Target Clearance Thread XXIV

Not for Powerwash Simulator, but I've had Target do that to me for several other games.  Sometimes they are sent after a couple approve delays emails, but sometimes they are canceled even if you don't miss the approve delay emails. Those automatic cancellations usually happen after about 6 approve delay emails.

Did anyone else pre-order Powerwash Simulator from Target? Physical copies released on 6/13...
Now every Tuesday I've had to wake up and approve another delay. This happened with Evil West as well, but I had to approve a delay twice for that game, not four times!

Had a coupon when I bought this, so kinda don't wanna cancel...

attachicon.gif
Screenshot 2023-07-18 084603.jpg
I can’t speak for others, but in my experience, Target is terrible when it comes to preorders. In practically every instance, the item has been delayed well past release date. Had preordered Dishonored 2 years ago when the website accidentally had it priced for $19.99 and had to deal with what you posted above. Multiple instances of approving/updating the order before the game was eventually sent. Had preordered Hades back when it was included in a B2G1 free sale. Didn’t arrive until nearly three weeks after its release date. Worst example was Horizon: Forbidden West. Had preordered the game like six months in advance because of a Circle coupon that applied to the game. Game was inexplicably ‘delayed’ for like a week and a half past the release date, despite the fact that I could go to my local store and find tons of copies on the shelf. Ended up buying it local the day after release and returning the shipped copy with the store receipt when it finally arrived.

Sometimes I honestly wonder if they intentionally do that with items that have some sort of discount applied, in hopes that people cancel the order. Entirely speculation though—I just can’t see a company as big as Target being so consistently incompetent when it comes to securing and shipping preordered items in a timely fashion. But here we are talking about it again.

To add to that: I do not remember what deal I used but I had pre ordered AEW Fight Forever for about $40 ages ago. At one point I received the email to approve the new release date. I did this and everything was fine. In the wait I pre ordered FFXVI. I receive an email for FFXVI saying there is an issue with my credit card (it is a Target credit card and there was no issue) and I had to fix it. I made sure the expiration date was good and there was not a new card sent and it was all fine. I never received this email for my AEW order. A week later they flat out canceled my AEW order saying there is an issue with my payment. There was no issue with my payment though.

I have had decent luck with receiving pre orders they do not cancel on me within a reasonable amount of time, usually a day or two after release. FFXVI actually showed up on release date.

Did anyone else pre-order Powerwash Simulator from Target? Physical copies released on 6/13...
Now every Tuesday I've had to wake up and approve another delay. This happened with Evil West as well, but I had to approve a delay twice for that game, not four times!

Had a coupon when I bought this, so kinda don't wanna cancel...

Screenshot 2023-07-18 084603.jpg
Been going through this with Front Mission for several weeks now, despite preordering several months in advance. I've had a few action figure preorders cancelled on me in the past after doing this dance for a couple months. Usually they come through, but every now and then I get hosed.

To add to that: I do not remember what deal I used but I had pre ordered AEW Fight Forever for about $40 ages ago. At one point I received the email to approve the new release date. I did this and everything was fine. In the wait I pre ordered FFXVI. I receive an email for FFXVI saying there is an issue with my credit card (it is a Target credit card and there was no issue) and I had to fix it. I made sure the expiration date was good and there was not a new card sent and it was all fine. I never received this email for my AEW order. A week later they flat out canceled my AEW order saying there is an issue with my payment. There was no issue with my payment though.

I have had decent luck with receiving pre orders they do not cancel on me within a reasonable amount of time, usually a day or two after release. FFXVI actually showed up on release date.
I can't get the Target app/website to accept anything except my PayPal now.

Been going through this with Front Mission for several weeks now, despite preordering several months in advance. I've had a few action figure preorders cancelled on me in the past after doing this dance for a couple months. Usually they come through, but every now and then I get hosed.
I had the same issue with Front Mission from Target, even had preordered it the first few hours it was available on the site. I eventually just canceled the order and ordered it at BBY when they started the B2G1 free Switch promotion with $49.99 My BBY membership tier.

Dumbass me was thinking I'd use it Friday on Disney Illusion Island but then I realized almost anything good is excluded.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have make 5 purchases of $80 or more and get $35.  I will probably buy some 3rd party gift cards because I also have an offer on my Discover card to get 5% back at Target July and August (up for $1000 spend).  Since I’m in my 1st year on that, they double my cashback (so 10% back).  

I have make 5 purchases of $80 or more and get $35. I will probably buy some 3rd party gift cards because I also have an offer on my Discover card to get 5% back at Target July and August (up for $1000 spend). Since I’m in my 1st year on that, they double my cashback (so 10% back).
I have to make 4 purchases of $80 to get $30. It's ridiculous.

