Tekken 5 Ultimate Collector's Edition $29.99 at EB/GS

Just came back from my local GS and they had a dusty T5 arcade stick. Sticker said $79.99 but rang up for $29.99. I was tradding in a copy of Halo2 to get the $22 credit and ended up having to pay just $10 for the stick. Sweeet

[quote name='Pookymeister']Once you hit a pound or two in shipping weight(and not media mail), thats when you switch to FedEx.

For example, 20lbs from PA to CA is $15 fedex, $27 parcel post, $38 priority. :cool:
On top of that, FedeX gives you $100 insurance by default.[/QUOTE]

Hey, thanks for the info - great to know... Still, buying extra controller to sell/trade is not really worth it as the shipping is so high...

scored the last one from the redmond, wa ebgames. i also own the street fighter anniversary stick, and while its cool that the sf stick is both xbox & ps2 compatible, the tekken stick destroys it in the quality of the stick and buttons. highly recommended.
on a side note, for anyone interested, the gamestop on redmond way still has one left. good luck.

I ended up caving in and picked up the last bundle at the farmington MI gamestop. Pretty sweet package, was just playing some pac-man and galaga with the stick.

scored the last one at bergen mall, nj. the guy gave me a 10% discount since it didnt come with the empty dvd boxset for all the tekken games, someone must have stolen it he said thats why they put tape around the box. oh well, sweet deal :)

[quote name='phear3d']scored the last one at bergen mall, nj. the guy gave me a 10% discount since it didnt come with the empty dvd boxset for all the tekken games, someone must have stolen it he said thats why they put tape around the box. oh well, sweet deal :)[/quote]

but they didnt steal the game?

To those who have the Street Fighter Anniversary Arcade Stick....how does it compare to this one?

I picked this one up at my Eb and it works great but I'm thinking of getting the SF one too online.

[quote name='ispeshaled']To those who have the Street Fighter Anniversary Arcade Stick....how does it compare to this one?

I picked this one up at my Eb and it works great but I'm thinking of getting the SF one too online.[/QUOTE]

I personally like the tekken stick better but then again ive always been partial to the japanese style stick. The sf stick is a bit bulky and feels awkward to use but thats just me

[quote name='Pookymeister']but they didnt steal the game?[/quote]

no the game is intact and its still sealed. otherwise i wouldnt have probably bought it. i figured someones probably going to sell that empty boxset on ebay. ill just have to wait.

as for the sf stick i think nuby tech is the one that made it.. i think it wont even come close to the t5 hori stick.

I just got the last copy at the Gamestop in Keyser, WV. When I was there, I noticed they also had a DOA4 stick. I could possibly arrange a pickup or trade for somebody, but the Keyser store is about 45 minutes or so away from me at FSU, so it would have to be a substantial trade for me to make the extra hour and a half car drive (but, it's possible, because sometimes on the weekends here I really don't have too much more to do). I would have picked it up today, but I didn't have the extra $40 on me now to do that.

[quote name='jimfoley16']Horrible

I have 2 for Collection purposes, but other than that they're absolutely terrible and impossible to use.[/QUOTE]

It's an american made stick with american parts...what do you expect?

Same thing with the SF Anniversary stick. They are cool for collecting purposes but for actually usage...no way.

I bought a Tekken 5 stick at EB yesterday. I really haven't used a joystick before for any prolonged period of time (except of course in the arcade a little), so I'm completely new to fighting with a stick. It took a little getting used to, but I know it's better for fighting than a pad so I'm going to stick with it.

One thing I noticed immediately was the square gate. I didn't really know what it meant before I bought it (I heard it mentioned in this thread), but as soon as I picked it up I felt it. At first it felt a little awkward, but I don't notice it now. For anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, it's like if you were to try to move the stick around in a circle, you can feel it move in a square pattern. The stick seems to "catch" a little in the corners if you're really - for the lack of a better word - yanking on it. With a little practice it doesn't bother me anymore.

One thing I do have to ask though, is why would anyone prefer a square gate? Keep in mind I'm a noob as far as arcade sticks go, but it would only seem logical to prefer a "diamond" gate (if they even make those, I don't know). This would seem to make it easier to move straight foreward, back, or up and down. In all the fighting games I play, you rarely hold a diagonal direction for an extended period of time, but might want to hold one of the four main directions to walk or crouch. Since I just started practicing with it, occasionally I jump or crouch when I don't mean to because of the square gate.

I really like the stick a lot. Since it's my first, I can only take the advice of the majority of fighter fans that say this stick is one of the best. I recommend it to anyone, I just wanted to ask that question above.

[quote name='eau']Besides Tekken 5, are there any other games that can benefit from this stick?[/QUOTE]

Just about any fighter, any arcade "classics" collection, and really any game that uses the d-pad is fun to play with this joystick.

