That's not a mobile suit, it's the anime and manga thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Bezerker']
Some Good & possibly bad news. The good, Darker Than Blank is getting a sequel (Hopefully it'll be about Hei vs. the Syndicate). The possibly bad, Fullmetal Alchemist is getting a sequel.

http://www.japanator.com/elephant/post.phtml?pk=8261

I hope that the FMA "sequel" is actually an "Ultimate" version, like what Hellsing did. The manga is so much better than that crap Bones came up with.[/QUOTE]

Not *quite* true... yet. This is a rumor that's seemingly been debunked by the president of BONES over at ANN. Only time will tell which side is lying.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-07-06/bones-studio-addresses-allegedly-leaked-document

[quote name='SeanAmI122886']I said its entertaining, but its far from unpredictable. This week was entirely predictable.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about R2? Then perhaps, I can't say, I'm holding off until the end of the season to marathon it.

A bit OT here from the current discussion but I stopped watching Shippuden. I actually liked Naruto (besides the filler) but I can't watch Shippuden and not get bored.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Koggit']Are you talking about R2? Then perhaps, I can't say, I'm holding off until the end of the season to marathon it.[/QUOTE]

I am.
Its a decent show, but its not the greatest show ever like people are making it out to be.

Anime crew fell in love with dragging out scenes, whether through a ton of flashbacks , inserting filler moments into fights where characters revert to tactics they used years ago or 10 minute staring matches. I kinda get why, otherwise the show would blow through material and catch up to the manga again. But at the same time I wish they would take the bleach approach, just go through pacing like normal with the important stuff then throw in an ep or two of filler in between until a filler arc happens.

started Code Geass R2 last night. Pretty interesting so far.

However,
I feel that introducing insane amounts of people with Geass powers will bog down the story.

[quote name='SeanAmI122886']I said its entertaining, but its far from unpredictable. This week was entirely predictable.[/quote]

This is the truth. It's entertaining and it gives me something to watch, but this really isn't a great show at all. And yeah, it was entirely predictable this week.
Especially with Shirley not showing up in the new opening. It's like "And she's totally dead..." :lol:
This show really is a predictable Sunrise anime. People come back to life every five minutes, plot twists are given away in the openings, it eventually devolves into a giant train wreck of a plot.

[quote name='Koggit']Episodes 22 - 25 are why I love it so much. Especially episode 22.

If you don't like it, fine, but I don't think it's fair to call it nothing special. The whole series is just refreshingly catastrophic. It's one big trainwreck; I've never seen a series that had the balls to do that. There's no protagonist. I can't think of any other anime in which there's no protagonist.

It's been a long time since we've had an unpredictable, fast-paced series. No foreshadowing, no talking down to the audience, no reiterating what's already been done.

It's also pretty unique in that it lends itself to philosophical reflection -- the issues of justice raised by Geass, pertinent in a day and age when there are countless heated debates regarding the death penalty and the right to judge.

It's a great series in a lot of ways.[/quote]

Are we watching the same show? :lol: ;) I'll definitely agree with you about the trainwreck-ness of this show. Though unpredictable? I'd say it's far FAR from that.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']started Code Geass R2 last night. Pretty interesting so far.

However,
I feel that introducing insane amounts of people with Geass powers will bog down the story.
[/quote]

Wait until you get to the part
where we introduce an insane amount of new Gundams....I mean mecha...;)
I think R2 reaches a point where it almost becomes about merchandising more than the show.

[quote name='MarkMan']Ep 13 of Geass R2 :x[/quote]

Despite mocking it some,
I'm definitely sad that they killed Shirley off. I always sorta liked the dynamic of Lelouch's Zero-life and his school-life, and it definitely seems like we're moving away from Ashford now that Millay graduated and Shirley is killed off. It's prolly just gonna be there as a staging ground for Villetta, Rolo, and Sayako.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Eh, I would have suggested Dennou Coil first, but Lucky Star is okay too.

Mai Hime is decent. Nothing spectacular, but it has its moments.[/quote]

I did say I was particularly biased about that anime. :lol:

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']Dude, JayKrue, I

Anyone catch the final episode of the Death Note dub on saturday? I thought it was a great final episode and the dubbing was nicely done, especially with Light.

About R2:
Sayoko was pretty awesome, last season she was just a plain maid, now she's a kunoichi. Just awesome. I missed the lack of Shirley in the new OP, so her death was a little bit of a surprise for me. Come to think of it, I never really noticed her character in the OPs both in the first and second season. I honestly never liked her character, she seemed just unimportant (kind of glad her character is gone).

What caught me off guard was Orange-kun (haha, what's his real name) suddenly joining Lelouch's side, after being screwed over so many times in the first season. Total 180 on his part. I doubt he's playing double agent, he really doesn't seem all that smart. These introductions of new information through flashbacks, I find to be horrible.