In November/December I could hit those marks legitimately because there’s other deals, but now not so much. Last one I got was spend $75 4 times in a month and I didn’t even do that once.

It’s one of the rare deals that hardly has any exclusions, but I need clearance or decent sales to get me to bite.

Ahh good ole Target just randomly throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. These bonus offers commonly have somewhat demanding requirements and it seems it's rarely more than a 10% return at best... if that. So most of the time I don't really care and they are just left to expire.

They got worse because you can simply order separate orders for store pick up to hit the target amount. Receive the bonus even though you haven't picked them up yet. Spend the bonus and then cancel the orders. People took advantage of it and that's why we can't have nice things.

They got worse because you can simply order separate orders for store pick up to hit the target amount. Receive the bonus even though you haven't picked them up yet. Spend the bonus and then cancel the orders. People took advantage of it and that's why we can't have nice things.
Think that loophole was closed off. I haven’t gotten credit until I pick stuff up.

I know there are many people who buy Disney gift cards at pay off their Disney vacations or the dues for their Disney timeshares. Red card discounts the GCs by 5% and these offers are just gravy on top. For them, it’s easy to reach the spend requirements.

Wonder if anyone’s been banned doing that. Usually for me it doesn’t count until I pick up or the item has been delivered to me. Yup I assumed once the item ships but it’s once it’s delivered lol

Honestly, they deserve it. Such malicious nonsense to get people to spend more than they need should be taken advantage of. They certainly have no problems doing so to us.

Malicious nonsense?  They are offering a coupon/promotion to those spending  a certain amount at the store.  If you are already going to be spending those amounts at the store its a nice little bonus.  If not, well just ignore the promotion.

Not to justify it in any way because that's just abuse, but the onus should also be on Target to A) put a moratorium period on any kind of bonus 'payouts' like this and B) invalidate it if an order return/cancellation is done.

Not to justify it in any way because that's just abuse, but the onus should also be on Target to A) put a moratorium period on any kind of bonus 'payouts' like this and B) invalidate it if an order return/cancellation is done.
A) can definitely be done on their part.

B) cannot be done because they have already agreed to sell to you at that point at the price. Plus the item has already been picked up, Target can no longer charge you more than what you agreed to pay. That would be a lawsuit waiting to happen if they tried to do that.

The whole idea behind it is "The more you buy, the more you save". Not to mention that generally speaking if a customer has a gift card then they will spend 3X what is on the gift card when redeeming it. $20 gift card = $60 purchase on average.

Malicious nonsense? They are offering a coupon/promotion to those spending a certain amount at the store. If you are already going to be spending those amounts at the store its a nice little bonus. If not, well just ignore the promotion.
While we're not the target (ha. . .) of these promos, they prey on people with affinity to sunk cost logic. It's psychologically reasonable for someone to evaluate what they needed vs what they could spend more on to save via these promos. Starbucks practically perfected this with targeted promos to earn bonus stars. I've personally never gone out of my way to make these work out, but I'll absolutely take the savings when they do.

Point being, these are not offered out of kindness; they're fishing for people with poor reasoning skills.

While we're not the target (ha. . .) of these promos, they prey on people with affinity to sunk cost logic. It's psychologically reasonable for someone to evaluate what they needed vs what they could spend more on to save via these promos. Starbucks practically perfected this with targeted promos to earn bonus stars. I've personally never gone out of my way to make these work out, but I'll absolutely take the savings when they do.

Point being, these are not offered out of kindness; they're fishing for people with poor reasoning skills.
Agreed. And it's fair to say literally every retailer sets out to do this with almost every promotion/sale.

The last few times I've gotten a Circle "spend x, get y" deal it's been the Spend $120 4x to get $30. I'm assuming the algorthm caught on that I only buy cheap stuff they're not making any money on and adjusted itelf accordingly. 

A) can definitely be done on their part.

B) cannot be done because they have already agreed to sell to you at that point at the price. Plus the item has already been picked up, Target can no longer charge you more than what you agreed to pay. That would be a lawsuit waiting to happen if they tried to do that.

The whole idea behind it is "The more you buy, the more you save". Not to mention that generally speaking if a customer has a gift card then they will spend 3X what is on the gift card when redeeming it. $20 gift card = $60 purchase on average.
Well the Target offers in question that folks have been discussing here are "bonus" offers that are done via Target Circle earnings (basically store credit) that you receive to use on a future purchase (and not a discount on the current purchase), so I don't quite understand where you were going there.

Anyway how would this be any different from when you used to earn rewards points from Best Buy for example? There was a waiting period to be issued said points, and if you the returned the order within that period then it negated the rewards earnings. So likewise all Target has to do is adopt the same process here.

Well the Target offers in question that folks have been discussing here are "bonus" offers that are done via Target Circle earnings (basically store credit) that you receive to use on a future purchase (and not a discount on the current purchase), so I don't quite understand where you were going there.

