The 2013-14 NFL Thread

Lovie Smith is a really fantastic hire for the Bucs. As a Panthers fan, it's scary how much talent he will have to manipulate next year. 

I also feel bad for Chud. His plans from the beginning were to build that team through the draft over a couple of years. They did not even really give him a chance. I hope he returns to Carolina next year. What he was able to do with Cam was great. Shula has not been able to recreate it. If we can hold on to McDermott and get Chud back, we could be a real juggernaut next year. Time that all with drafting/signing a talented wide receiver and our offense would be monuments better.

I'm not picking with the spread but here goes...

• Kansas City Chiefs @ Indianapolis Colts [Jan. 4, 4:35 p.m. EST] [IND -2.5] [COLTS]
  • New Orleans Saints @ Philadelphia Eagles [Jan. 4, 8:10 p.m. EST] [PHI -2.5] [SAINTS]
  • San Diego Chargers @ Cincinnati Bengals [Jan. 5, 1:05 p.m. EST] [CIN -7] [BENGALS]
  • San Francisco 49ers @ Green Bay Packers [Jan. 5, 4:40 p.m. EST] [SF -3] [49ERS]
I think one home favorite is going to lose and I think the Eagles are the best guess based on their crappy home record and the fact that they looked mostly awful against the no-Romo Cowboys last week in a win or go home game.  The Saints are also pretty good (although they suck on the road more than the Eagles suck at home).

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys will remain terrible with Jeff Fisher. As a Titans fan nothing made me happier than seeing him leave.
With Jeff Fisher, I'm just glad we have someone who has been an NFL head coach and who has been to the Super Bowl. The Rams haven't had someone with prior experience as a head coach since the Rams won Super Bowl XXXIV.

Another losing season sucks, but at least it's not another 1-15 season. Jeff Fisher's first two seasons of 7-9 (2013) and 7-8-1 (2012) is a huge improvement over Spagnuolo's last 2-14 (2011) season.

Try being a Raiders fan
I dunno... Have they ever gone 1-15 like the Rams?

Lovie Smith is a really fantastic hire for the Bucs. As a Panthers fan, it's scary how much talent he will have to manipulate next year.

I hope he returns to Carolina next year. What he was able to do with Cam was great. Shula has not been able to recreate it. If we can hold on to McDermott and get Chud back, we could be a real juggernaut next year. Time that all with drafting/signing a talented wide receiver and our offense would be monuments better.
I agree with all of this. Shula's playcalling has drove me nuts all year. Then again, Chud's drove me nuts too. fuck it, let's get Whisenhunt!

Playoff picks in bold:

Kansas City Chiefs @ Indianapolis Colts

New Orleans Saints @ Philadelphia Eagles

San Diego Chargers @ Cincinnati Bengals

San Francisco 49ers @ Green Bay Packers

Kansas City Chiefs @ Indianapolis Colts

New Orleans Saints @ Philadelphia Eagles

San Diego Chargers @ Cincinnati Bengals

San Francisco 49ers @ Green Bay Packers
I'm excited for Lovie and Tedford in Tampa Bay. I hope the rumors about Marinelli being the defensive coordinator are true, because TB really needs some help with that young & talented (but really unpolished) D-Line.

My picks

Kansas City Chiefs @ Indianapolis Colts (Despite the fact the Chiefs are 2-5 to end the season)

New Orleans Saints @ Philadelphia Eagles (C'mon, Saints are the better team)

San Diego Chargers @ Cincinnati Bengals (Chargers will play them better than expected but home team wins)

San Francisco 49ers @ Green Bay Packers (The Pack used up all their luck last week)

I'm going to go with:

Chiefs over Colts - Really, this game could go either way.

Saints over Eagles - Despite the fact that the Saints aren't that great on the Road.

Bengals over Chargers - Easiest pick unless Dalton tosses a clunker up.

Packers over 49ers - If Carson Palmer dismantled that secondary, I hate to see what Aaron Rodgers does to it. 

With Jeff Fisher, I'm just glad we have someone who has been an NFL head coach and who has been to the Super Bowl. The Rams haven't had someone with prior experience as a head coach since the Rams won Super Bowl XXXIV.

