The 2012/2013 NBA Season Thread

Holy shit is that a crazy trade. Assuming everyone can stay healthy, the Nets should have a damn good line up next year. Now I'm really interested in seeing what Jason Kidd can do as new head coach.

I don't see it as that smart a move on Bostons part though. Why make this trade with someone in your own division? And a team that went to the playoffs this year no less. I don't think those picks are going to be worth much either.
I think it's a move to get the rebuilding started sooner while they can still get something for them.

2vn18uw_zps49ae1e97.jpg

When did Washington change to the pseudo-Bullets primary logo? Regardless, it beats the goddamn wizard.

I can't believe how stupid the nets are.  Just can't wrap my head around it.  They are in a win now position with 2 old ass players, a rookie coach and what used to be a decent core.  Oh well, at least they dump Pierce and Garnett after a year.

Yeah, it's just a win now move, with little risk since they can dump those two when their contracts expire after this year.

Williams, Johnson, Pierce, Garnett and Lopez is a pretty damn solid starting five, with Terry's instant offense off the bench, so they can contend for a title if they all are healthy come post season.

If it doesn't work out, they still have that WIlliams, Johnson, Lopez core to build around when they dump Pierce and Garnett.

Brooklyn threw out their future in the draft yes, but that owner isn't afraid to throw down some cash to land some big free agents, so this doesn't exactly kill their future by any means.

EDIT: Am I going crazy or did the trade include Reggie Evans to begin with? I didn't think MarShon Brooks was part of the trade to begin with...

Last edited by a moderator:
He wasn't. They changed that part of the deal.

Does Brooklyn have a first round pick this decade left to trade?

The Rockets made a bunch of moves today so they can offer Dwight that max contract when the time comes. Brooks and Delfino were cut and Thomas Robinson was traded to the Blazers for two 2nd round picks from this years draft, and two 2nd round picks from the '14 draft.

The Knicks acquired Andrea Bargnani from Toronto in exchange for Marcus Camby, Steve Novak and 3 picks, including a 2016 1st rounder. Questionable move if you ask me but not a bad start to this free agency period...

I would like dwight to go to the Rockets.  I think it gives him the best chance to win a championship...and maybe we won't hear so much about him in that market rather than in LA.

The Knicks acquired Andrea Bargnani from Toronto in exchange for Marcus Camby, Steve Novak and 3 picks, including a 2016 1st rounder. Questionable move if you ask me but not a bad start to this free agency period...

Bargani's value is at an all time low right now. I figure the Knicks will try to use him as a trade chip if he ever rediscovers his game. However, I'm surprised that Toronto balked at trading him for DLee straight up. I understand DLee has a massive contract (expires in 2016) but the guy is a walking double double.

Bargani's value is at an all time low right now. I figure the Knicks will try to use him as a trade chip if he ever rediscovers his game. However, I'm surprised that Toronto balked at trading him for DLee straight up. I understand DLee has a massive contract (expires in 2016) but the guy is a walking double double.
You're right when you say his value is at an all-time low, but unfortunately his contract isn't lol which is why I scratched my head when I first saw the trade. He's really just a big shooter. He doesn't rebound very well and doesn't dominate in the post. His deal isn't up at the end of the year either, he's got another year on it. 2 years 23 million. They just picked up an overpaid shooter. Novak is a shooter and he's also much cheaper.

Maybe they're willing to take a 4th double figure contract (Melo and Amare over 21 mil, Chandler over 14 mil, Bargnani 11mil) to have some serious cap space in the summer of 2015, when they could be done with all 4 of those contracts. Melo has a player option, rest will be unrestricted FAs.

I'm gonna guess they let him go. He's been on the decline his whole career. I'm more interested to see how he fits there with Greivis Vasquez, Austin Rivers, Eric Gordon, and now Jrue Holiday all there in New Orleans already. I'm guessing they're going to try and move Gordon if SAC doesn't match that offer sheet.

You're right when you say his value is at an all-time low, but unfortunately his contract isn't lol which is why I scratched my head when I first saw the trade. He's really just a big shooter. He doesn't rebound very well and doesn't dominate in the post. His deal isn't up at the end of the year either, he's got another year on it. 2 years 23 million. They just picked up an overpaid shooter. Novak is a shooter and he's also much cheaper.

