The 2008 MLB Season Thread (Update: Phillies Won)

Status
Not open for further replies.
lowes contract demands might have been ok in previous seasons markets but no way he gets close to that. It might be best for him to sign a 1 year deal.

It's getting really hard to be a Braves fan--as it has been since Turner sold the team and payroll has kept shrinking.

Sucks since I'll be moving to Atlanta this summer.

[quote name='DomLando']So there are reports that Lowe wants 4 years 64 millions. He is meeting with the Braves today.

I still think I rather have Perez. Boras met with Minaya yesterday and they talked about Lowe, Perez and Manny. But it is being said that the Mets are going to try and get a 4th and 5th starter and probably stop after that without upgrading there offense. They may try and get another relief pitcher and stop there.

If the Mets can get Perez I would go for it. Lowe wants a 4th year and I would rather give a 4-5 year deal to a younger guy. They also made a one year offer to Redding but they are saying he wants 2, which i would not give to him.

They want to make a deal with Wolf but I think they are waiting to see what happens with Lowe and Perez before that.[/QUOTE]

yeah i can understand that too. Ollie would be just as good of a signing as lowe. I think witht he new pitiching coach it should help him fix this whole jekyl/hyde thing that has been going on with him.

if somehow we end up with both lowe and perez. we are gonna going to have one sick rotation but now with lowe adding that extra year. im not too sure its going to happen. looks like it will be either Wolf or hopefully Garland.

[quote name='ryanbph']lowes contract demands might have been ok in previous seasons markets but no way he gets close to that. It might be best for him to sign a 1 year deal.[/QUOTE]

i wish he would sign a 1 yr deal. i just dont like it that he is 36 and asking for long term.

Sox also brought back Mark Kotsay, 1 year deal.

They just need a catcher now, and they're pretty much all set. Hopefully its not Gregg Zaun.

[quote name='dafoomie']Sox also brought back Mark Kotsay, 1 year deal.

They just need a catcher now, and they're pretty much all set. Hopefully its not Gregg Zaun.[/QUOTE]

Did anyone sign I Rod yet? He would be a great catcher imho, regardless of age.
Kinda shocked they haven't signed Varitek yet even if his bat is horrible. The guy was still the captain.

Ivan Rodriguez is a terrible defensive catcher and doesn't even hit anymore. He doesn't know how to call a good game, never has, a lot of pitchers hate throwing to him.

Varitek wants a multiyear deal, nobody will give it to him. And anyone who signs him has to give up a 1st round pick to the Red Sox, since he's a type A free agent. Plus the Sox would get a sandwich pick.

[quote name='dafoomie']Ivan Rodriguez is a terrible defensive catcher and doesn't even hit anymore. He doesn't know how to call a good game, never has, a lot of pitchers hate throwing to him.

Varitek wants a multiyear deal, nobody will give it to him. And anyone who signs him has to give up a 1st round pick to the Red Sox, since he's a type A free agent. Plus the Sox would get a sandwich pick.[/quote]

Give you Bengie Molina for a third baseman...

Salty would be ideal since he hits righties very well, and Bard is better against lefties. I would not mind a platoon there at all. But since that's probably unrealistic since Theo does not want to trade Buchholz, I would imagine it's either Montero, Varitek or Kottaras to compliment Bard.

Theo never said he wouldn't trade Buchholz... In fact, if anything it seems like he's the most likely guy to go. They can deal him for a catcher and use the two picks from Varitek to replace him in the system.

I'm not sure if Salty is the right guy since his defensive abilities are questionable, the Sox have serious concerns. There are others though, Teagarden, Montero... Arizona is reportedly holding out for Michael Bowden for Montero, which the Sox won't do.