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']I bought a Tekken 5 stick at EB yesterday. I really haven't used a joystick before for any prolonged period of time (except of course in the arcade a little), so I'm completely new to fighting with a stick. It took a little getting used to, but I know it's better for fighting than a pad so I'm going to stick with it.

One thing I noticed immediately was the square gate. I didn't really know what it meant before I bought it (I heard it mentioned in this thread), but as soon as I picked it up I felt it. At first it felt a little awkward, but I don't notice it now. For anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, it's like if you were to try to move the stick around in a circle, you can feel it move in a square pattern. The stick seems to "catch" a little in the corners if you're really - for the lack of a better word - yanking on it. With a little practice it doesn't bother me anymore.

One thing I do have to ask though, is why would anyone prefer a square gate? Keep in mind I'm a noob as far as arcade sticks go, but it would only seem logical to prefer a "diamond" gate (if they even make those, I don't know). This would seem to make it easier to move straight foreward, back, or up and down. In all the fighting games I play, you rarely hold a diagonal direction for an extended period of time, but might want to hold one of the four main directions to walk or crouch. Since I just started practicing with it, occasionally I jump or crouch when I don't mean to because of the square gate.

I really like the stick a lot. Since it's my first, I can only take the advice of the majority of fighter fans that say this stick is one of the best. I recommend it to anyone, I just wanted to ask that question above.[/quote]

In most 2D fighters, you don't hold forward, back, up, or down for any extended length of time. Why? Take up first...most of the time jumping straight up is either a defensive move or planning for a less used offensive attack. Back isn't held unless you have to get away fast, in which case its usually better to back dash or air back dash, or unless you have to block an overhead, in which case its only held for the duration of the overhead, and then usually you return to down-back. Holding down is almost useless. Why hold down when you can hold down-back instead? And finally, forward would be held for offensive movement, but usually a dash, air dash, or jump-in is better anyway. In turtle style play, the only direction you HOLD for any period of time is down-back!

Since down-back is so important in a lot of 2D fighters, I think Japanese players prefer the square gate. A final reason is that certain moves are MUCH harder to do on a circular gate...chief one being Guile's super in Super Turbo, but also tiger-knee moves where you have to roll towards up-forward or up-back.

[quote name='Lou-Dawg']In most 2D fighters, you don't hold forward, back, up, or down for any extended length of time. Why? Take up first...most of the time jumping straight up is either a defensive move or planning for a less used offensive attack. Back isn't held unless you have to get away fast, in which case its usually better to back dash or air back dash, or unless you have to block an overhead, in which case its only held for the duration of the overhead, and then usually you return to down-back. Holding down is almost useless. Why hold down when you can hold down-back instead? And finally, forward would be held for offensive movement, but usually a dash, air dash, or jump-in is better anyway. In turtle style play, the only direction you HOLD for any period of time is down-back!

Since down-back is so important in a lot of 2D fighters, I think Japanese players prefer the square gate. A final reason is that certain moves are MUCH harder to do on a circular gate...chief one being Guile's super in Super Turbo, but also tiger-knee moves where you have to roll towards up-forward or up-back.[/quote]

Thanks, I wasn't thinking in "2-D mode" when I asked my question. All I have to play right now is Soul Calibur 2 (I'm not that impressed with Tekken 5). But you're right, I'm sure I'll appreciate it more when I start playing Street Fighter and KOF.

Thanks, I wasn't thinking in "2-D mode" when I asked my question. All I have to play right now is Soul Calibur 2 (I'm not that impressed with Tekken 5). But you're right, I'm sure I'll appreciate it more when I start playing Street Fighter and KOF.
Even in Namco 3D games, being able to tap a diagonal precisely is very important to execute specific moves at the exact moment you want them. A lot of sweeping, dash-in uppercuts, etc. require a diagonal tap, not an extended press. It's much quicker to hit the diagonal on a square gate. A lot of people don't have problems finding up/down/left/right on any kind of gate, but do have issues consistently hitting a diagonal on a circular gate. Being able to switch quickly between standing block and crouching block is also important in Soul Calibur.

Basically, the square gate is about orientation. Not everyone pushes exactly 90 degrees up for up, some people are off by a few degrees which would result in a move you did not want (e.g. walking back when you meant to crouch and block). There is no way to tell by feel when you're playing on a circular gate how close you are to an intended direction just by feel.

I found the stick good for VF 4 also. The quare gate is default in japanese arcades btw. Most Tekken 5, DR cabinets in USA have square gate controls. WHen I first played this in the arcade I had a little problem with Tekken as it was a Square. Now I can do those EWGF just frame uppercuts finally.

I'm trading in the Tekkens that came with it today and getting VF4: Evolution. Any other good, cheap (preferably 2-D) fighters for PS2 I should pick up?

