or worse than Graces or Vesperia?[/QUOTE]

Seems to be a matter of opinion, but I think overall it's considered not as good as either.

I sure hope I like this better than Graces. What a disappointing turd IMO.

Xillia is FAR more enjoyable than Graces was for me. It seemed a lot more Adult than that "friendship" rubbish Graces brought to the table.

I heard this was the best PS3 Tales game so I am glad they are finally localizing it.

fuck yeah!

I guess enough copies of Tales of Grace F sold for the localization of this game. Hopefully this means more in the future.

[quote name='bjstucker']Xillia is FAR more enjoyable than Graces was for me. It seemed a lot more Adult than that "friendship" rubbish Graces brought to the table.[/QUOTE]

Nice.

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']They just announced it is coming this summer. Perfect timing IMO. Not too much coming out and it avoids the fall/winter window where all the big titles come out :D

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/22/tales-of-xillia-coming-this-summer-graces-f-hits-psn-next-week/[/QUOTE]

Part of me wants to wait in case this gets released in Europe later on with a special edition (which actually ended up being a few bucks cheaper than the price of the NA copy at the time).

Then again, I didn't really want Graces f that much anyway but this game looks like it's the first step forward for the series since Symphonia. Plus, I really wanna see Xillia 2 here (though that game apparently has it's fair share of problems).

Don't know which I will play first this or Dragon's Crown considering I have played this already probably Dragon's Crown unless that ends up being horrible.

I just picked up my copy. Can't wait to play this tonight. One of the few games I don't mind paying full price for.

I loved just about every game in the series but I couldn't get into Graces. I got about 20 hours in and it was just boring. The story and characters weren't bad, but the battle system didn't do it for me. But Xillia looks to be a return to it's proper form.

I have it but probably won't tear into it til tomorrow. Wife had her wisdom teeth removed, been catering to her most of the day (thought she'd be knocked out dammit!) I've enjoyed just about every tales game so far (with exception of Dawn of a New World that was terrible) I though Graces was fun comfort food. I'm sure this one will be a lot of fun too.

Awesome! Day 1 purchase... I thought it was only going to be on PSN.
It's already out, day 1 was yesterday.

Xillia is fun as hell. Leveling is similar to FFX and DDS where you have a grid. And I like the expand feature for the shops. Combat couldn't be better. I've been using Alvin the most.

Anyone else come across the conversation about "properties of being a catcher"? I got a good laugh out of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang, the expand shop is brilliant. I was always warping back and forth in Graces trying to find specific items and weapons for dualizing. Xillia introduces a new way, at least to me, for weapon/armor shops to progress. And even makes it an added game element, collecting materials to donate to upgrade stock and discounts.

Edit: Digital version is $5 off like Ni No Kuni was, if digital is your thing

Yes, and it did poorly in reviews. However, it has been confirmed that it is making its way over to the states regardless.
i hope they can come with another collectors edition, but at lower price like $79.99, or maybe include a steelbook this time with statue. one can dream . lol

Symphonia 2 was terrible as well. What's up with the sequels sucking? But yeah, much like the FF series this is a stand alone story. There are common series references like Aifread, maybe a few dress up items.

Anyone know if there's an overworld map in this game? So far it's been a linear path much like FFX. Not that I mind it that much but I always preferred the traditional town/world map/dungeon layout.

6 hours in and it hasn't been too challenging. But then again I enjoy combat so much I often get into fights that I could probably just pass up. Starting to get the hang of link arts but still I often miss the opportunity to press R2.

One more note is I just replaced the bulb in my DLP yesterday after several years. Holy cow what a difference. This would probably be the perfect game to showcase color.

I watch the bar/gauge to the left, the X flashes when a link is available. Then I'll do a quick move that I know current partner will link with, hitting R2 with it. You can get 3-5 links before gauge fills I think, before it does a link chance for bonus damage. I save full gauge for beginning of a fight.

Also, I think I've given up on charged spells. There is never enough time to cast any without being interrupted, no matter how good the link partner is at blocking for me. It's a shame because if you can pull off a fire circle linked, it does major AoE damage. I do have the game set to hard, maybe that's it. Only on bosses was I able to circle and cast with no worry, regular mobs just gang up on me.

What's up with only being able to carry 1 food dish of 1 type? Ah well, I think that's what they wanted so you'd have to buy 1 of each small, medium, large. Which promote leveling that shop. I eat a dish at shop, then buy 1 of each I use.

The shop system is awesome.  My favorite part of the game so far.  Everything else has been enjoyable, though there is absolutely nothing new here.  Whether or not that turns into boredom remains to be seen, but I'm only a bit over 4 hours in at this point.  Way too early to judge anything, but first impressions are positive.  Definitely miles ahead of Graces... which isn't saying much, but hey, it's part of the same series.

Linking artes & attacks is about the biggest upgrade I can gather so far. I'm only 7 hours in but I can already tell this feature is going to get much more involved.

Question about linking. What should I be doing to activate these more? I'd like to experiment but I'm not 100% sure what the best method is for filling up the bar.

Linking artes & attacks is about the biggest upgrade I can gather so far. I'm only 7 hours in but I can already tell this feature is going to get much more involved.

