Tea Party Protests on Tax Day

[quote name='elprincipe']The part when you said Cubans and Venezuelans are represented "as well" as we are by their "elected" representatives. I won't say we are represented well - we aren't - but that is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]
thrust said it, not me. So are you saying Cubans and Venezuelans are represented, but not by elected officials?

[quote name='rickonker']I'm just saying, that's how representative democracy works. You are considered to be represented whether or not your views are represented. There are literally billions of people who apparently believe this makes sense.

(I'm not one of them.)[/quote]

its called a republic the US is a not a democracy it is a republic.

It doesn't make complete sense but neither does full democracy which is a fallacy at the fundamental level. The idea that majority is the best way to decide or act on something.

I was watching fox news report on this and I saw like 3 Rand signs and that terrified me more than that youtube video posted above.

[quote name='gareman']its called a republic the US is a not a democracy it is a republic.

It doesn't make complete sense but neither does full democracy which is a fallacy at the fundamental level. The idea that majority is the best way to decide or act on something.

I was watching fox news report on this and I saw like 3 Rand signs and that terrified me more than that youtube video posted above.[/QUOTE]

Like in the other thread, I don't think you've understood the post you're responding to. Aside from being a republic, do you actually think the US doesn't operate as a representative democracy?

[quote name='rickonker']thrust said it, not me. So are you saying Cubans and Venezuelans are represented, but not by elected officials?[/QUOTE]

Whoops, sorry for the ID confusion there.

Cubans aren't represented by any real elected representatives as far as I know. Venezuelans are in somewhat of a better situation, although their elected president is currently doing everything he can to subvert what representation they have. I'm saying that it's laughable to think that Cubans and Venezuelans are represented as well in their government as Americans are in ours, despite our government's ineptitude and corruption, since those pale in comparison to the oppression, ineptitude and corruption, among other unpleasant things, experienced by Venezuelans and especially Cubans.

[quote name='elprincipe']Whoops, sorry for the ID confusion there.

Cubans aren't represented by any real elected representatives as far as I know. Venezuelans are in somewhat of a better situation, although their elected president is currently doing everything he can to subvert what representation they have. I'm saying that it's laughable to think that Cubans and Venezuelans are represented as well in their government as Americans are in ours, despite our government's ineptitude and corruption, since those pale in comparison to the oppression, ineptitude and corruption, among other unpleasant things, experienced by Venezuelans and especially Cubans.[/QUOTE]
I see what you're saying. But now we're just talking about "less bad" and not "good".

[quote name='Boeing 747']It makes me laugh to try to see the neo-conservative groups all try to take this as their own when if I'm right it was started by the more libertarian wing of the party (Ron Paul types that were laughed at during their debates).[/QUOTE]

As fucking pure nutjob as Paul's ideals are, they are gaining more and more credence amongst Republicans.

And I'll believe that this was "nonpartisan" on the same day I believe Lou Dobbs isn't racist. Which is to say never.

[quote name='rickonker']I see what you're saying. But now we're just talking about "less bad" and not "good".[/QUOTE]

If you go back to the original post I quoted, it was (direct quote) "just as good" representation. So it's not just now that we are talking about that; it was the original argument.

[quote name='rickonker']Like in the other thread, I don't think you've understood the post you're responding to. Aside from being a republic, do you actually think the US doesn't operate as a representative democracy?[/quote]

Well a representative democracy (a government were decisions are made based on a majority vote by elected officials) and a republic (a government were sometimes elected officials vote on how to up hold a charter) seem pretty different to me, so no I don't think we are a representative democracy, as I stated before, we are a republic.

I don't know why I am responding to you anymore I am sure you will just insult me, point out a spelling error, or just say I missed the point without addressing anything I am saying.

[quote name='elprincipe']If you go back to the original post I quoted, it was (direct quote) "just as good" representation. So it's not just now that we are talking about that; it was the original argument.[/QUOTE]

No you're right, I'm just saying the topic as a whole doesn't seem too important when we all apparently agree that they both suck.

[quote name='gareman']Well a representative democracy (a government were decisions are made based on a majority vote by elected officials) and a republic (a government were sometimes elected officials vote on how to up hold a charter) seem pretty different to me, so no I don't think we are a representative democracy, as I stated before, we are a republic.[/quote]

And when you look at the process by which the Constitution is amended, do you still think the US isn't a representative democracy?

I don't know why I am responding to you anymore I am sure you will just insult me, point out a spelling error, or just say I missed the point without addressing anything I am saying.

None of the above.

[quote name='mykevermin']As fucking pure nutjob as Paul's ideals are, they are gaining more and more credence amongst Republicans.

And I'll believe that this was "nonpartisan" on the same day I believe Lou Dobbs isn't racist. Which is to say never.[/QUOTE]

Conservative congressmen speaking at tea party:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QsY2r7HbTM

Another video you'll never see on mainstream news.

But I'm sure you'll explain to us how it was either all staged, just a fluke, or doesn't matter because of how "partisan" the other rallies were, right?

:roll:

[quote name='rickonker']

And when you look at the process by which the Constitution is amended, do you still think the US isn't a representative democracy?[/quote]
The act of amending a constitution is still following a charter is it not.

[quote name='gareman']The act of amending a constitution is still following a charter is it not.[/QUOTE]
And what limits are placed on the electorate when they democratically amend it?

Oh and BTW, going by your definitions
a representative democracy (a government were decisions are made based on a majority vote by elected officials) and a republic (a government were sometimes elected officials vote on how to up hold a charter)
which do you think better fits the way the US actually works today?

[quote name='thrustbucket']
Another video you'll never see on mainstream news.[/quote]

I think I speak for everyone else here when I say 'thanks' for sharing.

[quote name='perdition(troy']I now realize I have to admit something that obama is good at. Spending other peoples money.[/QUOTE]

perdition(troy, meet politics.

bread's done
Back