(Telltale) Walking Dead Collector's Edition - Gamestop Exclusive $69.99

litepink

CAGiversary!
Feedback
37 (100%)
Source: IGN

Telltale has now confirmed to IGN that the Collector’s Edition of The Walking Dead: The Game :)360: :ps3:) will be a GameStop exclusive and is available only to customers who pre-order. As seen below, the set will be available for $69.99 on December 4th and includes:

• A disc containing all five episodes of the game
  • The Walking Dead Compendium One (which normally retails for $59.99 and includes the first 48 issues) with exclusive Charlie Adlard cover art
  • A Collector’s Edition box featuring Charlie Adlard artwork

walkingdeadcag.jpg

---

Retailer exclusive and only through pre-order. This might be one of those collector's editions that doesn't go for half price a few months down the line.

**Available for pre-order now**

The standard release is $29.99 and both SKUs will be out December 4th. [delayed] December 11th.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dammit, now I really wish I hadn't canceled my pre-order for this... but with the delay, I would have been out of town when it was delivered and it would have sat on my doorstep (assuming they ship using UPS) for 3 weeks.

My gamestop told me that I was the only one that pre-ordered. Apparently I made one of the employees jealous. They asked the manager who's that was and if they are coming to pick it up. The manager was like yeah it is getting picked up :lol:

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']My gamestop told me that I was the only one that pre-ordered. Apparently I made one of the employees jealous. They asked the manager who's that was and if they are coming to pick it up. The manager was like yeah it is getting picked up :lol:[/QUOTE]

That GS employee is at home playing your copy right now. ;)

[quote name='dino88']That GS employee is at home playing your copy right now. ;)[/QUOTE]

No shit right!

Actually my manager was joking with me about that. Seriously though, my gamestop would never do that to me. :)

I'm even more stoked about getting this now that it won GOTY last night. :D

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']No shit right!

Actually my manager was joking with me about that. Seriously though, my gamestop would never do that to me. :)

I'm even more stoked about getting this now that it won GOTY last night. :D[/QUOTE]

GOTY..!! Awesome. That should give this bundle some legs to stand on even more.

[quote name='Tsukento']...DAMN does having it all on disc sound convenient...[/QUOTE]

It's really not.

Convenience = installed on HDD through XBLA. Especially knowing that any XBLA compilation to date has required you to play it directly from the disc with no true install option. That means loud spinning disc syndrome for the entire 12+ hours that you play.

The only good factors to the disc are:

1. Trade-in/resale value
2. Transferable/giftable to friends/family
3. Inevitable price reduction (see XBLA Triple Pack & Silent But Deadliest Warrior)
4. Future-proofing (true physical ownership)

I'm gonna wait it out until the XBLA Christmas sales are all done before deciding what to buy. If you only need ep4&5, it should be an easy choice.

[quote name='sliknik27']This was exactly the thought that came to me. New game sales don't make them much money at all, they just increase traffic to their site and stores.[/QUOTE]

lol whats up with you guys hating on gamestop, if gamestop didnt exist, stores like bby etc wouldnt have to be kept on their toes. Do you remember when bby had no competition whatsoever prices were jacked up high.

i personally love gamestop, yeah u pay a bit higher prices but you do sort of get a plethora of all things video game in a one stop shop.

not to burst your bubble, gamestop makes shit tons of money even if they sell a new product, they make 20 percent profit on new products. and keep in mind developers/publishers pay gamestop for the opportunity to slap on promotional dlc, gamestop exclusives, etc.

i invest in gamestop and made a shit ton of money off them. why? because they are that damn profitable.

[quote name='paayter']lol whats up with you guys hating on gamestop, if gamestop didnt exist, stores like bby etc wouldnt have to be kept on their toes. Do you remember when bby had no competition whatsoever prices were jacked up high.

i personally love gamestop, yeah u pay a bit higher prices but you do sort of get a plethora of all things video game in a one stop shop.

not to burst your bubble, gamestop makes shit tons of money even if they sell a new product, they make 20 percent profit on new products. and keep in mind developers/publishers pay gamestop for the opportunity to slap on promotional dlc, gamestop exclusives, etc.

i invest in gamestop and made a shit ton of money off them. why? because they are that damn profitable.[/QUOTE]

No one pays gamestop money so that gamestop can have exclusive DLC. I hope that wasn't a serious comment.

