The 2008 MLB Season Thread (Update: Phillies Won)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Arikado']I was at the game. It's so painful being a Ranger fan. :cry:[/quote]

Could be worse, you could be a Pirates fan and scream when the owners don't do anything to help the club, poor DJSteel.

Big series for the Reds vs the Brewers

[quote name='craven_fiend']Could be worse, you could be a Pirates fan and scream when the owners don't do anything to help the club, poor DJSteel.[/QUOTE]

True. Murphy is extremely underrated (although he K'd in a clutch situation today with the bases loaded) and the offense can be built around a guy like Hamilton, so those are two good pickups. Young is off to another slow start, but you can almost always key him in for 200 hits. Kinsler pisses me off with the crap he swings at and his seemingly lackadaisical defense at times, but he's started off pretty well. C.J. Wilson is really getting the hang of his closer gig, although the rest of the pitching is loaded with question marks (as usual).

Hitting with RISP needs to pick up, and it needs to pick up fast. Ron Washington keeps saying that the "hitting is going to come around," just like he did last year, when it really didn't. There is no way the Ranger offense can keep dropping the ball like they did last year in their home ballpark with the lineup they have. The place is MADE for hitting.

[quote name='ryanbph']well willes does come from the joe torre school of management...which is to only use a limited # of relievers because you don't trust anyone else. You then kill their arm due to overuse and have to look to find someone else to trust.:lol::lol:[/quote]

haha yeah and after tonight's loss. I believe he graduated validictorian of that school.

shoensuck,Heilman, and sosa again? when will it ever stop.

[quote name='integralsmatic']haha yeah and after tonight's loss. I believe he graduated validictorian of that school.

shoensuck,Heilman, and sosa again? when will it ever stop.[/QUOTE]

Willie is an idiot. So is Minaya for not doing anything to help the bullpen. And where the hell is Feliciano!!!!

[quote name='Ski Hawk']Gagne gives up game-tying home run in the top of the 9th in Milwaukee to COREY PATTERSON.

LOL GAGNE[/quote]

And still, the worst part of that sentence is Patterson has a job. Stupid Dusty, get Bruce up in the bigs.

[quote name='craven_fiend']And still, the worst part of that sentence is Patterson has a job. Stupid Dusty, get Bruce up in the bigs.[/quote]

The fact that Patterson and Dusty still have jobs is comical.

This series with Colorado is maddening.

OK, as for starting depth:
Buddy Carlyle: 8 wins in 2007, 20 GS
Chuck James: 11 wins in 2007, 30 GS
Jo-Jo Reyes: 2 wins, 10 GS

We had more available, but we were able to just let some walk. Yes, there is the possibility that our regular starters will get injured and go on the DL. Isn't that a possibility with any pitcher, though? We have the depth with our AAA team (of pichers with MLB experience) that when someone like Hampton needs to go on the DL, we can bring up a pitcher who started 30 games for us last season. We have a guy in Jeff Bennett who can make a spot start in addition to his long-relief role. So if the arms of Glavine or Smoltz need a rest down the stretch, we have guys who can do it. We also don't have to panic if Hampton is out for an extended period like the Mets probably will (we also have more to trade if we want to block a deal).

Yes, there's the question of health. Healthy, I think we have one of, if not the best rotations in baseball top to bottom. Four guys who could potentially win 20 games, if our bullpen stops sucking.

[quote name='Chitown021']The fact that Patterson and Dusty still have jobs is comical.[/quote]

With the same organization even. It saddens me that are a part of the Reds. Wasn't their anyone else they could hire to manage? And why is Patterson playing over Freel and Bruce?

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Jordan Schafer is an idiot.[/QUOTE]

They were talking about how the HGH testing system is wholly inadequate, and impossible to know if someone actually tested positive or not. A lot of people who are being charged with this right now, they may or may not have ever taken it.

Is it too much to ask that the Cubs hit with runners in scoring position?

1 run on 8 hits is ridiculous.

However, Dempster is a beast.

[quote name='Ski Hawk']Is it too much to ask that the Cubs hit with runners in scoring position?

1 run on 8 hits is ridiculous.

However, Dempster is a beast.[/quote]

Dempster has been the biggest surprise for me on the team so far. He was a very mediocre closer at best and now he's doing an excellent job in the rotation. He's on the upswing while Lilly is really struggling.

EDIT: Holy crap! Dempster has only allowed one hit!

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']The Marlins are number 1 in the NL East! I love my fish...[/quote]

They have played 8 games.

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']Let me have my moment :p[/quote]

LOL. Kinda like the Royals. Looks like they're on their way to being 6-2. I hope it lasts but you gotta give them their moment.

[quote name='Ski Hawk']This Cubs game is punishment from God.[/quote]

I know it. No television here since I'm in KC and it's not on WGN (watching the Royals in HD) but I'm keeping track via gamecast on the net.

Sometimes it seems like being a Cubs fan is punishment from God. We've gotten so close only to have some freak event (or perceived event in the case of Bartman) ruin it.

I need to head to bed but I have to see how the Cubs game turns out first. Knowing my luck we'll lose in the 18th inning so I get no sleep and suffer yet another disappointing loss.

