That's not a mobile suit, it's the anime and manga thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='ChibiJosh']Anyone on the east coast going to the Otakon?[/QUOTE]

After last year's sorry Otakon i'm on the fence, didn't have nearly as much fun as previous years. I don't know panels just seemed boring, the Funimation panel consisted of the art director babbling about how much he loved art and what pieces he used to put on a box, ADV had a question and answer session about a bunch of shows i've never heard of, highlight was seeing people go apeshit over Devil May Cry ep 1, guess none of them had seen enough of the series to know it stunk.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I liked Lucky Star, but I liked it because it reminded me of my friends and I if that makes any sense.[/QUOTE]

It makes complete sense, though probably not in the way you intended.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I liked Lucky Star, but I liked it because it reminded me of my friends and I if that makes any sense.[/quote]

I love Lucky Star exactly for that reason. Each of the characters personifies a different group of people I hang out with. I have the Konata group - the otaku/gamer set, the Tsukasa group - the timid but cute wallflowers who I have to drag kicking & screaming when I wanna go out, the Kagami group - the mature (but sometimes immature) ultra "must act like an adult" friends who don't understand why I hang out w/ the other groups, and finally, the Miyuki group, the genteel, 'rich' kids who always act proper & are really smart. It's like they took a page out of my life & distilled it into an anime. So of course I love it. :bouncy:

[quote name='coolsteel']After last year's sorry Otakon i'm on the fence, didn't have nearly as much fun as previous years. I don't know panels just seemed boring, the Funimation panel consisted of the art director babbling about how much he loved art and what pieces he used to put on a box, ADV had a question and answer session about a bunch of shows i've never heard of, highlight was seeing people go apeshit over Devil May Cry ep 1, guess none of them had seen enough of the series to know it stunk.[/quote]
I'm largely on the fence too, though I'll probably break down and go. My first Otakon was 2001, and the fun has mostly been going down since then because every year I know less and less people going.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I'm largely on the fence too, though I'll probably break down and go. My first Otakon was 2001, and the fun has mostly been going down since then because every year I know less and less people going.[/QUOTE]

Its funny, I was looking at the guest list and the only one I cared about of all people was Peter Fernandez, hell I might go just so he can sign a Speed Racer poster or something.

[quote name='coolsteel']Its funny, I was looking at the guest list and the only one I cared about of all people was Peter Fernandez, hell I might go just so he can sign a Speed Racer poster or something.[/quote]
Well, I do rather want to see JAM Project, but I don't know if that alone is worth it.

[quote name='darkcecil32']If you like Code Geass, you may want to give Death Note a try. The first 2/3 of the Death Note anime was great, the final 1/3 was awful imho, and I've heard the manga also started to fall apart right around that point. Something happens to a certain major character, and the show just loses its intrigue and suspense.[/QUOTE]

I'm on episode 28...

Were you referring to L dying? L died in episode 26, and these two episodes have been really boring now... I can't imagine it being too great from here on out, without L. They should've just made it 26 eps. I'm gonna stick with it though, I blazed through the first ~25 in two days.

[quote name='Koggit']I'm on episode 28...

Were you referring to L dying? L died in episode 26, and these two episodes have been really boring now... I can't imagine it being too great from here on out, without L. They should've just made it 26 eps. I'm gonna stick with it though, I blazed through the first ~25 in two days.
[/QUOTE]

It doesn't get better, it just drags on from that point.

Haven't been able to get online for the last couple days cause AT&T f'ed up my dsl connection again.:bomb: It's alright now though , they fixed the problem. As usual it was there own equipment.:roll:

Anyway , finally after much delay I managed to finish watching GTO. I liked it a lot. It was strange cause I hesitated watching it initially and didn't think I'd like it but I don't know why. Glad I did watch it though.

Time to dig out the backlog list , which was buried halfway through the last thread:
Haibane Renmei
Azumanga Daioh
Escaflowne
GTO

Last Exile
Witch Hunter Robin
Zone of the Enders
Record of the Lodess War
Space Pirate Captain Herlock
Niea under 7
Tenchi in Tokyo
Final Fantasy Unlimited

There has been a couple new additions to my backlog since I made this list. Wanted to know if anyone could help me figure out where to place them:
Noien (picked up from that Best Buy sale a few months ago)
Robotech Protoculture Collection (same)
Naruto (doesn't really matter since I don't have all the current released sets , plus the shows ongoing , plus I'd just be rewatching a lot of these episodes)

Any of these I should push to the front or should I just start on Last Exile?

[quote name='SeanAmI122886']I thought that was fake.[/quote]

Those designs are real. Gundam 00's official site has been updated.