[quote name='paayter']lol whats up with you guys hating on gamestop, if gamestop didnt exist, stores like bby etc wouldnt have to be kept on their toes. Do you remember when bby had no competition whatsoever prices were jacked up high.

i invest in gamestop and made a shit ton of money off them. why? because they are that damn profitable.[/QUOTE]
I'd like to see this 20% profit on new products source

[quote name='GBAstar']No one pays gamestop money so that gamestop can have exclusive DLC. I hope that wasn't a serious comment.[/QUOTE]

Yes they do. Recent example is Randy Pitchford said the Creature Slaughter Dome wouldn't have existed w/o GameStop money. Listen to his interview on IGN Podcast Unlocked.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Yes they do. Recent example is Randy Pitchford said the Creature Slaughter Dome wouldn't have existed w/o GameStop money. Listen to his interview on IGN Podcast Unlocked.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that means gamestop is paying them.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Yes they do. Recent example is Randy Pitchford said the Creature Slaughter Dome wouldn't have existed w/o GameStop money. Listen to his interview on IGN Podcast Unlocked.[/QUOTE]

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt but what I was replying to the poster above who stated that gamestop gets paid money to have exclusive DLC which is absolutely backwards. That's like saying that NASCAR drives pay companies money to endorse their products.

The world doesn't work that way.

I'm going to nominate myself for CAG dumbass of the year. I just went to one of my local Gamestops to take advantage of the crazy trade values going on right now. Well there was one of the 360 CE sitting right on the counter and I was like "is this for sale?" She was like "as soon as I finish checking it in. You want it?" Well I hadn't been keeping up with this thread but she had it scanned and ready to go and at the last second I was like "I don't think the extras are worth $40, I'll hold off". After I left I checked this thread and proceeded to call back to see if they could hold it till I came back. She said turns out it was a preorder and was so happy I changed my mind. So not only did I get someone oblivious to the street date, she was also going to give me someone's preorder. I will never hesitate to pull the trigger again.

[quote name='GBAstar']I'll give you the benefit of the doubt but what I was replying to the poster above who stated that gamestop gets paid money to have exclusive DLC which is absolutely backwards. That's like saying that NASCAR drives pay companies money to endorse their products.

The world doesn't work that way.[/QUOTE]

OK sorry misread your reply. Yeah GS doesn't GET paid for DLC but DOES PAY the devs for preorder exclusive DLC.

If you want the specific thing I mentioned, IGN Podcast Unlocked Episode 70 about the Creature Slaughter Dome starts at the 7:00 mark although the first 1/3 of the interview is about Gamestop, value of the experience, used market, etc.

Someone tell me if this is stupid:
I have TWD on PSN
But I really want the Compendium! And Have been waiting for it to drop in price forever, but it has not budged and I almost bought it today full MSRP at Books A Million.

Would it be smart to just buy this?

[quote name='KonohaShinobi']Someone tell me if this is stupid:
I have TWD on PSN
But I really want the Compendium! And Have been waiting for it to drop in price forever, but it has not budged and I almost bought it today full MSRP at Books A Million.

Would it be smart to just buy this?[/QUOTE]

Since you can currently get BOTH compendiums combined for the exact same price through Amazon right now (or alternately, get just the one included in this set for half the price) I would say that would be pretty stupid if that's what you're primarily after.

I have TWD on PSN

It's OOS though..

I have TWD on PSN

Just buy the Compendium from Amazon.

[quote name='chriscolbert']I'm going to nominate myself for CAG dumbass of the year. I just went to one of my local Gamestops to take advantage of the crazy trade values going on right now. Well there was one of the 360 CE sitting right on the counter and I was like "is this for sale?" She was like "as soon as I finish checking it in. You want it?" Well I hadn't been keeping up with this thread but she had it scanned and ready to go and at the last second I was like "I don't think the extras are worth $40, I'll hold off". After I left I checked this thread and proceeded to call back to see if they could hold it till I came back. She said turns out it was a preorder and was so happy I changed my mind. So not only did I get someone oblivious to the street date, she was also going to give me someone's preorder. I will never hesitate to pull the trigger again.[/QUOTE]

Doesnt matter, when she tried to ring it up, the computer would have stopped her selling it

Edit: Also taking someones preorder is very douchy, and being upset you didnt, is just as bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Kerig']It's really not.

Convenience = installed on HDD through XBLA. Especially knowing that any XBLA compilation to date has required you to play it directly from the disc with no true install option. That means loud spinning disc syndrome for the entire 12+ hours that you play.

The only good factors to the disc are:

1. Trade-in/resale value
2. Transferable/giftable to friends/family
3. Inevitable price reduction (see XBLA Triple Pack & Silent But Deadliest Warrior)
4. Future-proofing (true physical ownership)

I'm gonna wait it out until the XBLA Christmas sales are all done before deciding what to buy. If you only need ep4&5, it should be an easy choice.[/QUOTE]
Not really an issue for me, since I'll be playing it on the PS3. :p Having them on disc lets me save up room on my harddrive, since PS+ has been too gracious with the free retail games.

