Team Fortress 2 Discussion Thread

I hardly ever play soldier so I got my ass kicked around. But I like the Direct Hit. Everybody was playing soldier and demo tonight and it felt like UT/Quake 3. Good times.

I think the inventory is a bit on the fritz though. I couldn't equip certain weapons and i couldn't move stuff around.

The random system was insane last night.

I got SR, Eyelander, camera beard and a ton of other items over the course of 4 hours before it finally leveled out.

I got the SR, Banner, and Direct Hit before it calmed down. It also looked like I was getting a dozen backburners (I'd get the message every time I died), but I don't have a bunch of backburners in my inventory, so I guess that part wasn't real.

Man, SO MUCH spam last night. And the demos with shields are hella scary.

I smelted two decent hats and got one shitty hat. :bomb:

I knew I shouldn't have taken the risk. :bomb:

Play a medic.

Exclude healing Demomen or Soldiers (pick one)

Claim its for the war.

Have people yell at you saying its over.

THE WAR IS NEVER OVER

Get kicked, find a new server.

Find items for crafting while doing this.

AWWWW YEAAAAAAA

Blah, I can't wait until the solly and demo craze dies down. The game is totally unplayable for me right now; spam is just off the charts.

I really like unlocks like the Kritz and Buff Banner that promote teamwork. Stuff like the Sandman, Eyelander, Equalizer, etc. I find completely retarded and contrary to the spirit of the original TF2. The updates are neutral, then, because Valve saves themselves from ruining their own masterpiece thanks to a few decent unlocks but most importantly new maps and Saxton Hale comics.

[quote name='Serik']Blah, I can't wait until the solly and demo craze dies down. The game is totally unplayable for me right now; spam is just off the charts.[/QUOTE]

Ha, I actually almost enjoyed the spam on release night. I usually despise the week or two after an update is released, but for some reason, I had a lot of fun. I think it was because it reminded me so much of UT/Quake 3 Rocket Arena, I found myself laughing more than cursing when I died. Plus all the new weapons, death animations (I had my head chopped off and I watched my own body spurt blood out of its neck), new maps (I REALLY like cp_gorge), getting lots of unlocks (I haven't played in over 6 months so it was really nice getting almost everything in one evening) and playing as a heavy or medic was a lot of fun that night (I was able to mow down 5-6 soldiers/demomen on a CP on gorge because a soldier used his banner at the right time, AWESOME.)

In short, I haven't had this much fun with TF2 since it was first released. But I'm just a noob who only plays every now and then, what do I know? Whatever, it's fun and that's all I care about.

As a long-time Soldier player, I have to say this long awaited update is a great success even though I have gotten only the Buff Banner and Equalizer (they skipped over my Direct Hit milestone). The Buff Banner's mini-crits is so fun to use (although I miss the gun salute taunt) and the Equalizer is so useful for certain situations.

Surprisingly, with the new soldier and demo update, I'm actually falling in love with the scout. I find it very effective to annoy those eyelander and targe-welding demomen.

What I also found out is that the Buff Banner actually gives the SG minicrits too!

Can anyone recommend any good servers on the east coast? I'm in NC and in all the games I join I have ridiculoysly high ping, and there aren't any programs running in the background or anything, so I figure I'm playing in servers too far from me.

Couldn't you just refresh the server list and then sort them by Ping and Player count? Wait for the entire list (should be about 3000 servers) to finish refreshing, click on "Ping" near the top of the server browser to sort by ping, and then click on "Players" to secondarily sort by player count.

If I'm at home I would paste some IPs for you to add, but I'm at work :(

Guys, I haven't played TF2 in over a year and I jumped in for a game I guess for the first time on my rig I built last summer. Anyone want to help me tweak settings so I get a better FPS? I was dropping below 30s on Gravel Pit.

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93 GHz
RAM: 4GB
Win7 64
GeForce GTX 260

New update today (1/13/09):
Additions

• Various improvements to Spy disguise and feign death
    • Disguise weapons copying weapons with special animation requirements (Sword, FaN) now look correct
    • Spies now play the appropriate death cry on feign death based on the corpse that appears
    • Feigning death can now play custom death animations like a normal death (head loss, sniper shot, backstab, etc)
    • Feigning death due to explosive damage now has a chance to gib, like a normal death
    • Corpses from a feign death now use the correct wearable behavior (hats stay on, or fall off as they should)
    • The weapons dropped by feign death corpses now have appropriate physics and collision for their type
    • Combat text for damage done to Spies that feign death will now show the un-modified damage amount
    • Fixed Spies that feign death while disguised as enemy spies dropping fake ragdolls wearing a mask
    • Fixed a couple of physics issues on ragdolls created by feign death
  • Added convars to further customize the "play a hit sound whenever you injure an enemy" option
    • tf_dingaling_volume". Sets the volume of the hit sound
    • tf_dingaling_pitchmindmg". Sets the desired pitch of the hit sound when a minor damage hit is done
    • tf_dingaling_pitchmaxdmg". Sets the desired pitch of the hit sound when a major damage hit is done
    • tf_dingaling_wav_override". Specifies an optional custom wav hit sound. If unspecified, the default ding sound is used
  • Added Medic Ubersaw kill taunt
  • Added backstab death animations for Scout, Spy, Medic, Demo, Engineer, and Pyro. All death animations have a 25% chance to play
  • Updated various localization strings

