The 2013/2014 NBA Thread (LBJ is a Cav)

Holy crap. Paul George's leg just broke during the team USA scrimmage. That looked nasty, might be done for the year

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul George just Kevin Ware'd himself. Damn you Harden. Hibbert literally is the num 1 guy now in Indiana.

Video for those who want to stomach it.  It's horrible.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd3B2DsHQTg

Don't Bone injuries heal faster than ligaments. Was Kevin Ware playing in the same year his injury happen and his was twice as worst.

Now they're talking about how the basket is closer to the baseline than the NBA.  They're saying the base of the basket is 2-1/2' from the baseline.

^ it's a career threatening injury. I think he will overcome it but it's so gruesome.

He's not playing this year.
well, he still set up for life compare to normal/ average working folk with the 80-90 million contract extension he signed. unless he gets amensty. he will also have access to the world's top/best medical treatment.

I was at the game tonight and didn't realize it was as bad as it is until I saw the replay...The whole crowd let out an 'Oooooooh!' but I thought it was a hard foul or something common. I bet only a handful in the audience knew of the severity. Even though a lot of people were losing out on money (luckily my tickets were provided by the USO), nobody was upset when they called the game early...I didn't hear a single complaint walking out of the arena. There was a real feeling of sorrow as everybody walked out...it's unfortunate.

Get well soon PG.

I just get irritated when people start talking about the amnesty clause when 90% of people have no idea how it works. 

As a Pacers fan, after all the shit that has happened in the past 9 years this is just unbearable.  A guy that could be a superstar decides to stay here, going into what could be a career defining year and now this.

P.S.  I'm glad that douchebag Ron Artest has to play in China now.  Yes, Ron Artest.

I was watching the game to see Derrick Rose and didn't catch how bad Paul George's injury was til the replay. It's horrible. Granted, it hurts the Bulls' competition, but I don't ever want to see a player go down like that.

Could happen at any time someone is engaging in intense physical activity. If I am not mistaken, there have not been many major injuries that have occurred due to participation in USA basketball, so despite the rumblings, I doubt this is going to stop most guys from playing.

Because that sort of freak accident can't occur in NBA games? They should just stop playing altogether if they're afraid of getting hurt.
They're getting paid to play in NBA games. Companies who employ people in dangerous work fields wouldn't allow their paid employees to work for free for another employer, and for good reason.

Yup. That's why Cuban dislikes the current system.
I think Cuban (one of my favorite owners) is wrong on this one (not from a financial but from a national pride perspective). The most watched sporting event on the planet is the World Cup and the best players in the world compete in it and unfortunately sometimes get injured. In soccer, unlike the NBA, the financial impact of such injuries is far greater for the team which owns the players rights. Cuban bitches about Dirk or Manu having to play, but if you ask the players they will tell you they want to play. It's not always about money.

I think Cuban (one of my favorite owners) is wrong on this one (not from a financial but from a national pride perspective). The most watched sporting event on the planet is the World Cup and the best players in the world compete in it and unfortunately sometimes get injured. In soccer, unlike the NBA, the financial impact of such injuries is far greater for the team which owns the players rights. Cuban bitches about Dirk or Manu having to play, but if you ask the players they will tell you they want to play. It's not always about money.
I would agree if the team were a large market team like LA, Chicago or NY. We're talking about a small market team existing on the margins of profitability. Before Paul George the only star for Indiana was Reggie Miller, maybe Jermaine O'Neal. After that there is nobody unless you want to go back into the ABA days. Stars normally don't stay in small markets and when one is lost, it has a huge impact on smaller market teams. Larger market teams have fewer issues rebounding since they can usually attract other team's players (unless your name is Jim Buss).

I would agree if the team were a large market team like LA, Chicago or NY. We're talking about a small market team existing on the margins of profitability. Before Paul George the only star for Indiana was Reggie Miller, maybe Jermaine O'Neal. After that there is nobody unless you want to go back into the ABA days. Stars normally don't stay in small markets and when one is lost, it has a huge impact on smaller market teams. Larger market teams have fewer issues rebounding since they can usually attract other team's players (unless your name is Jim Buss).
While everything you said is true, what about the Knicks? Lakers only had maybe 4 bad years. The knicks have sucked for the longest.

While everything you said is true, what about the Knicks? Lakers only had maybe 4 bad years. The knicks have sucked for the longest.
Knick fans will never have to worry about their team relocating because of low profits. The fact that they've sucked for so long is all on Dolan.

The Knicks dont need star players to make a profit. They haven't been really competitive for 15-20 years, no titles in 40 years yet they are most valuable NBA franchise. They were valued at around 1 billion dollars last year, and I believe the Lakers were around $900 million. I bet the Clippers selling for $2 billion sky rocketed the Knicks value.

Seems as though the Cavs and Minnesota have reached an agreement involving Love and Wiggins. ESPN reports a 3 team deal that would send Bennett to the sixers along with wiggins and possibly thaddeus young to the wolves. Deal cannot be made until Aug 23rd per wiggins' rookie contract.