I am fine with a catching combo of bard/zaun. The combo should hit better then varitek cash. While neither are great game catchers at variteks level, neither are crappy. They look to have a mature rotation, with no real young inexperianced sp in the starting rotation. It would be 1 thing if two sp where to be filled by either buckholtz/bowden/masterson but at this current point it doesn't appear they need varitek for what he is asking. I would be fine signing varitek, as he is a great play calling catcher. I know he had a messy divorce last year and that probably aided in the plunge of his offensive production. If I were in charge, I would offer him either a 1 year $10mil deal or a 2 year $16 mil deal. I would also want him to understand that he is going to platoon and if/when we bring in a young replacement he is to mentor him. I also want to make it clear if/when he gets pinch hit for I don't want to hear any whinning. I couldn't believe he had the balls to bitch about being ph for in the playoffs vs the rays last year. He was bad during the season and fucking horrible in the post season. I lost a lot of love after last post season. He put his pride above the team and that shit ain't right

[quote name='DomLando']Mets signed Tim Redding. I am happy it is only a 1 year deal. I guess he is going to be the fifth starter.[/QUOTE]

wow that was quick. I was actually hoping for Garland or Wolf. but i guess redding is ok. he should be better than brandon knight. and this gives niese a little more time to develop his pitches.

[quote name='ryanbph']To bad as garland is an inn eater[/quote]

which is why i love Garland. He does what a backend rotation guy is supposed to do. eat up innings.

nice low risk high reward move from the sox. If saito is healthy, than that bullpen is solidified even further.

Michael Young is a possibility at short for the Sox, he wants out and Texas wants out of his contract. His deal is 5 years, 80 million, his production declined last year and he's 32. They'd have to at least take back Lugo's 2 years/18 million, and I'm not even sure I'd want Young even if they did. Thats a lot of money.

[quote name='dafoomie']Michael Young is a possibility at short for the Sox, he wants out and Texas wants out of his contract. His deal is 5 years, 80 million, his production declined last year and he's 32. They'd have to at least take back Lugo's 2 years/18 million, and I'm not even sure I'd want Young even if they did. Thats a lot of money.[/quote]

It would definitely depend on what they wanted in return and whether or not Teagarden or Salty were coming along with Young. I think the Sox should really stick it out with Lowrie for now. Same production and cheaper.

Edit: Why not something like this:

BOS gets

SS Michael Young
C Teagarden/Salty

TEX gets

SP Clay Bucholz (sure the spelling is off)
RP Daniel Bard
OF spec
3B Mike Lowell

This would allow Lowrie to slide over to 3rd, keep Young at SS, and give the Sox a solid C to tandem with Josh Bard. While also giving the Rangers a stud SP spec, a nice, future CL, and Mike Lowell to play 3B (since ego may already be destroyed with Teix rumor)

Last edited by a moderator:
Texas has to eat a large part of Young's contract in any trade. His 5-year/$80 million dollar extension kicks in this coming season for a guy with rapidly declining numbers over the past 3 seasons.

Now that Atlanta signed Lowe, I think I'd rather The Mets take a risk on Sheets than overpay Perez for a 4-5 year deal. I'm not sure why he hasn't been on their radar so far, but even with his injuries he ends up pitching more complete games than almost anyone in the league. I also think Tim Redding is a decent back end signing, if only for the fact that he pitched well with the exception of one game against the Phillies last year.

fuck the sox getting micheal young...maybe a couple of years ago...and fuck signing a young catcher, mortgage the farm when joe mauer comes a free agent 2 years from now.

[quote name='st0neface']Now that Atlanta signed Lowe, I think I'd rather The Mets take a risk on Sheets than overpay Perez for a 4-5 year deal. I'm not sure why he hasn't been on their radar so far, but even with his injuries he ends up pitching more complete games than almost anyone in the league. I also think Tim Redding is a decent back end signing, if only for the fact that he pitched well with the exception of one game against the Phillies last year.[/QUOTE]

I have been expressing wanting lowe...but for that much...atlanta can have him at 20 million a year. They offered Ollie a 3 year 30 million dolllar contract. I hope he signs or minaya ups it to get him locked in before pitchers and catchers report. the funny thing is that Minaya is pushing for Perez while the rest of the front office wanted Lowe.