Almost kinda glad the S2 designs aren't over the top. They said they went with less lines so it would be easier to animate so they can focus on action shots.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Haven't been able to get online for the last couple days cause AT&T f'ed up my dsl connection again.:bomb: It's alright now though , they fixed the problem. As usual it was there own equipment.:roll:

Anyway , finally after much delay I managed to finish watching GTO. I liked it a lot. It was strange cause I hesitated watching it initially and didn't think I'd like it but I don't know why. Glad I did watch it though.

Time to dig out the backlog list , which was buried halfway through the last thread:
Haibane Renmei
Azumanga Daioh
Escaflowne
GTO

Last Exile
Witch Hunter Robin
Zone of the Enders
Record of the Lodess War
Niea under 7
Tenchi in Tokyo
Final Fantasy Unlimited

There has been a couple new additions to my backlog since I made this list. Wanted to know if anyone could help me figure out where to place them:
Naruto (doesn't really matter since I don't have all the current released sets , plus the shows ongoing , plus I'd just be rewatching a lot of these episodes)

Any of these I should push to the front or should I just start on Last Exile?[/quote]

Noien is underrated.:bouncy:

[quote name='SeanAmI122886']It doesn't get better, it just drags on from that point.[/QUOTE]

The only good thing after
L dies]
is
Teru's badassness

[quote name='SeanAmI122886']It doesn't get better, it just drags on from that point.[/QUOTE]

Though the entire arc with the Yotsuba Group was *far worse* than anything that followed it. He's already survived the worst part of the show.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Any of these I should push to the front or should I just start on Last Exile?[/QUOTE]

Last Exile is probably the best of the bunch. Noein should be next, then maybe Witch Hunter Robin and Herlock. Everything thereafter will probably be a chore for you to watch, as it ranges from incredibly mediocre to downright awful.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Koggit']Kuroi Kaze and I seem to agree on everything. Code Geass rules, Death Note is great, Lucky Star is unfunny and Tengen Toppa is very overrated.[/quote]

..and you're from Seattle which I will probably make my home in a year or two.

Friend Request coming your way!

Lucky Star just seemed to punish me with massive unfunny portions with a brief moment of brilliance. I'll probably steel myself for another go, but at this point I'm back into One Piece. I have to say the eps around 225-235 I watched last night actually had me RIVETED to the television. Probably some of the best moments in One Piece I've ever seen.

What it was
when the Franky brothers beat up Usopp and stole the mugiwara's money and Usopp is too ashamed to face them. Then he goes to fight the brothers himself and just receives more a beatdown. Finally the crew shows up and murders the entire Franky brothers gang but their money is still unrecovered. At the same time the news of the Going Merry being destroyed pushes an already beleagured Usopp to leave the crew and to challenge Luffy to a duel. Man, so much drama.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Haven't been able to get online for the last couple days cause AT&T f'ed up my dsl connection again.:bomb: It's alright now though , they fixed the problem. As usual it was there own equipment.:roll:

Haibane Renmei
Azumanga Daioh
Escaflowne
GTO

Last Exile
Witch Hunter Robin
Zone of the Enders
Record of the Lodess War
Niea under 7
Tenchi in Tokyo
Final Fantasy Unlimited

Any of these I should push to the front or should I just start on Last Exile?[/quote]

Last Exile is excellent. Record of Loduss War is awesome, though the US DVD release video quality sucks. Are you going to watch the newer Herlock or the older original series? The newer series was ok, but the older one is awesome. Robotech is overrated. Robotech is an edited version of three unrelated series spliced together. I seen only parts of said 'Robotech' though I own all three original series (Macross, Southern Cross, and Mespeada), and they are fantastic.

I'd have to give a neg vote to Witch Hunter Robin....I wanted to love this series sooooo much. All it did was just disappoint me over and over again. Robin is a crappy girlfriend, don't date her.

[quote name='Dkellar']Last Exile is excellent. Record of Loduss War is awesome, though the US DVD release video quality sucks. Are you going to watch the newer Herlock or the older original series? The newer series was ok, but the older one is awesome. Robotech is overrated. Robotech is an edited version of three unrelated series spliced together. I seen only parts of said 'Robotech' though I own all three original series (Macross, Southern Cross, and Mespeada), and they are fantastic.[/QUOTE]

It's the most recent Herlock series. I know well the history of robotech , and despite the fact that the show is a "hack" of three unrelated shows fused together , I still like it.

I find it interesting that you say you like the three original shows that robotech is made from , since most fans (that've I've read online) seem to feel that although Macross was great on its own , that Southern Cross and Mespeada were both subpar shows that were made better as part of robotech.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']I'd have to give a neg vote to Witch Hunter Robin....I wanted to love this series sooooo much. All it did was just disappoint me over and over again. Robin is a crappy girlfriend, don't date her.[/QUOTE]

I've actually watched Robin previously when it was on adult swim and wasn't really dissapointed in it , but I didn't follow it closly enough and want to rewatch it.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Last Exile is probably the best of the bunch. Noein should be next, then maybe Witch Hunter Robin and Herlock. Everything thereafter will probably be a chore for you to watch, as it ranges from incredibly mediocre to downright awful.[/QUOTE]

Robotech says otherwise.;) I feel that I have a high tolerance for crap (this applies to video games as well) so we'll have to see about the rest of the shows.