Maybe they're willing to take a 4th double figure contract (Melo and Amare over 21 mil, Chandler over 14 mil, Bargnani 11mil) to have some serious cap space in the summer of 2015, when they could be done with all 4 of those contracts. Melo has a player option, rest will be unrestricted FAs.

I have to agree. The Knicks are thinking along the same lines, 2015 rebuild around Melo. Although, they might try to dump Chandler. Amare is untradeable at this point.

If Gordon is available Indiana will go after him. I'm not sure what they are willing to give up for him but my guess is some combination of Granger and Stephenson.

I have to agree. The Knicks are thinking along the same lines, 2015 rebuild around Melo. Although, they might try to dump Chandler. Amare is untradeable at this point.

If Gordon is available Indiana will go after him. I'm not sure what they are willing to give up for him but my guess is some combination of Granger and Stephenson.
hasn't gordon being injured the last two years , or so? lol

The Spurs are about to overpay Tiago Splitter. Normally I'd complain about him earning more than he deserves, but I love seeing a rival do something terrible :applause:

The Spurs are about to overpay Tiago Splitter. Normally I'd complain about him earning more than he deserves, but I love seeing a rival do something terrible :applause:
he can be good at offense, the main deficiencies is his rebounding, and defense. but not worth 4 yrs for 36 millions dollars. LOL, paying him literally 9 millions a year, he is worth 5 millions at most. way too inconsistent.

it has me wondering how much teams are going to overpaid for andrew bynum, and greg oden now. LOL
Noone is overpaying for Oden but Bynum will get paid. I would be shocked if he signs with the Mavs for less than $10-$12 Mil per season.

I can't belive Bynum has the nuggets to say he's not going to work out for a team until a contract is signed.  Of course a team will give him a max contract and he will probably still not be able to play next year.  I think he's not really interested in playing anymore and is just looking for a huge guaranteed payday before sitting the bench in street clothes the rest of his career.

Three-team deal sends Eric Bledsoe and Caron Butler to the Suns, Jared Dudley and JJ Redick to the Clippers and two second-round picks to the Bucks, according to Yahoo! Sports.

I wanted to see Bledsoe in a Mavs jersey next season =/

Timberwolves and Kevin Martin have agreed to a 4-year, $28 million contract.

I think that's about $1-$2 million a year more than he's worth, but it's the T-Wolves so I'm sure he's an instant upgrade at whoever they have at SG.

Dwight met with the Mavs in a meeting that lasted around 3 hours, then met for the last time with LA. He's now leaving Cali to make his decision.

Now to sit and play the waiting game... :whistle2:|

I'm gonna guess they let him go. He's been on the decline his whole career.
http://www.pelicansreport.com/showthread.php?77367-Pelicans-to-meet-with-Tyreke-Evans-(offer-has-been-made)&p=1113276&viewfull=1#post1113276

I think this post does a great job refuting that. Also Keith Smart was the same coach who cut Jermey Lin and preferred Acie Law over Stephen Curry, his misuse of Evans had been horrid (not to mention the plantar fasciitis in his second and third/lockout year).

Also the Kings were trying to get Iggy and Evans but the deal with Iguodala fell through tonight. Evan's preference from tweets from friends and family have been saying in Sacramento where many would like to see how he operates under a proper coaching staff than the league of extremely cheap coaching options the Magoofs have been parading out this half past decade.

It's nice to have a new owners who are willing to open their pocketbook and a new front office that is not being manipulated like a marionette on a shoe string budget. Haven't heard this much free agent news and rumors in the organization in a long time.

http://www.pelicansreport.com/showthread.php?77367-Pelicans-to-meet-with-Tyreke-Evans-(offer-has-been-made)&p=1113276&viewfull=1#post1113276

I think this post does a great job refuting that. Also Keith Smart was the same coach who cut Jermey Lin and preferred Acie Law over Stephen Curry, his misuse of Evans had been horrid (not to mention the plantar fasciitis in his second and third/lockout year).

