The 2008 MLB Season Thread (Update: Phillies Won)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no other splash to be made. All the pitchers are gone. There is no major offensive player out there now or in the years to come.

Since it came from henry I hope it is to call boras bluff. In the espn article, it said that the sox were trying to resign Damon, they had 4 years 40 mill on the table. Boras told them he had 5 and 63 mill on the table. The sox dropped out due to not wanting 5 year contract. They were pissed when Damon signed the 4 year deal with the yanks.

They had 5 years but it was from Detroit, Damon didn't want to go there. I don't think the Sox mind terribly if he does go to the Nationals and becomes irrelevant.

Sox are reportedly in the hunt for Peavy, though I don't know how much will come of that.

Peavys agent said he would be open to playing for Boston. No word if the sox are pursuing. I would think the cost of young talent would be prohibitive, and I don't want peavy. The padres have been trying to dump him for a couple of years. He has bad post seaon (limited)#s. His home away splits last year had a big uptick in away starts. He is playing in a very pitcher friendly park and he plays in possibly the wost division.

We told Randy's agents that we wanted to meet with him in-person. They told us that they would get back to us after he filed for free agency. We haven't heard another word on the subject. We offered to pay Randy what we felt was fair and respect the fact that he chose to explore the market - he will always have a place here in Arizona.

Man... Randy should win 300 as a Diamondback.

[quote name='dafoomie']Henry is calling Boras's bluff. He's essentially saying that this is our offer, and if you've got a better one take it, because we're not budging.

Boras is trying to use the Nationals to drive up the price when Teixeira has no intention of going there, and Henry is not going to be played. They know they've got the Angels offer beat, and that the Yankees aren't in it.[/QUOTE]

yeah dont forget the offer from the Orioles who have absolutely nothing to do with this.

i actually like what Henry said and for that ulterior reason. If he wants to win he will come to the Sox or Angels...if he wants to be a career loser..than he could go to the Nats of Orioles. I think Tex wants to win so it has to be either Sox or Angels.

[quote name='ryanbph']Peavys agent said he would be open to playing for Boston. No word if the sox are pursuing. I would think the cost of young talent would be prohibitive, and I don't want peavy. The padres have been trying to dump him for a couple of years. He has bad post seaon (limited)#s. His home away splits last year had a big uptick in away starts. He is playing in a very pitcher friendly park and he plays in possibly the wost division.[/QUOTE]

I think Justin Masterson or even John Lester is what the Pads would be asking for and thats too much.

Kieth Law's Top 10 FA that are left are:

Tex
ManRam
Lowe
Dunn
Bradley
Oliver Perez
Burrell
Hudson
Abreu
Randy Johnson.

There is still quite a few left but i have no idea where any of these guys are going except that Lowe might go to either NY Teams and Perez who is talking to Mets...but i dont think the MEts will pay the 75 million to keep him. But who knows...omar has surprised me this winter.

Thats what I was I thinking. Dunn is solid, but Ks a lot. And Sheets isn't even on that list. If healthy, he is a beast. An incentive laden deal may be ideal for Sheets.

dunn is not solid, and we have no position for him. bay, ellsbury and drew are the OF we have and I wouldn't trade any of them away to sign dunn. His obp and K's will prevent the redsox from even looking at him. He isn't there type of player. Their offensive philosopy is to keep the line moving. They are fine with having a bunch of great obp players that hit singles.

Sheets is a possiblity, but we really don't need SP. We have wakefield, beckett, dice K, and lester. The 5th spot (4th if you drop wakefield down in the rotation) is sorta open, but we have bowden, buckholtz and masterson possibly all competing for the job. If they should sign anyone that would come cheap/incentive based it should be john smoltz. He is allegedly healthy and throwing great. Or we can always woo schilling back for a half season if we need a 5th starter. IMO that is the best move as we don't need to get tied down to an elder player (lowe) for several years when we have so many arms in the minors.

I don't like Dunn either.