Another losing season sucks, but at least it's not another 1-15 season. Jeff Fisher's first two seasons of 7-9 (2013) and 7-8-1 (2012) is a huge improvement over Spagnuolo's last 2-14 (2011) season.

I dunno... Have they ever gone 1-15 like the Rams?
Nope. 2-14 in 06 and we go ahead and draft jamarcus russell in 07. Hopefully with the pile of money they will have, they can spend it wisely this offseason.

http://deadspin.com/i-was-an-nfl-player-until-i-was-fired-by-two-cowards-an-1493208214

Former Minnesota punter Chris Kluwe wrote up an interesting account of his experiences talking about supporting gay marriage that lead to him being released by the team.

Throughout the months of September, October, and November, Minnesota Vikings special-teams coordinator Mike Priefer would use homophobic language in my presence. He had not done so during minicamps or fall camp that year, nor had he done so during the 2011 season. He would ask me if I had written any letters defending "the gays" recently and denounce as disgusting the idea that two men would kiss, and he would constantly belittle or demean any idea of acceptance or tolerance. I tried to laugh these off while also responding with the notion that perhaps they were human beings who deserved to be treated as human beings. Mike Priefer also said on multiple occasions that I would wind up burning in hell with the gays, and that the only truth was Jesus Christ and the Bible. He said all this in a semi-joking tone, and I responded in kind, as I felt a yelling match with my coach over human rights would greatly diminish my chances of remaining employed. I felt uncomfortable each time Mike Priefer said these things. After all, he was directly responsible for reviewing my job performance, but I hoped that after the vote concluded in Minnesota his behavior would taper off and eventually stop.

I'm pulling for Chiefs, Chargers, Packers and Eagles.

http://deadspin.com/i-was-an-nfl-player-until-i-was-fired-by-two-cowards-an-1493208214

Former Minnesota punter Chris Kluwe wrote up an interesting account of his experiences talking about supporting gay marriage that lead to him being released by the team.
They have an item up about Priefer's response stating Kluwe is full of it.

I vehemently deny today's allegations made by Chris Kluwe.

I want to be clear that I do not tolerate discrimination of any type and am respectful of all individuals. I personally have gay family members who I love and support just as I do any family member.

The primary reason I entered coaching was to affect people in a positive way. As a coach, I have always created an accepting environment for my players, including Chris, and have looked to support them both on and off the field.

The comments today have not only attacked my character and insulted my professionalism, but they have also impacted my family. While my career focus is to be a great professional football coach, my number one priority has always been to be a protective husband and father to my wife and children.

I will continue to work hard for the Minnesota Vikings, the Wilf family and all of our loyal fans.
While none of us know for sure which side is telling the most truth, I'm leaning towards Kluwe. I believe in the article it was stating that Priefer was hoping to try for the headcoach position. Doubt that'll happen now.

If Priefer didn't say that stuff, Kluwe wouldn't have any reason to even make it up. I may not have seen everything Kluwe's ever written, but I've seen enough to give me the impression that he doesn't make things up when he has nothing just to push an agenda. One of the points of his account of the whole thing is that Priefer's the only in-house guy up for the head coach position in Minnesota and he wanted to bring this to light because he didn't want a bigot like that to get rewarded for his behavior. Priefer's just protecting his own image because that is what he has to do to get the best chance at getting the job.

I definitely don't think Kluwe is making any of it up. I do believe if he had posted something like this right after he was let go it wouldn't have been received as easily because it would've been immediately seen as a retaliatory gesture for being let go. A year later? Not so easy of a jump, while it still will be made. Priefer's whole statement is basically "I've got (some number) gay friends/family, how could I be a bigot?" I've always disliked that argument for anything.

I'm not buying Kluwe's story in its entirety. He mentioned, multiple times, how he could have averaged more yards per punt if only the coaches weren't telling him to kick to his coverage. Just like every other punter in the history of the NFL who had halfway intelligent coaches.