Sheets will be on the radar now. He is going to become really cheap and with all these injury issues...it could be a low risk high reward type deal.sign him to a 1 year deal and extend him if he does well. Wolf is still on the radar also as the Mets want a high K guy besides Santana. We will see though. I want one more RP to close out the pen...either it be Joe Beimel or Juan Cruz.

Redding will be a good 5 guy. If he can carry the team in to 6 or 7th inning and leave to put RP name here, Putz and K-Rod. I think he will be fine. He pitched 183 innings last year...so if he can do that again. we are set at the 5 spot. but if we can get Ollie to sign it,the rotation would be set.

[quote name='ryanbph']fuck the sox getting micheal young...maybe a couple of years ago...and fuck signing a young catcher, mortgage the farm when joe mauer comes a free agent 2 years from now.[/quote]

True on the Young part. They need something now, though Bard is serviceable, at C. A younger C would be nice, and give them insurance if Mauer were taken up by another team or signed by Minnesota, since he is a hometown guy.

But definitely no to Young, even if the Rangers ate a lot of his contract.

So guys, what can i expect from Alex Cora. It looks like he will be backing up Reyes and maybe play some time at 2nd. should i expect a good off the bench guy or a waste of space?

Good glove, can play 2nd, 3rd, and short. Decent range. Singles hitter, can bunt a little, might hit .260 with regular playing time. Above average utility infielder who thinks he's more. Not a speedster or a base stealing threat, can pinch run for someone slow.

O's signed Greg Zaun
Padres claimed Jae Kuk Yu from the Rays (Yikes)
A Jones was released today
Youk signed a 4 year deal with Boston
Padres signed Eckstein
Bartolo Colon signed with the White Soxs

Hopefully the Braves can pick up Andruw for cheap. He's not worth any financial risk, but if they can get him cheap the should go for it. They need an outfielder and he's one of the best fielders in the history of the game. And maybe Pendleton can get his swing straightened out.

I expect it will happen, he said a while back the Braves were his top choice for a trade (he still lives in the Atlanta area)--but that wasn't happening with his salary. Now that the Dodger's have to eat that, they can sign him for a reasonable price.

Diamondbacks sign Jon Garland for 1/6.25 million.

I don't get it, that seems like a lot of cash for Garland... they should of signed Randy for another year instead.

[quote name='dafoomie']1 year deal, you can't go wrong.[/QUOTE]

seriously. I would take garland for a one year deal. a innings eater who can keep you in the game and is a great back end guy. He was on my wish list for whom the mets to get.

Better in terms of being more reliable, yes. I just think the Diamondbacks overpaid for him. Especially when they need to be investing some money into the bullpen as well... although him being an inning eater certainly helps.

yeah that kind of money for a fifth starter is way too big...but for garland who can be a 4th guy since i think Davis will have the 3rd spot right? He will save that pen alot of innings. I hope he does well.

[quote name='yukine']Better in terms of being more reliable, yes. I just think the Diamondbacks overpaid for him. Especially when they need to be investing some money into the bullpen as well... although him being an inning eater certainly helps.[/QUOTE]

D backs are helping their pen too. Looks like Tom Gordon will be a lock in their pen.

i agree Garland, high 3s mid 4s at the most.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Hopefully the Braves can pick up Andruw for cheap. He's not worth any financial risk, but if they can get him cheap the should go for it. They need an outfielder and he's one of the best fielders in the history of the game. And maybe Pendleton can get his swing straightened out.

I expect it will happen, he said a while back the Braves were his top choice for a trade (he still lives in the Atlanta area)--but that wasn't happening with his salary. Now that the Dodger's have to eat that, they can sign him for a reasonable price.[/quote]

dmaul, at this point you are probably a better fielder than Andruw Jones.

Ollie agreed to terms pending a physical. Saweet! Now hopefully we can change those 17 no decisions he had last year to wins. He could have had atleast or at the most 15 if the bullpen didnt suck this past year. The Mets mighta overpaid him since i think thats number 2 money but shit...with the market so dim with pitching now...il take a guy who is used to pitching here and has been healthy unlike sheets. even though i would like sheets to get a shot.

edit:number is not arbitrary...just thought he could've done it.