The Sox are reportedly offering Buchholz and Lowell in a package for Peavy. I'm not a huge Peavy fan but I'd do it as long as it didn't involve two top pitching prospects, that package and maybe a B-list guy thrown in would be fine.

[quote name='dafoomie']I don't like Dunn either.

The Sox are reportedly offering Buchholz and Lowell in a package for Peavy. I'm not a huge Peavy fan but I'd do it as long as it didn't involve two top pitching prospects, that package and maybe a B-list guy thrown in would be fine.[/quote]

So what happens if that goes through? Who plays 3B, assuming the Sox don't land Teixierra. Do they go in house and give it to Lowrie, thus start Lugo at SS. Or do they slide Youk over and bring someone in from the market?

[quote name='dafoomie']I don't like Dunn either.

The Sox are reportedly offering Buchholz and Lowell in a package for Peavy. I'm not a huge Peavy fan but I'd do it as long as it didn't involve two top pitching prospects, that package and maybe a B-list guy thrown in would be fine.[/quote]

Dafoomie, where did you see that deal proposed? I find it a little odd that it leaked out, as it would be contigent on the sox getting Teixeira. It seems highly unlikely that the Sox would sign Tex to a huge deal and then give Peavy a large contract extension.

[quote name='craven_fiend']So what happens if that goes through? Who plays 3B, assuming the Sox don't land Teixierra. Do they go in house and give it to Lowrie, thus start Lugo at SS. Or do they slide Youk over and bring someone in from the market?[/QUOTE]
They don't do it if they don't get Teixeira, not with Lowell included.

It was reported on the radio today as a 'rumor'. Peavy's under contract for the next 4 seasons with an option for a 5th, so there is no need for an extension in his case.

They have 2 solid 1b prospects. Chris carter is ready now. He Is a 1b that since coming to the sox in the willie mo pena trade has played some OF in Pawtucket. Lars Anderson is a big time big power prospect that is probablly 2 to 3 years away.

[quote name='dafoomie']They don't do it if they don't get Teixeira, not with Lowell included.

It was reported on the radio today as a 'rumor'. Peavy's under contract for the next 4 seasons with an option for a 5th, so there is no need for an extension in his case.[/quote]

Jake Peavy has a no trade clause. He isn't going to allow the trade without an extension

Tex announcement coming today per the Washington Post... looks like the Bosox got him.

Rumored offerings:

Bos = 8/$180
Wash = 9/$190

...and Teixeira to the Yankees.

8/$170

So which other clubs would Manny be viable to? So far it's looking like Manny is going to be a Dodger (fuck).

And the rich keep on gettin' richer...

I'm actually pulling for the Yankees to win it all so it'll force the MLB to put some type of salary-cap in place...

I don't want to hear any shit from now on about the Red Sox spending money. The Yankees pay 5 guys more than the entire Red Sox payroll.

This season just got a lot more interesting, thats for sure. At least now we can keep Mike Lowell at 3rd.

As for Peavy, he's not looking for an extension. As I said, he's under contract for 4 more seasons, the most he could ask for is to have the option for the 5th year picked up. Beyond that, he doesn't have the leverage since he won't stay in San Diego.

[quote name='ph33r m3']And the rich keep on gettin' richer...

I'm actually pulling for the Yankees to win it all so it'll force the MLB to put some type of salary-cap in place...[/quote]

good wish.. never going to happen..

[quote name='dafoomie']I don't want to hear any shit from now on about the Red Sox spending money. The Yankees pay 5 guys more than the entire Red Sox payroll.[/quote]

SAME HERE! what it is it? 700+Million if you include Arod and Jeter..

1 Billion Dollar Pay Roll here we come!

[quote name='dafoomie']I don't want to hear any shit from now on about the Red Sox spending money. The Yankees pay 5 guys more than the entire Red Sox payroll.

This season just got a lot more interesting, thats for sure. At least now we can keep Mike Lowell at 3rd.

[/QUOTE]

I agree this is insane. I hope they all get injured next season, or the Yankees continue to fall to third place. That would be rather amusing.