Changes

• Removed the clamps on the "viewmodel_fov" convar
  • Added "viewmodel_fov_demo", a convar that controls viewmodel fov during demo playback
  • Force-a-Nature will now correctly knock back players on the ground
  • Increased minimum damage required for the Force-a-Nature to cause a knockback from 30 to 40
  • Changed the Direct Hit to only minicrit enemies that have been launched into the air by an explosion
  • Increased the rate of the Soldier's Rage generation by 40%
  • Reduced the duration of the Soldier's Buff Banner effect from 14 seconds to 10
  • Reduced the explosive damage resistance on the Chargin' Targe to 50%

Fixes

• Fixed the Scout's legs twisting out of shape during a double jump
  • Fixed player models popping up and then down when they duck during a jump
  • Fixed Sniper rifle not penetrating friendlies
  • Fixed Bonk! Atomic Punch phase effect
  • Fixed rockets not being removed if they explode in func_nogrenades zones
  • Fixed the Sandman being able to bat balls through doors
  • Fixed the Gunboats absorbing damage from the Soldier's grenade kill taunt
  • Fixed the naming of non-unique quality unique items (Community Kritzkriegs, etc)
  • Minor fixes to the crafting UI
    • Changed the item layout in the crafting panel to better fit the backpack panel
      • Each 1 of the 4 crafting pages now shows half of 1 of the 2 backpack pages
    • Fixed the crafting panel next/prev page buttons being hard to use while dragging
    • Fixed the "equipped" label in the item panels stealing the mouse focus from the item panel itself

Updated Novint Falcon settings (no effect on non-Falcon players)

• Recoil/Reload force added for the Direct Hit rocket launcher
  • Recoil/Reload force added for the Scottish Resistance sticky bomb launcher
  • More defined flesh hit force added for the Equalizer pick axe
  • More defined flesh hit/world hit force added for the Eyelander sword
  • Added swing forces for Eyelander sword
  • Added appropriate trumpet forces for Blu Buff Banner
  • Added appropriate trumpet forces for Red Buff Banner
  • Shotgun reload for Heavy & Pyro changed to feel more appropriate now
  • Changed Huntsman pullback force so that it goes in the right direction (was still pulling as if the Huntsman was on the left hand side of the screen, which was default until a later update)

And I found this posted in the TF2 steam forums of the new FaN knockback. (Thread Link)

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Guys, I haven't played TF2 in over a year and I jumped in for a game I guess for the first time on my rig I built last summer. Anyone want to help me tweak settings so I get a better FPS? I was dropping below 30s on Gravel Pit.

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93 GHz
RAM: 4GB
Win7 64
GeForce GTX 260[/QUOTE]

You really shouldn't be having any problems. Turn down AA to 'None' and your AF to 'Bilinear.' See what that does.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']
@Cher, do you have multicore processing on? Also, monitor your resources when you run the game. What is your CPU idling at? What's it at in the game?[/QUOTE]

Enabled my second core. Running at 100+ FPS now. Thanks.

Pretty much.

129159248173732754.jpg

I sware TF2 hates me. Every day since they changed the item update rules I been playing so I could get 1 item a day which would be around 40 mins - 1 hr on a good day.

Anyway the only new item I got was the heavy's chocolate bar (and that was after I smelted one). I keep getting items I already own and not even a single hat.

Hate to sound like an item whore, but is it possible for the drop system to get bugged? I've played this entire past weekend, probably a total of 12-15 hours or so, and haven't found a single item.

Anything is possible with the item system. With the previous change of giving out items based on playtime, from what I've read around the system resets your playtime counter every thursday(night?). I can sorta confirm it as last week I got 3 items playing Friday for a few hours, and the Wednesday prior I was getting nothing. Any who, regarding the item system bugging, anyone remember when they released one of the major updates and people were given items like every 5 minutes? A lot of them being camera beards? There's your example of the system getting bugged.