I have TWD on PSN

Christmas is coming up, and The Walking Dead is a popular series, so keep an eye out for sales. It's not like the price is going to go up if you wait a little, and this set is already sold out, so you might as well wait until the end of December to try and catch a good deal.

Also, has anyone heard, or read anything mentioning these being numbered? Or if there's mention of a specific amount being made?

[quote name='petershere']christmas is coming up, and the walking dead is a popular series, so keep an eye out for sales. It's not like the price is going to go up if you wait a little, and this set is already sold out, so you might as well wait until the end of december to try and catch a good deal.

Also, has anyone heard, or read anything mentioning these being numbered? Or if there's mention of a specific amount being made?[/quote]

[quote name='Reraise']Doesnt matter, when she tried to ring it up, the computer would have stopped her selling it

Edit: Also taking someones preorder is very douchy, and being upset you didnt, is just as bad.[/QUOTE]

1. It was all rung up ready to go. I absolutely 100% could have gone through with it.

2. I had no clue it was a preorder at the time. I'm not upset I didn't get it because I've never even watched the show. I was commenting more from the collectible/apparent rarity perspective and that she was stupid enough to not even check if it was a preorder. She was doing everything she could for me to get it because of how cool she thought it was. Had she originally said when I asked if it was for sale "oh, that's a preorder", that would have been the end of it. I'm not an asshole.

[quote name='PetersHere']Where did you get that number from?[/QUOTE]

I could have sworn I read 10,000 and now i can't find it so i could be wrong.

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223']I could have sworn I read 10,000 and now i can't find it so i could be wrong.[/QUOTE]You might have meant the allotment of Persona 4 Golden Solid Gold Editions.

[quote name='Vigilante']You might have meant the allotment of Persona 4 Golden Solid Gold Editions.[/QUOTE]

I also read that only 10,000 of the walking dead LE were made.

I wonder if that is per system, or total and that there are only 5k for each system out there.

I'm so glad I preordered this the day before they cut it off in store. I have a feeling this is going to skyrocket in price. Not just in the future, but as soon as release day hits leading into Christmas and beyond. Heck, they are already selling for over twice the retail value on eBay.

I only wish I had ordered two, one to open and one to keep sealed.

I know it wont stay that way, but even the regular edition is unavailable on Amazon.com right now.

I've checked two Gamestops to see if I can pick up an addtional copy but I was told at the last location that individual stores don't order additional copies of CEs for walk ins. I may have to go to Best Buy and get their "limited edition" to open instead.

Didn't all Game Stops only get enough for preorders only? I'm not sure if anyone will be able to just walk in and buy a copy. That's what I have heard anyway.

[quote name='Downhome']Didn't all Game Stops only get enough for preorders only? I'm not sure if anyone will be able to just walk in and buy a copy. That's what I have heard anyway.[/QUOTE]

Well, not everyone who preorders will pick up their copy. And I'm guessing they're doing more pre-orders online so this will be pretty tough to find in stores. I doubt there will be many people who don't pick up their pre-orders.

[quote name='MSUHitman']No extra CE's available. You'll have to wait until at least Friday to see if someone doesn't pick up their preorder.[/QUOTE]

oh crap that means i should pick mine up before friday, is this one of those things where everyone wants it now because it's oos?

[quote name='exaznkid']oh crap that means i should pick mine up before friday, is this one of those things where everyone wants it now because it's oos?[/QUOTE]

This thread started out with a huge amount of people crapping on the fact that the CE was a stupid purchase since they could buy everything separately for cheaper. Jeering at the fact that anyone would be stupid enough to purchase this.

Now that its OOS, people are now very interested. Basically, anyone who posted recently are the flippers who missed yet another opportunity for some quick cash. I know some poor sap is going to lose his preorder because gamestop will sell it to a non-preordering customer.

Im way to into CEs but for some reason i just dont desire this. The game for 20$ ya but meh on this CE, regardless if it is actually limited.

[quote name='exaznkid']oh crap that means i should pick mine up before friday, is this one of those things where everyone wants it now because it's oos?[/QUOTE]

Preorders are held for 48 hours. After that they can be sold to anyone. If you need it held longer than 48 hours you can usually call the store and if the manager/asst. manager/keyholders aren't d-bags then they'll hold the game a little longer for you.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Preorders are held for 48 hours. After that they can be sold to anyone. If you need it held longer than 48 hours you can usually call the store and if the manager/asst. manager/keyholders aren't d-bags then they'll hold the game a little longer for you.[/QUOTE]

thats good to know, i'm not even sure when is the actual release date, i thought it was the dec 4 then someone said it was delayed and now it says dec 11, so now im just confused not to mention it's finals week for me so chances are ill probably forget about this again

[quote name='itsoverninethousand']This thread started out with a huge amount of people crapping on the fact that the CE was a stupid purchase since they could buy everything separately for cheaper. Jeering at the fact that anyone would be stupid enough to purchase this.