I actually rather see the Rays win the world series - or some low wage team to prove a point. The Marlins did it twice, let's see another team do it again.

Just makes it all the sweeter when the Yankees repeat with a third place finish yet again next season. They've already proved that you can't simply buy a World Series championship. History has shown that building your team from within and spending wisely on free agents for complementary purposes is a far better recipe for success.

Hopefully the Sox can now use the money earmarked for Tex for more cost effective purposes (extend Youkilis, re-sign Varitek for a 2-year deal and sign Brian Fuentes to bolster the bullpen and pick up Adam Dunn as reasonable rates).

Teixeira - 8/$180 million
CC Sabathia - 7/$161 million
Burnett - 5/$82.5 million

Yet another offseason dominated by the gluttonous deep-pocketed Yankees. That's just ridiculous money, especially for AJ "contract pitcher" Burnett. I wonder if now they'll finally be able to buy their way to their next world series, since they've been trying and failing since 2001 to do so.

It will just make Yankee losses that much more hilarious.

I wonder how the trade market is going to shake out now that the Yankees have bought up all the prized free agents.

[quote name='Synergy']Teixeira - 8/$180 million

Yet another offseason dominated by the gluttonous deep-pocketed Yankees. That's just ridiculous money, especially for AJ "contract pitcher" Burnett. I wonder if now they'll finally be able to buy their way to their next world series, since they've been trying and failing since 2001 to do so.

I wonder how the trade market is going to shake out now that the Yankees have bought up all the prized free agents.[/quote]

The money is ridiculous, and when I was driving back home on the radio they were discussing how MLB is really gonna hate what's happening with the Yankees spending costs.

Think of it this way....what teams are REALLY championship caliber?

Break it down by division:

NL West: None
NL East: Phillies/Mets (both spend money.....both above 90 Million I believe)
NL Central: Cubs (Spend a shit load)
AL West: None (Especially after the Angels let Tex and K-Rod walk)
AL Central: White Sox (spend nearly 120 mill)
AL East: Red Sox, Yanks, Rays (The Rays had to tank for 10 years)

No doubt you can make a case for that "Marlins team" like the Marlins, A's, Twins who have a low payroll and make a cute little playoff push to get everyone to support the underdog....but realistically....your looking out of 30 teams....7 are truly contenders.....

[quote name='Synergy']Teixeira - 8/$180 million

I wonder how the trade market is going to shake out now that the Yankees have bought up all the prized free agents.[/QUOTE]

well there is still quality out there.ManRam, Lowe,Perez,Dunn,Hudson.....all guys that can make an impact on any team and that could be just as good as Tex,C.C and Burnett. And i think the yanks overpaid burnett by alot. Sure these guys bring consistent regular season performances year in and year out but all these players have something in common. They stink when it matters most. C.C has been utterly atrocious in the post season.

Here are his playoff numbers
Career: 2-3 6.14 ERA 22ER 22BB 24 SO

If the Yanks want to pay that much for that than fine. C.C is back in the A.L and now he has to pitch against teams that blow him up consistently.

All in all though, they did this to appease their public, they are shaving off salary for this season with expiring contracts with Abreu,Giambi,Matsui.Pettite,Pavano,and Mussina...so alot if coming off the books even though it looks like alot has come on the books. We also dont know how their salary is structured. If the Yanks and the players they signed want to win now..then they could have backloaded their contracts and pay them less now and more at then end of their careers but no player would be dumb enough to agree to that..err i atleast i hope. let the yankees have them. it puts much more pressure on the team to succeed and on top of that...every game will be treated like a do or die game and when they lose games..they will get heavily criticized for it.

[quote name='ph33r m3']The money is ridiculous, and when I was driving back home on the radio they were discussing how MLB is really gonna hate what's happening with the Yankees spending costs.

Think of it this way....what teams are REALLY championship caliber?