Man Ram, c'mon take the offer and get ready. No one is going to give you what you want, so take the best that's out there.

Manny is going to be a Yankee. I bet he has a 2-year deal for $23 million/year in his back pocket and is just trying to leverage a 3rd year from LA.

[quote name='ryanbph']manny is a fucking duche. IMO this is just a stalling tactic to avoid going to spring training on time[/QUOTE]

hahaha that is a possible and definitley believable situation. when he wants to play is he good but man i dont want to see him when he doesnt want to play.

[quote name='dopa345']Manny is going to be a Yankee. I bet he has a 2-year deal for $23 million/year in his back pocket and is just trying to leverage a 3rd year from LA.[/QUOTE]

Im thinking the he will get whatever he wants from the yankees. all the yanks have to do is ship out Matsui and their gold hehe.

[quote name='integralsmatic']Ollie agreed to terms pending a physical. Saweet! Now hopefully we can change those 17 no decisions he had last year to wins. He could have had atleast or at the most 15 if the bullpen didnt suck this past year. The Mets mighta overpaid him since i think thats number 2 money but shit...with the market so dim with pitching now...il take a guy who is used to pitching here and has been healthy unlike sheets. even though i would like sheets to get a shot.

edit:number is not arbitrary...just thought he could've done it.[/QUOTE]

I liked the Perez signing. I stated earlier I rather have him over Lowe because of age. We will see if Manuel can make him focus better and a more consistent pitcher. I am happy with the years and dollar amount as well, much better than what he was supposedly asking for in the beginning of free agency (5 year/60mill).

Omar said there will be no more big signings for the Mets and they will look for a few bench players and some minor league contracts. He is happy with what they have.

I have to disagree. Basically they are going in with the same team last year. Yes they have a better bullpen, but the starting rotation and lineup is virtually unchanged. We have to rely on Castillo at 2B, Delgado hitting like he did at the end of last year for a whole season, Church coming off injury, Schneider at catcher and a platoon of Murphy and Tatis. He said offense was not a problem last year but I can see it being a huge problem this year. The Wilpons do not want to have to pay a luxuary Tax so I doubt the Mets will sign or even try to sign Manny. They also want to trade Castro and dump is salary, to keep Cancel as the back up. This is going to be a looooong season.

[quote name='DomLando']I liked the Perez signing. I stated earlier I rather have him over Lowe because of age. We will see if Manuel can make him focus better and a more consistent pitcher. I am happy with the years and dollar amount as well, much better than what he was supposedly asking for in the beginning of free agency (5 year/60mill).

Omar said there will be no more big signings for the Mets and they will look for a few bench players and some minor league contracts. He is happy with what they have.

I have to disagree. Basically they are going in with the same team last year. Yes they have a better bullpen, but the starting rotation and lineup is virtually unchanged. We have to rely on Castillo at 2B, Delgado hitting like he did at the end of last year for a whole season, Church coming off injury, Schneider at catcher and a platoon of Murphy and Tatis. He said offense was not a problem last year but I can see it being a huge problem this year. The Wilpons do not want to have to pay a luxuary Tax so I doubt the Mets will sign or even try to sign Manny. They also want to trade Castro and dump is salary, to keep Cancel as the back up. This is going to be a looooong season.[/QUOTE]

yeah ollie looked better with Warthen improving his delivery. I hope Warthen can now get rid of the jekyl/hyde complex with him.

i totally agree with that. How can he be happy with what he has? I guess he didnt see the games in september huh...i mean phillies game, bases loaded, no out, and i think we only knock 1 run, than we get bases loaded again..but this time no outs and thats with wright,beltran, and delgado up. Your right, it is going to be a long season. Now i dont even want to think about it.

Why can't Adam Dunn get a deal he is solid IMO. Also we need to either rename this thread or start a new one 2009 training camps are about to start

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back