[quote name='StarKnightX']It's the most recent Herlock series. I know well the history of robotech , and despite the fact that the show is a "hack" of three unrelated shows fused together , I still like it.

I find it interesting that you say you like the three original shows that robotech is made from , since most fans (that've I've read online) seem to feel that although Macross was great on its own , that Southern Cross and Mespeada were both subpar shows that were made better as part of robotech.
[/QUOTE]

Having seen Southern Cross as well, good God was it bad. It was bad in robotech as well, its a pretty funny show in that regard. Mosepeda on the other hand I enjoyed quite a bit. For years I had heard from fans that Macross got hacked to pieces in robotech, honestly there wasn't much different. A few references to robotechnology thrown in, music changed and that was that. Oh and a surprisingly more morbid ending.

[quote name='coolsteel']Having seen Southern Cross as well, good God was it bad. It was bad in robotech as well, its a pretty funny show in that regard. Mosepeda on the other hand I enjoyed quite a bit. For years I had heard from fans that Macross got hacked to pieces in robotech, honestly there wasn't much different. A few references to robotechnology thrown in, music changed and that was that. Oh and a surprisingly more morbid ending.[/QUOTE]

I can also agree from having seen Southern Cross as part of Robotech (The Masters Season) that it was pretty boring. Useful for plot progression but not much else. The New Generation (Mosepeda) is the only season of robotech I've NEVER seen.

The Macross season I think is the one edited the least , as you mentioned other than changing some music and adding in the refrences to the robotech masters and whatnot. Most likely when they started the robotech project they began with macross as the template , and when they decided to add southern cross and mosepeda , it was easier to just add minor refrences to future events in the macross season , where in later seasons they had to do more drastic changes to fit them in with previous events.

Oh , and you mention a surprisingly more morbid ending. In the original macross or the robotech version of macross?

[quote name='StarKnightX']I can also agree from having seen Southern Cross as part of Robotech (The Masters Season) that it was pretty boring. Useful for plot progression but not much else. The New Generation (Mosepeda) is the only season of robotech I've NEVER seen.

The Macross season I think is the one edited the least , as you mentioned other than changing some music and adding in the refrences to the robotech masters and whatnot. Most likely when they started the robotech project they began with macross as the template , and when they decided to add southern cross and mosepeda , it was easier to just add minor refrences to future events in the macross season , where in later seasons they had to do more drastic changes to fit them in with previous events.

Oh , and you mention a surprisingly more morbid ending. In the original macross or the robotech version of macross?[/QUOTE]

Robotech version

[quote name='coolsteel']Robotech version[/QUOTE]

You've perked my interest , could you elaborate please?:)

[quote name='Anbu_Zim']ooohh, robotech. good times, good times. i have the remastered complete series on 21 discs.[/quote]

Same here.

[quote name='StarKnightX']You've perked my interest , could you elaborate please?:)[/QUOTE]
In Robotech the entire bridge crew, except Lisa, is killed in Khyron's final attack. In Macross, Khyron only damages the Macross's arm. The crew survives.

[quote name='MarkMan']Macross fucking Frontier...

It's winning me over and over again with each episode...

Beautiful series.[/QUOTE]

I concur

So far my favorite episode of Frontier has to be 7, just the quality of the battle scenes in that episode push it above the rest.

[quote name='LeafPanda']Anyone have any good anime or manga to recommend?[/quote]

here's some

FMA
evangelion
death note
cowboy bebop
azumanga daioh
berserk
haibane renmei
monster
code geass
paranoia agent
hikaru no go
beck
last exile
GTO
12 kingdoms
hajime no ippo
FLCL
samurai champloo
GITS SAC
claymore
hunter x hunter
planetes
scrapped princess :cool:

[quote name='tehweezner']here's some

FMA
evangelion
death note
cowboy bebop
azumanga daioh
berserk
haibane renmei
monster
code geass
paranoia agent
hikaru no go
beck
last exile
GTO
12 kingdoms
hajime no ippo
FLCL
samurai champloo
GITS SAC
claymore
hunter x hunter
planetes
scrapped princess :cool:[/quote]
A good chunk of them I'm familiar with, recently read volume 1 of hunter x hunter and I loved it =P. I watched a couple episodes of FLCL weird in a good way. Which one of those above include action and or robots. I know code geass does, but most are unfamiliar.
The last manga I've finished was Buso Renkin (loved it) Read 10 volumes of Negima ( love this one too)
I'll just list off ones I read or tried from that list:
Evangelion(pretty good)
Death Note ( good)
hikaru no go
claymore (looks weird)
samurai champloo( watched some episodes form adult swim)
cowboy bebop ( watched the opening from adult swim)