Break it down by division:

NL West: None
NL East: Phillies/Mets (both spend money.....both above 90 Million I believe)
NL Central: Cubs (Spend a shit load)
AL West: None (Especially after the Angels let Tex and K-Rod walk)
AL Central: White Sox (spend nearly 120 mill)
AL East: Red Sox, Yanks, Rays (The Rays had to tank for 10 years)

No doubt you can make a case for that "Marlins team" like the Marlins, A's, Twins who have a low payroll and make a cute little playoff push to get everyone to support the underdog....but realistically....your looking out of 30 teams....7 are truly contenders.....[/quote]

The thing is, even though the small market teams make some noise here and there, they are not ever going to be consistently competitive the way things are currently. It requires a perfect storm of scouting, team makeup, excellent management, and relative competition. Tampa Bay is a poor excuse of a small market team being successful. They've had more number 1 draft picks in the last 10 years than the fucking LA Clippers. If you ask me, their resurgence was long overdue.

I'm not going to sit here and lie through my teeth and say I don't enjoy my team winning the services of players like Matsuzaka, but I really think some kind of spending ceiling and floor should be put in place.

You shouldn't have to be pigs like the Yankees to be competitive. Baseball is my favorite sport, but football is definitely the most exciting one I watch. There's a reason for that.

[quote name='integralsmatic']well there is still quality out there.ManRam, Lowe,Perez,Dunn,Hudson.....all guys that can make an impact on any team and that could be just as good as Tex,C.C and Burnett. And i think the yanks overpaid burnett by alot. Sure these guys bring consistent regular season performances year in and year out but all these players have something in common. They stink when it matters most. C.C has been utterly atrocious in the post season. [/quote]

There are other decent guys out there, but I would argue that none of those guys left (with the exception of Ramirez, who comes with the baggage of a whiny adolescent) are true superstars worthy of franchise money.

The Yankees way overpaid on Burnett, I think most people agree with that. CC is a great pitcher, but he's fat and not getting any thinner or younger. I have a hard time believing he's going to be healthy enough over the next 8 years to earn all of that money. Teixeira will likely be a great addition for the life of his contract, but the money is still nutty in my opinion. I'd take any of the three on my team, don't get me wrong, but not for those prices.

[quote name='ph33r m3']
No doubt you can make a case for that "Marlins team" like the Marlins, A's, Twins who have a low payroll and make a cute little playoff push to get everyone to support the underdog....but realistically....your looking out of 30 teams....7 are truly contenders.....[/quote]

the marlins have won the world series twice and they have been around for less than 15 years, the phillies have won the world series twice and they have been around for 126 years. Smart scouting, drafting, and trading, can lead small market teams a long way.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']the marlins have won the world series twice and they have been around for less than 15 years, the phillies have won the world series twice and they have been around for 126 years. Smart scouting, drafting, and trading, can lead small market teams a long way.[/quote]

Only one of the Marlins' championships can really be pointed to as a small market result: 2003. The first time around in '97, the Marlins signed Bobby Bonilla, Alex Fernandez and Moises Alou to big free agent contracts. They had the second highest payroll in the National League ($52.5 million), just behind the Atlanta Braves ($53.1 million). In fact, there were many articles discussing the Marlins and whether they had "bought" a championship.

If people remember, the Marlins were forced to fire sale their entire team shortly after that championship.

first off to the yanks...they signed some big names, but in reality how much better will they be. The replaced a 20 game winner in mussina with cc. They replaced a 14 game winner in pettite with a 15 or so game winner in aj burnett, assuming he stays healthy. They are replacing a .300 or so hitter with 100 or so rbis in abreau with mark texeria. Granted tex is going into the prime of his career and he may improve his numbers into the albert pujols range, but imo that is a shitload of money to field a similiar team. As for cc's playoff record, it is really tough to judge. In 07 he pitched a fucking shitload of IP, and then go lit up in the 2nd round of the playoffs vs the redsox. He had to be out of gas. IIRC he was over 230 ip that year, and then pitched in 2 rounds of the playoffs. John lester ran out of gas (location was horrible) this year vs the rays. He was well over his previous high in IP this year and pitched great all season, but was horrible in his starts vs tampa. This year cc total IP was reasonable but he pitched a fucking shitload of INN in sept to get the brewers to the playoffs.