There are other items, too, but that alone gives me suspicion that he has a bit of a persecution complex or is otherwise attention seeking. In Kluwe's own words, his teammates were making gay jokes and Kluwe was laughing with them; how are we supposed to know if Priefer wasn't doing the same? Remove the context and Kluwe's approving tone, and his teammates' jokes would come off badly as well.

The most likely answer is that the Vikings could get a cheaper, younger, less opinionated person who could perform the job just as competently as Kluwe. Even if that cheaper and younger person is less skilled, perhaps the Vikings simply didn't a punter saying things like 'lustful cockmonster' and having those sorts of remarks associated with the team. Other players are released from teams that felt the player's conduct is detrimental to the franchise in some way - hell, Randy freaking Moss was run out of town. Why is Kluwe special?

Take it with a grain of salt.

Remember this deadspin article?

http://deadspin.com/former-college-football-player-heres-why-fans-owe-us-1456199999

Complete bullshit written by a former disgruntled JMU player. I played Division 1 football (FCS) while in college and I can sympathize with some of his points however the author was outed on several college fooball threads (anygivenstaturday, CAA boards, JMU boards, etc.) as blatantly lying about his claims.

I'm not saying Kluwe is lying and he should get the benefit of the doubt since he actually had guts to sign his name to his article but I'd wait until someone else came forth and supported his claims.

Take it with a grain of salt.

Remember this deadspin article?

http://deadspin.com/former-college-football-player-heres-why-fans-owe-us-1456199999

Complete bullshit written by a former disgruntled JMU player. I played Division 1 football (FCS) while in college and I can sympathize with some of his points however the author was outed on several college fooball threads (anygivenstaturday, CAA boards, JMU boards, etc.) as blatantly lying about his claims.

I'm not saying Kluwe is lying and he should get the benefit of the doubt since he actually had guts to sign his name to his article but I'd wait until someone else came forth and supported his claims.
How does that article disprove what Kluwe's written? Kluwe's written and spoken on a number of social/political issues in and around football over the past year or two and I don't believe he's gained some reputation as a liar/bullshitter, which gives me enough of a reason to believe he's at least mostly telling the truth on this subject.

I definitely don't think Kluwe is making any of it up. I do believe if he had posted something like this right after he was let go it wouldn't have been received as easily because it would've been immediately seen as a retaliatory gesture for being let go. A year later? Not so easy of a jump, while it still will be made. Priefer's whole statement is basically "I've got (some number) gay friends/family, how could I be a bigot?" I've always disliked that argument for anything.
Yeah, I'm sure he's nice to his own family members, but that doesn't mean he can't be a bigot to those outside of his inner circle.

I'm not buying Kluwe's story in its entirety. He mentioned, multiple times, how he could have averaged more yards per punt if only the coaches weren't telling him to kick to his coverage. Just like every other punter in the history of the NFL who had halfway intelligent coaches.

There are other items, too, but that alone gives me suspicion that he has a bit of a persecution complex or is otherwise attention seeking. In Kluwe's own words, his teammates were making gay jokes and Kluwe was laughing with them; how are we supposed to know if Priefer wasn't doing the same? Remove the context and Kluwe's approving tone, and his teammates' jokes would come off badly as well.

The most likely answer is that the Vikings could get a cheaper, younger, less opinionated person who could perform the job just as competently as Kluwe. Even if that cheaper and younger person is less skilled, perhaps the Vikings simply didn't a punter saying things like 'lustful cockmonster' and having those sorts of remarks associated with the team. Other players are released from teams that felt the player's conduct is detrimental to the franchise in some way - hell, Randy freaking Moss was run out of town. Why is Kluwe special?
You might have misread that part of the article since he says they weren't making gay jokes, but having some fun about his recent articles and suggesting that he should lead the gay pride parade as a result. The context suggests they were probably laughing about responses and such to those articles by homophobes.