EDIT: ARAMIS WITH THE 2 RUN DINGER!!! 4-2 CUBS!!!

TIGERS WIN TIGERS WIN TIGERS WIN!!!

Once again there will be no 0-162 team in the majors...;)

EDIT: You've got to be kidding me! The Pirates just hit a 2 run shot in the bottom of the 14th to tie it AGAIN!!

[quote name='Chitown021']TIGERS WIN TIGERS WIN TIGERS WIN!!!

Once again there will be no 0-162 team in the majors...;)

EDIT: You've got to be kidding me! The Pirates just hit a 2 run shot in the bottom of the 14th to tie it AGAIN!![/QUOTE]

Here we go....ill guess 18 innings.

[quote name='Ski Hawk']3rd time is the charm.

I was hoping Lee could give us some insurance, but if we win, it won't matter.[/quote]

Yeah no lead is safe with this team and the way we like to give away runs right after we score them!

EDIT: I was wondering where Sean Marshall went. I guess the Cubs are using him out of the pen this year?

FINALLY!!!!

moz-screenshot-8.jpg
Product-4484.jpg

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Jordan Schafer is an idiot.[/quote]

he is still a heck of a prospect. the braves have a gem in their farm system with him coming up.

HGH or not..he looks like a good player to me.

dam heilman gave me a scare tonight. the guy let up 3 homeruns in 4 appearances. The jacket needs to fix him because i dont want armando benitez ver. I like the kid too..i may be hard on him..but his potential is stil there..he is just pitching scared and stupid.

Mets signed Claudio Vargas today. Solid low risk high reward type signing. I like it, he should be able to fit in the bullpen, and could be a nice spot starter when we need him. maybe a 5th or 4th guy in the rotation if figueroa doesnt show up.

Break up the Giants! 3 in a row!!! (I'm a Giants fan anytime they play the Cardinals or Brewers). Help my Cubbies get into first place.

[quote name='integralsmatic']dam heilman gave me a scare tonight. the guy let up 3 homeruns in 4 appearances. The jacket needs to fix him because i dont want armando benitez ver. I like the kid too..i may be hard on him..but his potential is stil there..he is just pitching scared and stupid.

Mets signed Claudio Vargas today. Solid low risk high reward type signing. I like it, he should be able to fit in the bullpen, and could be a nice spot starter when we need him. maybe a 5th or 4th guy in the rotation if figueroa doesnt show up.[/QUOTE]

Willie needs to find a new 8th inning guy. Heilman obviously can't handle it. Give it to Feliciano or Smith, anyone but Heilman.

Vargas will be the fifth starter. I can't see Figueroa pitching well. He did not look good out of the bullpen. I guess we will find out right away if I am right though, as he has to pitch against the Brewers in his first start.

I thought Reyes was out last night but a win is a win. They finally took a series from the Phillies after that 9 game skid. Hopefully they gain a little confidence after last night. It's funny to me that Church and Pagan lead the team in RBI's right now.

[quote name='DomLando']Willie needs to find a new 8th inning guy. Heilman obviously can't handle it. Give it to Feliciano or Smith, anyone but Heilman. [/QUOTE]

as long as sanchez can return to his nastiness from 06, he's the man for the job

[quote name='st0neface']as long as sanchez can return to his nastiness from 06, he's the man for the job[/QUOTE]

Yeah but who knows if that will happen. Even if he does return to form, it will take a good amount of time for it to happen. We need someone now.

2nd week of baseball, and its already Yanks/Red Sox. Hopefully the Sox can take 2 of 3 or sweep like they did in their 1st series last year. Have a feeling they will lose tonight with Clay pitching, but maybe he will have a better outing this time. But he's the reason I say 2 of 3. I think Beckett will have a solid start after getting hammered against the Jays and Matsuzaka is on fire right now.

beckett wasn't so bad...he had 4 solid inn...his previous high was 65 pitches...he threw over 80 in the bluejay game...he just tired out..

buckholtz has to get the curve ball down...it was breaking in the middle of the plate, waist high on a lot of the bluejay hitters. I was shocked they didn't tear that weakass pitch up.

Wow a two hitter for Wang. This guy is a beast for the Yankees and they need to retire this guy as a Yankee.

Bucholz wasn't bad at all, only gave up one earned run. It was my least favorite reliever Timlin who pretty much gave the game to the former Mr. Roids Giambi.

Sox got owned, hats off to the Yankees for this game. Now let's hope the Sox can bounce back and take two out of three.

timlin has sucked for awhile...I have no idea why they brought him back. While kyle snyder wasn't getting the job done in the bullpen, it wasn't like javy lopes, or corey were getting it done either and then you throw in mike " I have been mediocre at best for to long" timlin and there is just a bunch of hacks in the bullpen outside of paplebon, okajima, delcarmen (not so hot right now, but had solid # last year) and the new guy they got from the whitesox.

It figures, Timlin is the goat in the opening game against the Yankees. Is there really any reason he was brought back? Other than nostalgia? Is that really a good enough reason. They got rid of Bearbelli, now time to get rid of this hack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back