As for my beloved redsox, what the fuck were they thinking by not at least upping the ante in the bid of texeria. It would have been great to have him in the lineup. You have your best player pleading to the press for the sox to sign someone to protect him in the lineup, and they backed down to the yanks. If they had upped the ante some, that could prevent the yanks from signing another big contract. They are still below last years salary, and in theory could sign either lowe, or manny and be in the same ballpark salary wise as last year. I hope to god that lowe and pappi are healthy and return to form. We still don't have a catcher, and if we sign varitek we don't have anything in terms of a backup.

And finally the rays. What were they thinking trading edwin jackson for matt joyce. I know joyce is young and he might develop, but jackson was a solid #5 starter and has nasty stuff. Manny refused to play in games he started due to not like facing him (other pitchers were verlander and seattles pitcher felix something) I know they need OF help, but this offseasons there is a ton of corner OF free agents and a bunch on the trade market. They should have gotten a lot more then matt joyce for a young pitcher with the stuff jackson has.

I wanted the Sox to get Tex but I think they were wise to hold the line at their last offer. Eight years for $180 million is flat out ridiculous for any player especially for the Sox who already have Youkilis who is almost as good.

Consider these numbers from last season:

Teixeira - 33 HR, 121 RBI, .308 AVG, .410 OBP, .552 SLG, .962 OPS
Youkilis - 29 HR, 115 RBI, .312 AVG, .390 OBP, .569 SLG, .959 OPS

They are really not that much different. Personally I want the Sox to use some of the money earmarked for Tex and lock up Youkilis long-term just like they did for Pedroia. 5-6 years at $8 million or even less/year is probably doable and a much better use of their money. Or if they are so concerned about Lowell, they can go after Adam Dunn who can play first base (granted not at a gold glove level) and is one of those players perceived as so overrated that he's actually underrated. Take away his batting average (a very overrated stat) and his numbers are still very impressive. He's been a consistent 40 HR, 100 RBI hitter with a career .381 OBP and OPS of .900, he probably can be had in the neighborhood at a 4-year, $40 million and gives time for Lars Andersen to develop.

As a guy that has watched Brad Penny for the last few years, I wouldn't be calling him a blockbuster move or even a good one until you have a season to look at. He hasn't started a whole season in a long time, his injury time has been significantly long, and he is known as a guy that doesn't take fitness seriously and his numbers after the all-star break tank. Right when you need him to hit that playoff stride and he's dogging it.

He is a vicious killer before the break, though. No doubt about that.

If they can keep his arm attached, if he can do decent in the 2nd half, and if he's under $10 or so a year, he's a deal. Anything else is too risky.

What the hell is it with the Dodgers and Sox trading rosters every few months now?

I'm sure the Bosox will give him the most ridiculous incentive-laden contract possible, so that if he does fall apart he'll get paid beans.

[quote name='lordwow']I'm sure the Bosox will give him the most ridiculous incentive-laden contract possible, so that if he does fall apart he'll get paid beans.[/quote]

I think his base contract is something like 5 mil, then after he hits certain thresholds, 160 IP is one, he gets increases. So if he returns to his form from the Marlins and early Dodger years, he will be a steal. Hell, we should've just gone for Burnett and Pavano too, then we'd have 3 out 5 from the Marlins title run. ikik

This is the alternative to the Salary Cap, here are the 2008 salaries for MLB:

1.New York Yankees$209,081,579$6,744,567
2.Detroit Tigers$138,685,197$4,622,840
3.New York Mets$138,293,378$4,609,779
4.Boston Red Sox$133,440,037$4,765,716
5.Chicago White Sox$121,152,667$4,487,136
6.Los Angeles Angels$119,216,333$4,110,908
7.Chicago Cubs $118,595,833$4,392,438
8.Los Angeles Dodgers$118,536,038$4,233,430
9.Seattle Mariners$117,993,982$4,538,230
10.Atlanta Braves$102,424,018$3,414,134
11.St. Louis Cardinals$100,624,450$3,049,226
12.Toronto Blue Jays$98,641,957$3,522,927
13.Philadelphia Phillies$98,269,881$3,388,617
14.Houston Astros$88,930,415$3,293,719
15.Milwaukee Brewers$81,004,167$2,793,247
16.Cleveland Indians$78,970,067$3,037,310
17.San Francisco Giants$76,904,500$2,651,879
18.Cincinnati Reds$74,277,695$2,971,108
19.San Diego Padres$73,677,617$2,376,697
20.Colorado Rockies$68,655,500$2,640,596
21.Texas Rangers$68,239,551$2,353,088
22.Baltimore Orioles$67,196,248$2,099,883
23.Arizona Diamondbacks$66,202,713$2,364,383
24.Minnesota Twins$62,182,767$2,487,311
25.Kansas City Royals$58,245,500$2,240,212
26.Washington Nationals$54,961,000$1,895,207
27.Pittsburgh Pirates$49,365,283$1,898,665
28.Oakland Athletics$47,967,126$1,713,112
29.Tampa Bay Rays$43,820,598$1,460,687
30.Florida Marlins$21,836,500$661,712

So you divide this into three groups, by pay scale:

Group $$$:
Yankees
Red Sox
Tigers
Mets
White Sox
Angels
Cubs
Dodgers

Group B:
Mariners
Braves
Cardinals
Blue Jays
Phillies
Astros
Brewers
Indians
Giants
Reds
Padres
Rockies

Group C:
Rangers
Orioles
Diamondbacks
Twins
Royals
Pirates
Nationals
A's
Rays
Marlins

Then you can create divisions
Group $$$:
East
Yankees
Red Sox
Mets
Tigers

West
Angels
Dodgers
Cubs
White Sox

Group B:
East
Phillies
Braves
Indians
Reds
Blue Jays
Brewers

West
Mariners
Cardinals
Astros
Giants
Padres
Rockies

Group C
East
Orioles
Pirates
Nationals
Rays
Marlins

West
Rangers
Diamondbacks
Twins
Royals
A's

Then what you do is after the season is over you take the best from Group B East and West and move them up to group $$$ and the Worst east and west teams from Group $$$ to group B, same with Group C.

Group $$$:
East
Yankees
Red Sox
Mets
Phillies - From Group B

West
Angels
Cubs
White Sox
Brewers - From Group B

Group B:
East
Tigers - From Group $$$
Indians
Reds
Blue Jays
Astros
Rays - From Group C

West
Mariners
Cardinals
Dodgers - From Group $$$
Giants
Twins - From Group C
Rockies

Group C
East
Orioles
Pirates
Nationals
Braves - From Group B
Marlins

West
Rangers
Diamondbacks
Royals
A's
Padres - From Group B

So you want divisions to mean nothing? If teams move all over the place there would be no division rivalries at all anymore. Division have little meaning left as it is, why would you want to take that little meaning away.

Salary Cap is the way to go.

There should be a salary floor then, as well. At least I know when I'm paying ridiculous ticket prices, that money is being spent on the team.

Some owners are content to cut corners and field a crappy team in order to pocket money, they should be brought in line too. It's not only about market size. Some teams in profitable markets aren't spending to field a competitive team.

I don't think you need a salary cap (it has been proven time and time again that outspending everyone else doesn't even guarantee a playoff spot, none of top 3 teams made the playoffs last season) but a salary floor should be enforced to have teams at least spend to keep their franchise players.

[quote name='dopa345']I don't think you need a salary cap (it has been proven time and time again that outspending everyone else doesn't even guarantee a playoff spot, none of top 3 teams made the playoffs last season) but a salary floor should be enforced to have teams at least spend to keep their franchise players.[/quote]

So you don't think that the Yanks buying Sabathia, Texiera, etc won't get them to the playoffs?? More than likely it increases the likely hood.. watch the Devil Rays not even make the playoffs this year.. much like the Tigers the year before..

salary caps include salary floors.. you have to spend a certain amount..