Also the Kings were trying to get Iggy and Evans but the deal with Iguodala fell through tonight. Evan's preference from tweets from friends and family have been saying in Sacramento where many would like to see how he operates under a proper coaching staff than the league of extremely cheap coaching options the Magoofs have been parading out this half past decade.

It's nice to have a new owners who are willing to open their pocketbook and a new front office that is not being manipulated like a marionette on a shoe string budget. Haven't heard this much free agent news and rumors in the organization in a long time.
Nice. That post was really good. He went really in depth to back up his statement.

Also, San Antonio re-signed the most overrated player to ever play in the league. http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/03/manu-ginobili-reaches-two-year-deal-to-stay-with-spurs/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Nice. That post was really good. He went really in depth to back up his statement.

Also, San Antonio re-signed the most overrated player to ever play in the league. http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/03/manu-ginobili-reaches-two-year-deal-to-stay-with-spurs/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
The only possible way you could believe that is if you're a total and complete Mavs homer. On a per possession basis, Manu has been better than Kobe. If anything, Manu has been criminally underrated.

His best days are clearly behind him, though.

The only possible way you could believe that is if you're a total and complete Mavs homer. On a per possession basis, Manu has been better than Kobe. If anything, Manu has been criminally underrated.

His best days are clearly behind him, though.
That was exaggeration on my part just emphasizing my hatred for a rival lol

How about this Boston Celtics hire of Brad Stevens from Butler University?

That was exaggeration on my part just emphasizing my hatred for a rival lol

How about this Boston Celtics hire of Brad Stevens from Butler University?

Shocked. I never thought that Stevens would leave the college game.

It looks like the chances of Tyreke Evans becoming a Pelican are pretty high. He's agreed to New Orleans offer sheet and it seems like the Kings don't plan to match it. I've heard that the Kings are trying to work a sign-and-trade so they're not just giving Evans away for nothing, but who knows.

J.R. Smith also got a new deal with the Knicks. 4-years, $24.7 million.

J.R. Smith also got a new deal with the Knicks. 4-years, $24.7 million.
Interesting...he waited a day after Kyle Korver (who got approx 4yr/24mil) and took basically the same money.

Also, smart move by SAC getting Vasquez and Lopez for Tyreke. Better than nothing and Vasquez is a decent PG.

Al Jefferson 3 year/$41 mil deal with the Bobcats. Safe to call him the best Bobcat of all-time?

Also, Earl Clark signed with the Cavs on a 2yr/9mil deal. Marco Bellineli signed 2yr/6mil deal with San Antonio.

So it's Tyreke Evans to the Pelicans in a 3-team trade involving the Trailblazers as well. NO gets Evans, Kings get Greivis Vasquez, and Portland is sending future picks and $$$ to New Orleans for Robin Lopez.

All still verbal but now it's looking like:

Blazers get Lopez (and will eat his ~$1.6m trade kicker) and Terrel Harris. 

Kings get Vasquez, and a future 2nd round pick from Portland.

Pelicans get Evans and Jeff Withey.

Blazers get a starting center. Pelicans get Evans, who is willing to come off the bench as a super-sub. Kings get something for Reke rather than allow him to walk for nothing. Not too shabby for all the teams involved.

Al Jefferson 3 year/$41 mil deal with the Bobcats. Safe to call him the best Bobcat of all-time?

Also, Earl Clark signed with the Cavs on a 2yr/9mil deal. Marco Bellineli signed 2yr/6mil deal with San Antonio.
why marco bellineli? he is basically a better shooting guard than ginoboli at this point, but plays literally no defense, or does anything else for that matter. A very one dimensional player. I Guess the market must be dry.

Mavs could use another solid G...I wonder how much longer CP will want to stay with the LAC. They can keep making runs but they might never advance 

Andre Igoudala signed a 4yr deal with the Warriors, according to Yahoo! Sports.

Wish he would've waited for Dwight, then my Mavs would've been a contender for him.

EDIT:  Looks like GS is sending Biedrins, Jefferson and Rush, and some 1st rd picks to Utah now. Explains where the cap space will come from for the 48mil deal.

bread's done
Back