[quote name='tehweezner']here's some

FMA***
evangelion
death note***
cowboy bebop***
azumanga daioh
berserk

haibane renmei
monster

code geass***
paranoia agent
hikaru no go***
beck***

last exile
GTO
12 kingdoms
hajime no ippo***
FLCL***
samurai champloo
GITS SAC

claymore
hunter x hunter
planetes
scrapped princess
:cool:[/QUOTE]

I think this is actually a pretty great list.

Things I've seen
Things I haven't seen
***Recommendations I second (no asterisk = didn't enjoy it)

I'd add Trigun, Outlaw Star, and Big O. Huge props to your list for including Hajime no Ippo, and also for not including The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya nor Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan.

I just watched episode 32 of Death Note and am super confused...

Light was on the phone with "Kira", in the room with Taki, and the police department had the room bugged... Light writes on a piece of paper for the police department to remove all the bugs and they immediately do without question. WTF? It seems like a huge, gaping hole in the plot... it doesn't make any sense at all. "hay guyz, im not kira but stop watching me for a second while i talk about kira stuff kthx" and they're never the wiser? After constant suspicion, they just say "okay, that's a reasonable request"? WTF?!

[quote name='coolsteel']That animeondvd.com merge sure was unexpected, I just happened to visit today and had a wtf moment[/quote]

:lol: I just did the same thing. I was moving my bookmarks around from my different browsers and when I loaded AOD to check it I was like huh? Had to do a double check and googled the site just to make sure I had the right address.

Anybody been keeping up with the Hellsing Manga? Spoilers for latest issues
I guess Alucard really is dead and won't pop out of a hat or something? Seras is the new top dog

If anyone watched Someday's Dreamers (aka Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto), you need to watch Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto: Natsu no Sora. And, if you haven't seen Someday's Dreamers you have to see that and this. They aren't really connected, so the order you watch them in doesn't matter.

The new series, which is currently airing, has beautiful animation. I honestly can't decide whether or not some of the backgrounds are photographs or not because they seem so real.

That's old, Guile.

DB dropping Shippuuden, for real or another stupid joke? They've cried wolf too many times for me to believe them.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']That's old, Guile.

DB dropping Shippuuden, for real or another stupid joke? They've cried wolf too many times for me to believe them.[/quote]

Their logic isn't faulty and streaming is how the kiddies seem to want to watch things since they can't even fcuking wait for a damn torrent. :roll::lol: Oh well. No big thing. While not the quality DB's putting out, I'm sure there'll still be fansubbers out there. it's not going to dent fansubbing that much.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']That's old, Guile.

DB dropping Shippuuden, for real or another stupid joke? They've cried wolf too many times for me to believe them.[/QUOTE]

No kidding, they pull a stunt every few months like this, if it were really true I would imagine the first thing they would do is remove the files from their trackers, since they are still up I call horseshit until further notice.

[quote name='coolsteel']No kidding, they pull a stunt every few months like this, if it were really true I would imagine the first thing they would do is remove the files from their trackers, since they are still up I call horseshit until further notice.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. Not to mention they pull this during a week when Naruto didn't even air. The joke is getting old.

[quote name='Liquid 2']DB has always stunk.

Didn't they pretend one of their staff was picked up by the police for subbing at one point?[/QUOTE]

During last year's Otakon yes

DB is the definition of troll. There subs have never been that good anyway.
I wish someone would just release subs faster then them so all the leechers would just goto that group instead of DB.

[quote name='SeanAmI122886']DB is the definition of troll. There subs have never been that good anyway.
I wish someone would just release subs faster then them so all the leechers would just goto that group instead of DB.[/QUOTE]

Not true. DB has really stepped up their quality over the last few years. For a group that's able to crank out episodes as fast as they do, the accuracy is impressive. I'm just sick of all the artificial drama they manufacture every couple of months as a "joke."

Also, you may want to work on your own English before criticizing the English of others.

They've attempted to hold episodes as ransom for money, claimed they were stopping all of their projects before for this same thing, and claimed that a good portion of their staff was arrested at Otakon when invited for the fansubbing panel amongst other things. They've apparently tried to pull the same thing for Bleach during one of its off weeks before, so that seems to make trolling the more likely answer.

An example:

Frisky, not to mention all the troll releases. They know the leechers will continue to download no matter how many times they pull this crap because they are the only ones doing either series. The worst thing was the whole GNAA fiasco in which they released an episode of gay porn in place of a naruto episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back