I would think Rolo would have the common sense to leave Shirley alone, but he must've been so brainwashed into being just an assassin, and just that. Though I thought some sort of connection between him and Lelouch (brotherly love if you will) would support this, but no... I think Rolo is just plain gay for Lelouch.

Still dislike Suzaku for some reason.

I also don't like the direction they took by introducing the different Geass and V.V. Maybe it was to deter any thought of Lelouch being all powerful. But with Orange-kun, it looks like the power is once again shifted to him.

Whatever happened to Xingke and his limited lifetime? I thought he had a disease or whenever he piloted his mech, it'd slowly kill him.

[quote name='MarkMan']There is a picture of the cast, from the same magazine, I'll post it when I get home from work...[/QUOTE]

Anybody look wildly different?

Just started CG:R2...

Wtf, the army chick is a teacher at Lelouch's School?

Did I miss something between the end of the 1st season, or do they go back to explain what happened during their faceoff, and whether or not Nanaly was rescued from VV? By the way Lelouch was talking about Zero (and the fact that his Geass isn't out of control) something must have happened between the end of S1 and the start of R2...

[quote name='Bezerker']Just started CG:R2...

Wtf, the army chick is a teacher at Lelouch's School?

Did I miss something between the end of the 1st season, or do they go back to explain what happened during their faceoff, and whether or not Nanaly was rescued from VV? By the way Lelouch was talking about Zero (and the fact that his Geass isn't out of control) something must have happened between the end of S1 and the start of R2...
[/quote]

Wait wait wait....You're expecting the storyline in a Sunrise anime to make sense? ;):razz:

If I recall, they do go back and explain what exactly happened in between where we leave off in season 1 and where we start in R2. Or at least explain it to the best of their abilities.

[quote name='karsh']Wait wait wait....You're expecting the storyline in a Sunrise anime to make sense? ;):razz:

If I recall, they do go back and explain what exactly happened in between where we leave off in season 1 and where we start in R2. Or at least explain it to the best of their abilities.
[/quote]

Yea, I guess I should have waited. I just finished episode 2, which explained everything except what happened to V.V. Thus far its seeming like it's going to end up as I feared, a "Geass user of the week" (like demon of the week) anime. But then again, i'm only 2 episodes in, still got 11 more to watch and i'm guessing another 13 after that to wait for each week. Hopefully it'll be better than i'm expecting.

[quote name='karsh']Wait wait wait....You're expecting the storyline in a Sunrise anime to make sense? ;):razz:[/quote]

I love Big O in all it's convoluted glory. :D

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I love Big O in all it's convoluted glory. :D[/quote]
Now Big O was one of my favorite animes. Both 1st and 2nd season. BIG-OOOOO, SHOWWWW TIMMME! Didn't dig the OP, wtf was up with that?

As for when I started watching R2.
I thought I was watching an alternate universe type of Code Geass. SOrt of what Tenchi Muyo did for the different series. Was I the only one tricked into believing this?

[quote name='option.iv']Didn't dig the OP, wtf was up with that?[/QUOTE]
Gundam fans will find it hilarious, don't worry.

Anyway, looks like Funimation is wasting no time with those Geneon titles.

New single volume releases:

# Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage Vol. #1 (also w/limited edition) - 100 minutes - $29.98/39.98 - 08/19/2008
# Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage Vol. #2 - 100 minutes - $29.98 - 09/16/2008
# Hellsing Ultimate Vol. #4 - N/A minutes - $24.98 - 09/16/2008
# Karin Vol. #4 - 100 minutes - $29.98 - 09/02/2008
# Kyo Kara Maoh! Season 2 Vol. #7 - 100 minutes - $24.98 - 09/02/2008
# Paradise Kiss Box Set - 300 minutes - $49.98 - 09/23/2008
# When They Cry Vol. #4 - 100 minutes - $29.98 - 09/30/2008

New collections:

# Fate/Stay Night Box Set (also w/Limited Edition) - N/A minutes - $69.98 - 09/16/2008
# Kamichu! Box Set - N/A minutes - $49.98 - 09/23/2008
# Rozen Maiden Box Set - N/A minutes - $49.98 - 09/16/2008
# Shakugan no Shana Box Set - N/A minutes - $69.98 - 09/09/2008

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Gundam fans will find it hilarious, don't worry.

Anyway, looks like Funimation is wasting no time with those Geneon titles.

New single volume releases:

# Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage Vol. #1 (also w/limited edition) - 100 minutes - $29.98/39.98 - 08/19/2008
# Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage Vol. #2 - 100 minutes - $29.98 - 09/16/2008
[/quote]

Oh HELL yeah!

BTW, I saw the Ghost in the Shell Movie on Sci-Fi for the first time last night. Very, very cool. It's weird seeing different character designs compared to SAC or 2nd GiG (the Major looked way different), but it was neat seeing it on TV.

I started watching D.Gray-man out of need to just watch something. It's not bad so far. I'm only like six episodes in, but I think I'll keep watching. Not the best thing ever, but pretty decent for a shonen action show. I can definitely see why people say it's sorta like a mix of Bleach and FMA.