Anyway how would this be any different from when you used to earn rewards points from Best Buy for example? There was a waiting period to be issued said points, and if you the returned the order within that period then it negated the rewards earnings. So likewise all Target has to do is adopt the same process here.
The Bonus offers were effectively free product if you did it correctly. Because previously say you had Spend $120 on 4 separate transactions. You could do 4 separate orders for store pick up to 4 different stores. Once the 4 separate orders exceeding $120 were ready for pick up. Target showed that you had qualified for the Target Circle reward. At that point, you would make a 5th transaction and purchase using your newly acquired Target Circle reward which you got for free. Pick up the order and keep the discount. Then cancel the original 4 orders. So while it was technically store credit or however you want to look at it. You got store credit, free or discounted product for absolutely nothing. Target has the terms and conditions but they hadn't followed through on them ultimately.

Because Target doesn't accrue points if you use a Redcard. It's 1% back OR 5% off with Redcard. Best Buy would have the points go negative on your account until you purchased enough to offset. As long as you utilized Redcard then you had no penalty.

The Bonus offers were effectively free product if you did it correctly. Because previously say you had Spend $120 on 4 separate transactions. You could do 4 separate orders for store pick up to 4 different stores. Once the 4 separate orders exceeding $120 were ready for pick up. Target showed that you had qualified for the Target Circle reward. At that point, you would make a 5th transaction and purchase using your newly acquired Target Circle reward which you got for free. Pick up the order and keep the discount. Then cancel the original 4 orders. So while it was technically store credit or however you want to look at it. You got store credit, free or discounted product for absolutely nothing. Target has the terms and conditions but they hadn't followed through on them ultimately.

Because Target doesn't accrue points if you use a Redcard. It's 1% back OR 5% off with Redcard. Best Buy would have the points go negative on your account until you purchased enough to offset. As long as you utilized Redcard then you had no penalty.
And like I said that's why you institute a waiting period to issue such rewards so that you can't just abuse the system by doing returns. Basically you wait until after the return window closes and verify at that time that things remain in order.

PSA for Target Circle people who got the 20% college student coupon...

Target went ahead and cancelled my Spiderman 2 PS5 console that had the coupon on it with this language:

We’re sorry to inform you that we had to cancel an item from your order #xxxxxxx. There was an issue on our end that prevented us from fulfilling your item. You have not been charged for the canceled item.

If you would still like to receive this item please reorder it now if possible. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thank you for being our guest.
It's not sold out and there's no issue with the card, which tells me they realized the coupon was able to be used on something that wasn't intended and cancelled. And of course because it's a one-time use coupon, it's gone. Target's CS can't even restore a coupon back to an account.

I had preordered Spiderman 2 and Mortal Kombat 1 over a month ago uising a 20% coupon I had in circle and 2 weeks later they cancelled the whole order. Of course, my coupon is long gone and they want me to spend $100+ four times to earn $35 now. Uh, how about no........

I had preordered Spiderman 2 and Mortal Kombat 1 over a month ago uising a 20% coupon I had in circle and 2 weeks later they cancelled the whole order. Of course, my coupon is long gone and they want me to spend $100+ four times to earn $35 now. Uh, how about no........
Yeah did the same to me. If you hop on chat, they'll do some research and give you the same story that was in the email. BUT they will at least give you a reference number that you can use to get the 20% off again. It's stupid af that they can't just generate a 1-time use 20% off 1 item code, so I guess it's something.

It is hilarious that they couldn't just say you used the coupon on an invalid item. Just own up to it.

New PS5 (supposedly / definitely) on it's way (this year)

Still though. Tempted af
The question is whether you are referring to A) reports that have been around for awhile now of a revision without an optical drive for physical games (but which will be able to be added as an accessory), presumably so that they can reduce the price of the console at the high end but also cut costs by manufacturing just a single model or B) just the latest rumors about an upgraded Pro model. If the latter even exists I seriously doubt you are getting it this year.

I don't understand a revision with all the talk of new consoles in 2026, why upgrade (presumably next year) and then have a whole new console 2 years later?, and how big of a leap would a new console be if the current one was just revised?

I don't understand a revision with all the talk of new consoles in 2026, why upgrade (presumably next year) and then have a whole new console 2 years later?, and how big of a leap would a new console be if the current one was just revised?
I don't think a PS6 will release before 2028. A Pro version next year will help them bridge the gap. What Microsoft is planning is anyones guess. I feel like they have boxed themselves in a corner with the Series S.

[attachment=38103:IMG_0117.jpeg]
Haven’t seen a clearance item at my Target I’ve wanted in a year+. Grabbing this one and only video game item I found today.

bread's done
Back