Your arbitrary cutoffs are baffling. Why are two teams spending less than $600,000 difference (Dodgers & Mariners, Rockies & Rangers) in different tiers? I could see it if you went with even number cutoffs (say, $100,000,000) or even the top 10 teams by salary, but this just seems like you found some numbers and did.... something with them.

And for the record, as a fan of a small/mid-market team, I don't like how certain teams spend their way to the playoffs, but I don't think this system is better in any way.

[quote name='Genocidal']Your arbitrary cutoffs are baffling. Why are two teams spending less than $600,000 difference (Dodgers & Mariners, Rockies & Rangers) in different tiers? I could see it if you went with even number cutoffs (say, $100,000,000) or even the top 10 teams by salary, but this just seems like you found some numbers and did.... something with them.

And for the record, as a fan of a small/mid-market team, I don't like how certain teams spend their way to the playoffs, but I don't think this system is better in any way.[/quote]

my cutoffs are to make even amounts of teams in each group.. It was just an example. It is also what soccer does in the European leagues. Yeah, Cleveland is a mid market team, but your team has at least tried to make the playoffs..

IMO the yanks move this offseason didn't guarantee a playoff spot. They are just as likely to finish 3rd as they are first. The AL east is going to be a tough division, and at the end of the season one of the teams won't make it.

[quote name='ryanbph']IMO the yanks move this offseason didn't guarantee a playoff spot. They are just as likely to finish 3rd as they are first. The AL east is going to be a tough division, and at the end of the season one of the teams won't make it.[/quote]

my money would then be on the Devil Rays..

[quote name='ryanbph']IMO the yanks move this offseason didn't guarantee a playoff spot. They are just as likely to finish 3rd as they are first. The AL east is going to be a tough division, and at the end of the season one of the teams won't make it.[/quote]

I agree, I think the yanks improved their chances but we don't even know how this will pan out. As i said before, C.C now has to pitch constantly against good lineups and how long can burnett stay healthy before he becomes Carl Pavano. Tex is the only solid signing but they still have holes to fill...not to mention what are they going to do with Joba. They need help in the pen but hank wants him to be a starter.plus who remains in their outfield? no abreu, matsui may be gone, same with damon, i mean that leaves you with Melky and Swisher. i dunno.

Bigger Payrolls neccessarily dont bring championships, mets and tigers are top 3 and they havent done anything..hell the tigers finished 2nd to last in their division. Mets are in the same boat...we spent 40 million dollars on a closer who only pitched about 2 1/2 years of his 4 year contract. We didnt show anything for the amount of money spent...but the amount of the money the Rays and Marlins spent, they showed how much you dont have to spend to be a good ball club. Ill never underestimate the Marlins again...i dont care what people say, if their prospects had a chance to develop and stay, they would be a powerhouse...like mike jacobs for instance. boy do i miss him. anyway, I think with small market teams, its all on your front office and manager to be on the same page and build up the club to where you want it to be.

EDIT:Forgot about Nady.

you cannot discount the amount of money these teams spend. Bottom Line.. Yanks, Red Sox, Mets have a better chance to win a championship than the Marlins, Pirates, or Royals

If the Marlins can win the world series anything could happen.
If the Rays can make the world series anything could happen.
Hell, the Dolphins just made the playoffs after only winning one game last season!

[quote name='speedracer']As a guy that has watched Brad Penny for the last few years, I wouldn't be calling him a blockbuster move or even a good one until you have a season to look at.[/QUOTE]
I was just being silly, he got 1 year/5 million + $3m in incentives, starting at 160 innings pitched. Josh Bard got a 1 year, non-guaranteed contract. These are fairly minor moves, Penny slots in as their 4th starter and Bard as a backup/platoon catcher. It allows Masterson to stay in the bullpen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back