We were laughing over one of the recent articles I had written supporting same-sex marriage rights, and one of my teammates made a joking remark about me leading the Pride parade. As we sat down in our chairs, Mike Priefer, in one of the meanest voices I can ever recall hearing, said: "We should round up all the gays, send them to an island, and then nuke it until it glows." The room grew intensely quiet, and none of the players said a word for the rest of the meeting. The atmosphere was decidedly tense. I had never had an interaction that hostile with any of my teammates on this issue—some didn't agree with me, but our conversations were always civil and respectful. Afterward, several told me that what Mike Priefer had said was "messed up."
Those guys had experience with the man to be able to tell when he's serious about something and when he's not, especially after Kluwe supposedly endured several sessions of berating anti-gay remarks over the course of that season. A good journalist could find out who the other guys were at that meeting to see if they could corroborate the story and the other things that Priefer had said, so maybe we'll see in the coming days or weeks. Kluwe fully admits that writing this article likely means he's burning any bridges he could have to get back in the NFL, but he has other things he can do like work with his band, writing books, and doing more political work. There's plenty of wiggle room in the article itself where he admits that he doesn't have definitive proof that all of those events lead to his release, but that the course of events makes it seem likely that they're all related.

Dalton and Rivers in the same playoff game is too ridiculous to comprehend.  ANY other match-up and you bet against both of them without hesitation.  This is a definite stay-away.

I'm rooting for the Chiefs (because Andy Reid winning it all in his first year away from Philly would be too good), the Bengals (because I think they had a much better season and they will make a better Round 2 game), the Packers (because I hate the 49ers and their head coach) and the Saints (because I hate the Eagles almost as much as I love the Giants).

Wouldn't surprise me at all if I went 0 for 4 on my wishlist though.  Oh well.

It's really hard for me to root for any team outside of the Bengals this weekend because I'm either conflicted on what I want for us -- 49ers/Packers (who would be easier matchup) and Saints/Eagles (Saints go to Seattle to get beat or Eagles come to Charlotte and 49ers/Packers go to Seattle to potentially give Carolina homefield in NFC Championship game) -- or who I want to see win. Watching the NFC games is going to be interesting.

I know it's somewhat late notice, but anyone here who wants to do a Fantasy Playoff Challenge -- I set up a CAG group.

Feel free to join. It's free.

Group Name: CheapyD's All-Stars
Group Password: cheapyd
Group Website: Join Now

To join the group, follow the link above or go to http://playoffchallenge.fantasy.nfl.com/group/161193/join?icampaign=playoffchallenge_lm_email_invite&mp=b3f7231f3d6b5b2e08fa463e27357d43.
I know I don't post here a ton, but I joined. I haven't play fantasy for a while!

Now that Dan Dierdorf has retired, Mike Mayock is the #1 worst football commentator. Holy shit. I think I might dislike him more than I do Dierdorf.
IxDMiMf.jpg

Colts with that joe flacco horseshoe luck. Not surprising that they've only been able to do anything every time chiefs players keep dropping like flies.

thats exactly what i was talking about, its like you change the channel change back and its a player down on the field killing momentum every time.

The Titans fired Head Coach Mike Munchak.
Good. He made his bed rushing Locker back just to get him injured again. Hopefully the team gives up on this nonsense idea of cutting Chris Johnson and replacing Locker as QB now that Jay Cutler has been re-signed (thank God!) by the Bears anyway. The Titans last few drafts have been very productive (Warmack, Schwenke, Hunter, Wright, Brown, etc). Go back a third year and you can add Locker and Jurrell Casey to that list.

There's no damn reason to rush a team that young unless you're more worried about your job than you are the team. Seriously...all he had to do was finish 9-7 (or maybe even 8-8) and management would have been happy. It takes a special kind of coach to fuck that up.

Now that Dan Dierdorf has retired, Mike Mayock is the #1 worst football commentator. Holy shit. I think I might dislike him more than I do Dierdorf.
People realize this guy had a pretty good track record until his later years right?

Epic collapse by KC. To be fair they lost a million players during the game.

Why did the Saints just call a running play on 3rd and 11? Didn't make sense to me. Then they kick it to Jackson who is a good punt returner lol

lol eagles d letting a bama bust in Ingram run all over them.

Sigh 1 nfl golden boy has advanced, actually it might be for the better since soft ass overrated Brees will get his shit pushed in again by Seattle.

bread's done
Back