[quote name='karsh']I started watching D.Gray-man out of need to just watch something. It's not bad so far. I'm only like six episodes in, but I think I'll keep watching. Not the best thing ever, but pretty decent for a shonen action show. I can definitely see why people say it's sorta like a mix of Bleach and FMA.[/quote]

The end is near for this series (I think) and I like that they don't (relatively speaking) drag it out like Naruto or Bleach.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Oh HELL yeah!

BTW, I saw the Ghost in the Shell Movie on Sci-Fi for the first time last night. Very, very cool. It's weird seeing different character designs compared to SAC or 2nd GiG (the Major looked way different), but it was neat seeing it on TV.[/quote]

Wait. You never saw the original GITS movie until last night?:shock:

[quote name='jaykrue']Wait. You never saw the original GITS movie until last night?:shock:[/quote]

Nope. I always wanted to, but never had the chance.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Nope. I always wanted to, but never had the chance.[/quote]

Hah! Never thought I'd see the day! It's like finding someone who has never seen a Star Wars movie in their life. You hear they exist but you rarely find one. :lol:

[quote name='jaykrue']The end is near for this series (I think) and I like that they don't (relatively speaking) drag it out like Naruto or Bleach.[/quote]

That would be nice to know there's a definite end in sight for the series. Both Naruto and Bleach have annoyed me beyond belief with the never endingness to them. It's also why I've never really been able to get into One Piece, cause there's a 350+ episode backlog to get current...

I've watched another 5 or so episodes now of D.Gray-man, and I'm still enjoying it. Still far from the greatest thing ever but it's entertaining. I could see myself watching this through to the end.

[quote name='jaykrue']Hah! Never thought I'd see the day! It's like finding someone who has never seen a Star Wars movie in their life. You hear they exist but you rarely find one. :lol:[/quote]

Believe it or not I haven't seen Star Wars either. I know who the characters are, but I don't recall ever seeing the movies. Always been a diehard Star Trek fan.

BTW, Batman: Gotham Knight is out. It's similar to the Animatrix in that different studios did a short story. I enjoyed it.

I feel like such a geek right now. I just realized that I've been sitting listening to this anime music radio station ALL DAY :D I've also found like 4 more soundtracks and 2 anime shows that I want because of it :p

[quote name='jaykrue']Hah! Never thought I'd see the day! It's like finding someone who has never seen a Star Wars movie in their life. You hear they exist but you rarely find one. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I've found several, floors me every time. Fox used to play it damn near every weekend back in the day.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Believe it or not I haven't seen Star Wars either. I know who the characters are, but I don't recall ever seeing the movies. Always been a diehard Star Trek fan.[/quote]

none at all? even the prequels? (w/ sam jackson, natalie portman, etc.)

i gave up on Higurashi. i liked the first arc but after semi-suffering up to ep 13 i stopped.. started getting cheesy

also stopped Honey + Clover after the first episode. i might give it another shot in the future, but it was just.. boring :whistle2:#

[quote name='tehweezner']i gave up on Higurashi. i liked the first arc but after semi-suffering up to ep 13 i stopped.. started getting cheesy
[/quote]

That makes me feel less bad, I stopped at episode 15. I don't think I could sit through another 35 episodes (and at least 1 OVA) of the same characters going through the same thing happening around the same festival. I may be able to sit through a arc (i think they call them chapters) every now and then, but a marathon watch is a bad idea for this show.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Believe it or not I haven't seen Star Wars either. I know who the characters are, but I don't recall ever seeing the movies. Always been a diehard Star Trek fan.

BTW, Batman: Gotham Knight is out. It's similar to the Animatrix in that different studios did a short story. I enjoyed it.[/QUOTE]
I picked up Gotham Knight today on blu-ray. Haven't watched it yet though. Also picked up the first volume of Gurren Lagann.

So uuuhh...why is Lucky Star supposed to be good? I mean they talked for like 15 minutes about how to eat things. The only amusing parts were guile's nuts getting destroyed and the "TV Show" at the end. Does this get any better later or is it just a really lame Azumanga wannabe?

So yeah I'm caught up on Code Geass....damn I love that show.

I've decided to catch up on One Piece. I checked in and saw that I'm about 160 eps behind! BA....BA...BAKANAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

I've gotta pick up the last 3 discs of Le Chevalier. I got through the first disc back in December, and it's a fantastic show, but I've been waiting until I got the rest of it before watching any more.

Kuroi Kaze and I seem to agree on everything. Code Geass rules, Death Note is great, Lucky Star is unfunny and Tengen Toppa is very overrated.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']So uuuhh...why is Lucky Star supposed to be good? I mean they talked for like 15 minutes about how to eat things. The only amusing parts were guile's nuts getting destroyed[/quote]

Say WHAT!? :whistle2:#

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back