Question about linking. What should I be doing to activate these more? I'd like to experiment but I'm not 100% sure what the best method is for filling up the bar.
From my eyeballing, I think "doing well" in a battles gives you more link chances. I'd imagine stuff like, higher combos, hitting weaknesses, hitting backside of enemies, partner linking abilities.

Why I think this is because I had a flashing X on my gauge, and I was trying to do a charge arte so I could link it for massive damage, but kept getting hit/interrupted. Before I pulled it off, it stopped flashing and I lost it. Doing bad = lose link arte all together.

I am absolutely loving this game.  I haven't had much time to play the last few days because of softball but man I love everything about it so far.  The shop upgrading is kind of addictive, I found myself fighting everything to get more materials to level up my shops. 

The combat is so fluid and IMO very intuitive.  Chaining together and linking is so smooth.  Just need to memorize the artes that link with each person.  I'm about 9 hours in myself.  Didn't know what to think about Teepo initially but he's grown on me.

And the annoyances begin... Looks like they're going for one of those really dumb betrayal plot "twists," and Teepo's voice is just unbearable.  I think I'll just mash the X button whenever Teepo's talking and see if I can deal with that.  It's a damn shame because otherwise the voice acting has been very tolerable thus far

They should have kept everything like the JP version. US version, of course,always tones down the graphical scenes and IMO ruins the game atmosphere. Also, I noticed that they completely changed Tipo's name and gender in the US version.

I can also say Xillia 2 story did lack a bit, but the battle system definitely got better and way more smoother. If only they took away the mandatory grinding -.-

Teepo is by far the single worst thing in the game. It's design is absolutely atrocious, but maybe thats the running joke in the game where everyone thinks it's ugly except Elize. That voice is like nails to my brain.

I kinda screwed myself the other day. I stayed up way too late playing this Saturday night. Got 3 hours of sleep when my daughter woke me up. I was sleep depraved the entire day and got a little sick over it. Now my wife is forcing me to got to bed right after I get off work until I feel better. It's my own damn fault for not taking care of myself but I just couldn't put Xillia down. 

I kinda screwed myself the other day. I stayed up way too late playing this Saturday night. Got 3 hours of sleep when my daughter woke me up. I was sleep depraved the entire day and got a little sick over it. Now my wife is forcing me to got to bed right after I get off work until I feel better. It's my own damn fault for not taking care of myself but I just couldn't put Xillia down.
I pretty much did the same thing. Except I'm the opposite, I don't have issues forgetting what time it is to go to sleep. However my internal clock will wake me up at like 3-4AM for whatever stupid reason on the rare occasion I do full day gaming sessions.

I'm near the end of the game already on the Milla route and it has been pretty good. There are definitely a few disappointments, but overall it has been pretty damn enjoyable and in terms of characters/story, it's miles better than Graces in that department.

So, real talk: does anyone actually like the awkward, horribly written sexual "humor" in this game (or modern JRPGs in general)?  I just got done watching the GameTrailers video review of this, and I don't think my wife and I have facepalmed that hard in a long time.  Bonus pedo points for the terrible innuendo coming out of a bunch of preteen lookalikes. 

So, real talk: does anyone actually like the awkward, horribly written sexual "humor" in this game (or modern JRPGs in general)? I just got done watching the GameTrailers video review of this, and I don't think my wife and I have facepalmed that hard in a long time. Bonus pedo points for the terrible innuendo coming out of a bunch of preteen lookalikes.
I haven't seen the GT review so I'm not sure what scenes you're referring to. It does seem out of place at times considering the innocent nature of most the characters. The sex humor doesn't run rampant in the game. Mainly showing up in those optional boxed cutscenes. With that said I find funny in an awkward kinda way. I chuckled a few times.

So, real talk: does anyone actually like the awkward, horribly written sexual "humor" in this game (or modern JRPGs in general)? I just got done watching the GameTrailers video review of this, and I don't think my wife and I have facepalmed that hard in a long time. Bonus pedo points for the terrible innuendo coming out of a bunch of preteen lookalikes.
That only happens during the skits, as far as the main story goes it's always serious. I personally liked those skits, I thought they were funny. I especially liked one of the skits where the phrase "Come at me bro" came up, I couldn't resist laughing at that one(Maybe I'm just a little weird though).

picked up the US version last night for 30$ haven't put it in yet but considering Iliked the JP version I hope the voices do not make the game exceptionally worse.

picked up the US version last night for 30$ haven't put it in yet but considering Iliked the JP version I hope the voices do not make the game exceptionally worse.
If you generally don't like dubs, you probably won't like these. I mean I didn't mind them, but at the same time I never played the jp version, so I never heard those voice overs.

The dub is definitely above average.  Some of them I turn off entirely (Soul Hackers good god) but this is very bearable.  Just skip Teepo's dialogue.

For a point of reference, what did you think of Graces', Symphonia's, and Vesperia's dubs?
I don't really have many bad things to say about the dubbing. The Tales series dubs are generally pretty good. I didn't like Graces as a game but I thought the dub was fine. I don't remember Symphonia much. Now Vesperia & Abyss I thought were quite good.

bread's done
Back