I'd recommend
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection (should be able to find it for sub 20)
Capcom Vs Snk 2 (should be able to get it for about 25 used)
Street fighter Alpha Anthology (pay 30 for this now)
Street Fighter EX 3 (less than 10, some people don't like it)
Tekken Tag Tournament (I love this game, I think it's better than 4 and 5)

Those are my favorite fighting games for PS2 that are 30 bucks and under]
-xmrblondex

why do u think tekken tag is better than 5?and yeah all the street fighters are greatJust wish they threw in some extras on alpha anthologiesdont forget MvC2 but thats a little $$

on top of this does anyone still have a sealed Tekken 5 non GH that came with the bundle? I'm looking to trade for one.

Has anybody had success in getting this to work on their Xbox with an adapter? If so, what type of adapter did you use? It works great on my DC, but my XBOX won't sense it with the adapter I have.

[quote name='S_G']Has anybody had success in getting this to work on their Xbox with an adapter? If so, what type of adapter did you use? It works great on my DC, but my XBOX won't sense it with the adapter I have.[/QUOTE]
which brand adapter are you trying to use??

[quote name='dennis_t']Just got the last one at the Salem Center mall in Salem, OR.

Thanks for the deal![/quote] That's the crushed one in the left side of the box, right? I was in that EB on Saturday but then passed on it, since I already have one. Good to see it in the hand of a CAGer :)

Hope that everything in that crushed box was ok.

[quote name='dennis_t']Just got the last one at the Salem Center mall in Salem, OR.[/quote]
That's the crushed one in the left side of the box, right? I was in that EB on Saturday but then passed on it, since I already have one. Good to see it in the hand of a CAGer :)

If anyone on Long Island is still looking for one of these, the GameStop in Greenlawn has it sitting right on the shelf in the PS2 section.

[quote name='shadowknight']which brand adapter are you trying to use??[/QUOTE]

I currently have the one made by Joybox.

Man, thank you for bringing this deal to my attention!:applause:
I called 4 or 5 stores before I found one that had Tekken 5 with the arcade stick for 30 bucks!:bouncy:

[quote name='S_G']I currently have the one made by Joybox.[/QUOTE]

Try finding that PS2-to-GC/Xbox adapter made by Game Elements. Think it was also made by a company called Gemini. Best adapter ever. I've got one and it works for everything I've ever used it for, including my DDR pad. Even has a settings switch for steering wheels too.

The problem is that they don't make it any longer though. Circuit City, Wal-Mart, and Gamestop used to carry them, so you might wanna try there.

The closest EB to me had 3 in stock last week. Went back today and they are all gone.

Oh well. I was just looking for a good/cheap stick that my friends can use.

[quote name='eau']Besides Tekken 5, are there any other games that can benefit from this stick?[/quote]

Virtua Fighter 4
Dead or Alive 2 Hardcore ($8 at eb!)
Guilty Gear X2
Street Fighter Anniversary Edition
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
Street Fighter Alpha Collection
all the previous tekken games which should be cheap.

After hearing all the rave reviews of this Hori stick, I picked up a Tekken 5 Collector's Edition at my local Gamestop. Unfortunately I had bought a GH Tekken 5 for $14.99 6 weeks ago which is too late to return. After reading this thread I have several noob questions:

- To confirm: the Tekken 5 game inside comes SEALED and is not a GH version?
- Is $7 trade-in credit at Gamestop the best I can get for a sealed Tekken 5?
- Why do so many people dislike GH versions compared to the non-GH ones? Is there something different about what's included or is it just that red sticker on the outside?
- A couple people mentioned "modding" the Hori joystick. Could someone please describe what this modding does? I hope it's not something I have to do to use it with the few fighting games I have. I'm still unable to visualize how a person could mod a joystick since you can't add or move the stick or buttons around... about all you could do is change it electrically so maybe it works in a different way or works with certain PS2-USB adapters.

[quote name='Ubichu']

1- To confirm: the Tekken 5 game inside comes SEALED and is not a GH version?
2- Is $7 trade-in credit at Gamestop the best I can get for a sealed Tekken 5?
3- Why do so many people dislike GH versions compared to the non-GH ones? Is there something different about what's included or is it just that red sticker on the outside?
4- A couple people mentioned "modding" the Hori joystick. Could someone please describe what this modding does? I hope it's not something I have to do to use it with the few fighting games I have. I'm still unable to visualize how a person could mod a joystick since you can't add or move the stick or buttons around... about all you could do is change it electrically so maybe it works in a different way or works with certain PS2-USB adapters.[/quote]
1. Yes
2. I sold my copy for $16 on half.com
3. Because collectors are anal. Besides cases like DMC 3 or Silent Hill 2 where there is actually extra content, there is no difference. And in those cases, its better to have the GH version.
4. No idea.

bread's done
Back