I crafted everything I possibly could in my inventory, along with two crappy hats (Batters Helmet and the Soldiers Stash) and I didn't get a wrench. Now I'm left with a bunch of metal and Ze Goggles.

I'm wondering how many people will completely destroy their backpacks in trying to get their golden wrench. I'm hoping many eliminate themselves that way early to increase my chances later.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']wat[/QUOTE]

Soldiers Stash is so lame. It's the regular Soldier hat with cigarettes and a playing card on it.

After crafting those two together, my hat inventory now includes the Tyrants Helm, the Heavy Duty Rag, Ze Goggles, Bills Hat, the Ghostly Gibus, and the Cheaters Lament.

Crafting is the act of creating in-game weapons, hats, or other mats, usually starting with a handful of weapons. Here's a list of all known recipes.

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Crafting

Hats are found in one of two ways...1) Extremely rare drop through the item drop system, or 2) through Crafting. One random hat requires 3 Refined Metal/9 Reclaimed Metal/27 Scrap Metal/54 Weapons.

Just got done playing. My friend and I were crafting stuff like crazy. We didnt get anything. Someone did find a golden wrench though while we were playing. I also crafted together my Heavy Duty Rag and Ze Goggles (doin' it all for the wrench man) and got the Hound Dog out of it, which is awesome. My friend crafted together his Footbal Helmet and Modest Pile of Hats to get the Officers Ushanka.

Tomorrow we continue our quest for the golden wrench.

Argh, I played too much over the weekend. I think I reach my drop limit for the week, as I played several hours today and didn't get a single item. I already crafted all my repeat items over the weekend before this Golden Wrench business. Bleh.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']Argh, I played too much over the weekend. I think I reach my drop limit for the week, as I played several hours today and didn't get a single item. I already crafted all my repeat items over the weekend before this Golden Wrench business. Bleh.[/QUOTE]

I did a test a few weeks ago. In the weeks allotted time, I was able to find eight items before I reached the limit on drops. Not that it's the same every time, but I figure 8-10 drops a week is about the max.

I don't think I've played the engineer for even 30 minutes. Whenever I did, I just felt like I wasn't playing him correctly and wasn't being very helpful to my team.

These new weapons look pretty sweet though! Crits for every kill/assist your sentry gets? And taking control of a sentry that gets doubled fire rate and more missiles at level 3 (but where does the engineer go when he's in control? Are people going to need to find a safe spot to hide?)? I think I'll have to try and become useful with the engineer so I get a chance to use these weapons effectively.

And a new payload map! Woot! "Blow it up to be safe."

Also, I found a hidden link on the bottom left corner of the Frontier Justice blueprint: Link. Nothing special, just a drawing of a dude holding the Wrangler.

Day 3 update is live. New Payload (Payload-Race?) Map called Hightower...Engineer gets a community-made Wrench...and this secret page http://www.teamfortress.com/engineerupdate/engineer_photos/ seems to indicate Engineers will get a portable sentry.

In Golden Wrench news, seems like there's been a bit of controversy going on. So far, five people have had their Wrenches removed from their inventory and their accounts VAC-banned. Seems that there was a set schedule that Wrenches are scheduled to drop on, the schedule leaked, and a few people knew to craft their items at that exact second to get their items.

Last items(s) of the update

• The Gunslinger (replaces wrench): A handy prosthetic hand for our newly enhanced Engineers that replaces the wrench and allows you to toss combat min-sentries. In addition, every third melee hit from the glove is an automatic critical.
  • Combat mini-sentries: The Gunslinger allows you to sling these little guns around. They cost 100 metal, do half damage, but can be built 4 times faster than a regular sentry. They cannot be upgraded or repaired, however.
And achievements

[quote name='Salamando3000']Day 3 update is live. New Payload (Payload-Race?) Map called Hightower...Engineer gets a community-made Wrench...and this secret page http://www.teamfortress.com/engineerupdate/engineer_photos/ seems to indicate Engineers will get a portable sentry.

In Golden Wrench news, seems like there's been a bit of controversy going on. So far, five people have had their Wrenches removed from their inventory and their accounts VAC-banned. Seems that there was a set schedule that Wrenches are scheduled to drop on, the schedule leaked, and a few people knew to craft their items at that exact second to get their items.[/QUOTE]

That's sorta lame....Of course people are going to take advantage of a leak, but to punish them because the guy whose job it was to secure that schedule fucked up, they get punished? Unfair advantage sure but that's like punishing your kid for playing with the gun you left within their reach.

They didnt just take advantage of the schedule, they took advantage of the server cloud. They sent back packets saying they were smelting metal an unlimited amount of times so they could 100% secure a wrench. So yes, they were justly banned.

bread's done
Back