Now that its OOS, people are now very interested. Basically, anyone who posted recently are the flippers who missed yet another opportunity for some quick cash. I know some poor sap is going to lose his preorder because gamestop will sell it to a non-preordering customer.[/QUOTE]

Anyone who couldn't see the collectibility in this from a mile away is blind. This series is huge, and spans comics, television, and video games, and has shown great success in all three fields, garnering it a huge, and dedicated fan base. This set includes the game, and comics, making it appealing to two groups--one of which is willing to pay out of the ass for a collectible edition. That would be the comic fans. Comic collectors, and card collectors pay so much for what they want, and I'm sure some will want this. If for no other reason than most people don't have it.

I'm keeping the one I ordered though, as I'm one of the fans. I'm still looking for a solid production number, though. Two people said 10,000, but they didn't say where they saw the number.

[quote name='PetersHere']Anyone who couldn't see the collectibility in this from a mile away is blind. This series is huge, and spans comics, television, and video games, and has shown great success in all three fields, garnering it a huge, and dedicated fan base. This set includes the game, and comics, making it appealing to two groups--one of which is willing to pay out of the ass for a collectible edition. That would be the comic fans. Comic collectors, and card collectors pay so much for what they want, and I'm sure some will want this. If for no other reason than most people don't have it.

I'm keeping the one I ordered though, as I'm one of the fans. I'm still looking for a solid production number, though. Two people said 10,000, but they didn't say where they saw the number.[/QUOTE]

There are a lot of idiots on this site that know very little about collectibles. Because they see the AAA CE's go on clearance they think every release is bound to hit a clearance cycle.

My favorite is when a CE/LE is a Gamestop or Amazon exclusive and some maroon posts about how he'll just wait to get it for 75% off at Best Buy or Target

[quote name='PetersHere']Anyone who couldn't see the collectibility in this from a mile away is blind. This series is huge, and spans comics, television, and video games, and has shown great success in all three fields, garnering it a huge, and dedicated fan base. This set includes the game, and comics, making it appealing to two groups--one of which is willing to pay out of the ass for a collectible edition. That would be the comic fans. Comic collectors, and card collectors pay so much for what they want, and I'm sure some will want this. If for no other reason than most people don't have it.

I'm keeping the one I ordered though, as I'm one of the fans. I'm still looking for a solid production number, though. Two people said 10,000, but they didn't say where they saw the number.[/QUOTE]

I understand what you're saying but I believe most of us are coming from a video game mindset. I think people get wary when they see a CE of any video game. It's seems to be more common to find that CE (heavily) discounted 6 months later than one that's highly desirable and hard to find, which this one might end up being. It didn't help that what makes this a collectible is the cover of the game, the cover of the compendium, and the box itself. That's more subtle than a statue, figure, or some knick knack.

I'm guessing this is a result of the delay but I noticed the standard edition isn't available directly from Amazon anymore. They're only from third party sellers for $99.99, which bumped up the TIV to $24.90. I'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill seeing how it seems it'll still be available tomorrow at Best Buy.

*Edit: Standard version also seems like it's hitting Gamestop stores tomorrow too.

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223']I could have sworn I read 10,000 and now i can't find it so i could be wrong.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure the only time that number was ever thrown around was in an earlier post in this very thread. As far as I know, Gamestop has never revealed the number and with around 4500 stores in the US, that number seems pretty low.

Regardless of the actual production numbers, it wouldn't shock me for it to be that low. Each store likely isn't allotted a specific number of units but instead the entire chain as a whole. There would be some stores that wouldn't get any preorders for it at all, leaving more for other locations. I think mine only got two, me and someone else.

[quote name='Sway']I understand what you're saying but I believe most of us are coming from a video game mindset. I think people get wary when they see a CE of any video game. It's seems to be more common to find that CE (heavily) discounted 6 months later than one that's highly desirable and hard to find, which this one might end up being. It didn't help that what makes this a collectible is the cover of the game, the cover of the compendium, and the box itself. That's more subtle than a statue, figure, or some knick knack.[/QUOTE]

Then those people need to learn the difference between a CE and a store exclusive CE.

bread's done
Back