Seems as though the Cavs and Minnesota have reached an agreement involving Love and Wiggins. ESPN reports a 3 team deal that would send Bennett to the sixers along with wiggins and possibly thaddeus young to the wolves. Deal cannot be made until Aug 23rd per wiggins' rookie contract.
If Cleveland gets Love without giving up Waiters, they win this deal easily imo

Lol Cleveland and Dan Gilbert trying to do the very thing they cried and bitched about when it came to Miami and Lakers. Pos organization to the fullest

Lol Cleveland and Dan Gilbert trying to do the very thing they cried and bitched about when it came to Miami and Lakers. Pos organization to the fullest
Dan Gilbert is a hypocrite but it doesn't change the fact that the NBA lacks competitive balance. That is what he and fellow small market owners were bitching about.

If Cleveland gets Love without giving up Waiters, they win this deal easily imo
Waiters is an inefficient chucker. He shoots more shots from the 16-23 foot range than from any other distance. Losing him would mean very little, especially with Miller and possibly Ray Allen coming on board. Getting Love without trading Wiggins would have been a heist.

Waiters is an inefficient chucker. He shoots more shots from the 16-23 foot range than from any other distance. Losing him would mean very little, especially with Miller and possibly Ray Allen coming on board. Getting Love without trading Wiggins would have been a heist.
I agree somewhat, but the upside a 22 year old Waiters has makes him worth hanging onto imo that's why I feel Cleveland won this deal. I remember seeing his name in the original (or one of them at least) package offer for Love. Wiggins, Waiters, Bennett and another first rounder would've been too much.

Waiters averaged nearly 20 ppg after the All Star break last season. He's a good piece to have around.
His post-break ORtg was 104, even with a hot April. League average was 106.7. His true shooting percentage was also slightly below league average. Even with the best stretch of basketball of his career, he was below league average offensively. If he's the holdup in a Kevin Love deal, the GM in question should be fired and never have a job in the NBA again.

Sounds like a bunch of meaningless stats to me.
ORtg is a measurement of offensive efficiency, as measured by shooting percentages and free throw, offensive rebound, turnover, and assist rates. True shooting percentage takes two point FG%, three point FG%, and FT%, and condenses them down into a single percentage. True shooting percentage is roughly the equivalent of OPS in baseball, which is hardly some obscure concept.

I'm saying that watching him play is a lot more valuable than going off of stats alone. He's a good scorer that will easily benefit from the new additions to the team and will be a valuable part of the team whether he becomes a starter or comes off the bench.

I'm saying that watching him play is a lot more valuable than going off of stats alone. He's a good scorer that will easily benefit from the new additions to the team and will be a valuable part of the team whether he becomes a starter or comes off the bench.
Who cares how good he could theoretically be if he shoots the least efficient shot most often? This is like arguing that ______ would be better if he stopped chasing pitches out of the strike zone. Guess what? They aren't going to stop chasing pitches out of the strike zone, it's rare for a player to change drastically once they make it to the pros. If Waiters was going to improve dramatically, he wouldn't have taken a step backwards with his shot selection last season. He would have made an incremental advancement.

Aside from having terrible shot selection, he was terrible from the free throw line. He has decent athleticism. Everything else about him is average or below average, shooting included.

Who cares how good he could theoretically be if he shoots the least efficient shot most often? This is like arguing that ______ would be better if he stopped chasing pitches out of the strike zone. Guess what? They aren't going to stop chasing pitches out of the strike zone, it's rare for a player to change drastically once they make it to the pros. If Waiters was going to improve dramatically, he wouldn't have taken a step backwards with his shot selection last season. He would have made an incremental advancement.

Aside from having terrible shot selection, he was terrible from the free throw line. He has decent athleticism. Everything else about him is average or below average, shooting included.
Who's talking about him making drastic improvements? I said he's a good piece to have on this team. That's it. Feel free to move on if you want to talk about what his stats really mean and how he'll never amount to anything or whatever because I'm not interested in that at all.

Who's talking about him making drastic improvements? I said he's a good piece to have on this team. That's it. Feel free to move on if you want to talk about what his stats really mean and how he'll never amount to anything or whatever because I'm not interested in that at all.
A below average player is not a good piece to have on any team, let alone a team that is best suited by surrounding its best player with excellent perimeter shooters and willing defenders. I get it, you're a homer, you grow to like most of your favorite team's players.

A below average player is not a good piece to have on any team, let alone a team that is best suited by surrounding its best player with excellent perimeter shooters and willing defenders. I get it, you're a homer, you grow to like most of your favorite team's players.
Stats are great at predicting future returns if baseline conditions stay the same or are somewhat similar. Playing with James and Love will drastically change the baseline conditions. Their presence on the court will afford Waiters more open looks at the basket, which in turn will improve his shot selection. Additionally, he'll be asked to do far less than before meaning that he should be able to give you greater output whenever he is on the court, allowing him to play at a higher level. All these factors should result in improved efficiency numbers. Either way by the end of the season we'll all know what type of player Waiters really is.

bread's done
Back